2017-10-22 15:59:00 (edited by annellin 2019-02-04 13:08:31)

Update 2019: The new connection info is:
play.islands-game.live, post 3000. Read post 16 for more info.
====
Islands is a game released  October 2017. I joined today, and it looks really interesting. Theyre in beta stage.
This is from mud connect:
" site: islands.genesismuds.com 3000 [216.136.9.8]
email: islands (at) genesis-mud (dot) com
  theme: modern, mystery, supernatural, island life

Primary Language: English
Minimum Players: Under 10
Multi-Play: Yes
Mapping: Offline
Crafting: Custom Crafting System
Player Reviews Refused
Class-less System
Multi-classing Allowed
Equipment Saved
Quests Available
Character Approval Unnecessary
Roleplaying Is Enforced
Newbie friendly
Skill & Level-Based Training System
Detailed Character Creation
Player Crafting System
Player Cities
Screen-Reader Friendly
World is all original
Small World (under 3,000 rooms)
Generally Adult-Oriented
Mud is open to players for testing
Islands is a modern mystery RPG set in the small archipelago country of Paanau Ariki in the South Pacific. A popular tourist destination, the islands feature beautiful beaches and coral reefs, an exotic jungle, and bustling cities and towns. The islands have a rich history of natives, Dutch explorers and Spanish explorers. It was sold to the Germans by the Spanish, and then after World War I, given to the Japanese as part of the South Pacific Mandate. Later, it was taken from the Japanese by the Americans in World War II, and now is an American territory. This blend of cultures leads to an interesting collection of towns and architecture throughout the island.

But all is not picture perfect in the islands of Paanau Ariki.  Petty criminals roam the city of Kopu Bay. After a sudden influx of money from the government, Kopu Bay has been being upgraded and repaired, while other areas have been neglected. The town of Okuzaki is in open rebellion and under police lockdown, and are protesting the use of the money and questioning the receipt of it. Recent typhoons have destroyed several areas and blocked the jungle, and citizens and tourists are needed to help clean up.

We are currently open, but still a work in progress (beta), and do not (at the moment) have a combat system, though there are other skill systems in place at the moment.

We are more focused on hosting role-playing events, and role-playing. We are looking for active players who prefer story-telling and RP to the systems bit. The staff is always willing to help players build their character's storylines, and we are always open to providing the equipment for that. We also are happy to implement things into the game to help build your character, if you choose to be someone more 'local' and less of a tourist.

We do have the beginnings of a skill system in place (harvesting, fishing, painting, foraging, photography, economics, clamming, singing). Several things such as scuba diving, cooking, hacking, lockpicking, first aid and combat is in the works."
And i'll show you a few help files from the game.
"INTRODUCTION
-------------------------
Welcome to Islands, a modern day paranormal/mystery text-based RPG. It is set in the South Pacific on a fictional group of islands known as the Paanau Ariki Islands. You will find a wide variety of areas to explore. Currently, the game is in its beginning stages, and may not have as many features as you may be used to with other games. We are actively working on expanding features, and enjoy player input. We hope that in the mean time, you will enjoy the companionship of others and what events we can run while we work on implementing a combat and skill system."

"HARVESTING
Hamamas Diwai Plantesan is a well known local fruit plantation. It serves as both a tourist destination and a real world experience. If you visit Areta at the produce stand just inside of the plantation, and ASK ARETA FOR JOB, she will let you know what fruits she needs the most of at that time. Grab a crate and head out to the orchards.
Your crate will make it easier to sell fruits to Areta, but she is very picky about what quality of fruit will count towards your job. Once you've found the appropriate fruit trees, go ahead and HARVEST the FRUIT you've been assigned. Fill up your crate and take it back to Areta to SELL. When you complete your job, she will reward you with a large monetary bonus.
Mind the armed guards on the plantesan. They don't take too kindly to people harvesting without a job, or harvesting the wrong kind of fruit. In fact, it's considered to be stealing, so be sure you are doing an honest's days work." And many more, I'm still learning what we can do too. The game looks cool, and it's worth a try. This is the description of the smartwatch you receive when creating your character, it made me smile. "It reads: 7:57 a.m.
This is the basic model of the smartwatch. It has a square screen that shows the latest FaceSpace posts. A hidden speaker can be toggled to read the posts with text-to-speech technology. The band is canvas." Hope to see you around!

"Heroes aren’t always the ones who win. They’re the ones who lose, sometimes. But they keep fighting, they keep coming back. They don’t give up. That’s what makes them heroes."

2017-10-22 16:30:13

can not connect to 3000

2017-10-22 16:42:04

That's strange, how you tiped it?

