2015-11-04 08:23:08 (edited by magurp244 2015-11-04 10:43:36)

AudioCraft v1.0 is a modification of an open sourced Minecraft Demo by Michael Fogleman, you can find the original source here, and includes Peter Meijers image to sound rendering technique for displaying the screen.  The source code for Audiocraft is included for anyone that wants it, and you can do whatever you like with it (be sure to include the License). It was coded using Python 2.7.10, Pyglet 1.2.4, and Numpy 1.9.2.

It includes a simulated Depth Map using grey textures and black background/fog for image to sound rendering, just press "E" to get a sweep of your surroundings on the screen. There's also navigation sounds for walking, bumping into objects, jumping, placing, and removing blocks. The players view can be controlled with either the keyboard or mouse, the vertical and horrizontal positions of the players view are represented by the pitch of two distinct tones. Vertically the higher the pitch, the higher your looking, capped at straight up. The lower the pitch the lower your looking, capped at straight down. The horrizontal tone acts as a compass, the lowest tone faces south, the highest tone faces north. Using the keyboard will snap the view screen to the fixed compass points associated with each tone. Another feature is an identifying sound, by pressing "Q" a sound representing the type of block that is in the crosshairs at the center of the screen will play, the higher the volume the closer the block is to you. You can also press "Z" at any time to get a voice description of the type of block centered in the crosshair.

W,A,S,D, to move forward, backward, and strafe, left mouse button or shift destroys a block, right mouse button or enter places a block, space to jump, numbers 1 to 4 for selecting block types to place, press Escape to quit. Tab toggles fly mode on and off.

You can listen to a recording of the Prototype here:
Audiocraft Recording

Or Download the Prototype here:
Audiocraft v1.0

Note that the Prototype may take abit to load, it has to randomly generate the level and pre-cache hrtf tables. For best performance when playing Disable Display Scaling on High DPI Settings and run it in compatibility mode for winxp sp3. Headphones and a good mouse are also recommended.

edit: Forgot to mention the keyboard input for creating/destroying blocks, enter and shift.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2015-11-04 16:58:59

Way cool! Before I lost my vision I used to play minecraft. I wondered if anyone would try creating an audio version of it. Thanks!

2015-11-05 07:34:55

Well this is more of a proof of concept, just walking around and placing/destroying blocks basically. I think though that if people are comfortable and able to navigate this Demo it could help work towards an accessibility mod for mainstream Minecraft, or other games perhaps. I don't have much experience in 3D or Minecraft modding though so other people are welcome to take a crack at it, but I'll keep working on it and see where it goes.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2015-11-05 17:10:41

As far as I know there isn't anything like minecraft that's accessible. So even a proof of concept is more than we have now.

2015-11-06 01:32:05

Keep up the good work, man! We're one step closer to an accessible mind craft! Best of luck!

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce