2016-09-11 06:48:40

Superb, the games will be restored. No question about that. Sooner or later, we will have the games back up. When, not sure, but hopefully soon. The loss of the directory most certainly doesn't mean the games are gone, after all John has them stored locally, and as an added precaution once the games are back up, I'll most likely back up the archive to my hard drives as well.

2016-09-11 10:35:13

Hmm
all links are 404 not found.
but the archive gave me muds plat and BSC titles.
which I m waiting to play.
arrik sorry friend but this thing is do not toleratable I am reporting this
well why you go BT sink and why you suggest this it is quite inaccessible and quite annoying.
Thanks
Ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2016-09-11 10:36:55

Jack use degu to restore the games and hopefully I'll got some games in future which I never played before. Thanks
Ishan

2016-09-11 11:23:13 (edited by pitermach 2016-09-11 11:25:06)

Hi John,
If you are interested, you can host the archive on Ghorthalon's server. It's hosting a lot of things including the PG13, dragonapps and a few other sites so it's very well maintained, has 2TB of space so the archive can expand passed 25GB if needed, and because it's a dedicated  linux server there is no anti-virus checking the files or anyone else deciding what gets flagged. We actually tried to make a games archive for PG13, but it didn't get very far, so this way we could link people to a working download page if we stream a game which is no longer officially available. I would also be more than happy to help out writing out links and descriptions if you need more help with it.

If you're interested, send an Email via forum to either Ghorthalon or myself.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2016-09-11 17:56:27

I'm also getting the 404 not found on the super shot and the super shot patch to unlock the full version as well.

2016-09-11 18:51:58

Update:
Yes, the games are still down.
No, don't send hatemail to Jolly Leaf - they're doing everything they can to help out with this.
Reason: cPanel's system has flagged currently unknown files for copyright reasons, i.e: it doesn't think we should be distributing games because we didn't write them.
The current plan is to wait and see what we can do to get the issue resolved.
I would advise against something as complicated as a torent setup, because of the software and knowhow requirements. Using something like that inherently limits your user base to only those who are willing to install and learn a new piece of software, whereas a website or ftp based system allows access by everybody with a browser.

2016-09-11 19:46:11

Second update:
It appears that in order to distribute the games, cPanel is going to ask for documentation for each file that we do in fact have rights to distribute them (since the directory is quarantined, there's no way for either I or Jolly Leaf to see which files are causing issues).
Since providing this documentation essentially requires installing and reviewing the licenses for over 450 different titles, it would seem vastly more expedient to search for somewhere else to host the games.
Therefore, I'm actively looking for feedback: does anybody have ideas for where to store the files that would make them easily accessible and keep them available on a constant basis?
I'll be posting this message to both audiogames.net and the audyssey mailing list, so hopefully we'll be able to come up with something that works.

2016-09-11 19:47:44

John, unfortunately I see this as a very common thing in the terms of service of most web hosting providers. That vague statement that a site cannot be a file storage, or a series of pages of download links, and has to have functional pages within. Granted, this site does, so if that was all there was to it this site would fit that criteria. However, I have a feeling there's some sort of behind the scenes discretion on the host's end, i e, maybe they don't look too kindly on a huge bulk of applications being uploaded to a server at a given time, and they could've gotten suspicious. At the same time, antivirus programs sometimes don't know what they're doing and flag a lot of games, particularly bsc's for some reason, and take them down. Personally I think a dedicated server with no antivirus, something to hold us back, no bandwidth constraints that I'm aware of, would be a good idea for a huge page like this. However, here's one huge, huge problem. Since we included the full-length url's in every link, we'd have to go through the huge pain-in-the-ass process of directing every download/information link to agarchive.tdrealms.com, which will take a good few hours to do in one sitting. Unless, Ghorthalon could provide us with a domain on his server rather than a subdomain. If this could be done, would you be fine moving servers? I just think, that while Jollyleaf could definitely fix this for us, this is still a constraint we'd have to deal with, and who's to know if it'll happen again or not. I think a good idea to move things over to a server with no constraints, nothing beyond the control of Ghorthalon and us, and a faster running server in general.

2016-09-11 20:05:28

Hi Jack,
Fortunately, since I own the agarchive.net domain, we should presumably just be able to update the IP that it points to a new server, instead of updating links.
If I could get a little more info on Gorthalon's server that would be great - storage, bandwidth capacity (mb/sec, not limits), etc.
Jolly leaf has also mentioned running a VPS - I'm going to continue looking into that as well, and will run an analysis once I've got a few options to choose from.

