2008-03-31 17:08:55

Okay, with all the talk and new discoveries in the field of audio books, I'm now wondering about podcatching, ---- ad Rss.

I know that podcatching software is supposed to alert you to new podcasts in a series. Does it then download or stream them? and do you get the choice?

some audiobooks and such I find on the net I like to download for future rehereing, ----- other stuff I just stream once for the experience and then forget about it. Do you get the choice to do this with a podcatcher?

Thinking about getting podcasts and audio books delivered streight to me also made me think about rss news feeds? What exactly are they for?

I seem to spend loads of time running around the net to see if various sites have news or have updated, and it suddenly occurred to me that maybe these rss feed thingies could save me doing that. Are they connected to podcatching software? If not, what are they for?

it actually seems weerd that on this site I've been working on one and have no idea what it does, ---- to quote the famous last words of the curious scientist before the explosion, or the rampaging monster, or the invasion of tenticled monsters from another dimention, lol!

so any answers would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-03-31 18:51:04

Well, I think you have a choice, but I haven't really played with one yet. As for RSS, get firefox for your web browser and can set up RSS feeds along side your bookmarks. This may save time, because you can look at the different feed like they were nothin more then folder in your bookmarks. they would update when ever you start the browser. This doesn't mean that firefox download podcast, but every artical or podcast will have a  bookmark to it and when ever a new one is add to the site question, you will a bookmark with the headline or name to that Otical or podcast. For example, I have one of the rss feeds to foxnews marked in firefox and I can see the feed's headlines like it was its own bookmark. If someone can explain this better, please please do.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-03-31 19:57:49

Try www.webbie.org.uk, they have as part of their package an easy to use RSS and podcatcher client. I recommend you choose not to install their web browser since it is essentially for screen readers which can't handle web pages on their own.

I occasionally use their accessible RSS to look at the headlines from the BBC for example, you get them in a list in a similar fashion to emails and can decide if you want to delete or open each one.

As to podcatching, I haven't really tried it but I think it normally just streams the audio, with an option to download if you wish.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-03-31 20:39:16

Hi.

As for podcasting, I really recommend a program called Podcatcher. I don't remember where to get it, but if you search for it on Google, you'll find it. I tell you, it's awesome!!!

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2008-03-31 22:00:07

Hmmm, the wwebIe thing seems to have some sort of podcatcher on it in addition to the rss, so I might try that, but checking Hal's map files, Hal 7 also works with fireforx. given the fact that web pluggins are the invention of Satan, and Ie drives me up the wall with it's need for them, I'm inclined to at least inquire about firefox.

Sinse it doesn't cost me anything to phone them, I'll probably just ring Dolphin and ask both about firefox and about any recommended pod cast and rss programs which hal works with, sinse I've generally found dolphin's recommendations of programs to be fairly reasonable as well as Hal friendly, ---- such as Avg. Of course, it's also possible that I'll ferrit around and find something better which also works with hal, but I like to get as much info on these things as possible.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-03-31 23:23:03

Well I like the Webbie package because the RSS and podcatcher should work with all screen readers by design. I also find the built in radio player works well, it gives you a list of internet radio stations mainly comprised of the national and local BBC ones and you can listen to them by moving to the item in the list and hitting enter. Would be nice if you could add stations, but I guess you can't have everything.

I know that different people prefer different things though, naturally.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-04-02 21:59:25

Hi Cx2.

sorry if I was a bit abrupt earlier, I've had a look at the webie stuff and it does work with Hal indeed, though I'm not sure if I want all the bits which it has installed, ----- even when you forget the web brouser.

I also would personally like the podcatcher and podcast downloader to be functions of the same program, sinse when trying out new stuff, my decision to download or not download can vary.

i'll probably try out several programs including webie and see what I find most function. this is what I did with media players before I settled on winamp, and unzipping programs before I settled on 7zip, ---- I suppose I just like trying everything before I make my decision.

thanks again for the advice though, --- iwell might be using webie if something else doesn't pop up, ---- though i'll admit having been taken up by rise of the golems, I've not exactly had time to do too much investigation.

2008-04-02 23:38:06

I have to admit I'm currently not finding the podcast downloader to be working for Scott Sigler's casts, rather a pain. You can save individual files from within the podcatcher though luckily.

Myself I certainly make periodic use of the RSS reader and BBC live radio, but that's about it. The listen again doesn't really seem to work properly either. It could certainly do with a little tidying up in terms of how many different programs it uses.

No trouble about being abrupt, I know you have a lot on your plate at any one time. I just hoped I didn't sound like I was banging on about it.

cx2
-----

2008-04-02 23:54:33

with the amount of rambling I do anyway Cx2, I can hardly accuse anyone else of banging on about things, ---- look at my own enthusiasm with rise of the golems, and sinse I did ask in the first place, to dismiss what you said wasn't polite of me and I'm sorry, ---- I probably didn't express things very well.

back to pods though, I'm glad to here you can download stuff in the podcatcher, it's hopeful that that bit works.

Out of interest, sinse all the webie programs are intended to work with screen readers and aren't self-voicing, ---- I'm slightly confused as to why they include a specific web brouser, sinse I assumed any passable screen reader will work with Ie or similar as standard these days.

I know not everybody has Hal, Jaws or Window eyes, but I assumed that anything which could handle windows well enough to start webie in the first place should vaguely work on the net, ---- win vision certainly did.

I'll admit though, I've not exactly tried many screen readers (odd sinse I try just about everything else, ;d).

2008-04-03 19:18:09

Well Webbie installs with the free reader Thunder, which doesn't support HTML natively and has to use Webbie to cheat. I don't see any reason to use Thunder over even the early version of NVDA available though. Thunder is just plain poor all around.

I tried both and keep NVDA installed, I like to have a secondary reader available for when something crashes. It has saved me from shutting down many times now. This is my mark 3 approach, mark 2 was setting the power button to effect a shutdown now that's possible in windows so I can shut down by pressing that button. Mark 1 was simply powering off cold.

cx2
-----

2008-04-03 19:38:47

I'm probably just lucky, but Hal's never actually crashed on me accept once back in version 5 when i needed to use narater and tech support to fix things, and once when mcaffi found a virus and conflicted with hal at start up which pretty much destroyed my computer (It had to go to a firm to be fixed, who needed to reformat the drive and rescue the stuff on there).

there was one other more recent major windows crash involving the user accounts wcih took hunting through the regeddit to fix, but once again that prevented me from running anything.

Occasionally I've also had the usual volume fun, but these days I'm quite experienced at unmuting my computer and turning the volume back up without speech, lol!

As with most of these things though, it seems that windows is the main cause of the troubles.