2018-08-07 10:11:57

Well I posted the update and then headed off to work, meaning I didn't get to really see everyone's reactions until now.  The first thing that jumped out at me is the food being cleared out of the forts.  That was Not intentional, so everyone has my apologies for that.

I'm sporting a headache and already having some trouble keeping my eyes open, but if possible I'm going to code up a custom tool to let me import Only fort data from yesterday's records, to put the forts back to how they were before the update cleared out the food.  I could just add food back in, but I'm sure people already took advantage of the situation and started grabbing up forts.  With how backups are stored this will be tricky, so if it doesn't happen within an hour of me posting this it means I gave up and will tackle this after some sleep.  LOL!

I've heard about the bug where the melee weapons can be swung at super high speed (for no damage though).  It's funny that I mentioned to my testers that I was worried something like that could happen after I changed around some code, but the tests before it went live didn't do that.  I just love how bugs magically show up once things go onto the main server... boy oh boy how I love that.  *Aprone grits his teeth with love*  big_smile

There have of course been complaints, but I'm shocked by how few there have been so far.  I think the biggest complaints have been coming from players who admit they are used to locking their melee weapon swing and just playing the game as if there aren't even any zombies in it.  I tease of course, but I don't think that joke falls very short of reality.  haha!

CAE, give this a try in a campaign and see if it works.  I originally tried to make it campaign compatible, but I don't believe I've ever bothered to test it.  Use this as the name of an item:
(Jones gun\\MP5)
This should give you an MP5 with a unique name.  If you want to give it special stats, you put extra text between those 2 slashes.
(Boom boom stick\(D175)(R80)(C6)(L1)\Winchester)
The (D#) part is the percentage damage.  100=normal damage for the base weapon, which is the winchester here.  The example boom boom stick will do 175% damage, which is 75% more than the regular weapon.  You can go below 100% also to make weapons do less damage per shot.
The (R#) is the percentage of the default reload time.  In this case, the gun will reload in only 80% of the regular winchester's time.  So it's a bit quicker.  If you said (R200), it would take exactly twice as long to reload it.
The (C#) is an adjustment to the maximum ammo the gun can hold.  In the example, the boom boom stick will hold 6 extra bullets beyond what the winchester usually holds.
The (L#) is the number of extra game ticks added to the weapon's firing cool down.  Adding a tick or 2 can make weapons feel more powerful.  You can also do something like (C-1) to reduce the game ticks and make something fire faster.  All of these have a chance to break the game, ROFL, so test to see if something works before you slap it into a campaign and hand it out.  I can already imagine the crazy weapon stats people will experiment with now that I've shared this info.

Anything you leave out will just be the default for the base weapon.  If you only want to adjust one thing, then only put that between the slashes.
(Fast reloader\(R25)\Browning Citori)

I'm off to dive into the code and see if I can get the forts solved before I fall asleep.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2018-08-07 13:06:35

Huh. Thanks, Aprone! The name thing appears to work just fine, so long as the item is loot (it does not seem to work with the give command, but spawning an item on top of the player is easy). It also works with armor, but the descriptions in the armor menu sound like they're separate from the name of the item, so they naturally show up with the real name.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-08-07 14:24:01

So is this for Campaign thing only?  as far as reload times and all?

2018-08-07 16:29:29

hi aprone, while I understand you introducing a staminer system for maylay, I and a fiew think its a bit harsh. so how about the more points you have in maylay the more staminer you have, at the mo, you cant kill a lot with just 4 hits before you slow down, I was thinking say every ten points you have in it you get 5 seconds of staminer, of course you could have a skill staminer so you would have to boost that for anything to happen. you cant take a break on a mission at the moment and that's very bad. other than that great work.

2018-08-07 16:38:27

there are certainly problems with this. firstly and this would affect me personally and yes this is the only aspect that would affect me personally but i have a retired guidedog. i take her to be spent every 3 or so hours. which is what you are meant to do especially if you are an owner of an older dog. so in that sense what are you supposed to do? only accept missions when you know you have lets say 90 or more minutes to spare? sometimes depending on who you are missioning with you can take a couple hours to complete 1 mission. equally there are people with medical needs who have to break as well. i'm not 1 of them but i'm sure there are a number of players who this would affect.
it wouldn't be so bad if you died and didn't lose everything if you died and that wasn't an issue then i don't think anybody would care too much. but because of this people are going to care.
i think i have a way around this though. make the afk command so that you can't be hit injured or killed whilst this command is active. but whilst the command is active you can't actively take part in any mission or receive any part of the rewards gained from mission completion. by doing this you can still have stamina whilst giving people who need the afk mode to do certain things a chance to see them done.

