2015-10-10 20:34:51

Roro, I couldn't figure out what corrupted your save file, but I will continue to watch out for the cause.

I've posted a new update!  This one will hopefully add a little more spice to the game, and I'm especially hopeful that people will post some custom item lists.  Down the road I might adjust the game so that people can disable the built-in items that the game starts with, and have it only run off of the custom lists.  That will depends on whether people actually end up using this feature.

Changes from 0.8 to 0.9

- Fixed the warehouse menu, which was returning people to the wrong spot after buying merchandise.
- Fixed a typo on the monthly statement that switched the words "loss" and "gain".
- The pharmacy has been added to the game, as another store extra that can help keep customers returning to your store instead of visiting your competition.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the AI players from ever setting up a customer rewards program at their stores.
- Fixed a bug that was showing the wrong items and purchases in your monthly statement.
- Fixed a bug that was sometimes crashing the game suddenly.
- The dedicated research team has been added now.  With this store extra, you pay $2000 each month but no longer have to pay for individual market research services.  If you find yourself spending over $2000 each month on research, adding this to your store might be a smart move.
- Each week the game will automatically save your game into a temporary file called "lastsave".  This should not be used as an excuse to exit your game without saving, but should something terrible happen and the game closes without you saving, at least you can load up a recent save file.
- Due to a variety of game changes over the past several versions, players can no longer load saved games created with version 0.6b or earlier.  Up until now I've been careful to keep the game able to load those old save files, but I think most players will already be using a more up to date version.
- A ton of new items have been added to the game, but there are only ever 28 types available at the warehouse.  When an item is completely sold out, it will be replaced with an entirely new item.  This should help keep the player on his/her toes because new items will continue to pop up which might be the next big seller!
- Feel like playing the game with some custom items?  Well now you can!  You will find an example file in your U-Mart folder, named items1.txt.  Read it carefully and you should be making your own items in no time!  Not only can you fill the file with a bunch of items, but you can create more files too.  Just change the number, up to a maximum of items99.txt, and the game will read in all of them.  Why would you need 99 files if you can put hundreds of items into a single file, you might ask.  The answer is that you could keep things organized into themes.  Perhaps you use 1 file for pet store related items, and another for clothes.  You can also write up a great file and post it for other players to download!  I can only imagine all of the creative and funny items the community could put together.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2015-10-10 21:41:16

Hey Aprone. Awesome update, I think the last save feature which was introduced will help preventing the corruption which happened to my save. I'm gonna download the game now and restart my own business, hoping to make it to 2020 this time big_smile

2015-10-11 02:36:05

totally awesome, aprone. pulling the new version down right now. i'm gunna have some fun with this methinks! ahaha

2015-10-11 07:55:51

This sounds like the exact kind of game I've been hoping for for years!  I'll definitely check this one out.  Thanks Aprone, for a lot of fantastic games.

2015-10-11 13:04:20

Ahoy all!
All the bugs at least the ones that were the most annoying have seem to have been fixed woot!

Monthly financial statement for January, 2015. 
You are currently worth minus $5,344.80, once loan debt is factored in.
Kai Mart owner Jeremy is currently worth minus $108,401.92, once loan debt is factored in.
Neptco owner Jennifer is currently worth minus $164,581.53, once loan debt is factored in.
Monkey Barn owner Lillian is currently worth minus $109,300.46, once loan debt is factored in.
White Divils owner Emily is currently worth minus $121,359.22, once loan debt is factored in.
You began January with $50,000.00 and ended with $94,655.20, for a net gain of $44,655.20.
You spent $6,960.00 on employee wages.
You spent $1,000.00 on monthly bills, such as utilities and extra store services.
You spent $0.00 on loan payments.  Your loans generated $0.00 interest.
You spent $1,500.00 on market research.
You spent $2,000.00 on store construction, and other miscellaneous extras.
You spent $1,136.00 on 20 Towing chain.
You sold 14 Towing chain for a profit of $2.80.
You spent $1,238.80 on 20 Heavy duty tarp.
You sold 8 Heavy duty tarp for a profit of $78.48.
You spent $940.80 on 20 Electric toothbrush.
You sold 20 Electric toothbrush for a profit of $184.20.
You spent $1,568.00 on 20 Small TV.
You sold 8 Small TV for a profit of $164.80.
You spent $2,007.00 on 20 Kitchen sink.
You sold 20 Kitchen sink for a profit of $393.00.
You spent $44,562.60 on 80 Aluminum greenhouse.
You sold 78 Aluminum greenhouse for a profit of $10,805.00.  2 were stolen by shoplifters, for a loss of $1,097.60.
You spent $42,336.00 on 60 Gas generator.
You sold 60 Gas generator for a profit of $8,079.00.
You spent $50,238.60 on 60 Buzztech electric oven.
You sold 60 Buzztech electric oven for a profit of $19,966.40.
You spent $40,768.00 on 40 Apocalypse pack.
You sold 27 Apocalypse pack for a profit of $3,773.60.  1 was stolen by shoplifters, for a loss of $1,019.20.
You spent $62,720.00 on 40 Dell Badgerio.
You sold 40 Dell Badgerio for a profit of $29,040.00.
You sold a total of 335 items, for a profit of $72,487.28.
Shoplifters stole 3 total items, costing your store $2,116.80.

