2021-04-12 18:44:16

there is no such thing as "strongest material in the game", All items are made out of the same materials, the higher level the item, the more material you need, but other than that there's nothing to stop a level 2 character making a level 150 sword, they just won't be able to use it. Indeed, crafting bounty missions often require you to make items higher than your level.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-10-26 00:47:33

I updated the top post, removing Clok, since it seems to be down for good, and adding a few quotes from Dark about other Muds.
At some point, I will be adding Haelrahv to the list, because it's crafting is detailed and immersive, and there is an artisan class.
If you know of any Muds that are gone, or any new ones, please post here.

2021-10-26 01:26:12

I've been trying to play Avalon lately, but it has so few players that it's more depressing tha anything. This saddens me because there's a ton of potential in the game, I think, and it seems like the closest we can come to a really complex MMO-style experience, or something roughly comprable. There's a ridiculously huge skill list but at least one of the cities is more or less dead from what I can tell.

2021-10-26 03:53:42

I would love to play Avalon, because it has the most in-depth farming and crafting I've found on a Mud. But I heard about the potential for a lot of OOC drama, and that put me off of it. Are things relatively calm there?

2021-10-26 04:52:45

@129,

I definitely know what you're talking about regarding OOC drama, but I haven't noticed anything like that on the game proper. I've just been hanging out around Silverfalls, however, which is one fo those places which seems mostly empty. I'd think most drama is more around discussion of the game, but I haven't seen much of that either. I haven't really looked though, I'm more interested in letting the mechanics and such speak for themselves.

2021-10-26 06:28:31

Hi Mirage, glad your back on the forum and maintaining this list.

I've tried avalon several times but always run in to the same problem, namely that the newbie experience is great, but as soon as I choose a profession, I just run out of stuff to do since there was no direction in the game that wasn't dictated by other players, and it seemed pretty difficult to start or find quests and solo activities, can't speak about drama, I do remember there was some sort of hoo-ha a while ago about one of the developers' abusive behaviour in rl, and about the game changing to be more cash grabby, but I'm not sure how that reflected on the game, as I said, I always had trouble getting into it, for all I loved the newbie experience.

On the other hand I do have some good news regarding some other games.

Wayfar1444, which was mentioned several times in this topic is now back up and running and even has a db page, and yes, it has the most insane crafting ever! You can literally build your own starship from scratch!

Coremud is also back up and running and the developers have  done a really nice job with the accessibility here, so that's definitely one to check out, indeed you can probably find the topic discussing accessibility changes on the forum.
one game I would recommend for this list is stellaraeon, it's not exactly got crafting or farming in the traditional sense, but it's got some very unique ideas, though what else would one expect for a game developed by Dentin of Alteraeon.

For a start, it's a space game with absolutely zero combat whatsoever, discover aliens, and talk to them, fly around the galaxy and do lots of mining minerals, stellar surveys, fulfilling cargo missions and the like. You don't build things in the traditional sense, but you can do things like refine your own fuel and ores, or customise your own ship components, idneed for exploration, especially considering the hole world is procedurally generated, there really isn't anything else quite like it.

Though the head developer is very busy  with her new job and can only work on the game at weekends, Erion has been expanding. There are now several new craftable items including candles, and prayer rugs, in preparation for a full faith and pilgrimage system which is coming in the future.

Another fun mechanic, which is none craft related, but imho is a fun one, is liberation. Forage for a feather of liberation, and use it to free captive prisoners or slaves you find around the game for rewards.

Okay, I'll confess I do have a vested interest in Erion since I'm writing for the game myself , adding story missions, background for different areas, and extra mobs to make things more interesting, indeed the feathers of liberation idea came from a suggestion I made which then got coded into the game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-10-26 06:44:52

clok down? what happend?

2021-10-26 09:31:03

@Jason
I don't know what happened to Clok, but I was sorry to see it go. A friend told me it was down for good, and when I checked it, there was no connection.

