2017-03-24 14:41:35

Hmmm, Chris, odd you mention these adverts.
I've never noticed such things in windows explorer, and all of the crap like mine craft, candy crush and the xbox addons I just removed with C cleaner, hell I could remove tips n tricks too, but didn't bother just in case, I even kept groove music and the netflicks icon though I might remove those later.

Once I removed the associated crap, the start menu didn't have that much on that was irritating, though I did also install classic shell to have a logical start menu layout and actually sensible places for program shortcuts, which also means I don't see links to stuff like the microsoft store unless I specifically go to the aps part of the menu (again C cleaner could get rid of those if I really was that bothered, though i'm keeping the link to the ms store just on the off chance something might come up in the future).

While having to kill these things off is a necessary evil, by the same tocan when I bought my first xp machine it had all sorts of random glubbiage on that I didn't want, eg, microsoft gaming zone, msm, encarter etc etc, so I didn't really see the business in windows 10 as that much different.

I might if it weren't possible to get rid of these things, but  that  wasn't the case.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-03-24 15:15:54

@Dark, I must say that it's remarkable how well you've adapted. Much as I predicted you would ... and somewhat ironically, given my position now of recalcitrance where Windows is concerned. It's nice that you're on a modern OS now, at any rate, if for no other reason than modern requirements. My XP VM is only being used for games, by contrast.

As for ads, I guess each to his own, but I can't use an OS with ads and spyware built-in. I mean, the argument about OEM bloatware is fair enough, but you could always remedy that by reinstalling Windows from scratch. With Win10, the very (very!!!) first thing you do is install C-cleaner, to remove the garbage. I can't imagine I'm the only one to find that deeply offensive. And of course with Microsoft pushing updates whether you want them or not, and (accidentally, I feel quite sure) reseting privacy-critical settings with every little update, and providing no legitimate user opt-out for telemetry gathering, I'm just not prepared to reward what is clearly intended to be anti-user behaviour. If Microsoft can charge for their OS--yes, maybe even on a yearly basis--without selling out their users' privacy and personal spaces, instead of the absurd situation we've got now where Microsoft are essentially double-dipping (once on your wallet, and then again on your data) I'll be truly, truly glad to reconsider. I mean, I _want_ to have choice.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-03-24 15:56:05

To be honest Sebby as I said with the add thing and installing c cleaner, I install c cleaner on any machine as a matter of course. I've got it on this xp laptop and have been using it for quite a while, ever since Avg Pc tuneup buggered their interface and became slow as a hog in january in fact, and as I said I didn't see removal of the stuff that the pc came with aka, companies who paid microsoft for free advertising as anything that different to what I was used to.

With the spyware business I can't speak since it's just not something I've noticed, then again i do intend to carry on backup by usb and keep as much of my personal data, especially sensative stuff like bank information off the computer as possible. Other spyware I'm not really too certain of at this point.

In terms of adaptation, as you might recall I was investigating getting a mac back in early 2015 since we were finally at a point when the actual upgrade actually did! something worth while and of practical value. Unfortunately that plan got rather scuppered by various other more important things going on in my life at the time and I didn't consider things again until Dolphin offered their sn 16 upgrade complete with a pc attached (which sort of back fired, but hay).

Also i think a lot of it is to do with the fact that I much prefer the layout of windows 10 to windows 7, at least with the classic shell start menu (and in fairness I did try to use the regular start menu too, indeed I've just bought a stand mike and it'll be interesting to see what I can get Cortana to do).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-03-24 16:17:07

@Dark: it's fair enough and I'm absolutely not arguing with your choices, in fact apart from the blow-out with Dolphin it sounds like you're doing great and I'm really happy for you. And I agree that Classic Shell is an absolute must on modern Doze. You've only one problem to solve now, that being email. That's actually a pretty cool place to be in since there are loads of different alternatives. The Mac would simply have meant exchanging one set of compromises for another set, and since it's clear you're handling Windows just great it's hardly a point of contention. The rest of it is just getting used to it, and once you've done that you'll probably wonder what all the fuss was about. big_smile

As an aside, Dolphin are selling the pen for a small fee on top of the Supernova upgrade license. They offered, and since it was only an extra £50 to the cost of an upgrade, I bought, but I guess it shows even Dolphin are aware that charging twice for the exact same software isn't going to cut it any more. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2017-03-24 16:41:34

Well Sebby I will admit that Windows 10 has been far less problematic than I thought especially in terms of layout, the moral of the story seems to be that I should've tried the dam thing out rather than assuming what I'd seen on windows 7 which I disliked also held true for windows 10. Then again Microsoft have said the layout of windows 10 is staying know, and while we all know what ms are like for their promises it does seem a reasonable bet that working with windows 10 will be a good idea for the forseeable future.

As  far as email goes I don't know whether to try the freeware outlook express or thunderbird, we'll have to see. One thing I really! miss from outlook express is the dropdown  contacts list and the ability to select a message ricipient without being always tied to auto complete, but we'll see, indeed I still haven't got to grips with all the ins and outs of Nvda yet and how to run it with different programs and window types.

