2014-05-04 20:41:44

hi dark.
and you, maybe you have seen a church which calling itself "the church of england" but their services are similar to the messianic jewish services?
kamochek.

kamochek.

2014-05-04 22:08:31

To be honest camochek you seem pretty obsessive about finding a service which is superficially similar to what you know. Heck, i'm fairly certain not all messianic jews work in the same way sinse I do know for a fact there are messianic jews who follow a much more Orthodox mode of worship, as I have met some at the counsel for christians and jews.

it's the same with the Church of England. Most are middle of the road, with some rituals similar to the catholics but some informalities, some are more formal (as I said I once heard of a Church of England priest who insisted on latin mass), and I know for instance not everyone in the Church of England agreed on having female priests although the Archbishop of Canterberry put his foot down over that one, some are far less formal, sojust reciting the creed and the lords prayer and mostly having a far less rigid order of service,. Heck even whether the hymns are extremely old English ones or modern ones, and whether the bible readings come from the King James Bible or a more modern and simple translation, and whether the readings are given in plane speech or as a chant is really up to the choice of the priest and what he or she thinks best suits their congrigation.

This is why I said earlier you have to look at what people believe, not merely how they practice and you can't so easily say even within the same dinomination eg, church of england Messianic jews what the single right kind of worship is.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-05-05 05:25:43

Dark, on the issue of religion verses science I understand the Church of England is far more relaxed on the issue than are American churches. I know that when Charles Darwin introduced the Theory of Evolution the Church of England openly accepted it, and therefore there was no major dispute between religion and science to speak of. However, over here in America the situation is far less relaxed, and often times religion and science are in open warfare with each other.

One reason in the American south there are biblical literalists, the fundamentalist churches, that take everything in the bible literally. Meaning if Genesis chapter one says the earth was created in six days they take that absolutely literally and therefore according to them things like the Big Bang and the Theory of Evolution are impossible and in direct opposition to the bible. As a result these fundamentalists we call creationists are often trying to get the Department of Education to remove all mention of Evolution and the Big Bang Theory removed from science textbooks, and of course want them to teach the biblical story of creation in schools

In fact, there was a case not long ago, I believe it was last year, where .a number of churches in Texas got together and put pressure on the Texas School Board to drop Evolution and the Big Bang Theory from science textbooks, and the FFRF had to step in and fight it in court because teaching creationism would violate the Constitutional separation between church and state. Sad to say cases like that are quite common here in the USA, and it is becoming a big problem.

Obviously, it puts someone like myself in a position to choose one side or the other, and to follow where the evidence leads. In my opinion teaching school age children that the universe was created in six literal days and that the universe is only 6,000 to 10,000 years old is as objectionable as teaching the children the world is flat or the earth is the center of the universe. It is safe to say that science has put us far beyond such ignorant non-sense and the evidence speaks for itself that the universe is 13.5 billion years old and the earth is a good 4.5 billion years old. We know Evolution is a fact thanks to fossil records, recent discoveries in genetic research, and laboratory experiments that proves the Theory of Evolution beyond a doubt. As a result someone like myself who is a college educated individual can't calmly stand by while religious fundamentalists push their ignorance off on other people.

That said, I believe the problem is much more basic than that. Its not just about fundamentalists are more pushy here in the States and they are constantly battling the government over issues like weather or not to keep "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance, weather or not prayer should be allowed in school, or over various objectionable scientific subjects such as Evolution and the Big Bang. For me the problem between science and religion comes down to good critical thinking skills. The way a skeptical person of science and a religious person of faith come to believe truth are very different.

The scientific methodology starts from a position of doubt and skepticism. Therefore he or she examines the evidence and follows where it leads. As the late great astronomer Carl Sagan use to say, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." Therefore the entire concept of faith goes against the more skeptical approach to truth used by the scientific methodology.

Religion on the other hand is based almost exclusively on faith. Very few religious people actually go out looking for empirical evidence to support what they believe, and base their opinions solely on what their holy book says or what they have been told by their parents or minister. As a result they are free to believe some extremely extraordinary claims such as virgin births, people being raised from the dead, the parting of the Red Sea, and hundreds of other miracles for which there is no credible evidence to believe they ever happened. Therefore I feel that such people who believe in that stuff is a bit gullible.

