2008-05-24 06:24:06

Hello everyone.  I am wondering if anyone can please help me?  I am an avid Mudder and have been using the Mud Client Gmud for all my mudding years.  I now would like to try a better Client, and wonder if anyone can please advise me on which one is relaly good?  I have tried JMC, but find it a bit frustrating to have no sounds in it plus a few other things.
Thanks and hope I was allowed to post this here.
Kirstan, whom a few out there might remember from years ago.

2008-05-24 07:38:06

when i played muds i was use jmc with small utility i written myself for sounds and tts. however, now jmc supports active scripting, so you can write your scripts to play sounds etc. another gread mud client is mmc, who knows perl - it is really better solution.

2008-05-24 08:23:17

Thank you so much Aleksey.  Unfortunately, I don't have a clue in this World on writing scripts, so I am afraid script writing is out for me.  What is this mcc Client?  Is it blind user friendly?  Where could I look at it?
Thank you once again.
Kirstan.

2008-05-24 08:37:39

I prefer telnet or monkey term.

I live to crochet!

2008-05-24 10:40:13 (edited by Aleksey 2008-05-24 10:53:32)

you can found mmc at http://mmc.mud.ru . however, it is not bliend friendly with out source code tuning, there are some things i changed in its source to jaws start normally anounce all i like. powerful of this client is that it is written allmost all perl, and supports perl scripts (as you know - perl is the best language for text processing). as you say you do not like to write scripts, so it is not for you.
that tool for jmc hooks all input from client to server and can execute some specific commands as play, say, also i implemented messages history and other usefull things for me. however, it has russian interface and commands, and there might be some bugs. now i haven't time to rewrite it, as all my free time i get developing 3d engine for audio games. also, you can found new jmc with a lot of new features including sounds at http://www.gryphon-clan.ru/jmc/en/

2008-05-24 20:43:03

For a step up from GMud, which I used myself for some time, I would have two suggestions since I found the configuration of Monkeyterm quite awkward to work out... mostly because I couldn't be bothered to learn it when I can use other clients which have the options more immediately apparent.

MushClient can work quite well, its one major limit being it can only play one sound at once without tweaking. It is however free and is available from www.mushclient.com, and the plugins from www.randylaptop.com are highly recommended. I actually added this to the game list on the main ag.net site so you can also look there for more precise links for the randylaptop scripts.

Easier to use right away is the new VIP Mud from GMA at www.gmagames.com, with not just multiple sounds support but the ability to play them in stereo. It will work straight away with several speech systems, or sapi built into windows if you don't have one of the ones it directly supports. It isn't quite as flexible but is a little more user friendly, though after the first 30 days expire you can only use it for 2 hours at a time unless you pay for it or use it on Valhalla mud.

I would really, really not recommend anyone to use telnet even an experienced mudder. Even GMud is more advanced than that, and I found a lot easier to handle.

Hope that helps.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-05-24 23:41:04

Hello to everyone who has replied to my question about Mud Clients so far.  Thank you soooo much.  I so appreciate it.  I will look at the links you have given me later today, and let you know if I find a suitable substitute for Gmud.  I have been so used to Gmud, I guess I will find it hard swapping, but already can tell it is time to step up to something new and more powerful.  Too bad David Greenwood's client times out after 2 hours!!!  I imagine it is a really good one.  The mud I play by the way, is Legend mud.
Thanks a heap.
Kirstan.

2008-05-25 02:56:57

Glad to help. You do get 30 days for free, but as you say indeed VIP mud does only last two hours after that. It is probably the easiest to transition to and has better built in sound to Mush Client or probably most other clients out there since you can position the sounds in the stereo field. Monkey term I found a bit of a mess and it is out of development, but mush client is a mainstream client which is still being supported at least.

Let us know how it goes.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-05-25 06:47:56

people, i really do not know how do you play without hundreds of triggers and other things? so do you leading the groups or take part in clan wars or other pk? i liked mudies becouse player kill is adrenaline thing, mutch when you can lost or your equipment and inventory when you killed... becouse screenreader can not anounce messages with speed one screen per second (it can happen in, for example, clan vars) i must write many not simple triggers to some reach on game events.

2008-05-25 08:50:07

What's wrong with telnet?

I live to crochet!

2008-05-25 10:58:46

if you using just telnet client, you can not take advantage of triggers, aliases, hotkeys and other stuff that mud client provied

2008-05-25 19:33:23

Personally I find it difficult to correct typos in telnet too, or if a situation changes you can't do a shift plus home and delete the whole input line at once.