I also want to try liber office, since I have heard it doesn't interfere with formatting and doc layout. I was concerned given that my Phd thesis is very specifically formatted being a highly formal academic document, but ultimately it won't hurt to try, (especially since hopefully my doctorate will actually be finished soon),  and I really don't want to pay microsoft a hundred quid or fourty quid a year if I can help it, especially since I don't use xl, outllook i actively dislike and the only part of office I really want is the word processing.

As to mac, I did heavily consider mac, but I didn't fancy the idea of having to run a virtual machine whenever I wanted to play windows related games, plus when I tried a mac it did seem the basic speech navigation keys for voiceover were a little complex.
This isn't to knock anyone who uses a mac, indeed I suspect were I coming to the hole thing afresh I'd probably have chosen mac instead of Windowsbut support for the programs I already have and familiarity with screen readers and layout sort of biased me on the matter.

2017-03-24 23:46:48

I'm not currently using Windows XP, though I was rather considering buying an XP laptop a couple months ago.
The thing is? This idea of software upgrades as a manditory part of life never sat well with me. And I suppose I mean "upgrades" in the chronological sense.
But I'm a weirdo who just likes things that have this nasty habit of going and changing in undesirable ways. It's only really offensive when the point is to replace the likable thing. No amount of Xbokes will make my Sega Genesis disappear, but ever since internet access became ubiquitous, "upgrades" have been nothing but replacing things I like with things I don't. (Skype is a pain and always has been. MSN Messenger and its later Windows Live Messenger incarnation were better than tolerible. You will notice that I got to where I could stand WLM updates, so long as they didn't break accessibility or run extra clunkily.)
Basically? I want to use what I like. I don't want my options restricted to the newest shiniest products. On the same hand, I can't expect companies to still release Sega Genesis games, and WLM required Microsoft's servers and so Microsoft can do whatever they want with it, no matter how vehemently I disapprove. So, yeah, I like as much backward compatibility as possible in everything, but if this is having to switch to PC and Playstation if I want Mortal Kombat 4 all over again, then so be it.
TLDR: I like things. I don't like being forced to give up said things for less likable alternatives. But I understand that backward compatibility gets ridiculous after a couple decades and don't expect XP compatibility in future software.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-03-25 10:29:35

Well Cae personally I think nintendo should still! be making games for my snes and ggb advanced rather than all this 3d nonsense that I can't play, indeed it was lack of playable games that got me into audiogames in the first place big_smile.
I agree very much with the sentiment, but in terms of windows 10 I will say that the benifits of having a newer os did outway the amount of newer stuff I wanted to do on xp and couldn't, that combined with the compatibility fixes out there for most games etc did sway me towards the decision for a windows 10 machine.

Ultimately of course the process of upgrades comes down to forced monopoly having control of a captive audience to effectively sell a product not because people need it but because the seller simply can invalidate people's existing systems, but the problem comes when that forced monpoly actually provides something useful as opposed to simply changing things for the sake of making changes as unfortunately is more than often the case, and as I said, while I was not a fan of windows 7 I seem to be getting on fairly well with windows 10, ---- though that doesn't stop me still wanting more new games for my snes! big_smile.

2017-03-27 20:39:59

Well ... I find myself with a 2010 Mac Mini, no longer in use. And, what do you know, it supports Windows XP! Wouldn't it just be absolutely hilarious if I were, now, to install XP on the native hardware (it's now too slow for a pleasant macOS experience, unless I swap out the HDD) and use it for gaming?

Of course the immediately preceding discussion gives me the definite sense that this would be an exercise more in recalling pathetically the happy memories of a bygone age, than in a practical way to play my games. And I'd lose the life-giving properties of virtualisation. But it would be very fast and I'd not have to mess about getting a working DOS box, nor hardware acceleration ...

Just myself, as usual.

2017-03-28 06:57:14

Dos games are I think the one area where xp is still necessary, t hose and the classic bsc titles (though imho the second versions were better). However I'd personally prefer if the community got a good solution up and running for talking dosbox to play games like fallthru and eamon deluxe, than xp virtualization, after all ot everyone will be willing to do the virtual os thing, but everyone will be having windows 10 for the forseeable future so it's a good investment, just like the compatibility fixes Jim and Aprone included in their games.

2017-03-29 00:37:55

DOS emulation is probably needed anyway, at some point, because I don't know of a DOS screen reader that handled certain games using direct screen writes (like Graham Cluley's Humbug or Jacaranda Jim). I have DOSEmu running under Linux, and it does a pretty splendid job, but it's never going to be quite as satisfying as spinning up an XP VM, simply because the DOS subsystem in Windows is more-or-less complete and known to work with everything, acceptably well. And after all, on a modern system with plenty of resources, where's the pain? Tools like VirtualBox are free and work with NVDA, so you shouldn't even need to spend a penny. Just have your XP media to hand.

Just myself, as usual.