2020-01-18 13:12:46

Items rotting would be interesting if done right. Here are my thoughts on that.

I honestly don't know how long a clay pot would last if it wasn't baked. Maybe pots could eventually crumble if not baked, and baking them would preserve them. More work if you want to keep tons of pots. I know this would frustrate people, myself included, but having to bake a pot to keep it makes sense if Sam's going for more realism.

Raw food and corpses should definitely rot and have a chance to contaminate all your food as they do. In reality, there is absolutely no way in hell you'd want to carry around a bunch of dead animals and raw meat for an extended period of time. Cooked food could rot slower than raw, and it should be possible to preserve food so it doesn't rot. That way it's more work to keep food. Salt could be gathered from salt water + fire and used on raw meat or cooked food to preserve it. Maybe the fishing village could have coolers for keeping raw stuff fresh longer.

I can't imagine someone using the same spit over and over again, so those should probably eventually get ruined and need to be thrown away. Skillets could eventually get rusty and need to be replaced, especially if they're not maintained. I'm not sure about how maintaining a skillet would work in STW, though.

I say again, a big problem is people being able to buy a lot of items they could otherwise get through playing normally. Gifts also contribute to item inflation. I mean... 12 skillets in a gift? Really? So, that may need to get looked at as well.

2020-01-18 16:01:42

It's okay that diing is much more common than it was before. But the thing is that it takes too much effort to start again from scratch. I mean, you get only a few items as default, so what's challenging in crafting everything, but literaly everything from scratch again? With this, you reached that more and more cheaters will enter the galaxy of STW, and they'll help people out with giving items and stuff. And you want to prevent cheating. Um no, that's not the direction with which you could prevent it. Do you know what would be pretty good? If everyone started with the same amount of chance, with the same abilities and possibilities.

2020-01-18 23:34:43

Save prior knowledge of layout, systems etc, every new character has the same chances to start out. Purely from a non paid perspective, they all have the same chance. It's only after money comes into the equasion, and not for accounts mind you, that differences could be observed, from being lazy and using a teleporter, to not having to die the first few times you get eaten by an animal...

<- criticview
   aka
   akilor ->
My folding at home statistics

2020-01-18 23:42:51 (edited by criticview 2020-01-18 23:46:12)

as for the whole rotting, item waisting etc... Here's where things get really complicated, because from one side, I absolutely agree that we've gone from a survival sandbox to a "show of the numbers for who collects the most" thing. But from the other side, being here for over 3 years now, i'd defenately hate to see items collected, and or traided, and so on, go to waist because of some new systems. So what if, we'd go to a system where you can keep your entire inventory, including dfc's and so on, on say that crashed ship from the story allowing you to grab a few items to help you start out, like some spair food, a bottle or two... and some pots (don't bake them and they'll get waisted) and all... You get 1 dfc allowing you to die once before losing stuff, and once dead, you lose the items gathered... The amount of items you could pick with you would be limited, and things like dead animals wouldn't even fit because they're too large, forcing you to keep them in the ship and prepare them there either as raw meet, or if you've been able to find some sault or what not, smoked meat.
If you found  a backpack of some sorts, you could put a few things you found or created in it to take back to the ship or what not, provided they aren't your starting gear or something like that (that part is where things are stuck a little)... lol. Maybe it could be a paid account thing where paid accounts get to send a bit more back to the ship or something, and mind you, that sending back is just something random, it really doesn't have to be, because then you'd be forced to start all over building stuff.

Those are just my player thaughts though, nothing being said here is going to be effective imediately, these are just thaughts like anyone and everyone posting them here.

<- criticview
   aka
   akilor ->

2020-01-19 17:13:03

The idea of having an actual backpack sounds good. But I kinda don't agree with that ship thing. it is proved that when in a game there's a place where players feel safe, they generally stick to that place, or just hang around it and I dout if anyone wants that to happen to stw. That's what I think

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2020-01-19 22:24:24

kianoosh wrote:

The idea of having an actual backpack sounds good. But I kinda don't agree with that ship thing. it is proved that when in a game there's a place where players feel safe, they generally stick to that place, or just hang around it and I dout if anyone wants that to happen to stw. That's what I think

Who said that the ship would be a safe spot. It might partially function as a kind of shelter that can not be destroyed, but it's mainly there for you to prepare yourself to survive, by allowing you to perform certain actions like say cut a dead animal into raw meat, for instance bind some branches together to make transport easyer... etc... How the game would know when the ship should throw you out, can always be thaught of to prevent people from being lazy or what not... The main idea is just to have long term players not lose everything to become a new player, but at the same time not provide an excuse not to play the game.
There could also be some differences between paid and free accountsm like hut layout, say still 100 of each item to be stored... etc...

