2008-03-19 23:35:16

I know I could just email him and I am sorry for this but I thought this was kind of cool.
Well I recently got a new braille note and I look at one of the files and who's names at the top?  Andy's.  Andy, I got your ccd files, and that media file where your screaming for no reason what so ever.  (kinda weird)

Connor

2008-03-20 00:29:14

lol, small world isn't it?

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-03-20 02:59:32 (edited by andy smith 2008-03-20 03:05:52)

Damn. Cj would you mind... Not reading that? I sort have some private stuff in that machine...

And that screaming was attended for some practicing Ryan was doing in visual basic. Lol cj i bet ya got my english folder,history etc. Damn that's ironic!

Also, I might add that I once got a BrailleNote and the guy who used it before me was Stephen, and it looked like we were learning the same stuff. Lol it was funny. There was... Umm a lot of stuff on that machine and it appeared as if we had similar notes, similar "short stories". Now how weird is that!

2008-03-20 03:48:22

Sorta surprised actually noone did a hard reset on it. Then again given how little attention some of these places give to such details...

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-03-20 14:28:33

andy, so far no personal stuff, sorry but I actually erased some stuff

Connor

2008-03-20 22:09:39

Oh. Well, suppose it might have been erased.

CX2 I think they dont hard reset, so that way, your data is preserved even if your unit goes down the tubes and has to be sent back for repair. Since the whole state is part of this "exchange" thing the units are free (but we've gotta give 'em back), sort of like a rental system. I think they pay for the repairs too, and then just put 'em back so the instructors can grab 'em for the students. Not sure how it all works, but that's probably the jist of it.

Btw, a hard reset isn't a good idea on these units, since KeySoft is also wiped. I mean, it reverts back to an older version I believe. Or was that only on the classic note takers, I don't remember.

CJ  I actually used a multitude of models, is the one a BT or a QT since I've experienced both models. But not a PK. Which I hear is crap to type on. Heheh.

2008-03-21 02:13:45

Hmm, would be poor design. I can only speak from experience of the PM but it has the software backed up in flashable rom or something similarly unaffected by lack of power, and when you hard reset or run an update it actually updates the stored backup then reinitialises everything from there. In any case they should really do something to wipe them.

cx2
-----

2008-03-21 18:41:44

I agree, plus, andy it was a qt

Connor

2008-03-21 21:42:02

Ah. Yeah, that one doesn't have much files on it, --or it might, I don't remember when I got my BT.

Another really interesting thing: 60 staff members from New Zealand (where bn is developed) were scrapped, decided to quit, or both happened at the same time. The original developer(s) who worked on the mPower(s) was scrapped too. So, basically this looks like trouble...

2008-03-21 23:29:52

I could be wrong but I seme to recall something about Humanware, who are now the company responsible since the merger they had, relocated their operation so this isn't entirely unexpected really.

cx2
-----

2008-03-22 04:24:00

Yeah but they have what, 1, 2 devs working on the bn? lol and the victors are made in Canada so that's all well and good for them...

2008-03-22 21:13:24

IMO the BN isn't gonna last much longer. While I certainly hope it sticks around because competition is good, it just seems too limitted to me. Although, I've heard the things the BN does it does well.

I mean, what does it tell you when a recognizable person goes to work on a competitive product?

I just think they need to somehow open keysoft up so more apps can be run on it. I don't have a BN but I've played with one. It does seem like a lot of people like it.
LOL kinda like the PC/mac debate.

Just my $.02
Brian

2008-03-22 22:49:56

If you're talking about Jonathan Mosen I've had my doubts regarding his reputability for some time now.

Firstly on Main Menu he reviewed a Pac Mate TNS and was quite impressed.

Then he went to Pulse Data/Humanware and tried saying how much better the BrailleNote family was.

Then he jumps ship to FS and does likewise regarding the Pac Mate.

In any case I can see the traditional notetaker being a dieing breed all around. The BrailleNote is more expensive than a Pac Mate, and offers reduced functionality overall. Given that humanware also has the Meistro, Dolphin make Pocket Hal and the existence of Mobile Speak Pocket I am inclined to think the adapted mainstream platform is likely to become far more common than a closed system. Not to mention all the stuff you can do with either a Symbion or Windows Mobile smartphone too.

cx2
-----

2008-03-23 02:05:45

and then there is the braile plus and Icon thatis trying to come on to the market. Know of someone who is trying to talk me into switching over to the braille plus because the fact of the custemer service being better. Not to shure how to tell them this, but the PM is doing ok with me and if I switch, then I might switch my PC to ubonto. I don't think I spelled that right, but just because the bn goes, doesn't mean that there won't be a choice to make.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-03-23 02:59:12

Yeah. Mr. Mosen is a little... I don't know. I mean first... Well cx2 said it all really, and I agree.