As to keeping up, it depends on the mud in question. Some muds you'll want to have certain not very useful types of output hidden, which VIP mush and monkeyterm can handle. Other muds it might just be the mud runs too fast for us to effectively keep up, which is more an issue that the mud isn't really practical for us rather than a client issue.

It can sometimes take a little work to despam a mud, but you only have to do it once.

cx2
-----

2008-05-26 05:57:36

Hi everyone.  Just to update you all.  I have, for the past 2 days, been trying to figure out the VIP Mud Client.  I am *sure* this Client should be a  good one, but for the life of me, I am having the worst job *ever* in trying to make only 2 sound trigs!  I can get the list of sounds up and I even seem to have it looking right, but I can't use any code, so I think this Client is just too complicated for someone with no coding experience at all.  If anyone has some easy to understand tips for me, I would much appreciate it, otherwise is back to the drawing board for me.  I tried to download and install the newest version of JMC too, but somehow it isn't installed correctly.
Thanks to all of you though, please keep the ideas coming.
Kirstan, tearing her hair out.

2008-05-26 07:31:46

what do you mean for saying it is not installed correctly? what error message do you see?

2008-05-26 09:09:29

Hello.  I went to the link you gave in an earlier message.  I downloaded the new version of JMC.  I went to where I saved it, then I extracted all the files.  When I tried to open the JMC application, it said there was a file missing.  I actually looked for the file, and there it was, right under this application, so I have no idea why it could not see it, since I was told, after the *extraction* all files had been extracted.
That is where I am up to.
Kirstan.

2008-05-26 09:44:21

hi, i not completely understood, do you have an system message box  with the error (e.g. some library not found) or inside the client last line is #can not load file ... ? i have downloaded jmc from that link, and started it from archive succesfully. however, try to create batch file in folder with jmc and put following commands in it:
%WinDir%\system\regsvr32.exe ttcoreex.dll
%WinDir%\system32\regsvr32.exe ttcoreex.dll
after run the batch file, and press  "yes" and "ok" buttons in appearing dialogs. try now to run jmc.exe

2008-05-26 11:37:08

I like Mush client very much. It works pretty good with the Jaws scripts. I can't get Monkey Turm to work. The scripts doesn't work, and when I press the left and right arrows in the edit field, Jaws doesn't spell the command I have wrote. It just says blank. I don't know if it's something wrong with my computer, but I think Mush client works better. I haven't tried VIP mud from GMA Games yet.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2008-05-26 19:26:35

Have you tried the easy script builder option in VIP mud?

cx2
-----

2008-05-27 08:55:32

No. I'll check it out when I got time to it.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2008-05-27 09:03:48

Hello all.  Okay, I had major success with VIP today!!!  I was just putting in the trigger text wrong, so now I am looking forward to at least, giving VIP a really good go.  I will keep you all up to date how I get on with it though.  I also have kept the messages about JMC and Mush as well, so thank you all for that.
Kirstan.

2008-05-28 00:05:07

Just glad to help smile

If you find a specific client works better for you then the others then don't pay any attention to anyone telling you something else is better, or whatever else. Different people think in different ways, so it is only fitting different clients exist and people have their own ideas about what they like.

cx2
-----

2008-05-28 00:30:14

Hello again.  Funnily enough, I have now reconsidered everything.  VIP is too much work for me, to get simple things done, so I am not going to try with it any more.  I will look at some of the other suggested clients, but right now, it looks like I am sticking to good old Gmud.  Has anyone any tips for me on how to run Gmud a bit better perhaps?  I know there are scripts somewhere, but have never run them and am not sure how to really  do that anyhow?
Thanks a heap.
Kirstan.

2008-05-28 09:04:07

Kirstan:
I suggest you to try Mush client with Jaws scripts. It's easy to install and easy to use.

Best regards SLJ.

2008-05-28 09:38:51

Thank you so much for suggesting it.  I definitely will try it out, but right now am just not trying anything new for a day or two.  I feel as though my brain needs a huge break after trying to get round VIP!  Thanks though, will definitely let you know what I think of Mush Client when I download it.
Kirstan.

2008-06-01 08:39:06

Hi,

For someone without scripting knowledge myself, I do find VIP easier to use than MC.  As it's been stated, you can't add more than one sound, however, it's simpler to add the sounds to be played.  If someone could give me a good link to VB or Lua scripting tutorials, I might re consider.  But until then, VIP is the way I go with my muds.  I'm able to do anything i want with it, and it wasn't too hard for me to pick up on.