2018-05-07 04:57:56 (edited by defender 2018-05-07 06:53:25)

Okay Huw, I'll lay off you about the females thing for a while, I can be patient... :-)
I respect that you have a backlog already and I don't want to make you tired of hearing about it before you even get to it, because I know it's already going to be a headache as it is.

Also, thanks for the update!
The tons of new human faces are cool, though I don't know how I feel about certain throne room encounters only happening at higher difficulties, if I'm understanding you right?
The blue apples are amusing too ROFL
These mining encounters should be interesting, plus all these great new adventurer encounters (that system is really becoming a major part of the game now)...
Thanks for balancing the suffixes, it'll be more interesting now I think, kinda like betting on fights in The Wastes, but without as much variability do to the insane creature combos.
I hope some of Bookrage's suffixes can be added in the next update, I really liked allot of them!

Speaking of those, the ones like "sixfingers" and "the many armed" gave me an idea.
It'd be cool if you could recruit or possibly enslave the mutants to fight in your arena, possibly dependent on what type of king you are?
Which leads me to think that "mutant king" would be an interesting option for the player... :-D

Oh by the way it seems like you forgot to add 495 to the cheatslist.

2018-05-07 11:03:43

@KenshiraTheTrinity, Thank you for supporting warsim smile and it's not the first time I've had the volume complaint so I'll have a look but the issue is that coming from the console any sound played counts as a system sound, the only way I'm aware of lowering the volume also lowers or ups your normal windows sounds too which I think would turn a lot of people away, I'll have another try soon though and see if I can figure something out

As for the sound effects, it would be a nice little addition smile

Hope you enjoy the game and thanks again for the support

@Defender, I'm glad you remind me of things like this though, I have recently been purging my backlog, I had 4000 things on a to-do list for warsim and currently it stands at 2600, I have been removing things that have already been done, clearing things that are no longer needed and adding as many as I can, a lot of those changes in the last update were stuff I found nested deep in the to-do list that I thought might be worth implementing

Going to continue clearing through it until it's a manageable list of stuff, and then will be looking and finally completing all unfinished and in-need of rework parts of the game

And no I haven't explained it well enough in the changelogs but your throne room can be upgraded, the different levels of throne room just affect your visitors and a few little things

- Cramped throne room (only in insane mode If I recall) (4x less visitors than usual)
- Little Throne room (2x less visitors than usual)(can arrange meetings)
- Throne room (normal)(can hire a steward)
- Large throne room (2x more visitors than usual)
- Grand throne room (3x more visitors than usual)
- Godly throne room (4x more visitors than usual)

Also planning to add entertainers soon which will be unlocked at large throne room and expanded at the grand one

As for the suffixes its no problem it was a fantastic suggestion and I think I will try and keep it even now if I add any more names, adding to the pool of cursed and negative ones.

Yeah bookrage's suggestions were great, will be noting some of them down

Hahaha, that's an interesting idea, I have some plans for mutants going foward smile

Actually the cheatlist is really outdated, I'll put all the new ones on there in the next update, cheers for the reminder

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0
Itch.io Version of Warsim (0.7) - https://huw2k8.itch.io/warsim

2018-05-07 12:40:19 (edited by Niklas 2018-05-07 12:53:57)

I hope the Sound effects System can be worked on further as well, since I am waiting for it too. That would be realy cool and athmospheric but that was one of Huf's plans anyway if I remember correctly. I imagine Monsters fighting with added Sound effects to it could be epic. And I like the plan with the Entertainers a lot as well.

2018-05-07 14:46:34

thanks for the awesome new update, glad to see that you're working on the game so much and that this game is so lively.

Just a question though. It is still labeled as "Beta." At what point will you say it is no longer in the "beta" stage? Just what will your landmark be.

also, I remembered some of the suggestions I lost track of in my last bit of suggestions.

Among other races, wizards and other spellcasters count as other races proper. For example auramancers are a race. I was thinking you could expand the race options by making other races more than just spellcasting classes.

For example, Along with things like wizards, orclings, harpies, megoggs, and bookeymen, you could also have thieves, ninjas, firedancers, Samurai, cavemen, hoplites, steelclads, ironclads, and so forth. It just seems weird to give wizards a go as a separate race and not stuff that are effectively other classes. Of course some of those might make better units for mercenary companies or what have you, but they might fit as both or split it up a bit.

I've played games with the goblin nations but also been in a situation where I not only had the goblin tribes and the goblin nations, but one of my neighbors was also a goblin group in the independent kingdoms.

