2019-07-22 21:56:13

1. I see this game largely as extremely sandboxxy with all the side things one can choose to do. (that's not a bad thing)
2. many of those examples of female in myth are in fact quite sexist. Vampiresses and Succubie are demonizations of female sexuality, the critical thinking thing you mention as women not being as good at is true to a point, but it has been proven to be socialized rather than inherently biological or psychological so you are already putting a sexist backdrop into Aslona in how folks are educated that would cause that if you are going to use that reason. I do concede that women do function better at higher altitudes and the distribution of weight in their bodies does make them better at high altitude fighting.

In response to what you have said however, I simply respond with this. In D&D there's a reason why they unrealistically give both male and female characters equal physical stats. The reason is that if they don't,  it becomes really sucky to play a female character except for a few classes and thus you have the mechanics biased against women.

Even if we are going realistic here, the mechanics are too complex to program to have an equal footing with  male a female characters differentiated.

I also said nothing about 50% of your army being one or the other. firstly, I don't think we need to go into that amount of detail with men and women. Anyway, if we were going representative of the population it would be more 51% of the army would be women as there are actually more female births and survivals to adulthood than males, and it isn't a 50/50 chance even at conception as female births are slightly more likely, just like although it seems a 50/50 chance, American coins when flipped are more likely to land on tails than heads.

Second, I said nothing about even the named leaders, just that things like staff would be assigned genders as well when generated. For example, if you wanted to hire a jester, the 3 people that come up, all 3 of them could be men, all three could be women, or you could get a mixed bag. Also, if you wanted to  hire only women or only men, you could do so if you so chose though I don't think it ought to  do too much in terms of consequences, though perhaps you could lose popularity if you went too far in either direction. Also, you could have male or female leaders of most faction such as independent kingdoms.

But for example, with your example of women and giving birth and such to increase your population, that designates women as not only mothers, but meant for breeding, and I don't want to see that, or other things in this game.

If the game were more complex, I might be able to concede some sort of Homefront mechanics. Right now, that is effectively done via peasants, if we are to imagine your proposed gender mechanics as currently taking place under the peasant role, you've got a lot of women in a much lower position than the men, just by the tiered way units are dealt with which effectively puts women as lower-class citizens. If we had some sort of tier 2 non-combatants and tier- 3 non-combatants that were basically non-fighting knights, this would solve the problem.

Also, historically, although women did not fight frequently on the front lines, things they did in medieval sieges when defending were incredible and they did just as much as the men did.

And as for female soldiers, I don't see why they need to be differentiated in terms of any combat ability. You said they were better sharpshooters (something I'm not so sure of but will allow) and also I know that women are better at using both sides of their brains at once, effectively making their weak side (their non-dominant side) less clumsy than a man's would be. (a right-handed woman has a better left side than a right-handed man) and so on the battlefield, we can just say the female soldiers and knights use different weapons or are set up in different positions or simply that if they are melee fighters, they use the shield with more skill or are able to get by an opponent's guard  because a male soldier would use his shield in his weak hand with less adroitness than a woman would.

Also, you could simply say that Aslona and its army use some sort of European Martial arts. Europe had a martial arts tradition as rich as anywhere else but when gunpowder became the norm, most of it was lost. But a lot of martial arts is built around knowing anatomy and doesn't rely heavily on strength to the point that men and women can compete on equal footing.

This is why in Shaolin-Doh (a form of martial arts I practice) men and women compete against one another with no distinction of gender. The art is practiced in such a way that the superior upper body strength of a man and their larger size matters very little and it isn't too hard for a woman to beat a man of her own rank or even higher.  In fact, the only person in my class who consistently beats me is a woman and I'm a guy.

I'm just not so sure that the ideas you have for women in the game as to specialized roles and such are really the direction we ought to go, I'd like to hear what others think as well as well as hear more of your side of things.

2019-07-23 10:24:28

I agree on the idea of having stats or the like, so you as a ruler could get more in danger for example if you explore dark and evil places and such. That would be cool.

2019-07-23 14:13:14 (edited by Wastelander 2019-07-23 14:13:21)

Day two of the develop-a-thon, today brings 676 thousand new races, a polished entry fee system in the Blackmarket, 4 new throne room encounters, a pack of name suffixes, a bunch of jokes some bugfixes and some general alterations and changes!

**NEW RACES**

Now you can find evil wretched races and insanely tough colossal races, these two prefixes mixed with the advanced race system results in a great deal of races.

* Added a total of 676'164 new possible races (from Colossal Swamp Trolls to Wretched Antmen)
* Added 'Colossal' race prefix (9x Battlescore, Population divided by 10) (credit u/AdministrativeTreat7)
* Added 'Wretched' race prefix (+1 Battlescore, -2 Civilisation level, Evil race, Always evil leaders) (credit Ash)
* Made Wraith Races have evil leaders
* Made Vile Races have evil leaders

**BLACKMARKET ENTRY FEE POLISHED**

This system was in dire need of a rework, now it's a little more interesting and random!