2018-08-07 17:27:37

CAE, at the moment that custom weapons thing isn't meant for armor, but it's interesting to hear that it sort of does work.

Pitbull, I plan on having a stamina skill that will work very similar to what you have suggested.  The patch I released actually had more content, such as new clan and fort mechanics, but I removed those for now because they were not yet working.  When the power went out for the server, it damaged code and forced me to go back to the last backup, which contained several annoying bugs I had since fixed.  To fix things I needed to rush this update out, and it was much faster to just take out unfinished parts rather than make everyone wait longer while I finished them all.  So that's one of the reasons why a stamina skill wasn't in this update along with the introduction of the stamina system.

I would suggest you handle those situations like they do in the movies.  The hero swings and swings, bashing back enemies, but occasionally pulls his gun from his side to blast several away.  It's a few moments to catch your breath, or a way to stop from being overwhelmed when the numbers get too high.  A few seconds is really all it takes for your stamina to be right back to full, and you can continue on with your melee weapon.  Special care actually went into letting players do this easily, since weapon switch times were modified for melee weapons making sure you can switch to a gun fast.

Darren, I think my short answer would be yes, but with some alternatives.  In the vast majority of multiplayer games, there is no pause or special AFK mode where you're invincible anywhere you happen to be on a battlefield.  Choosing to go on a mission does mean you should have the time to do it.  You don't sit down to play chess with a friend if you know you'll be leaving the house in 5 minutes.  Perhaps you play a game that's shorter instead.  In Swamp, you actually set the number of crates and zombies, so you don't have to be walking into a 90 minute mission each time.  You also have the ability to retreat from missions and take the rewards with you that you've earned so far, so in an unexpected emergency you can still leave the mission.

In Swamp you have the ability to choose precisely when you will do a mission, set how long it will take to complete, and you can leave it early if you need to.  I would say the game is bending backwards for the players more than most (at least mainstream games anyway).

I understand what you're saying with the AFK command.  You'd like a way for new players to wander around watching a hard mission take place, without really being there.  Almost like ghostly spectators that aren't in danger and also don't get any rewards.

It's a neat idea for some things, but in general I wouldn't want this.  For starters it would let more people scout for the crates without actually putting anyone in danger doing it.  New players who just need to learn the maps can load up any of the warehouses in single player and practice all day long if they like.  When they finally want enemies they can add zombies and even ramp up the amount as they desire.  For players who really just want to hear the exciting 200 crate death bringer missions, that's what recordings are for.  I just don't see justification for the new and changed code, for the times when new players want to watch a mission in complete safety.  If I'm missing something though, I'm open to listening.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-08-07 17:40:24

hi aprone,

no not at all. the afk command wouldn't allow you to do anything. move or anything. if you could move then the afk could be used as a method of cheating so you could scout for crates. that's not fair at all. i'm saying that purely the afk should be used for those times when people do need to come away from the keyboard. to spend a dog or for medical needs.

so whilst you are in afk the only thing you can do is to use the command console. as in the / to get you into the command. so ok you could chat i suppose that's not a real cheating thing or come out of afk which would effectively unlock your char again. putting you right back in the action. so none of this lets go into afk reload all weapons etc then come out again with no risk.

2018-08-07 17:42:03

also aprone if you're going to add a stamina skill then i think we need more skill points because as it stands at the moment there are a lot of skills but only a finite amount of skill points that people can use. so i do think that the amount of skill points as in the max amount needs to be increased if there is going to be a level cap like there is at present.

2018-08-07 19:34:14

ah good good, I new you had a cunning plan. another gripe and that is I was on a chem earlier with bullseye and had to retreat as I couldn't move fast enough every time I got hit I would slow right down to a crawl, id blast them with a thrower then try to move and got hit again so couldn't move that well at all. I did however find 3 crates before I retreated lol. what about if someone phones you when your on a mish, I no where your coming from with factoring in time but there is also the fact that people have to answer the phone or even the front door god forbid lol real life eh? this staminer system does sound interesting though, will it be fixt say at 100 like brawler or will it be unlimited?