Also, do the prefixes that are attached to races have any effect whatsoever on the stats of the race in question. For example, does a "spectral" prefix on a goblin affect it in any way?

2018-05-07 17:32:25

What I like are the lessons in the historical guild as well. I think there are more years planed if I remember correctly. Such schools in other guilds would be cool, too as well as more guilds.

2018-05-07 19:05:22

@Bookrage, actually you make a very valid point about the magic user style races, they are literally just classes, I was trying to puff up the races in my game and justified them being a standalone race despite using human faces and being literally identical, I think I will be removing them soon and finding a new use for them

As for the beta situation, it's currently in development, once all of the major development goals are cleared I shall consider the game finished but will likely still support it, there's a whole lot left to do before that time comes

As for prefixes, yes, each of them mean vastly different things, for example

Reaver Orcs, Raiding Gnomes, Bandit Tritons, they will rob people just like bandits
Sentinel Elves will guard a secret treasure
Deatheater Halflings with gain strength each time they kill
Resurecting Zombies will sometimes come back to life
Hermit Dwarves will likely be very poor
Mad Demons will declare war and peace at random
Harmless Ents will be very weak
Invisible Gnomes will be invisible
Invincible Giants will be very very strong
Void Snotlings will summon creatures from the void
Free Elves will always scorn slavery
Cursed Gnolls will die out at some point during the game by their curse

And so on

@Niklas, forgot about those actually, I definitely need to finish the history guild, I was planning on mage guild classes but they will have to be much more special

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0

2018-05-07 20:57:00 (edited by defender 2018-05-08 00:46:51)

Holy shit, 2600 items... neutral
Oh so on higher difficulties you just start with a smaller throne room but you can still upgrade it to the max over time?
I didn't know we were missing cheats, I compared it to my own list and it seemed better so I'll be very interested to see all the new ones.
Also, if you want entertainer ideas than try posts 770 and 776, plus I'm sure Bookrage can add allot to those ideas as always :-)
And please let me know when you figure out how to integrate a compression library like WMA, MP3 or .ogg and you want more music or sounds, I have been writing down all the sites that offer those free and in high quality with legally sound licenses even for commercial projects, and it's actually a surprisingly large list which is awesome!

2018-05-07 22:24:51

actually, I have a couple entertainer ideas.

but first, I hope you continue to produce content for this game every now and then even when the beta stage is over, With what you've made I can see this continuing to grow for a very long time.

also, here are a few entertainer ideas.

1. acrobat
2. storyteller
3. actor (comic)
4. actor (tragic)
5. Actor: farcical
6. Actor: historical
7. conjurer/magician (more of a stage magician, not an actual wizard.)
8. juggler
9. animal trainer
10. dancer (tribal)
11. dancer (classical)
12. Dancer (commoner)
13.  oddity show.
14. entertainer scholar (basically someone who gives entertaining but informative lectures.)
15. Entertainer Pyromancer (basically does pyrotechnics stuff.)
16. singer (classical)
17. singer (choir/chorus)
18. singer (operatic)
19. singer (common)
20. singer (duo of one of the other kinds where appropriate)
21. poet (lyric)
22. poet (epigrammatic)
23. poet (haikou)
24. poet (epic)
25. poet (limerick.)
26. illusionist (somewhere between a real wizard and a stage magician.)
27. popular alchemist (basically uses alchemy/chemistry to do neat stuff.)
28. sword dancer
29. Martial artist.
30. trick rider.
31. One-man show (has talents of multiple of the others.)
32. Puppeteer.
33. psychic entertainer
34. shop of wonder (entertainer has tons of rare items and only shows them in your kingdom while the person is there, so buy or it or it goes away.)
35. exhibitionist fighter (not part of the arena but can gamble on a one-chance shot at defeating them, champion should be extremely hard to beat.)
36. circus of the realms (performers from the independent kingdoms around you, of the different races and other entertainer types.)
37. criminal front: (disguised as another type of entertainer, these guys are swindlers and will do bad things to your kingdom if you fall for their tricks.
38. incompetent entertainer: disguised as one of the others, bad things happen if you pay for their services because they either lead to offense or actual harm to your kingdom, such as wild animals escaping from an idiotic animal tamer, or an entertaining pyromancer killing a bunch of soldiers with a misfired explosive during a performance.
39: foreign agents: another subversion of the entertainer disguised spies slip into your kingdom and do something that benefits one of your enemies with whatever they do.