* Added new Blackmarket guard hat
* Added new screen before fee paid to Blackmarket (With 4 different random intro texts)
* Added new screen for paying fee to Blackmarket
* Added new screen for not having the gold to pay for Blackmarket (with sound effects)

**THRONE ROOM ENCOUNTERS**

Another one of u/ScarsAndStripes suggestions as well as a handful more to keep the throne room
interesting!

* Added 'exploration seer' throne room encounter (3 dynamic outcomes) (credit u/ScarsAndStripes)
* Added 'drunk compliment' throne room encounter
* Added 'Sacred Trees Dispute' throne room encounter
* Added 'Guided by gods' throne room encounter

**NEW NAME SUFFIXES**

Quite a few negative battlescore suffixes in this update, my favourite new one is 'the Roguelike'

* Added new name suffix 'the Roguelike' (+29 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Rogue' (+39 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Blighter' (+3 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Dastard' (+12 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Dastardly' (+11 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Lowlife' (-4 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Varlet' (-3 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Scallywag' (-2 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Ne'er-do-well' (+3 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Scrote' (+1 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'Scote' (+1 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Meany' (+6 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Wastrel' (-5 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Charlatan' (-15 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Miscreant' (-5 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Reprobate' (-3 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'Arrowfoot' (+5 battlescore)

**I'M ONLY JOKING**

A bunch of 'funny' jokes you will now find in the throne room and from jesters, consider
Warsim like bread, I ain't loafing around letting the content go stale.

* Added new joke 'Ghost jester' (level 1 jesters)
* Added new joke 'Ghost hearing' (level 2 jesters)
* Added new joke 'Ghost breakfast' (level 1 jesters)
* Added new joke 'Lieing Ghost' (level 2 jesters)
* Added new joke 'Greet a ghost' (level 1 jesters)
* Added new joke 'Ghost tree' (level 1 jesters)
* Added new joke 'Bad wizard' (level 2 jesters)
* Added new joke 'Wizard Marriage' (level 1 jesters)
* Added new joke 'Wizard test' (level 3 jesters)
* Added new joke 'Wizard school' (level 3 jesters)
* Added new joke 'Wizard and witch' (level 1 jesters)
* Added new joke 'Jumping Goblin' (level 4 jesters)
* Added new joke 'Orcs and friends' (level 1 jesters)

**BUGFIXES**

* Fixed grammar and text bugs in Blackmarket entry cost screen
* Fixed sound skip bug when exiting laws screen
* Fixed missing line after betgold recieved in arena

**EVERYTHING ELSE**

* Added 3 new dialogues for Ogloobs Blackrow Tavern
* Added if Blackmarket leader robs the market and runs, the economy goes stagnant for 3 years
* Updated layout of bet screen in arena
* Made throne room poem for you gender neutral

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0
Itch.io Version of Warsim (0.7) - https://huw2k8.itch.io/warsim

2019-07-23 20:38:23

Hello wastelander.

Love the two little prefixes you have, and I have a couple more.

Gargantuan: similar to Colossal
Giant: know that kind of overlaps with the race name "Giants" but I think it would be cool to encounter "giant giants"
Huge
Obese
Massive
Tremendous
Prodigious
eminent: good aligned but also large (combination because of Roman Catholic use of the term but it can also simply mean large)
diminuitive
tiny
miniscule
mini
swarming: huge population
teeming: huge population
schooling: huge population
herding: large population, gentle in nature
pack: aggressive, larger population
gregarious: large population engages in non-combat diplomacy and such often.
social: when not aggressive is very active with you, when aggressive sends larger than normal contingents of warriors to you.
colonial: can randomly pick up new lands without taking them from anyone.
terraforming: same as  colonial.
polluting: ruin lands near their own or ruin their own lands, destroying them every once in a while
oily: higher wealth, polluting effect
sludgy: polluting effect
strip-mining: ruin their own lands, get wealth quickly.
siege-mining: decrease all enemies' battle scores slightly in a fight, basically because they are tunneling under defenses.
Striped: just cosmetic
polka-dot: cosmetic
speckled: cosmetic
toothy: have really big mouths and teeth.
slushy: mix of aquatic and cold environment traits.
slush might work better.
taiga: lives in cold evergreen forests.
Plateau: lives on Plateaus
Mesa: lives on Mesas
Carion: creatures are coated in carrion
filthy: creatures are eternally filthy
parasitic: creatures are parasites.
corpse-eating: self-explanatory.
treetop: lives in treetops
canopy: lives in forest canopies.
bromeliad: lives in bromiliads (large flowering plants that collect water and effectively create lakes and ponds in forest canopies.
understory: lives in the understory of forests.
clay: creatures are made of clay
athletic: creatures are slightly stronger
scholarly: higher civilization level.
scrawny: weaker than normal
clumsy: chance of creatures hitting or killing themselves in a battle. or failing that, lower battle score
perceptive: creatures have a clear view of how strong you are and make fewer tactical errors such as attacking you with an army that is much too small to take one of your lands.
academic: have libraries and much higher civilization than normal.
teaching: have high civilization level and gradually increase the civ levels of other independent kingdoms.
demon-hunting: very powerful and will attack the demon horde on their own if the group is present.
angelic: good-aligned, high civ level, attack evil civilizations and have high power, will attack demon horde.
Invasive: always try to invade when attacking
Raiding: always try to raid.
battle-hungry: attack someone every year and always skirmish.
plutocratic: relationship to you and others is directly tied to relative wealth. They can only be vassalized if you are far wealthier than they are  and they are hostile to you if you are relatively poor compared to them.
Caste: this group keeps a set proportion of units across tiers that never changes, if too much of one variety is taken out, others are automatically shifted. They recruit only rarely when their army gets too small.

