2018-08-06 03:36:01

that's weird, you don't have to equip ammo. try saying "tell (heroname) to use +2 sling" where (heroname) is the character you want to use it. it might also help if they are your active companion.

2018-08-06 03:51:23

It isn't the Stones I am trying to equip, it's the actual Sling. I'm guessing since Sling Stones are above my Sling in my inventory i.e. I purchased the sling first, it only hears that I am trying to equip the Stones.

2018-08-06 03:58:23

bookrage, thanks for the report. When I transitioned the mission system it looks like it did not gracefully degrade old missions. I cloned your user, reproduced the problem, deployed a fix, and verified it fixes the problem. You may have lost your current mission. But, as a bonus, go another step east in the nave and you will find a new meditation room that reports your blessings and prestige, like you requested!

nolly, it uses a complex fuzzy logic match to try to work out what item you mean. But, you are right, it makes no sense for it to try to match something you can't equip. While deploying the patch above, I also slipped in a fix that I hope will prevent it matching ammunition for equip.

In the future, when you come up with problems specifying items in your inventory, you can say one, two, three, etc, to match the first, second, third, etc items. That's kind of a fallback to get around problems like this.

Further in the future, I know inventory management is a disaster. However, I think I have a solution now. Or, at least, something to make it less of a disaster. The current thought it to allows players to buy houses in towns. When your house is entered, you will have a number of storerooms that correspond to the different item types. Potions, scrolls, ammunition, hurled weapons, etc. When in that room, inventory will only list those specific items. It will then work kind of like a shop where you can drop and take items of that type and they will go from your inventory to that room. This will help you cut down on your gear without having to get rid of it.

If that all works, I also want to add the ability to buy shops. They will work the same, but the gear you divest of will be put up for sale.

Anyway. Patch deployed. Please try it out and let me know if there are any further problems. I really do appreciate you reporting the problems. I get e-mails when the program crashes. But they can often be hard to interpret without context. So this really helps a lot.

2018-08-06 03:58:34

I've had a problem with that before, first equip the stones and then equip the sling to the same guy then I guess, or equip what you don't want to someone else, this will get the stones out of the way. Then switch to the guy you want,

well here's the steps to get around this then.

1. equip the sling stones to someone you don't want to have them, this will get the stones out of your inventory.
2. switch to who you want to have the sling and equip the sling to them. as there is no other "sling" in your inventory before then, it should work.
3. switch back to the person who acted as a mule and is holding the stones, take the stones away.
4. if the rules haven't changed,  then your guy should just reach for the sling stones when needed.  if they have, equip the sling stones who the guy you want to use them. it should work fine.

2018-08-06 04:09:30

just a question, what is the difference between blessings and prestige, I have no blessings but 21 prestige and what determines them and the medals you can get with a god?

2018-08-06 04:22:29

So you get a blessing when you go and clear out a defiled temple for a god. You gain prestige by completing missions. You need blessings to be able to enter into a temple, and... I'm not sure why you have zero blessings. That doesn't make any sense.

But, anyway, you get badges for both of them. You get a Parishoner's Badge for blessings and a Patron's badge for prestige. Let me create an issue (#416) to update the message in the meditation room to report what badge level you are at, and how close you are to the next one. Which, I think, was your original request.

2018-08-06 15:13:21

the first time I got a badge for patron it was actually for tithing, how does that figure into prestige?

2018-08-06 21:27:00

If you have more than 10,000 gold, you can tithe 10% of your gold to your god. You will get 5 prestige points for doing so.
Note: it's not the raw amount of gold given, but the sacrifice of giving 10%!

2018-08-06 21:42:59

okay, a couple things I've noticed.

I definitely have some blessings from Minerva as I can walk into the healing pool in her temple but she won't let me enter her knave.

I also know this because I'm lugging around an aegis of Minerva that I got from a temple I cleared.

Also, for some reason the temple missionaries for Neptune aren't doing any missions now when I go in there at all. Maybe I've just exhausted what they had to do but just thinking about it.

And lastly, a question, what gods are there on the alternate worlds? Is Iceland/Ysgard just Norse Gods or Ireland just Celtic or do they have regions of different faiths like the main premium world does?