@Dark,
Would you write a bit more about each of those space games you mentioned? I'll copy and paste to the top post and give you credit for it. I find it difficult to get into space games, but I love Cosmic Rage, so that tends to take up my "space game" space, so to speak.
I love the liberation concept for Erion. That is amazing!

@Zack,
That's good to know. As long as there is no drama in game, I'll give Avalon another look.

2021-10-26 11:59:55

I updated again, to add more about Cosmic Rage, and to add a list of "Muds to try" which are those that don't yet have entries on the top post but that others may want to check out. I thought that would be the quickest way to get information to those who are looking for it, if they want to research a Mud for themselves.

2021-10-26 12:11:02 (edited by JasonBlaze 2021-10-26 12:18:35)

ah... I guess it explains why people are over cogg now... maybe you could replace clok entry with cogg? basicly they are almost identical but diffrent, lol wierd thing to say but it is like that. for example, you could also farm on cogg, but instead of opening your own plot on the wildreness, now you have to pay for a land rent in shadgard and farm there. in adision to that, you could also tend to animals, like cows, chikkens and sheeps and use or sell their productions to the market.

2021-10-26 12:19:41

Clok is...sadly gone for good. I'm working on converting clokpack to coggpack now but it may take a good while given I have all sorts of irl stuff to deal with, health treatment, life drama, job application, laptop transition and lost data recovery, billions of other pending projects and works I have to do all at once which is partmy my fault for accepting too many and having little time to deal with all of them. But I'll do it.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2021-10-26 12:27:53

@Mirage nice additions to the top post.

I will admit the feathers of liberation was actually my idea, since it kept bothering me that you'd see so many mistreated slaves or prisoners as background mobs in a lot of parts of the game, and not be able to actually do anything to help them. Aelyn liked the idea, and I'm really glad it made it into the game, indeed there will hopefully soon be some missions just connected with finding and liberating captives.

Both Wayfar1444 and coremud have db pages, so feel free to check for information.

Stellaraeon is rather different, and I'm not %100 sure whether it counts or not, since as far as I know you don't actually craft! anything. The hole game does revolve around mining and exploring though.

I notice you mention two towers, which is also a game I've been playing.

That's an interesting one since from what I can gather, the craft skills there aren't really a major part of the game and can't really affect your gameplay accept in roleplaying terms. However, I've run into a good few quests in the game that revolve around none combat actions, finding things, working things out, and yes, on occasion making things, often with great description and actions.

For example, one of my favourite quests in the grey havens revolves around helping the elf shipwrights build a boat, which requires a lot of different commands and detailed crafting actions, like steaming the planks to make them expand, bending them around the frame etc.

Another really nice quest involves helping a sick farmer in adornas in Rohan to plant his field, which includes hoeing the ground, digging and planting and watering the seeds.
There's even apparently a new quest for glass blowing too, so while the games' crafting activities are apparently fairly minimal, just playing the game in and of itself can often involve a lot more than just the usual hack n slash.

2021-10-26 19:45:34

The predatory behavior of Avalon's developer which includes grooming of minors is something that has put me off of that game forever. It rang the death knell for me and it could sprout wings and spill magical butterflies and I'd never play it again.

I also put money in to the game before I knew about said predatory practices and that was mismanaged so I have never had any regrets about leaving it behind.

I love that you keep this list updated. Farming, crafting, and exploration are my bread and butter and the things that pique my interest when it comes to games. I am going to try other suggestions on this list.

2021-10-26 19:47:07

I thought 6dragons is down?

2021-10-26 22:55:12 (edited by Dark 2021-10-26 23:07:00)

@Firefly yep, classic six dragons is down and probably needs taking off Mirage's list. A shame since the game had some interesting potential, I particularly liked the wilderness system, and siege warfare looked really interesting.
There was a mod of it called days of dragons kicking around at one point, but that also seems to be down now sadly.