Wow! many more options than I thought of before writing this post. Hope some of them are good.

2019-07-24 13:31:25

Just want to say I have been reading and noting down your ideas and discussions guys, just super busy at the moment with the marathon and life smile thanks for all the great ideas though

Day three of the develop-a-thon, today brings a brand new tavern with some interesting stuff inside it, a much more advanced and dynamic pre battle attack screen, and loads more

**THE ICE WATCH TAVERN**

Now the Ice Watch Tower ruins have something you can do in them, a punky little tavern build beside the desolate and ruined northern tower! This tavern includes a recording I made today, a mini punk song writen for warsim, let me know what you think.

* Added Ice Watch tavern to the Ruins of Ice Watch Keep
* Added 10 Ice watch tavern goer dialogues
* Added ability to speak with tavern keep (3 dialogues)
* Added ability to watch local brawl and hire the victor
* Added ability to listen to the Ice Watch song (by me)

**PREBATTLE ATTACK CHOICE SCREEN**

In Warsim the pre-battle screen is seen quite a lot, so I figured why not try to make it far more dynamic, now there are lots of new screens for various different things as well as more dynamic and random text instead of preset lines everytime!

* Added 5 alternate dialogues for general when attacking rebellion
* Added 5 alternate dialogues for general when attacking bandits
* Added 5 alternate dialogues for general when attacking krut & erak
* Added 5 alternate dialogues for general when attacking a minor bandit gang
* Added 5 alternate dialogues for general when attacking independent kingdoms
* Added new screen for having no spymaster or diplomat when asking for information
* Added new screen for pre-battle without a general
* Fixed text colour of all prebattle text
* Fixed missing lines in all of pre-battle screens
* Fixed surrendering independent kingdom screen textwrap, grammar and colour issues
* Fixed burn the house down independent kingdom screen textwrap, grammar and colour issues
* Added special new screen for having no general and getting attacked

**INDEPENDENT REFUGEE EXPANSION**

The independent refugee system is used in the throne room when an independent unit comes from a foreign land, now their responses to why they have come to you are a little more varied!

* Added 'Put in a box' explanation of mistreatment
* Added 'I regret slapping the king' response to death sentence
* Added 'Not that interesting' response to why am I interesting
* Added 'Murdered before but not this one' response to murder accusation
* Fixed independent refugee system grammar issues

**NEW NAME SUFFIXES**

Bardbarians are so cool!

* Added new name suffix 'the Swiper' (+5 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Goldswiper' (+6 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Skullswitcher' (+39 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Switcher' (+3 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Swooper' (+6 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Bardbarian' (+35 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Battlebard' (+16 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Tourist' (+1 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the False-Promiser' (-15 battlescore)

**BUGFIXES**

Most of these bugfixes are from the diplomacy screen, after having a look through it wasn't up to scratch, now it's been reworked to be a lot more clean!

* Fixed music not being checked for sound block with wild skalds band
* Fixed attack being skipped if you look at extra information on independent kingdoms (credit Cablenexus)
* Fixed witch name file being bugged
* Fixed text colour of adventurers screen
* Fixed slave revolt diplomacy screen text colour and grammar issue
* Fixed deserters diplomacy screen text colour and grammar issue
* Fixed pest group diplomacy screen text colour issue
* Fixed Demon diplomacy screen text colour issue
* Fixed refugee camp diplomacy text colour and grammar issue
* Fixed void army diplomacy text colour issue
* Fixed Baiaa vampire diplomacy text colour issue
* Fixed wild vampire diplomacy text colour issue

**EVERYTHING ELSE**

* Slightly reworked refugee camp diplomacy screen layout
* Slightly reworked pest group diplomacy screen layout
* Slightly reworked deserter diplomacy screen layout
* Added new text to adventurers screen
* Added 6 new minotaur names
* Added 5 new gnoll names
* Added 7 new witch names

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0

2019-07-24 18:33:33

you've been doing crazy-updates lately kick butt wastelander and way to go!

2019-07-24 20:59:59

I like the new dialogs in  the battle screen, your right that was getting stale.
And new names are always good!

2019-07-25 13:27:54

Day four of the develop-a-thon, today brings a feature I'm in love with, the custom champion creator! This is no joke either, this is real full blown customisation of your own heroes

**CUSTOM CHAMPION CREATOR**

This was a suggestion by a real life friend of mine who plays warsim, something I can't believe I haven't thought of yet, it allows you to create a custom hero, you can draw/generate or build their face, choose their battlescore, name and origin and then add them to your game, this allows for completely personal champions!

