2014-12-27 15:52:02

It also seems that the server lags horribly when there are more than like 4 AI's spawned. AI's do seem to periodically spawn randomly even without an admin around but if there isn't a player there to kill them, the AI's slowly build up and lag the server. Really, 7 AI opponents shouldn't lag the server like that.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2014-12-27 18:23:49

Yes Keyisfull, I've noticed it too. I've connected now and there were AI. Admin Lucas killed them and game doesn't lag anymore. So I think there is a bug on AI.

Thumbs up

2014-12-28 12:21:56

Hi.
I hate to say this, but the fact that the developer doesn't check this topic, don't join the game and react like he's not caring about the game anymore makes me screw this. I see no reason for joining the server anymore, since he doesn't care about the game. Why should I play a game which doesn't seem to be complete? Why should I care about a game which the developer doesn't care about or at leased answer any suggestions here on the forum? The developer just leaves the game to an administrator who's very active, helps other players and build on the map etc.
If this keeps happening from the developer that he doesn't respond to suggestions and at leased joins the game to see what's going on, I'm done buying his projects in the future.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-12-28 13:02:25

Hello SLJ, from what I saw Mason connects, you probably do not see why it connects at 5 am. Among other things he made several game updates. Currently it is free, however, requires a total donation of $ 10 per month, that is not of a person but of all, to maintain the server. The changes made are improvements, because now there are no more lags, and I always see that there is more than one player connected. This morning even 5 or 6.
Among other thing that I really like is the semi-update, in the sense that if connecting the game sees that there is a new version, it  download automatically, and then you simply have to extract the folder.

Thumbs up

2014-12-28 15:23:17 (edited by Lucas1 2014-12-28 15:26:42)

Hi, yes, mason does make changes, but tbh mason will never get 10 dollars a month, maybe for a few months but after a while, he will not get 10 bucks a month. And that admin is no longer an admin, I'm not saying who it is on here for that reason.

Thumbs up

2014-12-28 15:32:34

Yes I knew that. Sad because previous admin was very active in the game. I don't know now who is.

Thumbs up

2014-12-28 17:12:40

Okay, so I see I was wrong regarding to updates. I'm glad to hear that I was wrong regarding to this. big_smile
It just seems like Mason is not very active, because he don't reply here on the forum. I don't expect a developer to reply each day, but at leased once each week would be great. Especialy when the game is paied.
Regarding to the admin, if you're talking about the admin called Lucas in the game, then this is really really sad. He is awesome!

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2014-12-28 18:03:03

Yes it is. But I don't know who is the new admin.

Thumbs up

2014-12-28 22:21:39

I have this little message for you, Mr. Stojsic.
First of all, I'm not sure whether or not you are aware, but Mason's gone and threw a tantrom and abandened us, deciding that he will not post on here anymore. I really don't think, for this reason, that posting this topic here was a good idea. Because as was said by slj, he clearly doesn't care about this project--he's posting on things like twitter... something I don't even have. so in all actuality, I have no way to reach him.
Something else. if the server is so unstable that it lags when you get 10 people, or perhaps seven AI beings on there, that's not worth the price. If you create a game, expect people to play it, you can't have a server like that.
and yeah, a demo would be nice. and one I can get my hands on--doesn't even have to be a demo software, even a recording would be nice.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2014-12-28 22:59:33

Heh, might wanna check your sources mister steven. big_smile

2014-12-28 23:00:51

And no, btw, I didn't throw a quote tantrum quote, or abandon the game. It's alive and, from the looks of the times it has been ran, quite well.

2014-12-29 01:02:06 (edited by defender 2014-12-29 01:06:43)

ROFL, Yes you did throw a tantrom Mason, more than once, just because you don't like it doesn't make it magically untrue, that's not how the world works, that's way too convenient. big_smile

But hey, at least, as far as I can tell, your not actively saying you hate your own game any more, but, it seems like your still getting rid of good admins that are fed up of you after busting their ass's trying to help pull it together for the players on a daily basis, as you stand in the way at every turn and ignore them constantly because you don't actually want to do anything with the payed game you just launched, or has that stopped now...
Unless Lucas left on his own, in which case, good for him! it's not worth it, even to help the community.