Also along those lines thought of another spouse and what he or she could mean in the marriage thing I mentioned above.

The traitor: This man or woman is working for some enemy of Aslona and you will be at a distinct disadvantage if you wind up with them. He or she will foster rebellions, if we do that thing with the noble house will urge them to turn against you, or perhaps even kill you if you aren't wise to the other stuff happening quickly enough. He or she would differ from the villain type I mentioned earlier because the villain likes you while this one is actually out to get you.

Also two more related.

the slaver: The spouse is in the slave trade and will encourage the king to either impose slavery or expand it.
The slave: The person in question is a former slave, he or she will urge you to end slavery and to fight against anyone who keeps slaves.

and a couple more.

The pacifist: This one urges peaceful solutions to all problems, and gets upset when you attack someone who hasn't attacked you lately.
2. The Warmonger: This person will urge his or her spouse to use violence as a first resort to all problems. They will become unhappy if the player goes too long without attacking a foe.
3. The xenophobe: This character is okay with dealing with the obviously human forces in the world but is hostile to independent kingdoms and discourages interactions with them that are not hostile and also dislikes having units of other races in the army.
4. the (insert) hater: similar to the xenophobe and the warmonger combined, this person hates a particular race/type of organization, for example he or she might hate a certain government type, hate bandits, or dislike elves. Although they are neutral on most points, they desperately want you to take hostile action towards the object of their hatred. For example, if the person is a bandit-hater, they will want you to put in the bandit scurge, impose executions, not rehabilitate, and not make peaceful interactions with bandits, wanting you to slaughter the horde and the minor bandit groups too.

2018-05-08 05:50:26

Greetings!
@wastelander: You're most welcome. Usually similation isn't my thing, but I like warfare, exploration, strategy and a ritch lore so this one was an easy choice.
Been playing the game for hours at this point and I'm really enjoying it. I did find a bug that happened when I ended my turn without seeing to all the people at my godly throne, the game would just crash. I did use the option to update my save file since I began it before getting ersin 0.711. Not quite sure how to handle the stewards, I guess they're supposed to deal with the people for me.
If you lowered the vol of some of the music files a we bit, that would help a bit with the music issue To me at least the tale of the demons sounded quite soft in comparison to the main and 8-bit theme.
Can I put in a request for more situational music? Kind've like how wasteland was with its location specific tracks.
Anyway i think thats all for now. Thank you so much for this. Keep it up! smile

2018-05-08 08:15:16

wow, cool list of ideas for the Entertainers and the other characters. Hope a lot of These will get added.

2018-05-08 13:50:32

thanks, I've still barely scratched the surface of the game so not sure how good any of these are or what is or isn't appropriate, but glad for the compliments.

2018-05-08 20:57:35

Hello
I'm back to provide a bit more info on the throne room bug. If you have too many people to see to when you end your turn the game will crash, though I'm not sure where the threshhold lies in terms of numbers. I can say though that I was getting over 200 people per turn. Wonder if anyone else experienced this?
I understand how stewards work now. I wonder if it would be possible to tell them how to react in certain situations in the future. For example try to enlist all knights who pay their respects, do not force someone to marry another, present me with a list of rare and important decissions before the turn ends, just to name a few examples.
Personally don't mind difficulty-specific encounters if anything it will increase the game's replay value. I rememver playing a mainstream turn based strategy some years back and had so much fun through the lengthy campeign that i was happy to play it through on a higher difficulty and a better understanding to discover a new map and new endings. It was incredibly satisfying.
This is such a great game! Keep it up.

2018-05-09 00:24:58

Hey all, back with some suggestions. Am i doing something wrong, or the bandits are robbing only the goblin kingdoms and the rebels? If yes,  it'd be good if they could rob the independent kingdoms as well, or the bandit groups.

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2018-05-09 19:44:33

**MAIN STUFF**

This update has been rushed out due to the crazy crash bug with throne room
stewards but there shouldn't in theory be any more crash bugs, appologies to
anyone who had issue

The main part of this update is the addition of the slavers guild
upgrade and the new throne room entertainment system where you can hire
entertainers to come to your court

* Updated 111 cheat list (credit Defender)
* Added '211' debug codes list on the cheat menu
* Added slaver's guild and grand slaver's guild to upgrades screen
* Added Grand Trade Post upgrade (even more income from trade)
* Added new throne room entertainment system (when upgraded to large throne room) that allows you to summon various acts from 5 categories at any time for your personal entertainment

