2021-03-08 04:32:42

I wish you the best of luck on some other game!

2021-03-08 05:10:48

Hawgpadre: im not going to enforce racial slurs
How the fact you managed to program the game while being this dence is amazing.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2021-03-08 05:37:00

I'm crushed over this tbh. It's something I did not need in my life. I put my all into this game, made the start of a sound pack I didn't really enjoy making because it was getting in the way of my playing. I put so much time in, and tbh, it was partially an escape for what's going on in my personal life.

Further discussion on this from either side is just not going to get us anywhere, however. I tried, and failed. When I was trying to make my case, I was accused of trolling, even though I was serious. There's just no logical reason for refusing to write down a basic set of rules to be followed. Hell, I liked the open nature of the game, and that there were few rules. I liked and sstill do like the game, but I won't put myself in a position to face potential abuse by a power tripping admin.

You can say no rules and mean it. You can even change your mind and start writing down rules. But it's completely absurd to say that the rules should be clear when there are no rules even in help rules. I just can't express the level of density and stubbornness that I witnessed in my last few moments there.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-03-08 07:13:04

GrannyCheeseWheel wrote:

I'm crushed over this tbh. It's something I did not need in my life. I put my all into this game, made the start of a sound pack I didn't really enjoy making because it was getting in the way of my playing. I put so much time in, and tbh, it was partially an escape for what's going on in my personal life.

Further discussion on this from either side is just not going to get us anywhere, however. I tried, and failed. When I was trying to make my case, I was accused of trolling, even though I was serious. There's just no logical reason for refusing to write down a basic set of rules to be followed. Hell, I liked the open nature of the game, and that there were few rules. I liked and sstill do like the game, but I won't put myself in a position to face potential abuse by a power tripping admin.

You can say no rules and mean it. You can even change your mind and start writing down rules. But it's completely absurd to say that the rules should be clear when there are no rules even in help rules. I just can't express the level of density and stubbornness that I witnessed in my last few moments there.

I genuinely wish you the best on whatever game you play next.  I've always been pretty clear on the rules for Wayfar, and if its not for you that's fine.

2021-03-08 09:18:08

Hawgpadre wrote:

I have made a few friends (and more than a few enemies) in the blind community

You don't say! I can't seem to figure out why that is.

Also Hawgpadre wrote:

You do you, bro.  As long as I'm admin on Wayfar I'll ban people as I see fit.

Ah... It all makes sense now!

Sincerely,

- A potential player who saw this thread just in time

Dreaming of a dystopian future.

2021-03-08 09:47:22 (edited by defender 2021-03-08 10:43:46)

I won't be leaving, as I enjoy the game  and if the admin's inconsistencies lead to problems that's up to him, but I didn't much like what I saw there either.
Insisting he'd let players handle it multiple times, then banning the person in question though they apparently did nothing new to deserve that, stating that racial slurs wouldn't be moderated and then using a player saying a racial slur in response as the last straw to ban them, continually asking players for feedback but then saying he was disappointed they gave it on the very same channel he asked for it on, banning yet more players after the argument was over...  He was just all over the place.
Frankly, I think he just lost his cool and had a bad day, or week, maybe felt like the player's weren't appreciating him for all his work or respecting his authority as the game's creator, but couldn't be honest about how he felt.  I get it, especially during lockdown, but it isn't impossible to just say sorry, unban the players or at least explain better why they got banned in a more permanent place, and do better next time.  We're all allowed to make mistakes, but doubling down will likely only cause more problems.

@hawgpadre
I assume that the "clear rules" you're talking about are the ones where you tell the person what they are doing wrong at the time it happens right?
Which makes it pretty dang confusing for those who aren't on when that happens.
Also, you say you've always made them clear, which may be very true, but many people are new to the game, so how would they know what you considered wrong in the past?
I appreciate you trying to keep the game feeling free and non bureaucratic, and thinking the best of people.  But when you stubbornly insist on no written rules ever, instead preferring to give people somewhat vague, often semi serious sounding warnings only when you see the problem happening, it's just going to cause players to feel like they have to walk on eggshells as they don't know for sure what's okay.  I don't see how that's any better than people feeling slightly less free because of some simple written rules...

