2015-10-17 17:58:53

AF is correct, main stream side scrollers are around the 10-20dolla range, maybe I was a bit harsh saying 2bucks for the game but me personally I wouldn't pay no more than 5. not trying to drive away developers because yes I do appreciate each and every one taking time out to make an audio game but at the same time certain things are expected from a game when a price tag is slapped on it, there is no way of getting around that

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2015-10-17 18:18:18 (edited by EternalGamer 2015-10-17 18:19:24)

Aaron I only hope you do realize that the whiners represent a minority here, in spite of them being the loudest. And I don't mean this thread in particular, just the general state of affairs. Keep up the great work.
As for the demo, just finished it with: 18 arrow pouches, 4 angel's breaths, 17 holy supplements, and 5 lives, on difficulty normal. Brag brag!
A winner never flames. A flamer never wins.

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2015-10-17 18:41:53 (edited by musicalman 2015-10-17 18:43:27)

Damn Eternal Gamer, you are good!
spoilers
for
the
rest
of
this
warned!
Right now I am trying to fight Hades. From what I can tell, his attacks are simple enough but deadly. He first starts out by spawning a lot of dogs and fireballs, then when you hit him he spawns a bunch  of priests. After that he'll spawn Satan devils every now and then, and eventually he'll start knocking holes in the floor. Not sure if all these events are specifically timed or if they're random or what, but all the while he's firing off fire spells which deal massive damage, and electric spells which will freeze you and allow him to step in for eh kill. He can also lunge in for an attack like the vampire lady does. I hope his health doesn't reset when you lose a life. If it does, I will cry. Lol
Damn I hate this battle! Has anyone reached this point yet and can maybe offer some sort of hint?

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2015-10-17 18:59:37

Wow Raygrote you're fast! Good thing tomorrow is Sunday, cause I know how the night will be spent. Can't wait to join you at the Gates of Hades. And good luck to you!

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2015-10-17 19:00:54

Every boss regains their health when you die.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2015-10-17 19:03:08

There's only one thing I can say to that: Oh! My! Goodness!

2015-10-17 19:10:42

Spoiler question ahead! Spoiler question ahead!

In the level after vampire lady and approach the pit that is too large to jump over.  Where is the alternate way? Went back to beginning of the level to see if new area opened up but nothing there.

Thanks

2015-10-17 19:15:25

I agree with PinkSapphire. It's seeing comments like these that has over the years robbed me of my motivation to really learn to program games or, at the very least, to make them available to the public. And that's not even including the generally chaotic nature of life that sometimes forces you to step away from it, sometimes for long periods of time. Perhaps the game is overpriced, but I paid for it simply to support Aaron, and I definitel disagree wit the coment about it being worth five bucks at most. Yes I might have liked to see a little more done with the game but it's still no walk in the park. I have yet to beat level 4 without losing enough lives and using enough healing items to make subsequent levels all but impossible. Those damn rocks! LOL. Do I wish more peple would explore more of what the side scroller genre really has to offer? I certainly do. But until then I'll take what I can get.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2015-10-17 19:29:28 (edited by musicalman 2015-10-17 19:31:37)

Well Eternal Gamer, all I can say to you is good luck. I'm on easy and I am really struggling with it. With you on normal I can only hope for the best... I've come to realize over the years that my reaction time and quick strategic thinking skills aren't quite up to the task of many modern audio games, so it takes me more tries to get things done, and more often than not I feel like I'm totally avoiding strategy and just jumping, swinging like a desperate mad man. Which definitely will not work in this game.
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
The way to get across the really long pit is to let the wind enemies carry you over and kill them. You have to be careful though because there are more than one, so they could gang up on you and push you around, and who knows where you'll end up? If my recollection is correct, there are other enemies right after the pit which you could easily get caught up in, and once you do, the wind guys will come back and quite possibly throw you into the large pit. My advice is to let them carry you over and do whatever it takes to get away. You'll probably have to do some fighting. Also I think the wind guys respawn, but not quite sure. Don't rely on them more than you have to, they're still enemies that need to be killed!