2018-08-07 23:01:48 (edited by nolly 2018-08-08 00:19:14)

I have a question about resets. I read elsewhere where you mention that a cave resets after 15 minutes, does this also apply to places such as Hiring Halls if there is no characters available for hire i.e. you hired all 3? Also, is it necessary to leave the Village/Town/Hamlet for this timer to begin? I've had a hiring hall reset with 3 new characters once, but wasn't sure exactly what I did to meet the requirements for it to do so.

I suspect I have to leave the town/village/hamlet completely, but am still uncertain on the time needed, as well as if it is 15 minutes from the time I leave or on a real time world clock (1:00, 1:15, 1:30, 1:45 etc)..

2018-08-08 00:15:29

@bookrage. You can only get into the nave of a temple if that god is your patron deity.

I will look into the missions setup. I've been meaning to code up some more missions. I'm on vacation for the next three weeks, so my time is a little more unpredictable than previously. But it's a city vacation, so I should be connected the whole time and actually get more done. (Right now I'm in an airport, so I can't jump on it right away!)

Ireland just has the Celtic gods and Iceland the Norse gods. I'll think about doing some sort of faction fighting thing in Ireland with different clans competing for the High Kingdship, and maybe an Aesir/Vanyr thing in Iceland. I'll ask around. My vacation is actually in Ireland and I'll be presenting to some local Alexa developer groups. I'll see what they think will be cool.

@nolly, I believe the internal cache is set to 15 minutes. So if a feature is unused for 15 minutes it is cleared from memory. The next time it is referenced it gets re-generated. This works for both dungeons and towns. The key is that they only get cleared if they aren't referenced. If you are in the town and actively using the game, then it still counts as being referenced and is kept in memory. So, yes, you do need to leave the town.

If you would rather see something more had-coded to 15 minutes, I should be able to change it to that if you think that makes for better gameplay.

The tedious exercise I picked for doing on the plane is to redo the monster treasure system. Up till now it's just been either nothing, or a random roll of gold based on the monster. I'm changing it to be more like the rule system. Monsters may carry a varying amount of copper pieces, silver pieces, and other coins. Plus gems, jewelry and magic items. (Everything with a cash value will be converted to gold just to keep the inventory simple.) If you meet the monster in the wilderness, there may be a chance to follow it to its lair where there will be the bulk of the loot. If you meet the monsters in a dungeon, then the lair treasure (if there is any) will be in the boss monster room.

2018-08-08 01:04:22 (edited by nolly 2018-08-08 02:06:53)

Yes, I think it would help out the game play if it was coded to be 15 minutes until reset rather than it's current state, especially if entering the town or cave causes the 15 minute timer to restart, which is probably what is happening to me. It's definitely taking longer than 15 minutes for the hiring hall to reset. My last reset probably only happened because I stepped completely away from the game for 30 minutes after exiting the town.

Edit**
I'm starting to think it may be set longer than 15 minutes for the hiring hall to reset. I stepped out of the town for just over 20 minutes and it had not reset when I went back into the town to check.

2018-08-08 03:35:10

Joquinta,

then that is strange because I've been doing stuff for Neptune and never announced what god I was working for, it just walked me right into the knave there. This is even more strange as I have not done this with any blessings from him as I have as far as I know never cleared a Neptune temple, whereas I have clared several, or at least a couple Minerva temples. They let me enter her healing pools though.

2018-08-09 21:54:38 (edited by nolly 2018-08-09 22:06:21)

Is the infirmary the only way to get rid of level drain? Running around trying to look for two more Minerva temples to clear to enter the infirmary is rough. I'm almost tempted to release and level up a new character since they were originally only level 4.

How long has it taken anyone else to locate and clear out 3 temples of the same god?

Also, does anyone know if level drain stacks? I'd love to be able to fight Vampires and Wraiths, but I don't want to get stuck with a level zero character like I had in my last game. It wasn't so much that they were level drained, it was that I kept getting spammed with the message that my character was now conscious and then immediately unconscious every time I walked around.

