2017-04-07 16:07:23 (edited by The Dwarfer 2017-04-07 16:57:08)

@dark I see your point about better character development in the books, in fact I started reading Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers and have found that I am enjoying it much more than I expected I would. I guess it's nice to have watched the series first so I know how the characters sound in real life, and then read the books and be able to fit in the missing bits about their character. Plus, it really helps that Chris Barrie is reading it and does a darn good impression of most all of the characters, even Lister which I was actually quite surprised about. I unfortunately don't think he has quite mastered the voice of MacIntyre though. big_smile

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2017-04-10 23:33:31

Umm, can you please get trump's friends out? big_smile Anyway, I first got introduced to Red Dwarf through the DECTalk transcriptions, and from listening to both, the actual show is much, much better. Though the audio descriptions in the DECTalk versions helped me understand what was happening a lot more. One of my favorite moments was when Lister gets thrown in to a table by a Skutter in Confidence and Paranoia.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2017-04-11 02:20:23

I have been looking up transcripts, and that has generally been helping me with descriptions.
Also I'm currently on the second book, and so far I'm liking it. I'm too tired right now to tell what my favorite moments have been so far etc, but I am enjoying it a lot.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.

2017-04-11 16:18:27

Transcripts generally help with that sort of thing, I did the transcripts for avatar the last air bender and those for bufy, though to be honest with something like red dwarf you just don't get the humour without the acting.

Sadly Chris barry only read the first two books.
Craig charlse read the commercial version of last human, which he did a good job of, albeit his voices aren't as good as Barry's, and there is the problem that they abridged the commercial audio recording.
Rob grant himself read the commercial recording of backwards, which is both a horrible reading (the man just had no audio acting), and a very! bad abridgement, as it misses the entire gunmen of the apocalypse section, and even though backwards is probably my least favourite of the books that is a great shame.

The rnib do have versions read by a guy called David Thorp who does a very good job, though interestingly enough hehis own interpretations of some of the characters, doing cat with a deep, sort of sterriotypically radio dj voice and Cryton like a slightly camp butler without Robert Luellin's American accent.

oddly enough Thorps' voices work fairly well, and I much prefer his reading of backwards (since for a start it's unabridged), his last human isn't bad either though i'd have trouble choosing between that and craig charlse's.

Sadly I don't think the versions read by David Thorp are available anywhere but from the Rnib here in the Uk.

As for the series, I have several favourite episodes and moments which didn't make it into the books.

the triplicator with the evil versionsthe cast is a favourite, though the bit with Lister eating the maggoty strawberry is just plane wrong!

I also don't know if people get criton's reference to "toasty toppers" in that episode as something horrible they find in the bad version of red dwarf.

In Britain in the nineties toasty toppers were a really bad instant spread intended to put ontop of toast, think of a rather nasty mixture of very processed meat and some gloppy sauce, hence why they rank on the groosneess scale along side cinema hotdogs and overdone kebabs with stringy brown lettuce big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-11 20:10:16

If we're talking impressions, I was slightly disappointed with Barrie's interpretation of the toaster. Where the series had two different ones -- one in season 2, another in season 4, both of these chirpy and cheerful, Barrie's was gruff and much more unfriendly.

2017-04-11 23:38:37

I actually thought Barry was making the toaster gruff deliberately, since the point is made in the text just how abrasive talky toaster's personality was, and I thought the grating voice was supposed to be part of that floor.
Actually in the series I didn't think the toaster was that bad big_smile.

I don't know if you've got to the point in better than life where rimmer realizes just who his second wife in the virtual reality game is, but barry's reading of that bit was always hilarious!

I also love the way he makes the sounds for cats' favourite sport of creature polo! :d.