2015-10-17 20:11:43

I tried the demo and I will do so again if I can figure out the Grey Lady.
So far, the game sounds interesting and I will consider buying it.
About the game development discussion:
What I don't get is why no one has made their own "Audio Unity".
This obviously is a nickname.
I know that this community has visually impaired members or people who were sighted once and then lost it later in their lifes.
I know that especially most audio game companies are small like the small mainstream developer teams compared to big game companies.
But I think that because development groups are small or one man deals, we should have our own game engine which would make development easier, because not every part of the game would be needed to be written line by line.
I know that audio game development goes back years.
And even in the time we started, mainstream games were obviously ahead.
What I don't get is why it is seemingly hard to get to a point where they were years ago, because I know that we are behind and can't catch up in a short amound of time.
I mean really, everyone probably knows Doom and Quake (first titles, not later games) at least by Name or reputation. And this is obviously only PC related.
But how old is the Final Fantasy series?
That supposedly was a hit years ago and still seems to be.
But I have never seen any Kind of audiogame let's say comparable to Final Fantasy 7 or 8.
Or fighting games like Metal Gear, Mortal Combat or Street Fighter.
And don't even think about games the size of The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt or World of Warcraft, where we have bigger developer Teams and lots of post release Content, paid and free.
But if I am right, official game developer or modding tools existed and I think I remember reading that lots of mods for Doom 1 and Quake 1 were published in a time where not everyone had internet and those who did used modems and not DSL.
Yet people managed to create (for that time) high quality content and could share it.
But since many sidescrollers use similar principles, I still wonder why there is no accessible engine for creating such games with some kind of audio/TTS powered level editor.
I mean, if we have developers who can code such things for example in BGT, what stopps such people making their own audio game engine and sell it like any other program or tool out there?
I know only of two engines, but I do not know what they actually can do.
I mean the GMA Engine, which is not something you can simply buy of the shelf like their games.
I know only that it is something which relies on the developer writing lots of code, despite being some Kind of engine or maybe library. I don't know if it actually has any form of level editing tools.
Then Draconis made something for the release of Silver Dollar and t new Change Reaction so that it could be released on multiple platforms.
And then there is the Genesis Project from USA Games, but whatever Version exists, it is probably still in development and thus currently not released to the public

@assault_freak: Since you know lots of things regarding Japanese mainstream and audio games, I would like to ask you if you know what the program/Tool known as HSP actually does.
I know that BK3 was made with it, but I do not know if it is like BGT, a programming language/IDE, or if it is actually some kind of game engine in which level design is possible through some kind of level Editor and not via creating your levels the old fashioned way.

I think this is enough, since this topic is not really about development tools, but about a game of which I don't know if it has any kind of replay value.

2015-10-17 20:17:54

OK, I'm now at the gray lady part. No matter what I do shooting her with my arrows, or jumping over her, she still hits me. When she hits me, I'm frozen for a few seconds and Toshi teleports away. Can someone possibly do a recording of this area? I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks a lot!

2015-10-17 20:35:52

@Raygrote
Thanks for the hint.  For some reason I seemed to have killed all enemies and didn't see any wind guys reappearing. But Will try again.

2015-10-17 20:48:42

For those who want it, I have made a recording of the grey lady battle. The execution isn't the best, I probably could've made some better timing decisions, but I did it without losing a life and only used about 3 arrow pouches. This was on easy difficulty BTW. Download it here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/540 … y_lady.mp3

2015-10-17 20:58:39

Yep, that's how I got her as well, although I spent more arrow pouches I think.

2015-10-17 22:00:45

There was an audio game engine years ago. It was called Audio Game Maker. It was, to be polite, laughable.