2018-08-10 00:20:54

Sorry for the delay. Jet Lag is taking it's toll. Also, either my broadband here sucks, or it is just very slow to upload to US servers from Ireland, but it's really tanked the time it takes to roll out test versions. So this new treasure stuff is taking longer than I thought.

I will look into the 15-minute cache thing. The problem with making a hard 15 minutes is that I don't want it to chance while someone is in the middle of a dungeon. So I have to think a little about how I do it.

Currently the infirmary is the only way to reverse level drain. One slight game abuse: if you go outside a temple, wait 15 minutes, you can re-enter and clear it out again for another blessing.

I've logged the level-drain-to-zero as a bug. #419 If a vampire, say, level drains you down to zero, that character should turn into a vampire. It's just about the only way to permanently lose a character!

2018-08-10 01:00:17

just wondering, how do I even choose a god as my patron deity?

and enjoy your vacation dude, with you doing all this awesome stuff on the game so quickly, you've earned it.

2018-08-10 04:50:26

So if I clear out the same temple 3 times I should be able to use the infirmary? I currently have 5 blessings of Minerva, but only have the healing pool available to me.

The character that I had dropped to zero was against a Wraith, not sure if this matters.

2018-08-10 12:26:28

I was hoping to use my vacation time to catch up on some 6 Swords features! Ha ha. Right now Amazon is being stupid and just stopped letting me run the test version of my skill last night. Grr. Mostly right now my kids are not adjusting well to the time zone and that is keeping everyone up!

Anyway, in larger churches there will be a confessional to the left of the church as you go in. If you go into that, you can accept that Church's deity as your patron.

I checked the code and it should only be 3 blessings to get to the infirmary. Hmm. I'll do some testing when I get my system running.

And, yes, if you get drained completely by a Wraith, your character should become a Wraith.

2018-08-10 14:21:57

Joquinta,

with the temples I went to, there was no confessional in any of them.

Also to Noli, perhaps  you have gone into a temple without an infirmary? I know of a temple that has a healing pool but no infirmary to Neptune and as far as I can tell, a nearby temple to Minerva doesn't have a healing pool even.

2018-08-10 22:41:49

Thank you for the advice on the temples.  I will try another temple and will also give a try to one of Jupiter's temples since I stumbled upon and was able to clear one out 3 times. Speaking of which what exactly is the ThunderBolt of Jupiter for/do? I've tried to find out what it is but I can't get Alexa to understand me enough to explain to me about it when I use the phrase "What is". I even tried to use different variations of the word Thunderbolt similar to how you have to when something is a single word such as (sp?( JujuZombie which I noticed has to be phrased without a pause between Juju and zombie.

I really enjoy the game and consider the growing pains of Alexa minor and will continue to play the game as long as it is available. I also plan on signing up for the premium area once I have a little bit more experience with the game play and can get rid of the pesky level drain. I had the misfortune of running into a bunch of Spectres who clearly thought another one of my characters was too high a level.

2018-08-10 22:55:39

you're profoundly unlucky. I ran into some vampires once but they didn't manage to level drain me. other than that I've never encountered level-draining undead and such.

As for the premium area, I would highly recommendd it. It has a built up non-random world, and several others such as Iceland and Ireland. Also, if Greco-Roman myth isn't your thing, there's also areas dedicated to other pantheons, such as norse, celtic, mezoAmerican, elven, and such if you're  looking for something a little different. And if you want to traipse about other sorts of lands, you can do that too. There are more types of dungeons, towns have more variety, temples have more stuff to do like missionary quests, tithing, and becoming dedicated to a deity. There are also wizard towers that can bring your party members back to life, increase their stats, and maybe other stuff too.  and then there are portals that can take you to places like tundra worlds, desert worlds, or swampy worlds and stuff like that in addition to the real-world settings.

Plus, it's only $2 a month and Joquinta has been a dynamo on adding stuff despite it not getting them the profits they were hoping for. even on a fixed income, $2 a month is probably something we can afford.