**NAME SUFFIXES**

Continuing on from before, beefing up the negative name suffixes a lot
so that things are more balanced and interesting

* Altered 6 name suffixes to have negative values instead of positive ones
* Added new name suffix 'the Weak-Hand' (-5 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Brain-Damaged' (-39 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Weak-Minded' (-10 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Sickly' (-9 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Unhealthy' (-11 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Feeble' (-19 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Puny' (-3 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Puny-Hands' (-4 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Infirm' (-23 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Shaky' (-6 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Ailing' (-17 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Incapacitated' (-45 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the inadequate' (-2 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Whisper' (+26 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Swindler' (+5 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Agoniser' (+44 battlescore)

**NEW WARRIOR TYPES**

A few new warrior types to fill your worlds a little more

* Added new warrior type 'Savage'
* Added new warrior type 'Mountaineer'
* Added new warrior type 'Hillsman'
* Added new warrior type 'Blade-Slinger'
* Added new warrior type 'Axe-Slinger'
* Added new warrior type 'Spear-Slinger'

**BUGFIXES**

I've fixed a crash bug that has been plaguing the game for the last two updates
sorry it wasn't removed sooner but now everything should be fine.

* Fixed Steward steward steward steward bug (Credit Ham Man)
* Fixed upgraded throne room graphic not used during celebration event
* Fixed gnome family options all set as 1) (credit u/Vylcount)
* Fixed Rihmm trade when destroyed (credit u/Vylcount)
* Fixed warsim steward crash bug
* Fixed throne room intro text error

**EVERYTHING ELSE**

Some inconsequential stuff here but also some pretty big stuff such as
turning knights to recruiters now happens on the recruitment screen, trade
posts are cheaper, trade caravans now generally make more money and
soldiers and knights joining you due to wage boosts are much much lower

* Added 5 new roof parts to the building generator
* Added 5 new brawl pit dialogues
* Moved turning knights to recruiters to the recruit screen
* Reworked recruitscreen a little bit
* Reduced cost of trade post to 5k
* Renamed 'Godly' throne room upgrade to 'Royal' (credit u/Vylcount)
* Added two new monster body parts (100s of new monster possibilities)
* Reworked all trade caravan values (villages earn less, independents earn more)
* Significantly Nerfed soldiers and knights joining you due to wage increases (credit u/Vylcount)

2018-05-09 20:56:34

Great turnaround time, thanks!

2018-05-09 21:30:21

great to see that,

I love how much you work on this game, just somewhere to go with negative suffixes next.

1. there are very few that cover negative values between -10 and -40. There are a couple in the low -10s and a -20 and maybe a couple -30s, but there aren't a lot.

But as they say, don't harp on a problem unless you have a solution,, so here are some negative suffixes I have thought up. Again, some of these are probably inappropriate or have been used already as I haven't done a huge amount of stuff in the game.

1. The fractured.
2. The 3-limbed.
3. The senile.
4. The absent-minded.
5. the addict.
5. The ragged.
6. the dullard.
7. The foppish
8. The unworldly.
9. the Naïve (meant to be in terms of someone who doesn't know the world well, not the term for an unscrupulous young man as they are spelled the same.)
10. The lustful
11. The slothful.
12. the over-dramatic
13. Consumed by hate.
14. the Ignorant.
15. the Ignoramous.
16. The decrepid.
17. The greenhorn.
18. wet behind the ears.
19. the sloppy.
20. the filthy.
21. The ailing.
22. The consumptive.
23. the Corrupted.
24.  The fatalist.
25. the Weak-willed.
26. The broken-willed.
27. The spiritless.
28. the Lazy.
29.  The orc-brained.
30. the scatterbrained.
31. The hated.
32. The downtrodden.
33. The Blind (blindness would be a weakness in combat, so without a qualifier I think despite being blind myself it is an appropriate weak suffix.)
34. The Deaf (see note for "The Blind.")
35. The Mute (see note for "The Blind.")
36. The numb (having no sense of touch would make fighting actually pretty hard.)
37. The Morose.
38. the Melancholic.
39. the Sorrowful.
40. The depressed.
41. The oblivious.
42. The Choloric.
43. The barely-lucid.
44. the non-lucid.
45. The Jack-of-no-trades.
46. The failure.
47. the partial failure.
48. the absolute failure.
49. the total failure.
50 the epic failure.
51. The disaster.
52. the total disaster.
53. The wobbly.
54. the off-balanced
55. The drawer of disasters.
56. The ruined.
57. the impoverished.
58. The devastated.
59. the poisoned.
60. The envenomed.
61. the parasite host.
62. The ravaged.
63. the pain-wracked.
64. the agonized.
65. dragonbait.
66. monsterfood.
67. the goblins' slave.
68. the whipping boy/girl.
69.  the troubled.
70. At death's door.
71. The fearful.
72. the coward.
73. the craven.
74. the panicked.
75. The boastful liar.