2016-09-11 20:09:40 (edited by jack 2016-09-11 20:16:17)

John, normally when you run on Ghorthalon's server, your address is yourdomain.tdrealms.com, so in our case it would be agarchive.tdrealms.com. All our html pages point to agarchive.net, so that would have to be changed manually. Unless Ghorthalon can set us up with agarchive.net on his server. As for the reason the games directory was deleted, that unfortunately does not surprise me. A part of me thought we'd have it coming, but I figured we should give it time as we had enough explanation on the site, the faq, the game's pages for the Average Joe to understand that we are only hosting the demos of commercial titles, the games and patches for abandoned ones, and free titles, all that allow distribution of the setup files, and that if a dev didn't want their game hosted we can be reasonable with that. But nearly every hosting provider will get suspicious if a huge amount of exe's are uploaded at any given time, the size of the archive alone was probably enough to get us scrutinized by the host. Now that this has happened to us, I feel it's better we run off of someone who we know we can rely on, a friend and one of this community's own developers, running on his own server, rather than a commercial webhost that may or may not agree with what we're doing.

2016-09-11 20:14:25

Jack:
Its certainly up for consideration. Do you know if there's any fee for using this server? In the week or so we were active the archive served about 60gb of files, so this isn't exactly a small load.

2016-09-11 20:19:51

If it's alright with you I can email Kevin aka Ghorthalon and ask him for specifics, but personally I doubt there will be a fee. If there is a fee, I'm sure it'll be more than reasonable. His server's 2 terabytes, there's a few people already hosting their space up there, so it shouldn't be a problem.

2016-09-11 20:23:44

Jack: please do.
I'm not making any decisions yet, but more info can never hurt.
If you can email me the results that would be awesome, so they're a little more easily accessible than here on the forum.

2016-09-12 00:10:06

Hi,

Bandwidth really isn't an issue and storage shouldn't be either. You can just update your nameserver to the IP of mine, I can handle the hosts and stuff. Just send a mail to mail(at)dragonapps(dot)org and we can get something set up.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2016-09-12 00:49:42

nice! Maybe I'll post my anonimous-themed hack of super liam.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2016-09-12 02:36:07

Alright Ghorthalon, well, you also got a forum email fro me. Before I knew the [email protected], I sent you a forum email and my email to [email protected] not only didn't send because that email is probably not active, but, laughably, it accidentally got sent to none other than Humanware tech support! lol

2016-09-12 03:31:34 (edited by Slender 2016-09-12 03:31:57)

Of all people? I'm sure they'll be happy to read this! Now let me just make audiogames for my apex oh wait, no SDK? Oh well.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2016-09-12 03:46:11

Lol! Imagine Notetaker hack for the notetakers, where you're fighting all the Humanware family of notetakers, and the last battle will be with a Braillenote Touch! lol

2016-09-12 03:56:51

Hi jack!
if ghorthalon will help you that will be the ausam
however if there is an another issue then why not you higher mason's surver?
the fee is reasonable only 35 USD and it had to be paid only for one time.
I myself don't know the technical things but take it in a suggestive manner.
Thanks
Ishan

2016-09-12 05:26:51 (edited by jack 2016-09-12 05:28:02)

Ishan, problem is we still can't use Mason's server for our purposes. Because guess what he's using? That's right, Jollyleaf, the very same one we're using Using that on another server will only run us into the same problem we ran into before. So for our purposes, I'd go with Ghorthalon's server because then we can run on a server that's completely independent, and free from constraints from any commercial hosting provider.

2016-09-12 08:56:57

Hi John.
I know you're busy trying to get the arcive up and running again. But do you have any reply to my previous post regarding if it's legal to upload a game where the developers can't be contacted in any ways? If not, then I'll not post about this game anymore, which is sad... I'm not the kind of person who wanna do ilegal stoff.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-09-12 10:50:44

I didn't receive a message from you, Jack, or I'm not looking in the right place. I replied about the agarchive.net deal via email, I did receive that. Does it even say my mail address on my website? I should probably go fix that...

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2016-09-12 16:24:45 (edited by john 2016-09-12 16:25:58)

Update:
We should have something back up and running in short order.
Shane Davidson from Audyssey got in touch with me this morning, and is helping to migrate agarchive.net to his hosting company.
This does mean we'll be keeping the agarchive.net domain, so all links will remain active once I get the games uploaded to the new server.

I'll post here once we get everything finalized.

Ghorthalon:
I did attempt to email you earlier - not sure if it went through.

2016-09-12 18:09:03

Agarchive.net is now on the new server.
All files have been uploaded, and should work as per usual.
There is a period of downtime when switching servers for the internet to catch up, so if you see a page claiming technical difficulties instead of the main archive, try again in a few hours.

Please note that email may or may not function for a short while while I continue migrating accounts. If its urgent (and the site not coming up isn't urgent for a few days yet), you can contact me directly at
jpcarnemolla(@)gmail(.)com

For those of you who had ftp access, please make sure you can access the full archive via your browser before uploading files. If you can't, your submissions or updates will be posted to the old server, which probably means they'll never be seen or heard from again.

2016-09-13 00:51:37

What hosting provider is he using, and do they have any questionable statements in the terms of service (if any) that could set us on the same path as before? Running on a private server like Ghorthalons is a good idea, but if this provider doesn't have the same complicated terms of service that most providers have, and as long as it won't land us in the same situation as before, I'm all for using whatever Shane has for us.