@Meghtastic, not that I don't mind a good bit of monster murder in a good cause, but I confess if a game is just! hack n slash, I tend to lose interest relatively quickly, since for me it is always exploring, and trying and building different things that is interesting, and even the fighting has to be for some sort of point other than levelling just for the sake of levelling, one reason I'm looking forward to Erion's faith and pilgrimage system being added to the game.

I've also discussed adding farming and building activities, though since the chief developer can only work on the game at weekends, what with her also having a job and family, if such things do get added it might be a while.

2021-10-26 23:22:06

I'll take those Muds off the list.
Thanks to everyone for keeping me up to date.

2021-10-27 03:47:11

I would like opinions.
Does everyone think I should leave Dark Legacy on the list, or delete it?
It looked so detailed, but after the tutorial, it seems like development stopped. There was only the starting town, as I remember.

2021-10-27 05:19:19

I haven't played dark legacy, but I'd say it's a question of how much is there.
7th plane hadn't been under active development for quite a while last I checked, heck the newbie academy area was never finished, but there is still a lot to be done in the game anyway.

2021-10-27 05:42:22

Dark Legacy is effectively dead.  I'm not sure it's still up, but as of a few years ago it was at the point where players literally rebooted the server by crashing the game because the main admin wasn't around anymore, couldn't be contacted by anyone, no one had server access, and he was so paranoid about code theft that he wasn't ever open to publishing it even if he had been.  He was also halfway through rewriting a *ton* of stuff, alienated his playerbase by wiping out a bunch of progress in the name of this rewriting, completely destroyed the main city with one of those nonsensical "it's a mud, better do the city to scale with tons of empty space" things, etc.

Which is a shame, because even in the "I tore it all down" half-finished form it's still good, and back in the day it was what Conquest wanted to be but fails at in many ways.  So, well, probably you should remove it.  But that's a damn shame.  It's up there next to Project Bob w.r.t. unique games that are dead that I wish weren't, and which I can hold up as examples of making sure your project has some sort of way to continue without you is just so important.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-10-27 09:20:58

Funny you should mention Project Bob. I thought of that Mud when I was making the Dark legacy post, and what a loss they both are. I can't imagine putting so much time and effort into creating something wonderful, only to take it down. Same goes for Clok.

2021-10-27 11:58:42

well, about CR(cosmic rage) here would be a downgrade post with lots of agreement from our forum, it can be upset as it keep lowering pay out without any in character reasons, even have no news or anything. more.
https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4219 … smic-rage/

2021-10-27 13:32:00

can you describe me how project bob was?

2021-10-27 16:16:45

Project Bob was Diablo the  mud.  It was ridiculously over the top random dungeons, all eq was random with the prefix/suffix system you see in a lot of those games, ridiculously over the top spell mechanics where you and 2 other members of your group being coordinated could pull off craziness, and so many stats to play around with and understand that you could just keep going down the rabbit hole forever and ever and ever.  Basically, it was random dungeon hack and slash and they understood that if they weren't going to do tons of areas to explore, they'd better double down on getting random dungeon hack and slash to be really really fun.

But apparently there was drama and then there was no more game anymore and both this and Dark Legacy are kind of on my examples of how being good at art comes with being weird list.

People don't publish their dead projects because they get attached to the idea that it's special in a weird "my precious" way, then when it ends it usually ends in a way where they drop off the face of the earth.  Combine that with muds being a dying breed and there you have it.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-10-27 17:58:38

question: is there any significant crafting in Lostsouls, the game is so big and complex, I honestly can't tell with what I've played even though I've wracked up a dozen hours or so.

2021-10-27 18:38:12

I loved playing Project Bob so much. I even had a published episode on there. I had the opportunity to meet Matrim, the owner, as he lived very near me and he was incredibly nice. I hate that it went down. It was a game where I could be on staff and only focus on creating content instead of having to worry about being "Play nice Mommy" and enforcing rules. The primary tenet of that game was fun over frustration. So there was no hunger or thirst, but you could boost stats by eating and drinking. Death wasn't awful and you could just keep going. It was such a treat and easy to get sucked in to for a good long while.