2016-02-07 00:44:11

Hey all,

I've been tossing around the idea of working on a text based adventure RPG. Something along the lines of Core Exiles or Kingdom of Loathing. Not content-wise, but rather operationally. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience and could throw some tips my way.

Thanks a bunch!

2016-02-10 01:35:31 (edited by The Dwarfer 2016-02-10 01:38:41)

Hi,
  such a game shouldn't be awefully hard to create. I suggest you start with learning languages such as HTML and CSS (to make your webpages), and then PHP. Php is what will manage all of your objects and variables and such. I'm actually in the process of learning PHP myself for a similar purpose.
  I am relatively new to this sort of thing, but still I'd be glad to help in what ways I can, because again I'm quite interested in making these games.
  Oh, and something else to further prove it. Even the login page is a .php file...

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2016-02-10 10:30:43

Ok cool. Thanks man. I'm currently learning html and css, but if I have any questions I'll be sure to ask!

2016-02-19 09:39:56

Depending on how complex the game is, you might not even need much PHP.  If it's like those books where you had to turn to different pages based on your choice, you could have an HTML page for each page in the story.  I've done a few of these, and they're a fun project for beginners.  But if the game has any kind of data, like money or lives or score or whatever, then you'll definitely want to learn a scripting language such as PHP; and even then, you could actually do it in JavaScript.  There's this thing called "localStorage" that makes it possible to store data like that on the player's machine, rather than on a server.  This makes it especially easy for a beginner, because you don't have to buy web hosting and learn to deal with databases.  Don't get me wrong - I'm sure you'll want to learn server-side scripting (PHP, databases etc.) someday, but I wouldn't stress it right now.

2016-02-19 20:39:23

Oh you could do that in Java Script as well? I didn't actually know that since I thought it was possible for people to turn Java Script off completely, and also I didn't know you could store data on a machine with it. That's real, real nice to know. smile

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2016-02-19 23:12:42 (edited by CaptainCode 2016-02-19 23:14:00)

Well you're right that people can turn JavaScript off, but these days most people don't.  Without getting too deep into the technical stuff, JavaScript is what makes dynamic web pages and web apps possible.  If a page's content changes without the entire page reloading, more often than not they used JavaScript to do it.  And on the off-chance someone has JavaScript turned off, you can use the <noscript> tag to show a message letting people know they need to turn it on to play the game.

Oh, and one other thing, in case you didn't know: JavaScript is not the same thing as Java.  Java is a general-purpose programming language, used for a lot of different stuff (the biggest one being Android apps).  It's still used on the web, but I don't recommend it.  JavaScript on the other hand is the main language of the web.  No matter what else is used (PHP, Java etc. or none in your case) a web page can't do much without JavaScript.

2016-02-20 00:14:00

Well said Captain code.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software