* Added cheat code '6001' opens custom champion creator (credit Dylan)

**LAUNCHING ATTACK PREP IMPROVED**

Finally this pre-attack stuff is updated to fit with the rest of the games design, I've also made the text a little more dynamic and fixed some bugs with it!

* Added new screen for attacking without a general
* Added 3 new generals dialogues for launching a skirmish
* Added 3 new generals dialogues for launching a raid
* Added 3 new generals dialogues for launching an invasion
* Fixed spymaster before battle textwrap, grammar and misreference of title
* Fixed text colour issue of general text before attacking

**BAIAA POLISHED**

Passed through Baiaa and realized lots of it was in need of some good polish, so here we are!

* Fixed Baiaa maze gnomes broken intro dialogues
* Fixed old forgetful vampire text bugs
* Added new screen for demon painting in Blacktower maze
* Added new screen for red gate room in Blacktower maze
* Updated colour of all books in Blacktower Maze
* Added new screen and graphic for picking up coin from floor (in Blacktower maze)
* Updated cup game winning texts
* Fixed issues with Baiaa Blacktower maze
* Fixed Baiaa grammar bug in intro text
* Fixed Baiaa text colour in cup game
* Fixed reference to king instead of relevant title when entering baiaa as explorer
* Fixed mislabelled coin pickup option in Baiaa blacktower maze
* Updated description for two decorated door room in Baiaa maze (and updated option tags)

**NEW FACES**

Now we have a billion possible vampires!

* Added 345'071'232 new vampire faces (was 744 million, now 1 billion)

**NEW NAME SUFFIXES**

Tons of new possible champion prefixes this time, the Best is 'the Champion of Blood' with +72 battlescore which is obscene

* Added new name suffix 'the Lout' (-3 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Bigot' (-10 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Beast-Tamer' (+15 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Beast-Eater' (+49 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Winged' (+5 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Goldwinged' (+10 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Bladeswinger' (+16 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Spearswinger' (+17 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Champion of Dunes' (+45 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Champion of Hearts' (+50 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Champion of Hands' (+56 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Champion of Bones' (+59 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Champion of Blood' (+72 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Champion of the Hills' (+20 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Champion of Mountains' (+68 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Champion of the Depths' (+69 battlescore)

**NEW UNITS**

Haven't added any of these for a while, these are units that can be spawned for groups like mercenary companies

* Added new unit type 'Twiglancer'
* Added new unit type 'Polelancer'
* Added new unit type 'Pikelancer'
* Added new unit type 'Swordchief'
* Added new unit type 'Bowchief'

**BUGFIXES**

* Fixed missing line for brawls without a graphic
* Fixed duplicate parts in vampire face generator

**EVERYTHING ELSE**

A bunch of new stuff mostly dialogues!

* Added 5 Ice Watch tavern dialogues
* Added 5 goblinwood tavern dialogues
* Added 3 new crowns to the game
* Added 5 dialogues to rihhm village
* Added new advice joke to advice pool
* Chanced press space bar to skip text to say hold spacebar to skip (credit Dylan)

2019-07-26 15:32:42

Day five of the develop-a-thon! we're still going, today is a big bunch of fixes thanks to a megalist of bugfinds from defender @audiogames.net as well as a bunch of new races and some blackmarket improvements!

**NEW RACES**

Bookrage sent me a huge list of ideas for races so we've now got 1'776'192 new races because of them

* Added new race prefix 'Taiga' (credit bookrage)
* Added new race prefix 'Toothy' +1 battlescore, double teeth (credit bookrage)
* Added new race prefix 'Treetop' (credit bookrage)
* Added new race prefix 'Academic' +4 civ level, +academy (credit bookrage)

**NEW NAME SUFFIXES**

As I write this I'm hungover so those bottom two suffixes are personal

* Added new name suffix 'the Headstrong' (+39 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Hard-Head' (+16 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Painter' (+3 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Fleshpainter' (+37 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Corpsemaker' (+36 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Corpsetwister' (+41 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Corpsegrinder' (+42 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Corpsemangler' (+41 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Corpse-Eater' (+15 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Hungover' (-10 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Hammered' (-10 battlescore)

**BLACKMARKET IMPROVEMENTS**

Another little pile of Blackmarket improvements including the logical response to being charged a toll!

* Added new graphic and layout of blackmarket garrison inquest screen
* Added ability to ask 'Who dares charge TITLE YOURNAME a toll' (with answer from a startled guard)
* Fixed blackmarket guard face changing everytime he turns you away for having not enough gold
* Varied the blackmarket small shack text (credit defender)
* Reworked sewer bluetrii patch screen (credit defender)

**BUGFIXES**

You should seriously see the list of bugged text defender had! still got way more to work through smile