I get that it's a hobby project, but players are the life blood, and I don't think it's fair to expect people to just ... know.

2021-03-08 10:34:32

@106, I significantly doubt that what you describe is the case at all. they're being a hypocrite of the highest order. And, you know... I was really hoping to play this game again. But there's no way in hell I'll be doing that with an admin who freely indulges in hypocrisy and who clearly demonstrates that they are not admin material at all. I hope I don't have to explain why.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-03-08 11:03:15 (edited by LordLundin 2021-03-08 11:04:46)

I feel a lot better now guys, I realized that Hawg was just projecting when he called me an idiot. I don't think he actually made the game and just stole the source from someone. When I called on  him to show him errors I had to explain thurroly what the issue was, and how to use the items I was bugging. I tend to be pretty clear with other admins and have never had this issue before.
Also Ironcross worked more on the game than Hawgpadre has, at least in the last couple of weeks. I also started writing guides for the wiki.
I did enjoy the game though, too bad it has to be ran by one of the worst admins I have ever come across.
@ironcross nice sound pack, though I think you should take the link though if you haven't done so already.
Edit:
Changed summoned to call on

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2021-03-08 14:57:00

Alright, what did I miss while I was sleeping? Holy fuck I went to sleep post town hall chat (which went wel) and wake up to this? Seriously?

Somebody give me the tl: dr of the fiasco?

Look. I've been on games with shit admins, and Hawg's not even close to my own definition of a shit admin. You can talk to him, you can say what you want within reason, hell, I was told hey that's a good idea, re: my idea for transit/zones/etc. He didn't ban me for speaking out of turn or joining in saying why other MUDs aren't that good.

Point is. A realy, really shit admin would have been all fuck off my game *permaban* for even mentioning other games, or just spitballing ideas, or even if I put a building where they didn't like.

So. Did Hawg possibly (I've not seen the logs or anything yet) overreact? Yes. But let's be real here. We players haven't been 110% innocent either. Not just London, honestly. Hel, you've not been the /worst/ on there I've seen. Given the buchering dogs remark, I can take a wild guess who was involved

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2021-03-08 15:17:27

The summary is already in the posts written here, starting at my own one at 98 after I was banned, then the admin's completely neglegent and fuck all attitude in his responses. What I describe in post 98 is what happened and can be varified by Ironcross and I'm fairly sure Defender was on there as well under the alias Maxim or something like that and he was one of the people summoned by hawg and was in the same room as me when I got killed. He had also been summoned from the plannet he was currently on and needed to get a ride back. I am not sure what happened since everyone was chatting and having a good time, and honestly it didn't even bother me.
Honestly, none of these things alone bother me, except the ban for something that had been previously ok and literally just a second ago said by the admin would still be allowed.
I wasn't bothered when he repeatedly called me an idiot, nor when he summoned me and killed me without returning me to my ship costing me resources to get it back if I'd gone for it.
I wasn't bothered by griefnet which is a channel similar to chatnet, except it's nickname was also blinknet, and when someone with the blind preference on chatted on chatnet it'd sometimes post stupid quotes to blinknet like:
Chatzone lundin says: 'wow, this is funny. Let me tell you guys a story'
(just  written for illustration purposes and not actually quotes)
blinket Lundin says: 'wow, this no I don't have fucking super hearing like a fucking bat! funny. Let me tell you a story."
However, combine all of these factors, and you start to see a bit of a disturbing picture. Add his responses on here, his general attitude of "I do what I want" (which is technically correct), I find myself repulsed by his behaviour and now we find ourselves where we're at.
If I've missed something or there's another perspective feel free to chime in.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2021-03-08 15:38:26

Right but it sounds like everyone has some fault honestly IMO. I'll admit, I was laughing at the blinknet example because that amused me entirely too much, because I don't take things like that seeriously. Point is. It sounds like everyone was at fault honestly

Also on Linux natively

2021-03-08 16:07:46

They were, to some degree or other. I'll never say that they weren't. Lunding was being Lundin, caccio was being the great viking Jarl and narrating everything he ever did, then complaining about everything. Then to further it, he was audacious enough to try to fight an admin.