2018-08-11 00:05:40

All right. I wasn't able to get Amazon's test console to work. So I wrote my own one! I've mostly debugged the new treasure system and just rolled it out now. Treasure is a little different now. Before, you just got some gold when you killed a creature. Now, first off, treasure gained is more diverse. In addition to gold, there are also copper, silver, electrum, and platinum pieces. There's also gems and jewelry. For now, this is just decoration. They all get converted to gold in your inventory. It seemed too convoluted to have to add in all the extra stuff to manage different types of currently and I don't think it adds much interest to gameplay. You can also get magic items. Each type of treasure has a chance of occurring. So sometimes you may get some, and sometimes you may not.

Secondly, monsters may have individual treasure, and they may have lair treasure. After a combat, you will get individual depending on how many monsters you killed. Monsters who run away take their treasure with them. If the combat was in the wilderness, and that monster has lairs, there is a chance after the combat that you will find the layer and get the lair treasure. If the combat is in a dungeon, you will get the lair treasure if this is the boss monster of the dungeon.

Overall the new treasure system is probably a little less generous than the previous one. But I'm hoping the diversity of treasure makes up for it.

But remember I said that I wrote my own test console when Amazon's stopped working? Well, I'm thinking that this is something that I could actually deploy for other uses. I'm not sure how good screen readers work with Java swing applications, but if I could make it screen reader friendly, it would provide another interface to play the game with. Also, to nolly's point about "what is" being terribly on Amazon, yes it is. But a client like this would let you type in your reply, which would end up being much more accurate.

Another approach would be to try to front end the same thing with a telnet server daemon. Then you could use standard MUD clients to connect to and play six swords. I know that's something that is generally pretty accessible. What do people think? Would either of these things improve the experience for people?

2018-08-11 00:30:07

Personally I've been loving a hands free game over a mud client. I can do my laundry, dishes and even prepare meals while playing the game. I've started using it while I am out and about on my phone using the Alexa app, which is fantastic while my wife is shopping, as I have to find things to keep me busy not being able to visually keep myself entertained looking at the merchandise.

This is of course just my preference and don't mind the few times Alexa has issues hearing me, but I for one probably wouldn't use it if it turned into a mud game.

2018-08-11 00:37:15

Oh and Huzzah! Temple of Jupiter had the Infirmary, perhaps I needed to use the one in a City rather than a town. My last level drain happened when my 5 year old son decided that I should fight the Spectres rather than run away from them. It was both funny and depressing at the same time.

2018-08-11 01:51:29

Joquinta,

I think that the great thing about this game is that it is a speech, hands-free game, I don't think I'd like it as a mud client. Right now it's sort of in it's own buble that I think can be grown quite well. If you transferred it more to a MuD or app thing, I'd think it wouldn't go so well. A lot of games do that and do it better than I see this game doing it. The back-and-forth speech interface with the game and stuff is really what makes it special and good. I'd be more interested in more sound FX and music, more dynamic speech options such as non-hostile encounters in the wilderness, more types of dungeons, or some of the stuff you were thinking on for the main premium area or some of thespecial real-world locations you've made into game worlds.

Also, not sure how you could manage this, but players could come across battles already in progress. For example a group of merchants fending off a tribe of angry lizardmen in a swamp. This could either be for flavor and just be something the players notice, a way to gage the strength of monsters (Manticores beat the crap out of a young blue dragon.) or the players could intervene on one side or the other, for example joining the bandits to help rob the merchants or helping some lacotha fight off a rampaging dinosaur herd. This would be a much harder fight than normal, but for the time the players would have monsters acting on their turn as allies to balance it out.

also, I have to tell you that the problem I see Noli having is the same I brought up to you a while back in regards to identifying divine items.

You told me that a breastplate of Juno is a +2 breastplate I believe, or +3. It doesn't really matter. The problem is that unless I get that information from you, there is no way to know.

Noli, The Thunderbolt of Jupiter is identical to some other magical item in the game. The problem is that unless you know which one, you can't figure out what it does.

Joquinta: With these divine items, the game does not recognize them under their special named versions and only registers them as whatever magical item they are identical to. What needs to happen is there needs to be a "what" entry for each of the divine items or else we can't find out what they are without running to you. Even if the entry for these items says "Thunderbolt of Jupiter is an X" where X is whatever type of item it is, we need that to handle these divine gifts ourselves.