Anyway, the actual game is pretty great, if you can get over the server outages, the drama, the arrogant and often flaky developer, the balancing issues, the disappearing admins, and all of the rest, I think it's at least worth 5 bucks for the awesome combat, pretty good sounds, unique features, and multi level platforming.  I I did make a recording, 2 actually. so here's the post with them.

http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.p … 00#p197100

Thumbs up

2014-12-29 01:15:49

ok, I'm not a moderator, but I think several of us are verging on flaming in this topic. If you don't like the game, then don't by it. Why must everything lead to negative comments and acusations?

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

Thumbs up

2014-12-29 01:47:17

Hi, no, lucas did not leave on his own, though he told me he was getting ready too because defender, I completely agree with you.

Thumbs up

2014-12-29 04:00:26 (edited by defender 2014-12-29 04:21:34)

Bryant it's because this developer doesn't know what he's doing, plain and simple.

He treats is beta team like crap, constantly gives up on his own games, starts projects only to do the same crash and burn rutine again and again, royally screwing all the people who worked on the game with him, as well as the players who ignore all the short comings time and time again, just to have some small chance at a game worth playing with a community of people that they become attached too every time, then lose when Mason gets board with his little play thing.
Weather the game is payed or not, doesn't matter to him, the server will go down for hours at a time, and he won't develop anything useful or fix any glaringly obvious issues, for weeks at a stretch, if he doesn't find it worth his time, it doesn't matter if it's full of bugs and problems, directly stolen ideas from other more popular games, or unlicensed professional sounds from those same games, even though he has a good sound designer to rely on, he'll still try to put it forward as a payed product even if he him self doesn't care about it any more, his attitude towards the audio games community is standoffish, dismissive, and arrogantly self important, and he never seems to learn from his passed mistakes, weather the critisism is respectful or not, because he seems to think that everyone is out to get him no matter what.

I thought people were being unfair, until I found out my self, I even gave him the benefit of the doubt when I joined the team, because he was having bad network problems, and seemed very depressed for a few days.
But after having my questions evaded constantly, my messages 90 percent ignored, and after basically, with out directly saying it, being told to fuck off and handle it on my own with inadiquit documentation, access to almost nothing useful even after several kiss ass attempts to gain it from the person who asked me for my help with those very things in the first place, and, after only allot of poking, prodding, waiting, and hounding that I did not! want to do and said as much.  I finally got what I needed, barely, to actually do something half way useful with this game that had clearly been launched in it's payed form far too early, for several reasons, chief among those being large imbalances between players, server issues with lag, multiple spawning, and positional updating, a map that was too small, which had a bigger zone that was never even used, ostensibly for the admins, than it did for the players, only a few active admins out of several signed on to the project, issues with cheating using problems in the map, not enough activities to gain XP, lack of adiquit try before you buy info in any form, and more.
Mason said that he was way too depressed and that his network was way too slow to change any of that fast enough, and yet, none of it was enough to stop him from launching a payed version of his game at the worst time possible for everyone involved.

I emmediatly started helping out as much as I could, learning on the fly and talking to the community, answering questions they had and trying to explain that, yes, the game was good, even despite it's problems, which it was, while Mason tried as hard as possible to prove me wrong.  I started working on the map after showing him some that I had made before, which he ignored, and teaching other admins how to do it, organizing where people could build so we wouldn't screw each other over, explaining commands that Mason never even bothered to show anyone, and then finally sharing the builder info when I eventually got it from Mason.  I also made an audio demo that I was going to add voice over too but didn't get enough time to do so before the questions started piling up too much, wrote lots of suggestions down, something that he wanted me to do, might I add,  and told Mason where to find them on more than one occasion, but they were promptly ignored.
I tried to help with sound design, but the most I got out of him was the original sounds which couldn't help me any, and some useless 1 word answers on how I could fix some of the current sounds that weren't quite as top notch, even going so far as modding one of the sounds by searching for it in a giant library, I just happened to have the right one, and showing him the result, which he ignored.

It's true that Mason was alright sometimes, even fun to talk to, but, comparitively, it wasn't worth it at all, for all the times he wasn't.