* Fixed Races of kingdom 3 having trouble with two and three headed races
* Fixed pointless line in the face drawing tool of the hero creator
* Fixed race system intro text saying 'over 300 thousand races' instead of 'over 73 million races' (hadn't update the text since the recent boom of the race generation system)
* Fixed missing 'are' in black opal blackmarket ship description (Credit defender)
* Fixed Ox head tavern text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed age of the sewer folk text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed cant feel my eyes text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed head my warning text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed i am glad I'm a mutant text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed what are you looking at normie text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed extra 'a' in blackmarket herald office description (credit defender)
* Fixed black alley text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed blackmarket sewer door description (credit defender)
* Fixed there is darkness is everything text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed goblin tour text bugs (credit defender)
* Fixed foreign messenger bringing gold coin's face bypassing ascii filter (credit defender)
* Fixed sharpest dagger blackmarket description bug (credit defender)
* Fixed blessing booth critic text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed wolf thorenson critic text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed blackrow tavern dialogue text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed gallows description text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed slums eswin dialogue text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed blackmarket slum pit text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed stall worker text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed lots of districts text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed musicians guild wulf text (credit defender)

**EVERYTHING ELSE**

A handful of little improvements and changes!

* Altered 'known knight' to 'well-known knight' in throne room (credit defender)
* Added 'old mine guards' mercenary group origin
* Added 'bitter war' mercenary group origin
* Added a new helm part to helmet generator

2019-07-27 14:42:05

Day six of the Develop-a-thon, the end is almost near! Thank god too because this is getting hard, today's update contains a bunch of work done on Chelob, more bugfixes from defender, some new name suffixes, 100k new helmets in game and a bunch of other tweaks and smaller features.

**CHELOB REVISITED**

I passed by Chelob's Well to fix a reported text bug and realized the whole place was in need of a rework, now there are sounds (thanks to defenders suggestion) as well as an aftermath for good old Chelob if you can answer his riddles.

* Added special new hut in Goblinwood if you win chelobs riddles (he'll move there)
* Added ability to speak to Chelob in Goblinwood (8 dialogues)
* Updated chelobs victory screen description
* Added sound effect to getting chelob question right (credit defender)
* Added sound effect to getting chelob question wrong (credit defender)
* Added sound effect for winning chelobs riddles
* Fixed Chelobs text colour turning green like his skin
* Fixed missing lines in chelobs well
* Fixed hint on second question not appearing if ascii disabled

**HOLD YOUR HELMS**

You'll never see them all, you probably won't even see 10 of them, so here's a

* Expanded the helmet system (106'752 new helmets added to the game)

**NAME SUFFIXES**

More name suffixes to keep things fresh, can't believe I didn't already have the Scavenger!

* Added new name suffix 'the Scavenger' (+30 battlscore) (credit /u/animalsbite)
* Added new name suffix 'the Vault-Raider' (+36 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Door-Watcher' (+6 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Vapourman' (+9 battlescore) (credit /u/animalsbite)
* Added new name suffix 'the Positive' (+10 battlescore) (can be mixed to make 50+ other suffixes)
* Added new name suffix 'the Negative' (-10 battlescore) (can be mixed to make 50+ other suffixes)
* Added new name suffix 'the Mask' (+10 battlescore) (can be mixed to make 50+ other suffixes)
* Added new name suffix 'the Mask-Hater' (+3 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'One-Eye' (+14 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Eye-Gouger' (+34 battlescore)

**BUGFIXES**

Another heap of text bugs reported mostly by Defender and his gigantic list!

* Fixed goblin slaver dialogue bug (credit 71)
* Fixed mr yaeba intro dialogue (credit /u/animalsbite)
* Fixed old cabin description bug
* Fixed pitside tavern text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed savegame rejection text wordwrap issue
* Fixed champion title text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed some goblins tale text bugs (credit defender)
* Fixed Naga race description (credit defender)
* Fixed 4 scorpion pit patron dialogue text errors (credit defender)
* Fixed the grand galleon text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed skull key description bug (credit defender)
* Fixed blackmarket mushroom stall bug (credit defender)
* Fixed 3 artifact market dialogue bugs (credit defender)
* Fixed textwrap when speaking to brawl pit master
* Fixed independent celebration support text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed blackmarket guildrow text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed slumfolk trustiness text bug  (credit defender)
* Fixed train pit fight text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed billowing text bug (credit defender)
* Fixed evil wizard blackmarket dialogue bug (credit defender)
* Fixed each other text bug (credit defender)

**EVERYTHING ELSE**

* Rewrote ancient rubble text description (credit defender)
* Added new cheat code (22) to monster fight pit (adds 100 new monster challengers)
* Rewrote artifact market dialogue
* Reduced mining sound volume (credit defender)
* Added 5 new artifact market dialogues
* Rewrote guildrow dialogue
* Rewrote theives casing guildrow dialogue

2019-07-27 23:56:21

Yaaaaye!  Thanks for fixing so many text bugs!
I think your crazy for taking this challenge on, but I'm not going to say I'm not glad you did LOL.

2019-07-28 12:01:01

Honestly defender, I just want to thank you for your massive list of bugfinds, you've laid them out in a way that's fairly easy for me to fix them by directly quoting the text I can search for to go straight there, I've been able to fix more text bugs than I was aware even existed thanks to you!

I think this won't be the last Develop-a-thon smile

2019-07-28 14:57:26

Day seven of the develop-a-thon, this is it, it's finally over! this one includes a bunch of new content including 18 billion giant faces, and some blackmarket improvements

**18 BILLION NEW GIANTS**

More than 2 giants per person added this update, just saying!