One character I was sorry they missed from the series and one plotline generally was where Criton heard he was being replaced by a new android hduson 10, --- -that's the episode with the "lets quit the startrek crap!" line and a brilliant terminator parody in which Hudson's heads up display goes through t various cast members, says why they're not human and therefore valid targets, gets to lister and finishes with "what the hell he's a git anyway!" big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-12 01:07:01

@Dark I just finished the book in fact. Oh yes I remember that, - it was his mah... his mah... ah... his mah... his mum!
You're absolutely right about the toaster. In the series I actually thought they were rather mean to him, since all he really did was ask if someone wanted toast, and not too much else, but still ended up with people lashing out at every little thing he did. I like how the book took that into account and made him more of the personality that would justify such annoyance.
In terms of the first two, I think the books did a great job of turning the show into literature. There were parts I was disappointed we didn't get to see, such as the one outlined in your post as well as the poly morph turning into a basketball, and yes even the inquisitor, since I'd really have enjoyed seeing that get destroyed. The plot was creative and ingenious in more than one area. First I thought it was clever how the books kind of slipped into the Holly disaster, and more recently the reason Lister ended up on the backwards world, -- unlike the show it wasn't mostly all just we found a way to teleport or land there.
One last disappointment I had about the books was that there does not seem to be some of the good scenes from later in the series, such as wax world.

2017-04-12 17:30:03

Funny you should mention inquisitor.
Craig Charlse (who played lister), in the late nineties and early 2000's presented a program over here called robot wars, in which people built remote control robots and tried to murder the robots of their opponents, complete angle grinders, circular saws and lots of other nasties.
I remember one team appeared with a robot called "the inquisitor", Charlse asked them where they got the name, and when they said "from a series called red dwarf" he replied

"what? never heard of it!"

Whereupon the audience laughed uproariously big_smile.

I actually like the fact that the red dwarf books basically retell the story in a way that would work as a book. As I said in my review of careful drivers, I've generally found that books written about tv series suffer ethe same problems as fan fiction, like an author will write a starwars novel with the emperor's new apprentice who is even eviler than darth vader!

or suddenly you'll find that the emperor was really working for an evil race of evil who are destroying the galaxy in an evil fix and require blowing up of yet a larger death star big_smile.

Either that, or when they're straight novelizations with the same events, they simply aren't well written, ---- while I love his original books, Alan dean fosters' novelizations both of the alien films and original starwars were just plane disappointing.

There are exceptions of course, I love Matthew stover's novelization of revenge of the sith, one article on tor.com said it was be3tter than the film.

Either way, I like the fact that in the red dwarf books basically they didn't try to either redo the series bigger and better, or to just novelize with no style, what they did was simply use the same characters, concepts, and a lot of the same events, along with some hilarious writing to create an incredibly good story!

The only sad thing is that the first two are the only co written books and while last human does provide a great ending to the series, it would've been nice to get more.

2017-04-12 18:20:09 (edited by The Dwarfer 2017-04-12 18:20:22)

I have noticed that. While they have steered away from the plot of the series at times, it has been in a way that makes sense; a way that fills in holes left in the series with quite plausible explanations, ---- well about as plausible as any explanation from a science fiction series like Red Dwarf can be. Currently I am reading Backwards, since from what I was told its atmosphere more so resembles that of Red Dwarf's earlier seasons, which were my favorite in terms of plot, humor, and adventure. Although, I would have to agree that Rob Grant's reading of the novel, -- the novel he wrote nonetheless, is quite mundane in comparison with Ace Rimmer AKA Chris Barrie's reading of the previous two. My only two complaints thus far are that a, Chris is not reading this, and B, it misses the Naylor touch. As in, the story is just not the same without the two collaborating.
Do you have any ideas as to why they didn't write the final book together?

2017-04-13 04:08:24

I did hear that the two of them disagreed about the direction of the series, this shows in their respective third volumes.

Backwards is funnier, but on the hole less coherent while last human is less funny but a better story, though both include some pretty horrible inequities in different ways that I'm sure wouldn't have occurred ifthe two writers were working together, though imho last human is the better book over all though backwards is worth reading nonetheless.

It's a shame your listening to the rob grant version of backwards, since that misses off the entire final section which includes gunmen of the apocalypse and skims straight over things to get to the ending, not to mention missing an entire very dodgy chapter with cat earlier on, then again as I said the unabridged audio versions of both books I know are available from the rnib.

2017-04-13 05:15:27

Oh. Parts missing out? I must have forgotten that part of your post. That's no good...
This, RNIB. Do you have to be from the UK to get those books?