What I am trying to say is that religion as an institution generally discourages critical thinking, and instead teaches followers to trust their religious leaders, their holy books, and to think it is okay to believe something is true when all empirical evidence and ordinary common sense says otherwise. Such thinking is very naive and often leads to the worst kind of gullibility. What's worse in places like the USA such people tend to try and push their gullible and uneducated opinions on others which is wrong.

Critical thinking is so important, especially now, because science can teach us a lot about things that were not known when most of the worlds religious books were written. Blindly following a religion based on ancient books, closing one's eyes to truth, is a recipe for social disaster. It is easy to label Islamic terrorism like the 9/11 attacks as religious extremism or the Christian fundamentalists who want to have Evolution banned in public schools as extremists, but we overlook the fact that it is because critical thinking is not encouraged as a core value that leads to exactly those sorts of antisocial behaviors. Had those people been taught critical thinking skills, to use logic and reason, I am pretty sure things like that would not happen.

I should point out that it just isn't religious people who could use some critical thinking. There seems to be a large percentage of the American public that is extremely gullible when it comes to psychics, UFOs, Big Foot, the Lock Ness Monster, ghosts, and a whole bunch of other subjects that lack any scientific credibility. I can remember there fore a while there use to be commercials on TV for 1-900 numbers where someone could call this or that psychic hotline to have their future told regarding romance, work, etc. I often wondered who would be idiotic or gullible enough to pay a dollar a minute to talk to a supposed psychic, but apparently there were plenty of people that gullible. Besides that for a while there was a show called Crossing Over with John Edwards who supposedly put people in contact with their deceased relatives. There are several syndicated programs on aliens and UFOs like UFO Files, Ancient Aliens, etc which is a big thing right now.

The point I am getting at is it doesn't hurt to have a healthy amount of skepticism when it comes to the subject of God, psychics, UFOs, and any other controversial subject you can name. As Sagan said the more extraordinary and unbelievable the claim the more extraordinary the evidence has to be to prove it. We can't just believe something because so and so said so or some ancient book says so. We need some empirical testable proof that supports or disproves that belief. When a certain thing is in doubt without evidence to prove it to be true or false the best position is one of admitting we don't know the answer with any certainty. The worst thing to do in my opinion is to assert something is true without any supporting evidence for that point of view. Critical thinking requires weighing the evidence and going with the most rational conclusion based on the available evidence at the time.

Of course, there is a problem and that is personal experience. You said above you believe in a god because of your personal experiences. That is not unusual. I know a lot of Christians have told me the evidence doesn't matter because they have had this or that personal experience that confirms their belief such as feeling a presents in the room while praying, describe a feeling of peace, feeling warm all over, and claim certain prayers were answered. That is much harder for a skeptical person like myself to quantify because it is not testable. Sure, I can come up with reasonable scientific hypotheses to explain all of those things, but there isn't anyway to prove those hypotheses as there isn't any empirical evidence supporting them one way or another. At most all I can do is form a reasonable hypothesis based on what evidence I do have available to me at the time.

All I can say for sure is when I was younger I had some religious experiences myself. I use to feel a tingling warm feeling when praying, once and a while believed there was a presents in the room with me, and certain prayers seemed to have been answered. However, in hindsight I am not so certain any of that was proof or evidence of a god or godlike being. The so-called presents and warm feeling while praying could have been products of my own imagination. As for the answered prayers I suspect they were confirmation bias at work. I believed a prayer had been answered when something had happened I had prayed for, but completely ignored every time a prayer hadn't been answered. Usually I'd use the old excuse this or that wasn't in God's will and therefore could excuse away the hundreds of things I had prayed for with no answer. So I would consider my personal experiences very weak evidence when arguing for the existence of God. Especially, when there are so many things in the bible that can be proven to be false which supports an agnostic point of view.

For example, let's take the story of Noah and the Ark. For one thing there is no evidence of a world wide flood anywhere in the past 1,000,000 years, no mass extinction as a result of said flood, and geneticists can't find any markers in animal DNA to  prove that narrows down to two of each kind. Moreover fossil evidence proves pretty conclusively that some species of animals such as kangaroos have always lived on the Australian continent and have not been found anywhere else in the world. Therefore it is highly improbable to say when Noah finally reached dry land he opened the Ark and the kangaroos just happily hopped their way all the way from central Asia to Australia. That clearly did not happen, and it is pretty clear if one examines the evidence that the Noah story is a myth probably based on some flood or other that was exclusive to central Asia and not the entire world.

