2017-02-05 05:51:45

I decided for now to stick with 3scapes. I am enjoying changeling, although the combat is a bit tedious, but that's okay. I'm not quite sure of ow to get new forms, since all of this seems very secretive, but I'll figure it out.

Look forward to seeing some of you on there. My name on there is Adraea.

2017-02-05 13:03:56

Well David I'm afraid I don't completely get this thing of guild vs player levels, but from what you say it does sound like I could start out as an android just to have a look round, then either change to something else later when I've hit android guild level 60 or start another characters.
Of the core guilds I fancy android more than the others since it sounds a little more unique I think.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-02-05 14:22:51

@dark: That is correct. Just be aware that when you leave a core guild at level 60, you lose all your stats and will have to re-earn your exp and train them back up. So basically you'll just be starting over in a new guild, with a higher player level.

As for the differences in levels, it's just a matter of numbers really. Player level is stable across any player on the mud and as far as I know, maxes out at 150. This determines how many stats you can raise as well as providing a couple of HP per level. It also determines when you unlock certain things, such as extra professions, housing, subguilds like ascended and eternal, etc.

Guild level and experience is unique from guild to guild. For example, SII have only 20 guild levels called control levels, which they can raise after gaining enough control, signifying that they have mastered their forms and abilities for that level. However, the levelling is split up across mastering forms. So instead of just focusing soully on gaining new levels, your focus can be on gaining forms as well. Changelings gain a guild level each time they train a skill. Jedi gain a guild level called an ascention by spending guild experience, which then gives them skill points based on a formula that they can then spend on training skills. The core guilds all gain levels automatically when they have enough guild experience, which then unlocks new levels of skills for them to train.

As you can see, there's quite a difference between player and guild level, and even in guild levels across guilds. There are also profession levels and levels in subguilds to be raised as well, but player and guild levels are generally the most important.

2017-02-05 14:44:04

Do be aware that clearing stats at 60 is a good thing.

Different guilds use stats for different things, as you would expect. It does not make sense playing a mage with 100 str you got while being in fighter.

When leaving a core guild, before leaving go to your guildhall and type please clear my stats in all capitals. This will give you half of the xp you spent on stats back, which you can then use in your new guild.

P.S. This game can certainly feel like you need to have the right information to get stuff done. And to some extent, that is true. The link I gave in post 6 mitigates it somewhat, but it still has the play-and-figure-out mentality. Most players would be happy to clear your doubts, though.

2017-02-05 18:24:54

Just a minor correction here.

Please clear all my stats returns all of your experience, excluding half of the experience you spent on your highest stat. Unless things are different for core guilds that is.

Either way, no matter whether you leave the guild outright or are returned most of your exp, you'll still have some work to do retraining your stats. I'm not a big fan of the system, I think if they're going to completely reset stats like that they should either do it for all guilds, or refund your exp for stats earned in the newbie guilds.

2017-02-05 18:39:10

Right, it's all exp spent on stats -half your exp on the highest stat. sorry.

2017-02-05 23:05:27

I'm on 3S most nights UK time now if anybody is around.  smile

2017-02-06 05:47:40

I've been away from the game a bit playing Brave of Cloudia, but I can garuntee you I'll be around more with boot 1000 coming up. It will be double experience for the entire 4 day boot, which will be a great opportunity for me to unlock my next alt and give him a solid boost toward level 50.

2017-02-06 17:38:28

so I took juggernaut, as I want to save some of the more atmospheric guilds for later tries.
I can't find the dropship to get to the station though, the ones so far haven't let me enter as they are guild specific haha.

2017-02-07 07:32:23

Okay I've jumped in on 3k and done the tutorial and the journal tutorial, I've created an adventurer character called Tandark (yes inventive I know).

At the moment unfortunately I'm having several newbish questions, which might be because I've been up all night big_smile.