<- criticview
   aka
   akilor ->

2020-01-20 00:10:26

It's an interesting idea. It sort of reminds me of the storage lockers on Alter Aeon. I was going to suggest that maybe this could be part of building a shelter, but then I fear it would just turn into what bases did in Redspot.

2020-01-20 01:09:47

No, if anything, it has to be something that is equal for old and new, for handyballs who complete bird like quests, but also for those who slice their hand and life to shreds because it's a cool sound... And above all, it has to be indistructable so no old people can pick on new ones, or no teams can be formed to annoy others just for the heck of it. This system would also bring the playingfield so much more level, because we'd all carry the same kind of backpack, wich would fix the pk issue because only one dfc each time rather than having several decks full of them... I'm still not sure though on how you'd be able, if you'd be able that is, to bring back spair items or items you no longer need or can't use, like since you go on the mountain, you might need warm clothes and faster or stronger weapons, but then you might not need your fishing nets and stuff to cook but only to make fire. Or, since you know you'll be going to the campground to get yourself some string, you know you'll have to cool down often, but at the same time there aren't really animals so you could leave weapons behind to make room to collect a few things.

<- criticview
   aka
   akilor ->

2020-01-20 19:00:01

Hi,
So, I might have misunderstood this, but if everyone stores their stuff in one Location (in this example, the ship) wouldn't Players try to just steal the items?
Again, I might have misunderstood you.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2020-01-21 08:55:22

Out from the discussion, I don't get what the ship is used for. That must be a quite new thing.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2020-01-21 18:04:56

criticview wrote:
kianoosh wrote:

Who said that the ship would be a safe spot. It might partially function as a kind of shelter that can not be destroyed, but it's mainly there for you to prepare yourself to survive, by allowing you to perform certain actions like say cut a dead animal into raw meat, for instance bind some branches together to make transport easyer... etc... How the game would know when the ship should throw you out, can always be thaught of to prevent people from being lazy or what not... The main idea is just to have long term players not lose everything to become a new player, but at the same time not provide an excuse not to play the game.
There could also be some differences between paid and free accountsm like hut layout, say still 100 of each item to be stored... etc...

oh that makes sense then. BTW I meant a place where players feel safer by a safe spot not a safe zone. Yet the idea is still good IMO. Although if that's going to happen, there better be a limit for the amount of items that can be stored both for payed and free accounts, only the limit amount should be different between the two.

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2020-01-22 18:22:24 (edited by amerikranian 2020-01-22 18:23:02)

See, me, I would do what swamp did. You are worried about cheaters? Very well, 15 or so dollars per year will fix your issue. Yes, you will lose players. Yes, people will complain, but in the end, they will either shell out cash or sit out, depending on their loyalty to the game. Also, most of those players do absolutely nothing on the server besides sit around and chat. By making the product paid, you will reduce the load on the server (most of the idol people will be gone) and could, potentially, downgrade because you simply won't need as much resources.
It goes without saying that, should my suggestions come into play, the online store should be immediately shut down, the differences between the free and paid accounts removed, and all the extra things (Death Free Cards and Teleporters) purged from the server. This will keep the field fair for all the users, Sam will still get income (though it will be considerably lower), and the game will naturally return to a balancing point because people will eventually die.

2020-01-22 18:29:13

Amerikranian, isn't the game paid enough already? OMG, just oMFG.

2020-01-22 19:26:46

I completely agree with americranian. I haven't played the game properly in years, really only come on once in a blue moon to see what's going on, but at this point I think making the game completely paid will eradicate most of the game's issues whilst still giving Sam a steddy income, even if it is lower than what he currently gets.