"Heroes aren’t always the ones who win. They’re the ones who lose, sometimes. But they keep fighting, they keep coming back. They don’t give up. That’s what makes them heroes."

2017-10-22 20:32:38

For sure I will install vipmud and I will definitely try this.
smile

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2017-10-22 23:07:14

I hate games where they've got 'RP enforced'. Unless they're generous about it -- as in, their polite about it -- I won't tolerate admins of a game forcing me to act like someone I'm not.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-10-23 04:40:13

oooh this sounds awesome sauce!!!
Sounds like they haven't got many players though, so we shall see.
I do love my rp intensive muds. smile

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches with in the soul, that sings the tune without the words and never stops at all."
Emily Dickenson

2017-10-23 06:23:04

i using vip mud,the message is can not connect to 3000

2017-10-23 06:30:14

Sorry for the double post.
Okay so I played this for a bit and... eh, not my thing.
Mostly because 1. for a rp inforced mud, the emoting system is subpar at absolute best.
2. There aren't enough help files.
3. there is no newbie channel, or ooc channel where you can ask newbie related questions, so it's either do or die, since the communication generally is all in character.
So yeah, it's pretty subpar.

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches with in the soul, that sings the tune without the words and never stops at all."
Emily Dickenson

2017-10-23 07:28:31

Silvermoon, theyre still working on it. it is in beta, and we need to help them. we cant expect it to be fully playable if we don't tell them what we want. they'll get players in time. they just added a taxi system. ill play because I want to help. smile Snow, I'm not sure what's wrong there, all other people can connect from what I saw...sorry that I can't help more.
Ethin, the game is modern, so feel free to act like youre yourself. My character was talking about modern books etc, and no one complained.

2017-10-23 15:37:35

my problem is,i can not know what kind is can look,or can enter inside

2017-10-23 16:47:36

This is basically the new Motus Operandi, the former modern game from play.net. I'll be interested to see where this goes, but nothing compares right now to MO.

2017-10-23 18:58:48

@orin What is MO?
To all the others.. People, this game is still in Beta. Therefore, it makes sense that things aren't as complete as we expect. I'm willing to help the admins of the game, sinse this game seems to have potential.

2017-10-23 19:19:09

I like it alot, but I do not know how to play corectly.

2017-10-23 21:27:28

Feel free to ask here your questions and ill try to answer. for the ones who don't know how to move around, this is a help file they just added help movement.
"Navigating through the Paanau Ariki Islands is easy! Follow these simple directions for success.
When you first enter a room, or when you LOOK, you will see the room description.
Reading the description will help you find out where you need to go!
DIRECTIONS:
-----------
Obvious exits: north, northeast, east
Typing NORTH or N will send you north. Typing NE (or NORTHEAST) will send you northeast. And so on.
PORTALS:
-----------
You also see a wooden bench, a wide marble archway, and a trashcan.
Typing GO ARCHWAY will move you through the archway into the next room.
Sometimes doorways and portals will be hidden in a room description, instead of the "You also see" line.
[Downtown, Promenade]
Guarded by three lines of horizontal wrought iron rails, the beachfront promenade is punctuated by an array of independent businesses and entertainment venues, offering fantastic views of the powdery, crescent shaped beach and the glistening tropical bay. A discord of loud clanging and rapping resounds from the ongoing construction as laborers work to construct new buildings. The brightly advertised Enjoim Juice Bar is a few doors down from a small shop with a dingy bay window.
Obvious exits: east and west
>
Here, you can go W or E, but also enter the JUICE BAR or the SMALL SHOP that are in the description.
OTHER MOVEMENT:
-----------
At times, spe
cial commands will be needed to navigate through an area. You may have to CLIMB a cliff instead of using GO.
You may have to JUMP from one area to another. SWIMming may be necessary to get across a river, for example.
GROUPS:
-----------
You can JOIN someone to follow them around wherever they go! If you'd like to bring a friend along with you when you are on the road, just HOLD the PERSON to grab their hand and take them with you.
NOTES:
-----------
Currently, in most places, you cannot move unless you are standing. If you are in a group, you will be left behind if your group leader moves and you are not standing. If you are leading a group, people will be left behind if they are not standing."
help INTERACTION
"Islands is a highly interactive game. You can interact with both people (see HELP SOCIALS) and objects. There are some basic things to know about interacting with objects.
BASIC INTERACTIONS
-----------
Most objects will have a base noun you can refer to it by, as well as more specific two-word name that helps you specify which item you mean.
a pair of black jeans with faded knees
You can use JEANS or BLACK JEANS to specify it in an interaction. Example: WEAR JEANS or WEAR BLACK JEANS
ORDINALS
-----------
When you have two similar items, you can use ordinals to specify what you mean instead.
a pair of black jeans with faded knees   &   a pair of black jeans with cuffed hems
You can use FIRST JEANS or SECOND JEANS, or FIRST BLACK JEANS, or SECOND BLACK JEANS to specify. Example: WEAR FIRST BLACK JEANS
*NOTE: TAP is designed to help you figure out things in your bags. You do not have to specify your bag. TAP FIRST T-SHIRT, TAP SECOND T-SHIRT, TAP THIRD T-SHIRT, etc -- That will indicate to you which items are which in your containers (or out of containers if they are not in one) to help you know which one to get or interact with.
ONLY YOUR STUFF
-----------
You can use the word MY to limit your selections to things you are holding, wearing, or storing in a bag on your person. You should try to use MY at all times when putting things
into a container you are wearing to avoid accidentally putting it in a bag on the ground. Example: PUT JEANS IN MY BACKPACK
  *ORDINALS and TWO WORD NAMES will work with MY. MY BLACK JEANS, MY FIRST JEANS, MY SECOND BLACK JEANS
ADVANCED INTERACTION
-----------
Sometimes performing interactions will require you to use a more complicated command, or require you to be holding a specific item to use them.
For example, if you had a rotten egg, you would be able to THROW EGG AT JOEL (though this isn't recommended), or any other person.
You may need to do something ON something else. Such as PUSH RED BUTTON ON MACHINE.
TURN DIAL ON CLOCK     UNLOCK DOOR WITH KEY     HIT PIPE WITH WRENCH
If you had a locked chest, you may need to just simply be holding a lockpick to UNLOCK CHEST.
If you are trying to paint ceramics, you just need to be holding a paintbrush and you can PAINT.
-----------
SOCIALS will list various built-in commands that you can try to use to interact."