First, how do I set the screen reader flag? I turned the minimap and hp display off, but I'm not sure what next adaptation wise. I have lots of items but am not sure what is worth using and what not. For example, the shocking sword I got in the tutorial is listed as balanced, but has a lower rating than the orc axe. Since there is no compare command (or at least not one I've found), I'm not really sure which is best to try.
I've not foudn anything about android in the help list, though there are some androids listed online with the who list, then again I'm finding the help system a miner trial since I'd like to get rid of those "More" commands and just have the hole file read, indeed I've been using the wiki instead of the in game help for a few things like what skills do.

I was also wondering about getting info on quests, since the quests list command is a bit none specific and rather weerdly formatted.
For example at the moment the mayor wants me to find his mirror shards which is fine. my gut would say look in the forest, however in the top of newbie tower is a room with magic mirrors, yet each mirror leads to a different area.
I don't know whether the mayor's shards are through those mirrors, or whether those mirrors lead out somewhere else in the game since I'm not really sure how the areas work as yet (forgive me if I'm being dense).

I'm also rather wary of asking questions since I've been told so many times "we don't give out quest info, ask for quest info and you will be hung from a tree with a sign round your kneck saying "he asked for quest info and was punished since asking for quest infor is wrong wrong wrong!" (really, this is so strongly enforced in every single help file I'm a bit worried about asking much about the areas at all).

My plan thus far is to poke around and get an idea what is what before I actually start on the game in a major way, perhaps try a core guild to help me do that and maybe start with an alt or restart a core guild character once I've got what is what, since even the basic classless adventurer seems rather more complex than I thought, ---- though I can say the crafting and such and the writing in the game have got my interest (just as long as I don't get swamped by guess the verb type of affairs).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-02-07 11:13:53

@DanC: The dropship to get to the space station, from the entrance of the guild, is north, east, southeast.

@Dark,

Perhaps this will aleviate your fears about sharing quest info or asking about areas. Here is the announcement letting up on the requirements, as well as making some newbie improvements, pasted in full:

> Note 799 titled 'The New Deal (Flaxen, Tue Oct 28 15:31:13 2014):
  Hi everyone,

The wizards have been discussing the best way to attract new players
  without sacrificing what's great about 3k or our current existing, loyal
  playerbase. We've come to some conclusions that are going to change 3k
  greatly in many ways -- some obvious, some subtle.  We are calling this
  "The New Deal".   

Our goal is to appeal to and fit in with the modern gamer: players who can
  easily communicate outside of 3k (IMs, text messages, tumblr, whatever
  else), who can easily opt to play and finish a graphics-rich AAA game in
  under 20 hours, who are now used to high-quality, story rich games with
  little repetitive content, and who can sit in front of the TV with their
  iPad playing a mobile game.  We want to do all of this while staying true
  to the roots of 3k as a challenging old-school text-based role playing
  game. 

We hope to remove some of the more archaic or cryptic elements of the game,
  to remove barriers to usability, to increase information to players, and to
  create an *optional* linear, guided journey for a new player.  One of the
  guidelines we are using is "challenging, not punishing"
  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea6UuRTjkKs for details).

We believe that these changes will have almost universal appeal, and the
  end result will appeal to old and new gamers alike.

The first of the New Deal changes are already in game:

1) a mudwide panic command
  2) a mudwide repeat command
  3) a mudwide flee command
  4) acs/wcs are now visible as numbers on weaker armour/weapons.  (Higher
  power armor/weapons still need a guild power to discern/compare)

The next set of the New Deal changes are rules based:

1) Quest cheating is no longer illegal.  It's no longer quest cheating. 
  Feel free to collaborate on or discuss quests, missions, stories, etc. 
  Please respect the wishes of players who do NOT want to hear spoilers.
  2) Players under level 50 will be allowed into newbieland.  If a player is
  caught griefing (making life difficult for other players) they will be
  punished accordingly.

And the following set of New Deal changes will be coming soon:

1) New players will get their choice of core guilds (fighter, sorcerer,
  cleric) at character creation.  (Note that quitting a core guild is free,
  so this makes no change to the transition to a standard guild).   
  2) Low level players will log into the game with a basic set of gear
  (main+weapon).  We're looking for your feedback on whether it's better for
  mid level players and up to use a command to get this gear, or whether it
  should continue to autload, but have the option to be blocked (or both).