2020-01-22 21:05:44

i agree with amerikranian tooo
at least sorry cheaters, you ruined thing will go from the changelog
there will be no more lag, no more trols, no more evading bans
the income could be much less but the game really can feel like a survive the wild without those dfc and teleporters

2020-01-22 22:08:09

Well if he really does this, then he'll lose most of his player base and the ones who just can't efford it. So those rich people will stay who had thousands of items before, making the game less balanced, because they'll keep just killing eachother. There will be more drama, and of course, more people asking for money. Will it be good? Yes. For who? The moneyhungry dev who coded something once, can't even spell their native language but they are damn proud of it, and they want just more and more money. Why is it good, seriously? It was all better like 2 years ago. You felt like you're really playing, and not like now, when you must avoid several maps if you don't have long-ranged weapons, for example for lions. The game is getting to be less realistic. Although now I'll be experimenting as well, because I've got a paid account. I'll be curious to experience the difference. I just don't like this attitude, when someone codes something and after they see they can gain more and more money, they take less effort into developing, but more effort into letting people pay more and more. As I've already mentioned several posts ago, I'm really sorry for Sam, because it isn't easy to be depressed. I'm not depressed, but having problems mentally, since I can't accept myself the way I am. So it's not easy for him either. But it doesn't mean that he can do everything.

2020-01-22 22:39:34

Lol. Don't forget the gas station and gift shop constantly burning/exploding. Fires don't burn forever, and the places would either burn down or the rain might stop it. I get it's to stop people from hanging around and gathering items, but come on.

As for paying to play, that's almost as bad as pay-to--win. Not quite as bad, but almost. Having to pay to prove I'm not a cheater makes me a little frustrated.

2020-01-22 23:57:42 (edited by omer 2020-01-22 23:59:57)

meh the moment they  introduced stw store, i already knew this game is going to be f**ed for good anyways
he always hide behind of cheaters factor, yes he  might be right til a surton point but who doesnt want money making the game payed  and removing all those super natural shit can fix all the  problems

2020-01-23 07:52:20

That's the point I always make. Its supposed to be survive the wild, not live like a god in the wild. That's all this game is right now.

----------
Hmm... The truth of mysteries. I truely wonder. Don't you wonder?
The wonder of all the human life. Who are you? Do you know?
Can you face yourself? Understand who you are?

2020-01-23 18:44:14 (edited by amerikranian 2020-01-23 20:52:04)

I don't have neither time, nor the mental capacity to sort through Deathstar's posts right now, but rest assured that I will answer them here in a bit. I am just dropping in to respond to 3583, who does bring up an interesting point.
If it is making you frustrated being forced to pay to prove that you are not a cheater, more reason for not getting banned, right? You paid once and that is enough. I tell you, Swamp does it right. I totally understand the fact that some people just cannot afford spending cash on a regular bases, but this is where I draw the line. Games are a want, not a need. You do not need to play this game. This is not the only game in which you can socialize with your fellow players or amass huge amounts of items. If one refuses or is unable to spend cash on playing a game, they can choose from other products out there. Things like Alter, Cyber Assault, Clock... all contain the methods of socializing and are not pay-to-win.
Finally, for those who are complaning about the lack of updates, perhaps the reason why the game has not been expanded is because Sam has reached a problem which is really difficult to solve? I am, of course, talking about cheaters. There is even more of a reason to make the game paid. No cheaters = less worry for Sam. Less worry for Sam = more of a chance to expand the game because he could now forget about the problem and focus his mental efforts on improving everything else.

2020-01-23 20:06:26

it sounds like there are two different definitions of cheating on this thread. one from the players perspective and two from the mods and develops perspective. so some examples would be nice from where y'all are coming from and what the actual problem is cheating is not always a bad thing you can't keep people from necessarily kidding it's we're not they're breaking the game by cheating I might want to play just to find out

2020-01-23 21:29:48

Ok, so I've been experimenting, as I said.
In the game, a paid account is generally more popular. While with a free account nobody wants to give you anything, as I became paid, everyone just found me LOL
I haven't been in the village yet to figure out these premium gifts, but I'm going to do it in the near future.
Coming back after like 5 months, or maybe even a half year, the game has improved a lot regarding lag. My home internet is not a fast one, but my ping is usually 100 ms or below. I also tried it in school and I got the same experience. So congrats on this one, really. The temperature system has improved a lot as well, it's much much slower, and I'm really glad about that. And the MOTD also keeps me to hope and hope, because now, Sam finally has a few good ideas.
So yeah. I shouldn't have bashed this game that much, I see now. It still needs to improve, and be a bit changed, but now, it's waaay better.

2020-01-24 03:09:41

Right. Sorry for this taking longer than expected. Deathstar, my responses to your posts are below

Deathstar wrote:

Amerikranian, isn't the game paid enough already? OMG, just oMFG.