After being patient and as polite as possible while not actually feeling that way at all, seeing the server go down for hours, on a payed game, several times, even after notifying him that it had done so as soon as it had gone down and knowing he was around because I could see all his passive aggressive posts on twitter, waiting for updates to simple problems for days, doing the same for new documentation after builder changes were made, and learning that, the other admins didn't much like how Mason did things either, I seriously considered just ditching this thing.
However when the game was free, I remember having a hole lot of fun with everyone, even despite the issues, talking to cool people, playing this uniquely awesome game and getting better all the time, and I didn't want the players to lose that, so, I dealt with it, until I couldn't any more.

I tried the more hard ball approach with Mason, trying to help him help me help him, essentially, trying to get him to do things, or at least do things for me so I could do things instead of him, waiting till he seemed happier and not as upset, etc, but he started getting really mad when I did that, because how dare I ask him every 15 minutes for 2 hours to restart the server, nicely but firmly, as all the players that payed him money and builders that are giving him their free time for almost nothing in return are getting pissed at the stupidity of it all, right?
Meanwhile I am still on the forums trying to talk to people, all the while wondering if I am setting them up to be fucked over, but also knowing that the game it's self is really awesome.

It pretty much ended how you might expect, accept for that fact that he suddenly flew into a rage because, he told me, I can't do all this shit your asking me to do at school!  You made me restart the server there!  Your always pushing, well, I'd never even known that he was going to school before that point, nor when, and based on the fact that he was always playing games and tweeting durring that time, I asumed nothing was different.
I said I was sorry, but everything basically continued even when I made sure not to talk to him at that time, which, only fucked everyone over even more, since now he was doing even less, and it all culminated in him snapping, calling me all sorts of names, saying all sorts of hurtful things to try to get under my skin, and basically using me like his punching bag which, I probably should have seen coming now that I think of it, since it had happened to other friends of his, but again, I wanted to try this for the community, not for him.
I responded calmly, trying to have a conversation rather than a screaming match, but none of it worked, so, when he inevitably came into the game to take away my rank, I managed to do it before he could, and then left, maybe that was petty but, I was mad at that point, and still refraining from saying things about him that he was saying about me, which, would have fit him much better under the current conditions.
Afterwards I reminded him that I still had access to the game, because, it felt like the right thing to do, which he promptly revoked after basically saying, o, I gave you that, instead of making you pay first and then letting you be on the beta team? even though he was the one that had asked me to be on the team just before the switch from free to payed in the first place...

And that, is why we're all pissed, and especially me.  Because this particular audio games developer has so few shits to give that they're officially in the negative numbers.

I'm glad to get that off my chest, because it's been upsetting me for a while now, but I do have to say, I don't want anyone thinking, least of all Mason, that I hate him.  In fact, I wish all the best to him but, I really hope that he fix's some things before trying this yet again, or, alternatively, tries something else, and treats those who are their to help him, as well as those who are supposed to be supporting him by partaking  of the services he is offering, in the way that they deserve to be treated.

Thumbs up +2

2014-12-29 05:03:18

Sadly, I think that expecting him to be more professional about game development may be too much. This post may come across as flaming to some of the mods, but I will attempt to stay civil.
It is obvious from Twitter that Mason has clinical depression. He probably has some other mental/social issues as well, but I have not been able to spot them. Some of his behavior may be caused by genetics, but I also think that he is liing with an extremely dysfunctional family, which only makes things worse. I am not sure if they have been this way all his life or if this is just a recent occurrence for him, but either way, one's parents are seen as the stabilizing force in one's life, and if they are unstable, it completely upsets any chance of an orderly life. If arguing/unstable parents is not enough, he has clinical depression: I am pretty sure he has , several times, gone to a pschologist or psychiatrist to diagnose whatever condition he has. He often posts on twitter about hwo iving sucks, how it's not worth it because everyone hates him, etc, which is of course, not true. But his self-esteem is so low that he can't believe it.
With all this excess baggage, it is difficult for him to dredge up the effort tow ork on a game, especially if he thinks that nobody likes it and are just reporting bugs to criticize him. This is, again, not the real reason why we report bugs to him, but again, his psychology tells him so. He also takes opinions of people far too seriously. He was unable to siply laugh it off when immature people condemned him for charging for his game and called him terrible names like motherfucker and idiot; he took those comments, at least partially, personally, and that made him even less inclined to work on the game. Which combines to be a really sad state of affiairs wen you think about it because, like defender, I think the game is a really good idea and is actually probably worth $5 now if you don't factor in the conspicuous lack of customer service you get. If this were single-player with spawnable AI's and buildable maps, I'd pay $5 for it probably.
The final question is, why? Why does he develop a game that is such a thankless task? Why does he say he's going to quit developing a game and then return to it later? I think he uses game development as a sort of mental therapy; please, correct me if I am wrong. Game development is something that he is really really good at; I have listened to some of his streams where he shows himself coding and he's really good at that. He probably feels like game development is one of the few things he can actually do, and he needs a self-esteem boost a lot of the time, especially after school, which, his tweets suggest, is a huge struggle for him.
It must be an extremely difficult life waking up in the morning and having to go to school and do your utmost to learn something and know that, even with all the effort you put in, you will struggle, and probably get bad grades, and you will come home, have a load of homework to do, listen to your parents yelling and/or drinking, and people complaining to you over twitter about how the Ultra Power server lags, and how you are a motherfucker and an idiot and worse for charging $10 for a game. The only beacon of hope you have is being able to work on programming something. And if people are complaining to you about the game, you have to program something else. But you're so good at it, and you can give yourself a blissful mental distraction for at least an hour or so before life comes raging back at you.