So yeah, there were definitely reasons for Lundin and Ishtaar / Caccio to be on Hawg's shit list. I'm not disputing that. What I'm saying is the way it was carried out - without any warnings, without use of established procedure, etc. was wrong.

He even told me earlier that day that if I wanted to write good code, I had to do do the design phase. Then he said he took two years to design the game in his notebook. Well, rules are a part of that design. As much as any other thing. And I don't think any admin can be faulted for not thinking of every single way you can fall afoul of decency. So amending the rules is not a problem. But this whole thing of saying the rules should be clear, when they're not even a little bit, is just wrong.

Yeah, the soundpack is gone. I deleted every last trace of it. The repo is gone, the keybass archive is gone, and it's gone from my system entirely.

It sucks, because it's a game I very much enjoyed, and even now, I want to go back on, but I won't.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-03-08 16:16:09

Hi. So, I’m probably being completely stupid here, but does the mailing system still work? I registered for an account like 1 week ago, forgot about it and today I decided to check back. There has been no email, and I’m sure I typed things in right. How should I fix my idiotic actions?

useless post above

2021-03-08 16:17:52

Right, but the counter point is admins run a game how they see fit however, and don't have to do things a certain way. Hell, on another game I'm on, somebody got banned before they even got in the dor because of stuf they did on other games in the past with sime of the same players so...

Point is. Players are not perfect. Admins are not this infalliblee perfect set of beings. They are human as well. No game's administration is perfect, and if anyone assumes that, try being an admin. If you have and you think you are a perfect admin and never wrong, then you are part of the problem, honestly. Hell, I have a friend who got thrown off a game because of their RL political beliefs, despite that not being in the rules, then the staff there stonewalling any attempt at explaining

Also on Linux natively

2021-03-08 16:25:22

I never said he couldn't do what he wanted with his own game. I just find it unacceptable, and choose not to play there.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-03-08 18:18:34

@113, yes mailing system works now.

You see a signature that is 800 characters and 8 lines long. You quickly report it to the administrators

2021-03-08 19:38:43

tldr. people got banned for being their normal, trolly selves.
K

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2021-03-08 20:29:26

I feel like refraining from using racist slurs is such a low bar to step over TBH.

I feel like I'm reading r/AITA.

2021-03-08 20:39:10 (edited by defender 2021-03-08 20:50:48)

@JaceK
That's the weird thing, because no, he isn't a completely shit admin even now, and yes Ishtar and Lunden were definitely causing problems.  But the way he handled it just felt out of character for him, as he's usually much more chill and says what he means.
And the fact that things had been being said on chatnet which were just as bad IMO plenty of times before this and he didn't seem to care much even though he was on during it sometimes just made the situation really confusing.

2021-03-08 21:43:22 (edited by LordLundin 2021-03-08 21:45:17)

I find the fact that people are defending his actions is ... interesting.
@118 there is such a thing as social context. Not every racial slur has an offensive connotation in it. It also depends in which setting it is used. Yell the N-word out the window while you're driving through the ghetto is different to say something in such a way that everyone knows you're not serious.
@117 did you even bother to read any of my posts? In which universe is summoning someone and killing them acceptable administrative behaviour? I can assure you the admin engaged in as much trolling as his userbase.
To the rest of you, I urge you to read the following message:
If people still want to defend him, I suppose you can. However I do not want to see another post that shows a severe lack of reading comprehension ... so if you are going to defend him you should do so on the varifiable facts and the actions that took place!