This just does not make any semblance of sense. You do realize that the game is already paid? I urge you to reread my post. If you are worried about the game becoming even more of a cash grabber, I assure you that, should my suggestions get implemented, people would simply have nowhere to put their money besides purchasing more time for their accounts. The store will be gone. Death free cards will be gone. All the premium items will be removed. So, how is making the game a pay-to-play makes it over your definition of "paid enough already?" Moreover, what is that definition? You do know that people shell out cash on a regular bases when it comes to this product, right? I have heard accounts of somebody spending 500 dollars on death free cards and teleporters alone. Whether these accounts are true makes no difference, point is that if one person does it, so will others. By removing the store, Sam will remove any advantages those with cash have over those who do not. That is just a side benefit, though. By making you pay to play the game, Sam is basically forcing those who seek others' misery pay 15 dollars every time they get banned, which is a plus in my book. That is why Swamp, though having some drama, does tend to keep the public channels free and clear from cheating.

Deathstar wrote:

Well if he really does this, then he'll lose most of his player base and the ones who just can't efford it.

That is a moot point and you know it. I already have showed the multitude of benefits which could be obtained should Sam decide to make his game paid. Furthermore, I once point you again to the statement I made earlier: Games are a want, not a need. There are other ones out there, though none equal this one in their controls. I am sorry, the world does not evolve around those who cannot afford a game. That is the amusing part: It is a game. An online game, but a game none the less. There are other alternatives out there.

Deathstar wrote:

So those rich people will stay who had thousands of items before, making the game less balanced, because they'll keep just killing eachother.

Wrong. Not every rich person will have 1000 items. Furthermore, if one person dies, they will die, period. Remember, the store for purchasing Death Free Cards and teleporters will be removed and all the traces of the mentioned items be wiped from the player inventories. Yes, the items will still be in circulation. However, that is like saying "The rich people will just keep gaining more money and eventually there will be nothing left." That statement within itself is ridiculous not only do to the government having checks on those types of individuals, but also do the fact that, if one kills somebody, they will use something to do the act with. So, over time, the resources will deplete and the game will return to a state of equilibrium.
Finally, though I cannot remember it for certain, but I thought you lose some items when you die. Thus, if one kills somebody, a portion of the dead person's inventory will be lost, further contributing toward reaching equal power.

Deathstar wrote:

There will be more drama, and of course, more people asking for money. Will it be good? Yes. For who? The moneyhungry dev who coded something once, can't even spell their native language but they are damn proud of it, and they want just more and more money.

Surely I am misunderstanding your meaning here. From what I see, you are criticizing Sam's grammar, something which is a big no no on this forum. Please, for your own sake, don't, especially when your own writing skills are less than stellar. Neither are mine. I make common mistakes as well. What I do not do, however, is go around and criticize others for their spelling, because I am sure that if one was bored enough, they could find grammatical errors in this post, and that is without trying.
Finally, your point about asking for money supports my earlier benefit: Any person will be forced to pay every time they cheat. If you ask for money, you are much more likely to be careful in regards to any decision you make concerning any situation it pertains to. Why? It is not your own money. Someone was kind enough to gift you with an account. Should you happen to lose it, you are not guaranteed a replacement.

Deathstar wrote:

Why is it good, seriously? It was all better like 2 years ago. You felt like you're really playing, and not like now, when you must avoid several maps if you don't have long-ranged weapons, for example for lions. The game is getting to be less realistic. Although now I'll be experimenting as well, because I've got a paid account. I'll be curious to experience the difference. I just don't like this attitude, when someone codes something and after they see they can gain more and more money, they take less effort into developing, but more effort into letting people pay more and more. As I've already mentioned several posts ago, I'm really sorry for Sam, because it isn't easy to be depressed. I'm not depressed, but having problems mentally, since I can't accept myself the way I am. So it's not easy for him either. But it doesn't mean that he can do everything.

Sam is not, doing "everything." He is not trying to get more money, believe it or not. He is trying to figure out a solution which will balance the game, but it is much harder than it sounds.
I also fail to see your point about Sam's depression making a difference. Can you point me to a post, a message, anything that is from Sam in which he blames his decisions in regards to his online projects on being depressed? If you can, I will happily respond to the rest of your post, but as of now, at least to me, it simply looks like you are trying to take another swing at Sam using any excuse you know, regardless of it's validity.

2020-01-24 03:13:13

Ok. How would you guys buying a paid account, anyway? Because you can only buy 100 credits a time.

2020-01-24 08:52:13

Socheat, purchase 15x100 credits and maths solves everything big_smile