Now, that is mason's side of the story. The community also has a lot of valid arguments. Defender did a good job of listing them above, but I'll add some points here. Mason, by charging for a game, signed up for this sort of riff-raff. In fact, making a game free and then charging for it afterwords makes the flack he gets far worse, because so many people in foreign countries were playing it and now can't because they are too young to buy it or they can't spend money in their country because of the ridiculous exchange rates. By selling something, you have to be prepared for people to tell you that it's not worth what you are charging, in the hope that you'll stop charging or at least lower the price. That's how people haggle at the market. You have to have a thick skin when you charge for things if you are unwilling to haggle/bargain with people over a price, and I know that Mason is not a haggler.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2014-12-29 05:18:04 (edited by defender 2014-12-29 05:18:49)

I agree, and I feel bad about it but, I don't just want to be a consumer, I want some choice in how the games I play turn out, I also could use something to do, and I do have some skills to bring to the table, it's why I like to sign on to these projects but to be honest, almost all the time, this is how it turns out.
I feel like kind of a jerk for making his problem worse, and then telling everyone about it, but, again, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, because it seemed unfair to judge, and I kept that ideal for as long as I could.  I didn't just want to give up on the game right as it was going down the shitter, either.

About the coding to escape aspect, yes, I agree, I've said that too, it's the exact same way for Jack on Prometheus, and he is almost worse, for sure more harmful, yet people still flock to his game.

We all do things to escape, the more stable we are emotionally, the less harmful that is, in fact it can even be healthy, but it's a huge crutch of those who aren't emotionally stable, me included, but the difference between me, and Jack or Mason, is that my escape doesn't impact large amounts of other people.

I'm not providing a service, I'm not having to interact with others daily, I'm not having my work annalized by other people, and my escape isn't nearly as unstable.

That's not true for all the things I do to escape, sound design for DMNB for instance, but I still dont' have to deal with nearly as much as the main developer of a multiplayer game.