* Added 18'869'184'000 new giants faces (was 17 billion, now 36 billion)

**SLIGHT REWORK OF INDEPENDENT KINGDOM DIPLOMACY SCREEN**

I had never noticed before just how bad this screens text and layout was, now it's been reworked a bit!

* Added new text introduction to the independent kingdom screen
* Added diplomats face to the introduction screen
* Reworked the layout of the intro screen

**NAME SUFFIXES**

Lots of new suffixes and hero names for your world!

* Made 10 suffixes more dynamic
* Added new name suffix 'the Twisted' (+5 battlescore) (can be mixed to make 50+ other suffixes)
* Added new name suffix 'the Earcutter' (+11 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Toecutter' (+19 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'Bloodaxe' (+36 battlescore) (credit u/RabidRab)
* Added new name suffix 'Boneaxe' (+30 battlescore) (credit u/RabidRab)
* Added new name suffix 'Skullaxe' (+40 battlescore) (credit u/RabidRab)
* Added new name suffix 'Half-Axe' (+10 battlescore) (credit u/RabidRab)
* Added new name suffix 'Hardaxe' (+15 battlescore) (credit u/RabidRab)
* Added new name suffix 'Stoneaxe' (+12 battlescore) (credit u/RabidRab)
* Added new name suffix 'Longaxe' (+17 battlescore) (credit u/RabidRab)
* Added new name suffix 'the Axe-Wielder' (+20 battlescore) (credit u/RabidRab)
* Added new name suffix 'the Axe Tosser' (+32 battlescore) (credit u/RabidRab)
* Added new name suffix 'the Axe-Swinger' (+21 battlescore) (credit u/RabidRab)
* Added new name suffix 'the Axe' (+39 battlescore) (credit u/RabidRab) (can be mixed to make 50+ other suffixes)

**BLACKMARKET SLAVERS POST IMPROVED**

The slavers post was added a while back but it was lacking, now it's been reworked and is far more up to scratch with the rest of the game!

* Added new dynamic screen for hiring slaves (including 5 dynamic graphics)
* Rewrote hiring slaves text
* Added skug the post owners face to the hire screen
* Fixed slave fight freedom text bug
* Added new screen for not having enough gold to hire slaves
* Added new screen for asking to hire more slaves than there are

**HERO ORIGINS**

Lots of new origin stories for champions

* Added 'Smuggler' hero origin story
* Added 'Mine and mine alone' hero origin story
* Added 'village guard' hero origin story
* Added 'kings guard' hero origin story
* Added 'Bashed on head' hero origin story
* Added 'Militia ambush' hero origin story
* Added 'Militia Warband' hero origin story
* Added 'Tavern Brawler' hero origin story

**BLACKMARKET ENTRY EXPANSIONS**

In one of my playthroughs I was not allowed in due to the blackmarket leader being a king-hater, I wanted to ask questions and complain so now you can!

* Added new screen for not being allowed into blackmarket with guard graphic
* Added ability to ask why you are being blocked from entry
* Added ability to demand entry when blocked

**BUGFIXES**

More bugfixes courtesy of Defender's giant helpful list and one from Ursur

* Fixed Touching the goblinstone ruined it and spawned a camp of savages bug (credit Ursur)
* Fixed the hall of zoology (credit Defender)
* Fixed demon warder text (credit Defender)
* Fixed grammar issues in demonic encounter
* Fixed blackwall tavern dialogue text bug (credit Defender)
* Fixed Blackmarket prison text bug (credit Defender)
* Fixed Doomstone brotherhood rule six bug (credit Defender)
* Fixed Blackmarket fight pit text bug (credit Defender)
* Fixed mine talk dialogue bug (credit Defender)
* Fixed slum pit dialogue bug

**EVERYTHING ELSE**

Some new little things and tweaks!

* Added 3 new slum pit dialogues
* Rewrote Gar'gallock tavern text (credit Defender)
* Added new colonisation and destruction of goblinstone event (credit Ursur)
* Added dynamic trumpet sound to the fight pit battle of two champions (credit Defender)
* Made gold road theft event 1.5x rarer by default, 9x rarer for 90+ public opinion, 4x rarer for 70+ public op, 2x rarer for 30+ public op (credit Ursur)

**THE DEVELOP-A-THON IS OVER**
-
Thank you everyone who's been suggesting ideas, commenting, and supporting me! When I told a friend of this challenge in a pub last week I was told it would be harder than I thought, and it was! it's been a lot of work but I'm glad it's been done, some of the stuff that's come out of this weeks series of updates has definitely improved the game and I've loved the input from everyone!

This will most likely not be the last time Warsim get's a Develop-a-thon! smile

2019-07-28 19:23:59

This game has always fascinated me and so I purchased it. I have a couple of questions and a comment.

First, my comment. Wow! To the developer, you are always out here with changes to the game and I think that is really fantastic! Congrats on completing the marathon!