2018-08-07 20:16:18

yes rl does have to take president. it's not like you can run back to the truck to retreat then answer the door or answer the phone etc. stuff like that needs to be acted upon there and then. the afk command would solve that problem. as long as it takes you effectively out of the action without giving you any benefits. no movement no interaction with the game at all apart from the command console and like i say if the mission completes whilst you are in afk then you don't get any reward. although i guess if you picked up any crates then those rewards could count as long as you dropped them off previously.

2018-08-07 20:28:34

Can anyone list for me a mainstream multiplayer game that lets you just get up and deal with real life, without being affected by the game continuing to play?  Real life forcing you to walk away from the game has been a part of every gamer's life for the past few decades.  It's just how it is, and I suffer with it just like everyone else.  Alternatives basically always turn out to give people advantages and/or cheat death, and it's one of the main reasons games don't even try to pull it off.

Someone is telling a funny story in team talk but there is a knock at your door.  You can try to ask everyone to stop the conversation and wait for you, or you just have to miss part of it.  Even if people all agreed to stop, it would never continue the same as if you hadn't held it up.
Your favorite song comes on the radio right as your phone starts to ring.  Oh well, you either choose to ignore the phone or you miss part of the song.

There are endless ways that we have to choose between real life or entertainment every day.  If someone is completely and absolutely unwilling to have something interrupt their playing experience, then multiplayer is Not for them.

When you guys compile the list of multiplayer games that let you instantly pause the action for yourself, please leave out games that aren't actually multiplayer in the same way Swamp is.  Multiplayer turn based games, by their very nature, give each player time to do what they need.  I'll go through your list and see if any of the way those games handle it inspire me.  It will be especially helpful if you pick some big popular games, like massively multiplayer online games (MMOs), real time strategy games (RTS), of course first person shooters (FPS), and multiplayer online battle arenas (MOBA).

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-08-07 20:45:23

Aprone, on the topic of stamina and how it effects melee weapons, maybe things function a  bit differently for online play, but so far in custom map mode the new stamina effect is making it impossible for me to get far from the safe zone. I'm lucky if I get 4 decent swings before the tiredness kicks in very suddenly and drasticly, too drasticly and far to suddenly. tongue Since I generally play starting with axe and pistol only, really not much chance to switch to the pistol until I've had a chance to gather some ammo (I usually play multi1 with only 100 zombies and 200 loot), so I usually end up having to fall back to the safe zone to heal after being mauled. I'd suggest lengthening the time before tiredness starts kicking in and make it more gradual yet, even if just by a couple seconds would be an improvement. And a couple other things, I'm sure have already probably been mentioned for years, but I'm not as active around here as I used to be. :$ Zombies I kill during mid growl/snarl/groan or whatever, most still continue making sound for several seconds after they've fallen dead, rather then the sound cutting off. Also, the campaign guide's list of items needs to be updated, as none of the titled weapons appear, and there are still pieces of armor listed there that were removed from the game earlier in the 3.x series. Still a wonderful game you have though, I just wish I could play it more.

AKA president731

2018-08-07 20:57:44

as for mainstream games that allow for this i don't know purely because i can't play them anymore. although there is an idle mode in GTA5 and i only know this because a friend of mine plays it. i have seen him walk away from the xbox1 before now to spend his dog whilst in a multiplay situation.
i don't see how  a person who goes afk in the way that i have described in previous messages can benefit from it. if you don't get any reward then if reward is all you're after then that is a pointless reason for doing it. the system i have described would allow for legitimate reasons only. cheating wouldn't happen because if it was coded correctly then whilst afk was active then you wouldn't be able to take any active part in the game world at all or benefit from any in game action.

2018-08-07 21:01:06

jsymes, how many of your swings miss when you engage those zombies?  I only ask because I'm trying to figure out if the current stamina settings are working as intended.  When I load up a custom map, I'm able to kill zombies with the axe without any real change due to stamina, but then again I'm only missing a few swings every now and then.   If a player holds down the button and fights zombies by swinging 10 times until the zombie wanders into range, then this new system is going to really affect things.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-08-07 21:03:10

Yeah I here what your saying about life getting in the way I have issues with that too LOL especially when the dog knocks your controller away because she wants to eat or gets scared of a thunderstorm.  We will just have to choose.  I do have a question for those using melee if you tire what do people suggest, because ammo is limited for even the best of us and for us lower level people like myself LOL.

2018-08-07 21:05:17

of course rl gets in the way and so it should it's real life. but should you have to lose out on a game every time you have to do a given thing? listening to a favourite tune on the radio etc is not my idea of a logical and necessary reason for having to go afk.