In some cases these changes may devalue or even outright negate existing
  skills, guild powers or VAFs, but we cannot be bound by past decisions in
  our attempt to move forward.  In some cases, these changes may seem like
  they are killing off sacred cows of 3k, and in some cases, they definitely
  are meant to do so.

Please feel free to provide feedback, of course, though we prefer you do it
  on the thread I have created on the CoT forums online
  (http://forums.3k.org)

The Wizards of Three-Kingdoms
Note number: 799/858

It really is just due to them not updating help files properly that it seems quest info is still illegal to share. They really should fix that.

The screen reader flag is 3Scapes exclusively.

As for the quest, I can't remember if it's the tutorial or the mayor himself that tells you, but yes the fragments are scattered throughout newbieland. That means they can be in any one of the mirrors, just look for the sneaky bandits. And of course if you need more help than that, feel free to ask someone, hehe. It's actually a skillquest, which I thought was illegal to share, but it turns out that's not illegal either. As for getting more info, for whatever it's worth, you just type questlist and the number of the quest you want to view info on, which usually isn't much. Same goes for skillquests.

As for weapons, whichever weapon has the highest weapon class is better. In this case, the only reason the sword may be prefered over the axe is because the axe is two-handed, so you can't use a shield with it, and the axe doesn't have the newbie shock power. But for the vast majority of the game, higher Weapon class equals better weapon. You'll need appraise skill to see weapon class above 15 and armor class beyond a certain point though.

The game does have a lot of guess the verb quests, but since quest info is legal to share now, this isn't a problem anymore. Even before it became legal to share quest info, questing isn't required and only provides small benefits.

When they made quest info legal, there were literally people shouting things like, "Who wants to help me complete my quest list?" And someone even started a forum at qinfo.dyndns.org for the sharing of quest solutions, though you have to be approved by an admin to see any of the forums. It is definitely legal though, on 3Kingdoms only. Only a few guilds still restrict sharing of quest info for their specific guild quests and secrets.

2017-02-07 13:28:43

@David thanks for that.
Quests are generally why I play games, however while quests are great fun, quests where your utterly stuck and can't progress are frustrating as hell and likely to put me off a game, especially if the game's admin policy is generally such as to frustrate you from doing the quests or discussing them as was the case with many of the goals in Aardwolf, where if you asked for a hint on a guess the verb quest you'd be told "thmaybe that quest isn't intended for you". Is there a specific quest info channel like that on Alteraeon? or can you just ask for info on the general channel.

In fairness, often it's not so much specific info that is required so much as clarrification, in this case the mayor told me that the mirror shards are in newbieland, but it looks like the mirrors at the top of the tower go somewhere else so I wasn't sure whether to look through there for shards or not.

Btw, I've now gone into the forest and killed every bandit I've come across. I've tried look in trees and search trees because the notice said something about hiding in the trees and shooting at people, but while I seem to be able to get a description of the trees doing anything with them is being problematic.
I fear this is just one of those "guess the verb" puzzles, either that or I'm inherently thick, since look in trees, exam trees, and search trees hasn't found anything.
On the other hand I am rather tired so I might have missed something obvious.

I have one other question about skill points and attributes.

Is the point of getting player levels levelling to get skill points to raise skills, since it seems I can raise stats with experience, but I can't raise skills with experience.
If that is the case, then if player levels are capped at 150 does that mean there is a finite number of skillpoints available? this would seem to make doing things like crafting a bit difficult if you want to go and explore and do other things, since if your spending skill points on crafts you can't be spending them on combat and appraise and all of those sorts of things. Or have I missunderstood when you get skillpoints?

2017-02-08 11:23:14 (edited by david_solomon1 2017-02-08 11:25:20)

There's no specific quest info channel and I imagine you can ask for general help on the flapchat channel, though you'll likely receive an answer in a tell to respect those that don't want quests spoiled.