My questions:

1. I struggle with navigating the screen and reading it. I am using NVDA and I am unsure of whether it is the game or just my lack of knowledge in navigating screens like this, so tips and tricks would help.
2. If I have purchased the game, how do I gain access to the updates?
3. Is there a way to turn off sound if I wanted to do so?

Thank you so much. I want to join in and have as much fun as the rest of you are having.

2019-07-29 00:45:40 (edited by defender 2019-07-29 00:47:28)

@mektastic
1.  Make sure your on object review mode with NVDA page up down, then use NVDA plus left right up down home and end, with control added for other functions to navigate the text.
Also hit alt space and maximize the window every time you open the game, and consider changing your line length in your NVDA browse mode settings to 250.  Also, to get rid of the (symbol symbol symbol) when starting the game, copy and add the following character to your NVDA speech dictionary and replace it with a space or something.

2.  Assuming you bought the game off of itch.io and created an account there, the easiest way to do this is to go to the website and use the search field with the word (Aslona)
It will come up with Warsim, so click the link and it should have a heading that says you own this game, and a download link, which, annoyingly will pop up another download link but then you can get it.
The emails aren't consistent, and sometimes Huw is a bit late posting here, so the best way to make sure you know when new updates are out is to check The recent updates heading on Steam or The game's Reddit thread, which is also the best way to suggest things/report bugs.

3.  When you enter the game, hit 3, then 3 again to turn off sound.  You can also turn off ascii and animations there, which I suggest, and you can mute music and death sounds as well if you want.
In general though if you just want to turn down the music/sounds, the easiest way is to hit windows plus r, then type (SNDVOL) into the box there and hit enter.  Then find the warsim slider and lower it.

2019-07-29 00:47:23

@Maktastic, Hey buddy, welcome to the thread and thanks for support!

I love the audiogames forum and community, everyone here has been amazingly supportive and has some of the biggest contributors to the game with ideas and bugfinds and stuff.

For stuff with NVDA I'm a little inexperienced but others here I think can play it with little issue so perhaps someone else can help, If we find exposed ascii characters where they don't need to be though they can be removed so let me know!

If you have purchased the game through steam it will auto-update, if from Itch.io just pop back on and redownload it and both are kept updated in unison smile

As for the sound, you should be able to turn off sound and music in settings screen!

Thanks for posting here and getting involved, hope to see you here more! smile

2019-07-29 00:50:35 (edited by defender 2019-07-29 00:52:52)

Hey Huw, did you see the suggestion I made about a mode for removing all the extra spaces?  I think that would really help screen readers with the lines being broken up too early.
P.S.  Congrats on getting through the developathon with your sanity in tact and actually being willing to do it again in the future.
**Huw crawls exhaustedly into a hole in the ground for the next month...**

2019-07-30 14:09:55

@defender, I feel like I read them all but I don't recall one about removing spaces? sorry, could you remind me again smile

Thanks, the develop-a-thon was definitely tougher than I thought, but I loved what got churned out of that necessity!

I wish all I have to worry about was develop-a-thons though haha!

2019-07-31 01:15:34

It's the first one under the "larger suggestions" section in post 1697.

2019-07-31 01:24:54

hey, since I dont use papal or credit, if I let someone who is from another country who often use credit card or papal to buy this game for me, is that allowed? if so, what is the procedure?
Let say she agree to buy this game for me using her own credit or papal, what next?

2019-07-31 10:19:33

@defender, Cheers, just read it, when you say extra spaces what do you refer to as an example?

@ultimateBlade, shouldn't be an issue as long as it's legit their card smile

2019-07-31 19:53:24

one thing I think would be cool to flesh out the arena a bit would be to have more customized attack play-by-play.

What I mean by that is that different kinds of creatures would have some special attack and defense texts because sometimes they don't really fit. When you have an evolved wolf using weapons, a four-legged animal cracking someone on the top of the head, or spellcasting races never using magic, It breaks some of the imagination there.

Most of the typical attacks and such should remain, but here are a few suggestions to make arena battles more immersive.

1. beast races should be described biting, clawing, or otherwise using their natural weapons.
2. spellcasting races should use magical effects to defend and attack in battle.
3. large races should use more devastating-sounding attacks and defenses, for example, crush, slam, and bash should be used in things for giants, ogres, trolls, and other big races.
4. vampires should use vampire abilities in combat
5. races that are assumed to be able to fly should be described in various moves in the battle as doing so.
6. some of the non-combat stuff that happens in the battle such as shaking hands should be altered for some races to fit them better, such as goblins should scream or jabber, gnomes and elves might dance or chuckle, dwarves might take a drink or shout a clannish warcry, beasts scratch themselves or roar, and so on.

By and large, the current arena stuff doesn't need changing, just put in some extra more thematic stuff when certain creatures are fighting.

2019-08-01 00:15:01 (edited by defender 2019-08-01 00:16:48)

Unfortunately the forum won't let me post that many concurrent spaces, but it happens allot in game at the start and end of a line.
For instance, the header info when choosing the rebellion type in custom game options.

2019-08-01 17:27:37

Another little update I've done since the end of the Develop-a-thon, this one has a couple of nice features in it like the new knight 2 hero system and the new independent crown system.