And, in my opinion Humanware can't hold on to WindowsCE4.2 for much longer. It doesn't have WPA nor does it have... It doesn't have... The list can go on and on and on, and they really can't hold onto this ancient OS much longer or they'll be sunk.

2008-03-23 04:01:39

There will always be choice, but I hold by my belief that it will be a lot closer to the mainstream in years to come than in the past. Even if only a choice between a smartphone and a full PDA. There might well be companies who make a go of marketing low cost "personal organiser" type devices though.

cx2
-----

2008-03-23 17:08:25

okay here's my problem
I have the braille note and the icon braille plus, and they both suck playing or streaming audio
I can't watch videos (even if I can't see them) and I can't listen to songs online for free at www.projectplaylist.org

There is one radio station that broadcasts classic rock that works on my bn
www.1057thehawk.com
but nothing else
like I would love if www.wpdh.com would work.
The icon plays no audio what so ever online

Connor

2008-03-23 17:22:42

Well, there's not much that can be done---CJ I also have a braille+ but mine is so dingged I'll have to send it. Which I still! Haven't done. Anyway, you might wanna try
Tech.aph.org/MM
And look if they have any Linux applications for streaming audio.

2008-03-24 03:04:57

what is a linix application?

Connor

2008-03-25 00:28:37

One would imagine it is an application for linux, that is L I N U X by the way.

cx2
-----

2008-03-25 01:34:39

Hi CJ. To be a bit more specific, an example. (try this on your braille+):

Go to the applications menu and press 6, then 9. or, with the braille keyboard type in 2,3,5 and then 3,5.

Your icon shouldnt say anything-- so just type in the word "root" and then press space with dots 4,6. Your braille+ should say:
Root at Icon$
Ok so you've logged in. Now, you're gonna wan to do something, right? Well uhh. There's a lot of commands: cd (for change directory), etc. Now that your in the console and know how to log in, you can install programs. You'll jus t press menu and then 5 to rid yourself of the console for now, and get on to your web browser (from the applications menu, 4,1), and then press ctrl,o for open and type in tech.aph.org/mm and browse the applications there. to install one, download in the normal way you would on the unit, and just to make things easier put it in your root dir. I think itis /internal flash disk/home/root but I might be wrong. now that it's download the web browser is a complete waste and therefore can be closed. go back into the console and type:
gunzip filename.tar.gz
where filename.tar.gz is the actual name of the file. the braille+ should say, "ok" or something similar. now type this.
-xgf filename.tar
Where filename.tar represents the actual filename. Now, you're set to use it. For our purposes lets say you're installing jzip you'd type this:
gunzip jzip.tar.gz
-xgf gunzip.tar
filename.z5 is the text adventure you want. Difficult to explain in any simpler terms so if anyone can, that'd be great.
smile

2008-04-01 03:39:39

Um actually CE 4.2 does have WPA, but HW hasn't really messed with it yet. The icon sounds interesting, but from what I heard on the audio demo the web browser takes for'r'r'r'rhrhrhrhrhrr''r'r'r'rhrhrhrhrhrhr ev'v'v'v'v'v'vhvhvhvhv'v'v'vv''er'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'rrhrhrhrh to load!

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

2008-04-01 06:12:11

THe Icon did get me really excited, but I'll agree some of it's features (copy/pasting, selection of files "marking") sounded pretty herky-jerky.

I had a look at the stuff the Icon apparently includes by default (http://www.levelstar.net/oss) and saw SDL, so maybe you'll have luck compiling mplayer (google - I don't know the address)?

Then again Linux as a whole is really exciting to me at the moment.  While I think I've learned a lot fast (in about a month of seriously checking it out) I have quite a ways to go.

I can't really contribute to the main topic, because I think I erased my files before they took my equipment away (either that or wrecked the device). I got a lot of new stuff (remember the Mount Battin [sp] brailler before it had doubletalk? what fun.).  I'm spoiled, I know.

James

2008-04-01 11:26:38

If you play around with the Icon in the console, what happen then if you damege the operating system? Is it possible to reinstall it without a working operating system on the unit?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2008-04-01 15:46:56

well I take some of what I said back about the icon's audio streaming abilities.
I went to
www.bigupradio.com
and there are some good reggae streams that the braille plus go right on to.

Also, Linix just sounds confusing to me.  Lots of confusing roots and stuff.

Connor