Thanks aprone for this game and for all the work/time you put into games :d
I specially like the item creation feature,and too am looking forward to what people come up with. I'm just going through the game to see what items have been added
after which I'll see what I can come up with myself.
now I can also go and own a computer and electronics store, Iphone 6s and 6s plus,anyone? tongue

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2015-10-11 13:22:40

Ahoy again

That, ehh did not go so well. after the last month statement that I posted, I played on til mid feb  I think. After which I saved the game,and quit
Now I seem to be on January 0, 2014 and everything is all sorts of messed up
I have the save file here I suppose that might help some? in getting rid of this issue.
I can also mail it to you If you prefer it?

Follow me on twitter

2015-10-11 16:35:14

Grryfindore, I am downloading your saved game now and I'll try to have it repaired as fast as I can.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-10-11 16:53:54

Okay, new update posted that solves the file loading bug.  Grryfindore this should let you load your game and continue making a killing selling those towing chains!  ROFL!  Just kidding of course, and I literally laughed out loud when I saw how much profit they made you in your monthly statement.  Don't spend that $2.80 all in once place good sir.  big_smile

By the looks of your monthly statement, you seem to be totally destroying the AI competition!  I'm wondering if I need to sit down and rewrite the AI soon, to hopefully make them a bit better.  They weren't all that impressive originally, and I don't think they fully understand how to take advantage of the store extra features.  They build them, yes, but they don't really think and plan out what to make and why, like how a real player will.  Hmm, I'll brainstorm a bit.

Grryfindore, doesn't it just figure that the 3 items people stole were the most expensive things you were selling?!  I chuckled at that too.  Thousands of dollars lost on the greenhouses and apocalypse pack.  I was about to say that must string, but I realize that really that isn't bad at all considering this is a whole month summed up.  Do you already have anti theft measures added onto your store, because only 3 shoplifters is quite good.

Changes from 0.9 to 0.9b

- Fixed a bug that prevented the game from correctly loading saved files.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-10-11 18:02:31

Hi. Well I actually updated my version to 0.9B and the save bug was solved, but now when you're gonna buy items,, all of them are the same: Towing chains in my case. That means that all the items in the list are called towing chains and all of them are priced the same. I don't wanna continue selling only one type of items, which I never introduced in my store before big_smile I hope you've understood what I mean, the list of items is still showing, but all its elements are from the same item.

2015-10-11 18:06:15

Wow Roro, that's one of the strangest bugs ever!  I'm in the middle of fixing a paw prints bug, but I'll jump back over to U-Mart after.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-10-11 18:17:06

Usually once I managed to get 80 or 90k and have paid off my starter loan (which usually happens sometime in january of the first year), I just load up on all the extra features at once and completely obliterate everyone from then on, unless I do something stupid like not watching how price trends are going.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2015-10-11 19:48:47

Ahoy all
I guess the game wants us all to tow the line with the towing chains, eh? plus, you can't resist those massive profits of about $2.80! :d
I'll download the update as soon as I am done writing this and see If the same towage happens with me
Aprone, I started on the eazy setting,so my eazy winnings  might have something to do with that,but I don't suppose the AI conducts analysis rades upon us and each other yet. Might be something to consider for the normal and the hard versions.
I didn't have any theft countermeasures installed at first but I did get a few eyes of the big brother to keep watch upon the scum after someone managed to get away with the greenhouses and  the apocalypse pack,hell of a quick hand, I tell you. lol   
Oh and, aye I did start with a few of the customer attractions from the very start so that also might have contributed to my sales
I'm seriously having loads of fun playing this game,although I shouldn't really be playing any game just yet, but eh, its business related just as my studies so I do have a excuse of learning something out of it. wink
grryf

Follow me on twitter

2015-10-11 19:52:40

I had an idea for an "items" file that might be fun and unique.  So if I wanted to share it, could I use popular brand names in creating the items or not?  This is in regards to copyright law, etc.  I've seen books where a character drinks a Pepsi for example, and it made me wonder if brand names can be used in general terms.