2018-08-07 21:06:40

don't misunderstand me, autoswing should have been fixed ages ago or more to the point it should never have existed in the first place. however a system does need to be in place to allow for certain things whether it's an audio game or not.

2018-08-07 21:23:10

Aprone, hmm, probably not as frequently as I'd want it to.  Judging distances never was one of my strong suits in Swamp. :$ Now that you mention it and looking back at my game earlier today, I found I was frequently a step or two short on the axe's range when I'd start swinging, then have to take a couple steps to actually get the zombies within range, which was why I suggested just adding a couple seconds would probably be the difference, for me at least. I'm not one of those that run around swinging away all the time. tongue

AKA president731

2018-08-07 21:39:42

I am going to play around with some of the stamina settings while I'm working on fixing a few small issues that were noticed in this latest patch.  I may decide to tweak them a bit, but I also might not.  tongue

Darren, as I stated earlier, I welcome you to list example games for me to get inspiration from.  The type of system you describe will have been perfected by big companies and their millions of hours of play time by the players.  I might as well benefit from the work the test of the mainstream world is doing in multiplayer games, with whatever they found works best to let people suddenly walk away from the game to answer the phone or let their dogs out.  I will look into each of the games you list, to see if their approaches will work well for Swamp.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-08-07 22:02:56

Regarding the issue of a way to "pause" the game, there were already ways that this came up via bugs in the past, and I have to agree with Aprone that there's no easy way to put such a system into place without having it be abused. What's to stop someone about to get killed during a mission to go into a state where they can no longer be harmed, only to get out of it just in time to get the reward at the end? Personally, I've found the ability to retreat to be a solid solution for those instances where life gets in the way. However, if I could make a suggestion, Aprone, it would be grate if we could retreat with the option of not removing our contribution. It's fine when it's a solo mission, but I always feel bad having to leave for some reason and setting back those still in the mission by taking away the work I've done. Personally, in a case like that, I'd prefer to leave my share of the reward for the others than take it with me and create more work for them.

Los Angeles Based musician, blogger, and programmer.
https://artistibarra.com/

2018-08-07 22:11:36

that's of course assuming you know when the mission will end. you don't because you don't know how many crates any other members of the team actually has or when they are going to drop said crates off.
like i say the game where i've seen something like this work is GTA5 online although as i don't have the sight to play it i can't tell you how it was achieved but i do know that it was done as i've seen him do it.

2018-08-07 22:22:08

I've tried looking up how GTA5 pauses its online play, and so far everything I've found states that it cannot be done.  You can open menus, but the game continues to run even if you don't see it happening behind the menu screen.
The closest thing I've found is that there is a passive mode setting, that marks you in the game so that others know you are AFK.  Your character sort of floats in the sky a bit with the word "paused" (or something) above them.  This is not an actual pause since the game enemies, cars, fire, and even other players can and will still kill you.  It seems this setting is meant as more of an indicator to let other players know you aren't around, hoping they are the sporting type that will choose to not shoot you in the head as they pass by.  Typing AFK in Swamp's chat and opening up a menu is basically the same thing as this.  You might not have other players kill you (if it were a CTF or something), but the zombies still would, and nothing actually stops players who want to still kill you.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-08-07 22:58:12

i've reuploaded the full zip and installer patched to 3.8B
link for the .zip is:
www.the-badger.co.uk/swamp.zip

link for full installer version is:
www.the-badger.ci.uk/swampsetup.exe

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-08-07 23:16:08

if you go with a team an other member can protect ya if it's a short time. For long time too except if only you are strong smile it causes -1 person to search but everything have a cost. And if you don't have to stand up, e.g phone call etc then go in a guardable place which only has one exit, then answer and listen whether if they find you. And if you have to do something which takes more time, then retreat. Or tell to the person outside the door "Just 5 minutes, i have to bring in 10 crates to 200!" smile In a mission there's no good way to write an afk system, and on maps too, cuz if you rounded by zombies it's soo unrealistic if you disappear and just wait until someone can dest those bastard from you smile

2018-08-07 23:22:34

ok fair enough that explains that. but i must ask, what difference does it make what other game developers do or don't do? why is that so important. also i'd like to ask why is my idea so bad? like i say i thought of an idea that would not allow anybody to benefit from being afk for any reason other than to deal with something that is rl. i'm sorry i just don't see the issue. if other games don't offer that so what? there's nothing stopping game developers from offering something like i've suggested if they so wish.