2015-10-17 22:36:41

Ah don't even get me started on that thing! Okay what the heck, I will... Just because I'm bored enough to.
The major problem I had with it apart from the very buggy sound engine, is that there were certain things which were simply impossible to do, and the whole setup was just clunky and from what I've heard, had unjustifiable bugs. Even if you set something up correctly according to the engine's spec, it still didn't behave as it should. There was no way to assign keystrokes to check health, lives, or anything else, and you couldn't set up your own custom variable and patterns for things I don't think. No matter how you set up enemies, they'd always move toward you or toward a certain destination and hang onto it like a magnet. That means if they found you, they'd sit on your head and squash you, and nothing you did would make them go away so they'd kill you eventually just by being on top of you and repeatedly attacking you. There may have been a way to change this behavior but it wasn't worth going through the clunkiness to figure it out. Shooting enemies was awful too, no matter how you set it up. Creating an obstacle that would kill the player was pretty time consuming, and if you died, you had no way of returning to the game, unless you set up a very specific procedure. By default you would get killed and the thing would just sit there like, yeah what do I do now? And while I understand you can't just expect the thing to know what you want, it almost felt like I was fighting to do what the engine wanted. The whole thing was just so unintuitive and unrewardingly frustrating. We tried to mention these things upon the product's release, but after about 2 to 3 weeks of what I would call very polite and due criticism, they just vanished. I do hope they were not offended or discouraged by our words, as that was not anyone's intent I'm sure.
Anyway, I'm done now. Back to more positive things.

2015-10-17 22:38:22

I remember.
But I don't know why this tool was so bad.
I know that it was announced and then the release was delayed I think.
And wasn't there a fire in the building the developers worked or something?
And I don't know if the fire caused massive damage to their work and if this was why they canceled the Project and released the last "stable" Version.
I think this probably was more like an Alpha or beta Version, but never a finished product.
But why no other atempts for public release were made is beyond me.
I also don't know why the GMA Engine even if it might be "only" extensions and libraries isn't on sale for the public like the games are in an onlineshop, while the GMA Engine might be only optained on request via direct contact.
There isn't a Thing like a demo or even a page which tells what the Thing is and what Features it has or how to contact them for Information or Business talk.

2015-10-17 23:52:14

As for Audio Game Maker they claimed they needed more funding tocontinue development.

2015-10-18 00:32:49

s
p
o
i
l
e
r
Now, isn't zombie rot kind of interesting and creepy? Almost seems like a simulation of my soul leaving the body which then becomes a zombie under the control of a primitive intelligence, mostly just killing drive and an awful tendency of jumping into holes.

2015-10-18 00:58:03

Lord Raven, I'm actually not sure what HSP is. I could probably look it up, but I'm not sure because if you look at BK 3 at least and all of Yukio's other games, they're programmed in python if what I know of .py files is correct. Shadow Line doesn't have them, so I don't know... but if I had to gues, I would guess that HSP is some sort of library, not an actual programming language. But I could be wrong.

Discord: clemchowder633

2015-10-18 01:19:48

All the money in the world wouldn't have made one ounce of difference. The idea was the problem right from the start. A wisiwig editor can only do so much. That's great for world design, object placement and the like but game mechanics require some code. The idea sounds kool on paper but in reality one size simply doesn't fit all.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2015-10-18 01:39:07

no, the game was definitely programmed in hsp, hot soup processor, or something like that.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2015-10-18 02:58:13

(I wonder if this whole development topic isn't far enough from the subject of The Gate to warrant a new thread?)

BK: I checked the file extensions, because I noticed the same thing. What you're hearing as .hpi is actually dot h p i.

I've tried making game editing tools since the first year or so of having any idea how to program. I am bad at finishing things. Heck, I think one of my Text Adventure Map Editors is still online. ... Maybe two of them, actually.
I tried making something with shortcut keys to speed up common operations, but it wound up more annoying than just typing everything in notepad.
I tried reading a walkthrough for RPG Maker, and literally just using it as instructions to code an audio version. ... More than once.
I'm pretty sure I'm broken, else one of those would actually have amounted to something. Conscientiousness / Executive Function are resources, too.

(And I've tried an image editor, and some kinda experimental audio programs, and I had an editor type thing for a 3D game engine at one point, but then life happened and I was without my computer long enough for it to die. Also it was kinda clunky. Etc.)

So, yeah. I'd do it, but I'm useless, so someone else needs to do it, and no one else is doing it. Hence, we come back to cash: if no one is going to do it on their own initiative, I'd be willing to pay someone to do it, except that whole being useless thing does not lend itself to having loads of cash to risk on something like this.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-10-18 04:39:32

Right, so much for me just never checking extentions. lol Appears that HSP definitely is an actual programming language, then.

Discord: clemchowder633

2015-10-18 05:25:48

Heh, I finished demo on easy with: 7 Lives, 18 Arrow Pouches, 5 Angel's Breath, and 14 Holy Supplements. Not too bad!