2015-10-11 20:01:34

Grryfindore, I'm glad you're enjoying the game instead of studying.  My plan to turn the blind community into a group of school drop-outs is coming along nicely.  Aprone twiddles his fingers together while muttering "good... good...".

Mirage, you should be find using any names you want.  If I officially added brand name items to a commercial game it could be an issue, but anything you guys add would be considered an unofficial mod at best.  That means you can use anything and no one could ever complain.  It would be just like how people can make star wars themed mods for games and not have any copyright issues to deal with.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-10-11 20:32:28

so I just encountered the same save item morphing bug. I saved my game on February third. All of the purchasable items for all isles morphed into the following:

Buy 20 Remote control car for $313.60 ($15.68 each).  There are 90 available.  Press plus or minus to order a different amount.  Press Backspace to have your market research team investigate this item for you.

The saved game is here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5011992/game1

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2015-10-11 20:55:35

Thanks Stewie.

New version is posted that should solve the bug.  I also made a few AI changes for the Normal and Hard difficulty settings.  Who knew there were so many business tycoons floating around this community... I have to let the computers start with a head start on those difficulties just so you guys don't stomp their faces into the mud so quickly.  ROFL!

Changes from 0.9b to 0.9c

- Fixed a bug that was causing the warehouse to only show 1 item.
- Normal and Hard mode now start the computer AI players out with a larger store than you.  They may also start out with a random store extra.  Basically everyone seems to be kicking the crap out of the current AI opponents so I wanted to make them a bit more of a challenge on the Normal and Hard difficulties.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-10-12 00:42:35

What if . . . a perfectly normal-looking UMart sold magical items?
The file I am making has items from everywhere in the fictional universe of magic and science fiction, plus whatever is in my own head.  Harry Potter, Scooby Doo, mythical creatures, time travel, "Night Circus" concept items, anything could show up at my store.  Wands, time machines, unique pets, mythical food and beverage, appliances that are more than they first appear to be,it's all there.

I just started working on my file, but I wanted to share the concept.  I can't be the only one who, as a kid, wished to go into a regular shop and find something magical.  If you have an interesting idea for an items file, please share.  I'd love to read about it.

2015-10-12 01:33:26

Ha ha, I love it Mirage!  Magical items never occurred to me!  big_smile  +1 to you.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-10-12 02:20:21

Hey Aprone, any chance of making the game multiplayer connected so that we could compete against others instead of just the AI?

2015-10-12 02:29:36

I'm not entirely sure how multiplayer would work for this type of game.  It's tricky because people pause and unpause the game at their own pace, but for multiplayer to work you'd need to keep people on the same game day.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-10-12 09:57:46

Hello. While all the present bugs were solved, in 0.9C, there's still one which needs to be solved: If a rival store was already bankrupt, it will show as a present store and will be bankrupt again when you unpause the game. That said, the sound award.wav will be played too many times in the same day, and all the bankrupt store owners will be declared bankrupt again once you load your save and unpause it.

2015-10-12 14:50:19

Nice catch Roro.  I'm adding that to my list of things to fix.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-10-12 23:27:19

Hello,
@aprone: I'd love the ability to load in custom lists only. I'm wondering though, how do you pick which lists the game uses, or will it just pick randomly at the start of each game?

2015-10-13 01:13:22

The game will load in all 99 of your lists (if you have that many) at the start of the game.  It will choose 28 items to start everyone out with in the warehouse, and then as the game progresses it randomly brings in more of the items from the large list it has.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-10-13 02:12:32

It would be cool to have an option that says "prefer custom list items", so that the game would only use the preloaded items if you had fewer than 28 custom list items. That would also allow you to keep your shop to a certain themed list or set of lists by renaming or moving the other items files.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!