You're actually, quite literally, looking for mobs called A Sneaky Bandit. If you went through the tutorial and gave the first fragment to the mayor, he actually tells you where to look for the first 3 shards, on stetstar station for the first one, and then on the peasant farm and in goldenhawk bar. This is where you see the mob type you're looking for, and after that it's just a matter of combing the zones for those bandits. In the case of the first 3, they're a little hidden and one is actually at the end of a small miniquest in stetstar station. The rest of the bandits are just scattered throughout zones in different positions each time though. You'll need to find 12 shards to complete the skillquest I think.

As per spending skill points, there's a few ways to get them. You get 1 every even player level, so 2, 4, 6, etc. You get usually 1, sometimes more for doing skill quests. I think you get 1 for completing your first quest. You also get one for each year of play. So while they aren't finite, they aren't easy to earn either, and the initial flood of points will quickly taper off.

Having said that, you can always reset your points and re-spend them at an escalating cost in coins, by typing advance skill reset. Your first reset is free, and after that the cost goes up rather steeply.

I don't actually know what the crafting points do, I think they might just help you advance crafts faster. I've never spent points on them and the crafting is perfectly playable without spending any points on those skills.

To find out what a skill does, you can always read a help file on it, for example, help combat.armor.penetration. Admittedly it can be a little tricky figuring out which categories a skill is in though.

You can also type help milestones on 3Kingdoms to see when things unlock. What you actually need to do to craft, for example, is go join the crafter's guild on the north side of pinnacle.

2017-02-08 12:04:40

thanks david.

It's possible I missed the mayor's comments on where to look for the sneaky bandits. I assumed that due to the fact that I found the sign in the forest saying that the bandits had stolen the shards that said bandits were in the forest, hence why I was looking around for them there.
As to skills it does seem according to This skills description on the wiki
That raising crafting skills does make a difference, in particular the idea of being able to mine or prospect for specific ores sounds handy, so good to know about skillpoints etc.

For skills at least I actually find the wiki page layout a bit more help since it's possible to read up on all skills and go to headings to find out about subgroups of skills etc.

I'll give things another try now that I'm not completely shattered and hopefully my brain is in working order big_smile.

One last question though, is there a way to get the help files to display without those annoying "more" prompts? I think this is something to do with line filters or the like but what I don't know.

2017-02-08 12:46:29

setmod ROWS 100

Or whatever value you'd like to use. This is the number of rows that will be displayed before a prompt. Be sure to write rows in all caps.

2017-02-08 16:29:05

Thanks David, I'll give that a go.

Btw, You might c

2017-02-10 22:32:38

@Dark,

Just wanted to let you know your post appears to have been truncated at an odd place. Just wondering if this was something you had meant to erase entirely, or if the rest of the post somehow got cut off when you submitted it.

2017-02-12 02:50:03

Liking changeling, but it's pretty slow going at first. It gets really good later on by all accounts.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2017-02-12 03:44:31

I am thinking of trying 3s to be a warder, depending on how newbie-friendly they are. I tried 3s already a bit, but didn't get all that far. The game didn't grab me a bunch, and I'm thinking being in a unique guild might help with that.

However, illegal qinfo-sharing plus guess-the-verb = death sentence for me. I'm absolutely okay with tricky quests, and with info being somewhat limited (though this has always bugged me, see below), but the clues have got to be there. If there's a dresser I have to move away from a hole in the wall, and the exact syntax is "push the dresser" instead of "push dresser" like it would be everywhere else, or if the syntax is "push the dresser away from hole" or something else, I'm gonna drop it. I hate, hate, hate artificial difficulty enhancements of this nature. To me, they bespeak either bad builders, or a deliberate desire to keep people from doing the quest. And we all know people share qinfo in such games anyway, they just don't do it inside the game itself. Just look at UossMud as an example, and Aardwolf, which has qinfo all over the place if you know where to look.
So if 3S is going to do this to me, I'll just not bother. already having the issue with 4 Dimensions to some extent, and Frandum does it a little as well, but at least Frandum's syntax is good.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2017-02-12 04:34:52 (edited by david_solomon1 2017-02-12 04:36:06)

