2015-11-04 07:45:46

Hello ,
I am not sure if i should have opened a new topic for this or used my main topic.
If this should have been in my main topic, please merge this if possible.

My qyestion is towards the players.

If you would be in game would you like to have a option to enable microphone.
Meaning when your close to other people you can directly speak to them instead of typing.

What would you do, and yhes to prevent abuse i would include a mute function so you can mute players.
Anyways im pretty curious if you would like something like this, since i have build the framework for it allready.
A basic chat system would also be included for those that dont have a micrpohone or just wants to type.

Kinds Regards,
Xsense

Put your coding where your mouth is.

2015-11-04 08:25:37

Social gaming is definitely the epidemic of the current times, with well nigh every option available within the mainstream market offering some iteration of communication between players. I think it's definitely reasonable to include such features, where possible, into the audio gaming sphere, processing power and bandwidth notwithstanding. Text chat is fine, but there's no substitution for vocal coordination between various parties.

Along with communication, though, comes room for abuse and trolling, not to mention personal preferences and idiosyncrasies. Being able to toggle off such a feature, or being able to silence specific individuals would definitely be necessary ancillary features.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2015-11-04 09:44:58

Hey Xsense, that would be great, specially, as Kai said, if we have the option to turn it off or mute players individually. I personally imagine myself using it alot to talk instead of typing all the time.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2015-11-04 10:41:38

Hey guys,
Thanks for the comments so far.

As i thought myself this would be a nice feature.
The options would be there of course to either disable or enable it.
And of course to mute players.
Also probably a hotkey for toggling it quickly on and off.

I have allready implented this functionality,
So it's possible to use a connected microphone on usb, or laptop integrated, or when you connect a headset to the xbox controller.

Of course its not fully completed but the main functions are there and working fine.
I still have to look into what compression methods are best for streaming so that people with lower speeds can use it.
And not to mention the server can handle it properly as well.

So far functionality.
- Turn on / off microphone.
- Select microphone from options.
- Directional input ( When someone is standing left or right or front or back of you , you can hear where they are.).
- Handling streams and muting of players "saved in database".

Thus far the above is done, but it requires a lot more for mainstream i think.
Which is not a problem, i am just wondering if its worth putting time into it.

Put your coding where your mouth is.