That's all I've got for now, hope any of those work for you guys and hope some of them haven't been used yet.

2018-05-09 22:36:54

Awesome!
I have a suggestion that might put some on edge, but I feel like the game is too easy without it, and maybe its already there but I don't know yet, but here it is and why. There comes a situation early on in the game where you get put into a do or die situation, but it doesn't feel as threatening because if you save before then you can just load if you fail. For that reason I propose that if one has autosave enabled, then the game should autosave when you die in the same way it does when you finish a set number of years that you determined in the beginning. If that feels too strict then you could always give the player the option to tur that off.
Just got the new update. Thanks for the fixes. Going to play it now. smile

2018-05-10 04:43:43 (edited by defender 2018-05-10 06:24:33)

Lets just be careful to not go too far the other way with suffixes though...
Ideally their would be allot of minor buffs and debuffs, and far fewer outliers.
It could get really annoying otherwise.
Unless it's chance based, in which case we could use all the names we can LOL.

2018-05-11 00:57:41

I am also excited about the ability to watch the quests the Charakters can do for you and the expeditions if they come in. Descriptions for the different quests would be cool as well, so you know what the quests are about wich take place at the moment. Both the quest expansions and the expeditions would even add more story elements into the game if they come in. That will be very interesting.

2018-05-11 10:30:21

@Kenshira, I'm not entirely sure I follow what you're saying?

@Defender, to be fair there are tons and tons and tons of positive suffixes, almost all of them, you've made me realize that I've never focused on the negative and so I'm working on bringing back a little bit of a balance

@Niklas, I have some plans on the horison with adventuring, I will be working on them hopefully in a few updates if I can clear through my backlog

2018-05-11 11:33:48

Sounds very good. I think it would be nice to be more within adventuring and it could make it more interesting if we be able to watch the Action going on. Anyway, keep it up. Even the Little updates or the ones with no specific theme make the game more interesting as well as new Areas and Locations to explore, wich I like too. The bigger it gets, the more interesting the game will be.

2018-05-11 14:44:52

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

In in my first playthrough, i stumbled upon the mystic hut and got a huge some of gold. I decided to save and try again and whenever i was fated to die I would just load my save to before it happened and repeat for a better outcome. Btw dying to the coin of fate only works in the throne room and not in the hut itself. This is my second playthrough and I'm trying hard not to do what I did before but the temptation is still there.

END OF SPOILERS!

In regards to other suggestions, I wonder if it would be possible to have the check for and download updates in the future? Also I noticed that everything 14 and above in the east don't have a name yet. Guessing all that will come in time. Lastly, it would be cool if we could build our own structures to replace the ones we destroy through conquest and to be able to give them a purpose too, like training grounds for different races in your care, outposts, arena/fight pits or maybe its own settlement with its own places to go, complete with the chance for it to be attacked by factions that don't like you.
I really like that there are all these kinds of mini games to discover. In my second playthrough i'm still learning new things which is awesome!
Hope that cleared things up a bit in regards to the do or die situation. I was being vague to avoid possible spoilers.

Best regards,
Kenshira

2018-05-12 20:59:31

It would be good if you could run the spell checker over old crolls advices after the throne room ceremony, since I am not sure on some words wich may be correct or wrong. What I found:
Old croll 3 depending on the your disposition: The can be removed
Old croll 5 He says A Grand barracks instead of grand barracks
6 He says dedcide instead of decide
8 He says Miltary in one part  and devestating instead of devastating?

The numbers are for the sections of advice you have to select.

And gorin pikener  says in the ceremony
I not one of them. The am between I and not is missing.

2018-05-13 00:50:34

Another little typo. In the time limit selection, it says choose the time you game to run for, instead of your game.

2018-05-13 14:20:11

Things like day and night cycles and changing weather conditions could make the game more interesting in terms of battles and strategy as well as in the planned things about adventuring. Maybe those could be optional, i mean the day and night cycle and changing weather. But I think such additions could affect some situations and units, especially if the combat system gets an overhaul and combats get more interesting and such.