Warder is fairly newbie friendly in that the guild subsidizes all guild purchases and you don't have to start repaying anything until I think guild level 15. It also has it's own guild weapon and cloak, so that helps with equipment. The guild shop sells all but amulet, rings and other slot and the guild donation box usually has some good eq in it as well. So it's not a very coin-heavy guild, it has massive HP regen, gets powerful quickly and is probably the most unique guild with the most stuff to unlock next to gentech. Just be aware of when you start needing to pay the guild back for subsidies. If you drop too far into the negatives they'll lock you out of all guild purchases and angreal requisitions until you donate enough money to bring your balance back up.

I'm just going to say this now. If guess the syntax in any form bothers you, get far, far away from any LP MUD. I have no idea why, but developers of LP seem to love guess the syntax. Other bases where I've seen heavy questing haven't done this nearly as much, such as the Aber codebases. There's a theory floating around that guess the syntax comes from programmers who are used to debugging code building their quests in such a manner that they need that sort of thought process to solve, and since LP is more code heavy than most bases for even basic building I guess this makes sense.

Having said that, if guess the syntax bothers you but you're ok with quest walkthroughs, then just create a character on 3Kingdoms, use the big red button to advance your character a little so it'll save and sign up for qinfo.dyndns.org. They were supposed to have changed the quests in 3Scapes so 3K qinfo didn't work, but laziness works in our favor in this case and as far as I've seen, it hasn't happened. On top of that, for any quests that might have been changed, all they've done really is move a few items around so the hints and directions given by qinfo will be enough to help solve the quest. Some elements of quests are randomised like covenant, but again, with basic directions on the goal of the quest and where to look, what syntaxes to use etc, there's enough that the quest can still be solved without spending weeks ripping your hair out trying to figure out what drugs the wizards were on.

If you're ok with just not questing, there's always just grinding up the unique guilds. Only monks on 3Scapes have quest point requirements late in the guild, though gentech can unlock a guild experience bonus for questing. Questing isn't required at all and is basically there for elitists who like to show off convenience privaleges and shiny but mostly useless or single-boot objects. Some of the later high mortal privaleges look kind of neat, such as an extra shield to help with tanking, quitting with equipment and the ability to summon some kind of minion, but I tend to doubt they're actually that useful since I've never seen anyone using them in the groups I've run with. As for quitting with equipment, people tend to get stuck on that when really, the mud doesn't put that much emphasis on equipment anyway and once you start making money, the auction house is always full of good eq the first few hours after boot, so no need to constantly run gear unless you just like to be competitive.

2017-02-12 06:05:09

One difference i've noticed in the 2 muds is that 3s seems to be more party-oriented wile 3k seems to be more solo (cough botting cough) oriented. So if you're starting out i'd recommend 3s because the 3xgxp speed, the helpful people, etc. I don't play 3s much now, but that is due entirely to angels on 3k. If you're looking for a complex, manual-combat guild, angels may be your cup of tea.

2017-02-13 01:08:41 (edited by Fang 2017-02-13 01:37:12)

Just working my way through the posts now. Still on first page but a few info bits.  I apologise for most likely what will be poor formatting and slightly rambling or disjointed.

Room Descriptions:
You can have brief mode on or off for moving around, this will change if you get the "glance" or the "look" description when you enter rooms.  Look is spamier but has a more long-format version of room exits.

