2016-03-22 02:50:51

Hi, I am building an audiogame, and I am struggling adding sounds to my game. I am using python 3.4 with accessible_output2 and pygame. I know how to use the mixer, but what is the best way to add sounds to the game. I found a couple places that said that you should create a sound library, but what I found wasn't very helpful on how to manage the sounds.

How do most people add sounds to their audiogames? Is there an easier way of managing sounds without just hard coding each sound directly into the code? I hope I am making sense.

2016-03-22 04:03:53

I'm not an expert on this subject. But you could have a sound class with methods for loading, playing, pausing, volume and so.......

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2016-03-30 06:44:32

Can someone explain this concept a little better? I think my question is, is there a way to create a sound library or sound map of some sort to manage the sound. I just want an easier way to manage soundsfor my game. Does anyone have any suggestions on how they deel with sounds in their games?

2016-03-30 08:27:08

I have a few OpenAL examples for handling sound written for Pyglet if that may help over here, they feature pre-built classes for loading and playing sounds. I usually use them in conjunction with a sound handler class to batch load sound assets, then hand that off to other classes to determine what to load and play.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2016-03-30 10:04:01

Pygame's sound handling is kinda minimalist, so figuring out how to organize them can be a bit of a chore.
You should be able to write a small number of functions to simplify most of the work. For example, instead of having to create a sound, get the channel from playing it, and adjust the left and right levels every time, you might try something like:
(It gets a little weird toward the end; I'll explain afterward)

def play2d(filename, listenerX=0, listenerY=0, soundX=0, soundY=0) :
    toplay=pygame.mixer.Sound(filename)
    channel=toplay.play()
    position_sound2d(channel, listenerX, listenerY, soundX, soundY)
    return channel

def position_sound2d(channel, listenerX, listenerY, soundX, soundY) :
    x=soundX-listenerX
    y=soundY-listenerY
    volume=-abs(y)-abs(x)
    vl, vr=convert(x, volume)
    channel.set_volume(vl, vr)

def convert(pan=0.0, volume=0.0):
 v = ((volume+50.0)/50.0)
 if v<0.0 :
  v=0.0
 elif v>1.0 :
  v=1.0
 pan/=10.0
 if pan<-1.0 :
  pan=-1.0
 elif pan>1.0 :
  pan=1.0

vl = v if pan<=0.0 else v*(1.0-pan)
 vr = v if pan>=0.0 else v*(1.0+pan)
 return (vl, vr)

The first function plays the sound, positions it, and returns the channel that it's playing on, in case you want to move it later. If you don't specify the position, the sound will be centered.
The second function handles positioning. You shouldn't need to call it unless you're moving a sound, since play2d already handles that part.
The third function converts the more (x, y)-style positioning into percentages for the left and right channels. You shouldn't need to use this directly; I included it because it made things easier for me. (The indentation is a bit shallow; if that needs to be fixed, I'll change it here).
There are a couple syntactical things in there that might be hard to follow, particularly that part at the end that sets vl and vr. It's not something you will necessarily need, but it's a convenient way to choose one of two values for a variable in one line. (It might be easier to follow were there a comma before the else part, but I don't think that would be legal.)

Also, while I copied convert from another project, I wrote play2d and position_sound2d just now. Hopefully, there aren't any errors, but I hope they're easy enough to understand regardless.

If you're wondering if there's a way to attach sounds to specific events, the answer is "Yes, but the best way would depend on how the rest of your game is organized".

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.