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2021-03-08 21:49:50

@Defender:

Right, but none of us know what Hawg was thinking/going through at that point. It's entirely possible he had enough of everyone's shit really and snapped though. Just because somebody is chill doesn't mean they've had enough of whatever shit they are seeing. None of us bar Hawg are in his shoes, right? Yes he's achill admin, hell the town hall chatter showed it (I still like the idea of one big zone with warps between them ftw), but here's my point.

Just because somebody seems chill, that doesn't mean they are cool with everything and evryone has a breaking point

Also on Linux natively

2021-03-08 22:36:16

I mean, I feel like that could be taken to extremes. I've done and said stupid shit in the past. I've been banned here twice, in fact. Does that mean the mods should be like, "Well you don't know what's going on with him, maybe he's having a bad day."

Also, I find it somewhat ironic that people are defending this, when all hell would break loose if something like this happened in an online audio game, and you know it would. Look, if you want to have rules, have rules. If not, don't. But that has to be a design choice, and if you make changes to it, it's reasonable to notify the players, and note these rules down for newbies. Just because the admin chooses not to read rules on other MUDs doesn't mean he should ignore having rules on his own.

I was very excited for this to come back online, but I won't be blinded by that excitement when sketchy admin shit is going down. If you guys want to keep on playing, all well and good, but I choose not to place myself in an environment where there's flagrant admin abuse.

Another thing, since when does bad behavior excuse other bad behavior? If we all followed that logic, we'd be circling the drain. Hell, we pretty much are circling the drain as a species as it is already because of this. I could never imagine banning someone because they spoke of politics, even expressed views I vehemently disagreed with. Maybe I'd make a politics channel and enforce a no political discussion over chat policy, but I'd never just ban someone because they expressed views I didn't like.

Maybe I'm the only one who cares about this. Well, so be it, then I'm the only one. And I don't think every admin is perfect or infallible, but the sheer fucking airheadedness of the last 5 minutes of chatnet before Hawg took it to pages with me and then before I left the game was almost unbelievable. I don't even have a word in my vocabulary to express it.

If you're willing to turn a blind eye to that and play under those conditions, or you just don't care, well, here's hoping your not next on the chopping block. That's all I've got to say.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-03-08 23:49:14

Honestly, it sounds like everyone is the asshole in this case.

120, I just don't understand why you might use a racial slur and then be shocked. SHOCKED! that you get banned.

I think that being consistent as an administrator is good. But I honestly read some of these posts and am so confused as to how some of you just think you can act any kind of way in an online space and then cry when you find that people don't want to put up with your asinine behavior.

Rules should be consistent. I don't fault GCW for not wanting to play in an environment where it is not. But I also think that some of you need to act better in the spaces where you find yourselves.

2021-03-08 23:58:37 (edited by GrannyCheeseWheel 2021-03-09 00:00:43)

But hawg said he wouldn't enforce racist slurs, which is his choice honestly. I don't think lundin was banned for any racial slur. It was because he was being his batshit crazy ass self over 3 days and Hawg had enough. I understand it, but the method in which it was done gave no indication that anything was wrong. I mean, all the sudden, bam. And the thing with the killing, yeah I did see it over laff. That was after Hawg had previously said he doesn't fuck with Wayfar players period, end of discussion. There are just way too many inconsistencies.

He even called someone a fucking faggot, then the next day said to keep the swearing to a minimum, we're not a bunch of animals. So how is anyone supposed to work with that. How is anyone supposed to know where the line is so they don't cross it. The answer is, you can't, because it's totally arbitrary.

Edit: And let's not forget about him saying that he'd kill you if you crossed him, then later clarifying that to say something akin to, "It's not just a MOO thing, I will fucking shoot you."

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-03-09 02:28:48

This kind of stuff is why I tend to solo muds, and turn off all public chats as soon as I log into a game. I’d love to find a good mud that was more solo focussed.