For example Glance will give you
"A Light Square (n,s,w,e)" 

and look will give you
"You are surrounded by burning brush set afire by cannon blasts
and burning arrows sent high into the sky by the charioteers.
The bright light from the flames highlights the detritus of
war scattered by the explosions.  The area is littered with
the horrible mangled remains of humans and animals.
    There are four obvious exits: north, south, west, east "

Some specific areas will have slightly different formats for these, either because of a specific theme in the area (one area in one quest for example has directions of forward/back/left/right that actually changed based on your characters interaction, mapping is advised).  Other areas will be slightly different because the wizard coded that obscure little area back in 1993, was 18 at the time and probably high as a kite, and no-ones gotten to fixing it. *grins*

Brief mode will also have an option of map (compass) on or off.  This compass can actually be enhanced by one of the mudskills in the game.  if you want a verbose mode with no compass the syntax would be "brief off no" for brief off, no compass. If you wanted it back "brief off yes".  This is covered in the help file "help brief" but after awhile perusing help files it's easy to miss stuff.

Joining a Guild:
When it comes to seeing who is online to recruit you into a guild should you choose a recruit one. "who" will give you a basic player list but you can also type "players monk" to see just the players in monks.  Also feel free to use the newb, shout or other chatlines to see if someone is or can be made available.
Also If you are looking to join a guild that requires recruitment and don't see someone on.  Feel free to ask on the shout or "flapchat" line if someone is available. A few high-level players are often on from work and are hidden so that they don't get bugged while idling at work or something.  Or others may be on an alt that is in a different guild and happy to change over to recruit you and help out.  Otherwise you may just need to be a touch patient

Knights:
Knights also have the choice of mounted or non-mounted combat, with mounted having different levels of horses as you progress, and gaining access to the "charge" style (one huge attack every 2 rounds).  Knights are also probably THE most equipment reliant of the guilds on 3k.  But they also probably benefit the most from it. 

Gear and Bootruns:
If you don't like having to snag gear on boots there are 2 alternatives:

Several guilds basically don't give a damn about gear or much of it, such as fremen/monks/changelings, Or can go with forms that use guild gear or little gear such as sii (or sii can wind up in a body that uses all of it, tricksy little space-bugs.)

Alternative(ish) 2 is that recently fixed is the auto-loading gear system. If you are still under level 61 then you can accumulate a set of gear that will auto-load with you.  This is gear that only you have touched (picked it up of the ground yourself and haven't handed to someone else).  This is either gear you've gone and gotten yourself, or gear someone has killed the mob and left on the ground for you. (Several players are happy to help with some of this if you have specific needs).  After you hit lvl 61 IF you are in a guild reliant on gear then you're expected to know at least a few places you can get the unique stuff. Or you' can buy it, or you're fine with the non-unique gear, some of which is still rather awesome.

2017-02-13 01:19:37 (edited by Fang 2017-02-13 01:51:56)

Also yes. "help areadirections" for some (no-where near all) areas that are suitable to starting levels.  These may fluctuate slightly based on guild choice.  Several guilds may also have help files or player-submitted content that will advise on where you can go at certain levels.  Also the command "questlist" will give you a list of quests, you can use arguments such as zone, fantasy, science, newbie etc. or questlist with the name or number of the quest for a fuller description of it.  This description will often also include a rating on level suggestion, if it's a combat, thinking or exploring quest and other factors.

In your list of guilds that allow automatic joining.  Changelings on 3K is also in that. (Sorry all of the stuff I can advise you on is 3k specific as I am not a 3S player. 3S having split off during a long period of inactivity on my part and I'm a knight for life personally.  And 3S doesn't have knights.  However some of the base functionality is supposedly the same between the two.

Also for the person who joined Juggernaughts.  On 3k if you get an energy mount it may be slightly less damage, but you do not have to worry about ammo, if this is the same on 3S then it is often the best first mount to get.

2017-02-13 01:50:33

For those wanting to change the page length in help files and such there is a room east and up from the center of town. In this room you can modify certain settings.  The most applicable here being the number of rows on a page.  The default is 20 from the days of 14 inch CRT monitors. These days most players will often set to 40. If you are looking to just have it dump the whole file then you could set it to 100 or such I imagine.

2017-02-15 15:41:20

What is the best guild that has atmisfear but also isn't too hard on equipment? I think I'd prefer 3K, but I'm an advanced enough mudder to do 3S as well.