2020-06-04 16:24:32

Perhaps this isn't the answer you'd like to hear, but if you still want to pursue this project in 6 months to a year, drop me a message.

I'm working on adding accessibility to the Godot engine. For now I'm focused on creating Audio Asteroids, so all I need is open space, but I do eventually want to create a stripped-down accessible interface to the tilemap editor. Most of what I'd want to do with this is story-based, though, and writing stories is something I'm absolutely bad at. I do have a procedural, story-light game idea for once I get Asteroids out the door, so yours wouldn't be the testbed for tilemap support. But having a game with an actual story, as opposed to a procedurally-generated map scattered with disconnected minigames, would be a nice project to work on. It'd also be able to reuse much of what I've created for the first two games, so could hopefully be bootstrapped fairly quickly.

Anyhow, hope it goes without saying that you shouldn't hold up your project for me, and my circumstances may change such that I'm unavailable in 6-12 months. But it'd be nice to work on something with an actual story, and to not feel pressured to create said story myself. tongue I'd also like to see more serious, professional efforts in the audio game space.

2020-06-08 14:58:52

There is no tearing rush to do this. I'd like to get it rolling, of course, but it's not like I'm fending off potential help with a stick. Heh.

Story and gameplay is the part of design I feel that I'm best at, so it might be a nice fit.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-06-08 15:44:03

I'm vaguely curious: do you have any examples of story or anything? Would rather not hunt through 50 posts to find out, but feel free to say it's in post 37 or something.

It's kind of hijacking the project a little and it's so far from relevant at the moment that it's not funny, but I am slowly meandering my way toward a first person MMO, a sort of mashup between Swamp-style controls, hack and slash, and World of Warcraft style UI on top of an engine that looks a bit like moo and/or lpmud (not in the telnet sense, in the how do you build levels sense).  We're at least 3 tech projects which probably have to all be written by me away from audiogames really even having the ecosystem to do what I want, but assuming I get that far I suck at story and eventually I'm going to need people/ideas/etc involved who don't suck at those things, and maybe what you've got in mind aligns with what I've got in mind.  I've got ideas for gameplay and mechanics, a little bit of an idea as to setting, and I'll probably bother to turn them into something concrete later on, but my attempts at story are...well, very programmer.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-06-09 00:39:52

Posts 1 and 5 will tell you most of what you might want to know about it.

Turn-based combat
top-down navigation preferred, though I'd be happy to switch this up to an AHC-style movement setup
Combat where certain enemy AI is reactive (i.e., if you cast a fire spell, it will respond with a water spell, or drop its defense, etc)
Bosses that have patterns of attacks that can change (i.e., use attacks 1-2-3-4-5-1 etc in phase 1, but after a trigger, switches to a pattern of 2-4-3-4-2 etc).
Armour and weapon slots specific to characters (i.e., each piece of gear is wearable by only one char)
Accessories that can be equipped by anyone, everything from things that boost a stat, to stuff that increases regen or provides elemental immunity/absorption, etc.
Skills learned by level-up, each char locked into a specific class
A "hard mode" which slightly changes the game by changing AI a little in certain situations, raising levels and giving each char a different class (Brek goes from assassin to illusionist, etc.)
Lots of quests and side content
Ideally a full sound track and soundscapes, including voice acting when we're close to finishing

I intend this to be a paid project if possible and I'd be willing to work out terms for that.

Figuring that a full playthrough would take 15-20 hours or so, so I'm not talking about something you can speedrun in forty-five minutes.

If you want or need more info, please let me know. I get the sense we might not be looking at quite the same thing (you seem more interested in active combat, aka Shadow Rine), but let me know in any case.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-06-09 00:43:33

i can help with the sound designing part, not with the music though music was neverintrested me so much despite playing a guitar before, yeah dont ask me why

2020-06-09 00:58:25

@54
Yeah, we're headed in different directions.  It's not so much that I want active combat, it's more that I want something online done by someone who can do it without tons of bugs everywhere (so, me) and over the years I've put a lot of thought into things like how we might design maps that are literally to-scale cities and I'm finally in a place where I have the programming skill to pull it all off literally starting with my own audio processing library and proceeding from there.  So that's what I'm doing.  How far will I get? Who knows, but at least 3 of the libraries I'm building for it are useful, probably 4 of them honestly, so even if how far I get is nowhere, well, audio will b solved, physics will be solved, etc.

It's not necessarily you go out and kill everything everywhere, there's room for other stuff, but--well. Swamp got over 100 people online and all it really has to offer someone is you shoot zombies, it still gets 20-30 people despite being paid and so bugged that just logging out and back in duplicates all the items in your inventory, and for a variety of reasons it never reached beyond this site.

Unfortunately though, by the nature of being an MMO, you can't do turn-based combat without the ability to violate the laws of physics.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-06-11 06:14:08

@camlorn if you make a game with some way for anyone to create content for it, like tactical battle, you can just focus on the core game itself and leave the rest to the community.