2016-04-27 01:45:29

Hey everyone. So I really want to learn BGT and begin creating audio games. Programming itself isn't unfamiliar to me because I know a handful of CSharp. Here's where my problem arises. I downloaded and installed the BGT manual, but I don't find it helpful at all. It's pretty much just throwing a bunch of code at me without telling me what half of it does.
For those of you who know BGT, how did you learn it? Is there anyone that could mentor me in it? What is your opinion on the manual and do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks.

2016-04-27 13:42:17

Hi,
I don't know much in BGT as it goes with all the functions and stuff, however I understand the syntax. The language I  know is python at this point, but I've had the same success in learning the base of BGT and python. So like you previously said, you want to learn how to make games. I would just suggest looking at other code. Modify it until it does something different, and in general just play around with everything and see what it does. Still, start with the alert function, input_box, simple things like that until you pick up more advanced stuff. I find the BGT manual lacking on beginner instruction in a way, so your not the only one. Its like those books you read on programing where the first chapters make you feel good about the things you have learned. They're also really easy and explain everything pretty well. But after that, the thing just falls out. With no warning, it starts using advanced terms. I faced the same issues just getting the concept of python. Once you get over the beginner challenges, you will begin to see the  fun in coding. Most people who've tried to learn obsess over the thought of this is too hard, and therefor never learn.

2016-04-27 13:51:40

BGT is essentially a set of functions and classes put together to make it more convenient and easier to program audiogames. If you already know c#, you shouldn't have much trouble picking it up.

2016-04-27 22:16:51

@victorious

Yeah, I got that. When I said I know a handful of C#, I meant I know enough to not be intimodated by code haha. There's still tons of questions I have that the BGT manual doesn't explain.

2016-04-28 19:07:14

Hi Ross,
so, if you are familiar with basic programming principles and just have a handful of questions that you couldn't seem to find in the manual, feel free to ask them here. Someone of us should be able to answer them and others who might stumble upon this topic could benefit from the public answers in the future, too. :-)

What part of the manual are you talking about when you say that it doesn't explain beginner stuff in enough detail and just throws all those functions at you? Were you refering to the language tutorial itself, or to the various function and object references?
The references are meant just for that, as is usual with most languages, they are basically just a set of documented examples of the individual functions or classes.
However, I felt the language tutorial was providing enough information when I first read it. I learned the basics of BGT enough to create my first game just from the tutorial, and that was with no previous programming experience, only a shallow familiarity with the Basic interpreter of the 8-bit Eureka A4 computer and the Autoit 2 scripting language, which was even more simple than BGT. Don't forget there is also the series of the game programming in practice tutorials.

If it's the language tutorial itself that's the issue, feel free to copy a problematic section here, ask what's unclear about it, and I'll be happy to explain it to you as best as I can. :-)

Best,
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2016-04-29 00:16:47

@Lukas

I read through the entire language tutorial, even though I knew most of what it said. I read through all of it just because I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything I may not have known. The part I find confusing is the little game tutorials. I didn't like how it just told you to copy and paste the code and then briefly explain what it did. That being said, the first problem I was having that I wasn't able to figure out is the following:

I was trying to get a Sidescroller set up, so naturally, I needed to set up the walking first. I made an array from 0 to 50, and a variable PlayerSteps. If I wanted to have my player step right, I have have key_pressed right, bla bla bla, and then PlayerSteps++. Vice versa with walking left. The problem I'm running into is how to get that to translate to the array, so each time he moves, it corresponds with the position in the array. Once I've got the steps set up, I was going to figure out how to manipulate sounds and all that. Sorry if this is an obvious question lol. Thank you for your help so far man.

2016-04-29 08:18:15

An easier way to do it may be to just use a single integer to represent the player's x-coordinate.

int x = 0; // current position
int levelSize = 10;
if (key_pressed(KEY_RIGHT) && x+1 < levelSize)
x++;
else if (KEY_PRESSED(KEY_LEFT) && x-1 >= 0)
x--;

2016-04-29 10:49:50

That's just about what I was going to suggest, Victorious. :-)
I figured out that in most simpler games like sidescrollers, an array to represent the actual board just is not needed at all in most cases. The player can use a single integer to represent their position like this and enemies, items etc can usually do the same without any serious issues.

Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2016-04-29 13:02:52

Oh hey, that's so obvious I didn't even think of that haha. I was trying to mimic what it looked like in the Windows Attack tutorial haha, but you're right, that woulddefinitely be easier. Thank you for your help!