**KNIGHT 2 HERO SYSTEM**

You can hire any number of heroes each turn to take up one of the five spots, but not your own tough knights, not anymore, now when you enter the list of heroes to recruit to the positions you will notice a new option. The new option allows you to bring forth a random knight of yours and declare them a champion, thanks /u/animalsbite for the suggestion!

* Added ability to turn knight to hero on recruit hero screen (needs to do a trial to be promoted)
* Added ability to give knight the trial 'Find a rock atop mount Saaroth' (hard, reward: public opinion)
* Added ability to give knight the trial 'Find a random artifact' (finds a random artifact, reward: gold value of the random artifact)
* Added ability to give knight the trial 'Brawl another hero' (reward: knight gains 5+ battlescore if he wins)
* Added ability to bypass trial for a modest public opinion loss
* Added ability to hold a ceremony (costs 100 gold) for the new champion
* Added ability to proceed without ceremony for a modest public opinion loss
* Added new knight heroes will have Aslona helmets in their face graphic
* Added new knight heroes will have a special uniquely modified origin story including their journey as a knight to a hero
* Added 5 different pre-set knight suffixes for the champions

**SLIMES**

Added a new slime creature warsim's system!

* 266'823 new slime based races available in the game! (now 75 million total races)
* Added New Race 'Slime Folk'
* Added New Race 'Slimemen'
* Added New Race 'Were-Slimes'
* Added New Race 'Evolved Slimes'
* Added New Race 'Half-Slimes'
* Added New Race 'Shapeshifting Slimes'
* Added New Race 'Exo-Slimes'
* Added New Race 'Demi-Slimes'
* Added New Race 'Slimelings'
* Added new kingdom type 'Slimedom'
* Added new creature 'Slime'

**I CAN'T FACE THESE NAME SUFFIXES**

* Added new name suffix 'the Facebreaker' (+15 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Facemelter' (+30 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Facecleaver' (+31 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Facemasher' (+32 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Facecrusher' (+33 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Facestealer' (+40 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Face-Eater' (+49 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Facecarver' (+31 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Fleshsculptor' (+39 battlescore) (credit Defender)

**HERO ORIGIN STORIES**

After adding the new knight to hero system which uses hero origin stories I thought adding another big burst of them would be good!

* Added 'Used Wolf-hide coat seller' hero origin story
* Added 'still an adventurer' hero origin story
* Added 'Grandparents farm' hero origin story
* Added 'Slave friend' hero origin story
* Added 'Assaulted Recruiter' hero origin story
* Added 'Village kid tournament' hero origin story
* Added 'wouldnt you like to know' hero origin story
* Added 'caravan guard scrappy' hero origin story
* Added 'boring village guard life' hero origin story
* Added 'Village guard burned village' hero origin story

**QUIT CROWNING AROUND**

I was playing around in the game the otherday and saw the sorry state of the crowns screen, it seemed more like an afterthought than anything interesting, I've updated the screen to vary depending on the personality of the kingdoms leader with each description and screen being more interesting than the solo default one that existed before

* Rewrote classic viewing crown screen (now used for friendly and neutral leaders)
* Fixed crown screen bypassing ascii filter
* Added new screen for mercantile leaders crown (pay to see it)
* Added new screen for strange leaders crown (stored in dung)
* Added new screen for stupid leaders crown (on the ground)
* Added new feature for hostile leaders (not letting you view crown at all)
* Fixed crown screen text colour not being white

**TALK TO ME**

A bunch more dialogues to keep things interesting!

* Added 3 scorpion pit dialogues
* Added 3 artifact market dialogues
* Added 3 mining dialogues
* Added 3 slum pit dialogues
* Added 3 generic blackmarket dialogues
* Added 3 Ice Watch Tavern dialogues
* Added 3 generic goblinwood tavern dialogues

**BUGFIXES**

* Fixed extra word bug in one of the under attack dialogues in prebattle
* Fixed Gorge race prefix game breaking bug
* Fixed dog kicking encounter text bug (credit Defender)
* Fixed declaring new date text bug (credit Defender)
* Fixed declaring new date intro text bug (credit Defender)
* Fixed ascii filter not working for wheel of wealth in the Blackmarket (credit Defender)
* Fixed kingdom menu issue for ascii free version screen reading (credit Defender)
* Fixed numerous text bugs in history guild speaking to teachers (credit Defender)
* Fixed independent kingdom messenger throne room encounter text spacing bug
* Fixed missing gold gain notification in some throne room gold gift encounters
* Fixed missing line and bad layout in destroying slavers fort text
* Fixed fort northwatch description screen textwrap bug

**EVERYTHING ELSE**

* Rewrote destroying slavers fort text
* Reworked all exploration text for ascii disabled version of warsim (credit Defender)

2019-08-01 23:30:52

hello, glad to see slimes, but I don't think they should have been given the treatement that the beast races get, they aren't quite animals and therefore I'm not sure creatures like that need to line up with the races that way.

Also, just wondering, slime is a prefix as well as I had some slime evolved beetles once. So can we have slime wereslimes?"

just wondering if that is possible, think it would be pretty funny if it was.