2008-02-21 19:01:18

Hi, I was wonderimg if anyone knows how to create these voice files for rockbox. I heard there was progrmming involved. If anyone knows anything about it please post here. Thanks

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2008-02-21 22:33:15

There's a whole lotta information about this topic on the Rockbox wiki page. You need a tiny little VB-script that builds the voicefiles automatically. On top of that, you need a bunch of small utilities such as the Lame encoder and Wavtrim.

2008-02-24 02:55:55

Ducktail wrote:

There's a whole lotta information about this topic on the Rockbox wiki page. You need a tiny little VB-script that builds the voicefiles automatically. On top of that, you need a bunch of small utilities such as the Lame encoder and Wavtrim.

No, don't do that way. That script thing is outdated. You need cygwin and some RB related packages before you can create that .voice file.

2008-02-24 13:02:35

Yet, the old way still seems to work (or at least it did a while back) and it's way easier. I don't build my own voices though, I prefer to use Festival.

2008-02-24 17:12:39

I tried the old way, and it did everything but there was no voice file once it was done. What is sigwin anyway?

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2008-02-25 13:39:54

I didn't say that the script won't work. The voice files which the script generates just don't work with current builds of Rockbox for two reasons:
1) The speex format is currently the audio format of the voice files. The old makevoices script don't support it (but it's easy to fix).
2) Since per-target voice files were introduced in Audust 2007 (or 2006) the script got outdated, and no-one had time to fix it since the cygwin method is working, but a build environment is a rather hard process to get up and running.