Thumbs up

2014-12-29 05:37:24

Hi, i'll add my 2 sence. Coming from a developers standpoint, I can see where its stressful. I myself suffer from depression, its sort of eased off now, but with the neer death of my brothers cat, it does increase at times. However, I try not to take my anger out on others. I have been known to make a bit of a seen on dmnb sometimes, but that's because sometimes, some of the questions that get asked their are completely pointless. But i'm fully prepared to accept that its my falt. I knew what I was signing up for when I developed dmnb, I knew the risks, and I knew I was gonna get some harsh things said about it, which is tipicle, I can think of a few right off the top of my head i've said already over chat. So why do I do it? Because I love what i've created. I had fun building it, and though's little annoyance's you get are, well, annoyance's yes, but really, you need to have fun creating a game before you even think about developing it. That's why our reality software testing group works so well. We all understand each other, and while we have been known to get under each others skins at times, we all accept that we're just science fiction nerds, joking around, developing a game we love. As for this being payed thing? I can see where he's coming from with it, if I could right now i'd be charging for dmnb, but I don't want too because A the server still has quite a few ishues to work out, their's only 2 activities, and i'm still not sure how to provide a demo. But I do agree however, that some of the stuff with being payed was kind of forgotten, the lack of a demo, playable or recorded which defender filled, the lashing out at admins if what defender says is true which I think it is because I haven't really seen him ly at all, and in general the simpple lack of preparedness when it was made shareware in the first place. However, to be fair to though's people making comments. The instant you write though's first few lines of code for a multiplayer game, your commited. The instant you start showing it off to people, your gonna have a lot of comments, some good and some harsh. The instant you make it shareware? Your locked in and have a responcibility to take care of the users. Its no longer just what you want, its what the players want now, and its all about what the players need. If you arn't able to handle it, you shouldn't have made it shareware in the first place. And about the people calling you a motherfucker and complaining just to complain? Tone them out Though's arn't the people you want on your game, though's are the people who want to boss other people around, and be jerks all round. Don't wait your time with them, they'll grow up someday.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

Thumbs up

2014-12-29 10:31:07

Also, yes, I have taken peoples suggestions into account on dmnb, even implemented a few. Their are of course suggestions which get denyed, more offten then not do to the server itself, but we work around though's problems in anyway we can. If you take the very first early days of dmnb for exampple, the sound design was bleek at most. Just a bridge, and a weerd engine was what we had, and the bridge didn't even sound like a bridge, but i'm getting off topic here. I've played ultra power, and it seems like a cool concept. If mason could improve on the current problems indeed it would be a very cool game, it already is when people are blasting eachother away. The sound design needs a little bit of work in my opinion, but like any project, it will eventualy, if he can overcome his current problems and take intrest in ultra power again, change.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

Thumbs up

2014-12-29 10:37:59

Well, I see the situration from both sides.
Masen: We don't hate you, but please, accept at leased some of the advice from the community. Don't take things personal, because this is not ment to be personal, but rather directed to you as a developer, but not you personally.
It would be nice if you would, at leased once each week, respond to suggestions here on the forum.
You are a good, realy good coder. Damn you are making awesome games.
I just hope you will take some advice from the community, which would make life much easier. You could for example choose to only use the forum as your connection out to people as a developer, and only use Twitter for private stuff.

Best regards SLJ.

2014-12-29 12:47:17

Urm, ... OK ... wow. That's really all I can say at this point. I really had no idea that some of you thaught of me in that way. Seems I'm as bad as I really thaught.

2014-12-29 18:38:00 (edited by The Dwarfer 2014-12-29 18:45:48)

Ok, dude, really? guilt trips? Did you even read SLJ's post? or were you too focused on being victim of the year?
  You know, judging by the fact that all you get out of what we're saying is that you're a "bad" person, it seams you don't really understand what you've read. look. Here's what we're saying. All we want is for you to take some of our advice, not look at it as a flame or personal insult. not everything we say is that... you know that right?
  I'm sorry but, if you are wanting players to your game, accept their advice. I want to play a game where I can freely suggest things, and try to my best abilities to help the developer. So if you're unwilling to at least try to make this possible, I'll put my money towards an alternate cause.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2014-12-29 20:54:30

Mason: whose are these games? they are for us, we as a players, so accept our advice, your problem is that you think we have a bad thoughts about you, no, don't think like this, I don't want to say repeatedly what I always say, read my posts and the others' posts, and don't think this negative thinking, don't think selfishly, if you want successful products.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

Thumbs up

2014-12-29 22:01:43

nah, no guilt trips here. misinterpreting is bad for you

2014-12-29 22:48:30

OK, I know I've said this a few times before, but now I really mean it. All the things I'm being acused of here are in fact, true. I payed very little attention to a game in it's need of attention. I absolutely failed with my beta team. I've been a complete and utter ass. And I've been even more of one for even just now realizing it propper. I didn't realize that what I was doing came out as like that to many people, and I'm willing to try to fix it. But...I really have to know what I have to fix, in order to fix anything. So...Starting now, I'm gonna stop being an outcast as it were. I'm gonna try to fix these problems. I do have issues, yes, but I'm willing to try to fix them. Right, I've said this before, but really now I'm gonna try. Because this is really not good.