If you tipe news, you can see the game events, news about the game, contests etc. Use NEWS # to read a specific article.
for example, this was added today.
news 103
AMAMAS TAXI CAB COMPANY
------------------------------------------>
You can now grab a taxi from the airport front lot at Hamamas Cab Company. Go into the shack,
and RING the BELL for service. Hamamas Taxi Cab Company is not liable for any items left
inside their cabs, or for any injury that may occur to riders.
---
I hope this helped.

2017-10-23 21:51:29

Hi.
Thanks alot, it helped.
Can we play together in some time please?
I wanna go with someone in this amazing mud.

2019-02-04 13:04:16

Update:
The game will change its address to:
play.islands-game.live, Port 3000
I've been talking to the admin, and he is willing to make the game more blind friendly.
If you want something added, write it  here, because I gave him  the link.
The game is in beta, so he'd appreciate your ideas and suggestions.
They will not kill you just because you made mistakes when roleplaying. Just try to act like you're whoever you wish you could be in public on a island.
It's pretty easy, because it's a modern game.
They will add more crafting, a combat system and more soon.
If you have questions, ask here and I'll try to answer.

2019-02-04 17:30:42

if it's paranormal why am i not a werewolf or vampire? lol

2019-02-04 20:59:44

I think this game was created by former admins of Motus Opperandi. It was a former play.net game that closed about two years ago.

2019-02-04 21:36:46

@17, Ask the admins? smile
@18, No idea, probably, but it's a good one.
We don't have enough modern games, so... I'm fine with this one.

2019-02-05 09:26:21

any new activity or something? , back then, I just did the fruits thing, can't really remember how it is, but yeah, that big_smile , the game sure has alot of potential though.

2019-02-05 10:14:12

@20, They added fishing jobs. The admin said that at the moment it's the best paying job.
In 3 weeks or so a new activity should arrive, and they're having a Valentines day event planned.
If you want something, Suggest it here. It's worth a try.

2019-02-05 11:13:57

So, tried it.

Made my guy, got to the tutorial....and got to the town hall....then......not sure what to do after that since there was like 5 people on, and no way to OOC ask for advice I could find.

I like the ideas and concept, but.....I'm a bit lost really, as in, alright, I set up my skills, okay, sure, but.....do I really wanna trail around an island chain looking for 5 or 6 other people connected?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2019-02-05 13:00:22 (edited by annellin 2019-02-05 13:00:55)

@22, I get what you mean and I understand how you feel. I hope that the admin will add a newbie channel soon. What I recommend is to try to make some money. look at help fishing. I'll connect and try to help you if you're still on. To send a PM, you type transmit to Annellin and I'll get your message.

2019-02-05 16:23:11 (edited by JaceK 2019-02-05 16:29:03)

EDIT: Okay got my character.

Now if yer on.....I....shall go fishing

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2019-02-05 23:23:08

i guess i don't unerstand what makes it paranormal. but i've not gotten that far into it