For me being a skeptic to begin with I feel there is more than enough reason to doubt the bible as the word of God. There are too many stories like the story of Noah that can be easily explained away or proven to be false to put much faith in them as being accurate or historically significant. When it comes down to it the historicity of Jesus ever being a real person is pretty doubtful. The evidence just isn't there to prove that he existed, but even if there was a historical Jesus there isn't any proof that he had a virgin birth, that he was crucified and rose from the dead in three days, that he healed a bunch of people, etc. All of that is just hear say, and it is purely a matter of faith. Since I am not going to take the bible on faith knowing its various inaccuracies I have every reason to doubt there was ever a Jesus and its claims of God are equally not trust worthy. I'm left with the agnostic viewpoint being the only rational point of view possible.

There are, of course, other religious points of view that I think are more credible from a scientific point of view. There are the pantheistic religions like Daoism and Taoism which see the universe as all being one with God, and God is a natural energy or force that is in every living thing. The Force from Star Wars is a pantheistic concept, and was based on middle eastern pantheistic beliefs. I personally find that view of God more believable and more acceptable than the vengeful tyrant from the bible who punishes people for real and imagined sins for which there is very little evidence to begin with.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-05-05 08:36:21

Hi Tom.

Well as I've said before I don't believe that fundamentalist, simplistic christian view is half as common over here, and to be honest I would not considder such a view to be worth my time or considderation. If I believed that to be the be all and end all of christianity and that was essentially all religion was I would likely be a complete atheist sinse it is blatantly and equally obvious that these things are mythological as you pointed out.

That being said, I do believe you have a simplistic view of both faith and of scientific progress. I have studdied the scientific method, the problem of induction and of paradigm shift and I am not entirely convinced that science is so much a search for absolute truth or a method of adopting that truth as it appears. This is not to say that I believe creationism is correct, I don't, I just do not like the simplistic view of science and religion as opposing explanations of the universe or of faith and rationality as exclusively at odds.

I also don't personally believe ethics is a function of science or crytical thinking either. Ethnic clensing and nazi beliefs were based on scientific and darwinist principles applied to social order, indeed if you read any Nazi propergander it is remarkable how rational the stuff is. While I would never disagree that religious fundamentalism of any sort can breed hatred from studdying ethics for a significantly long time I am not convinced that rationality or crytical thought alone is automatically a guide to good action without some form of empathy or active considderation for the suffering of others to back it up.

I suspect though this is an area where your experiences of religion vs your experience of science have coloured your outlook, which is understandable, which is likely why we won't agree on this although I would recommend you read up on some of the philosophers of science such as Paul Fierabent and Thomas Kuhn.

Getting back to religion, Interestingly enough there was a series on the bbc a while ago called "Around the world in 80 faiths" in which a pretty average church of England vicar wandered around the world exploring different religions. ironically the country he liked least was america sinse he actually said he found no kinship with his own idea of what christianity was in any of the varients of American christianity he attended.

I must admit I am always confused when people characterize "faith" as this sort of mystical force that allows belief without proof. That is not to me what faith is or indeed anything I could have a respect for, nor is it what I tend to have encountered when i run across those people who I actually feel to have a relationship with God.

I would myself characterize faith much more as a felt relationship between a person and God, an active and participatory thing which is not exclusively tied to one or other explanation of where humans came from so much as it is a path of meditation and outlook, indeed I find it odd that you praise pantheistic religious experience without considdering that the very term pantheism was coined by christian mystics who spoke of an intimate connection in all things to God. I'd suggest you examine Spinosa's philosophy particularly for this sort of view.

As regards religious experience, my own experiences were a good bit more profound than just "feeling warm while preying" orr attributing events to the will of God,

indeed as per David Hume's deffinition of religious experience, I can't adequately explain them sinse we don't actually possess words that would be understandable. It is also incorrect to assume that what I sensed was an exclusively passive experience either. It was not true that I "saw god" for example so much as I felt something which was not me, which was infinite, or at least felt that way, and which was totally unlike any other experience I've ever had. About the closest I can come is saying it was like floating in a blackish light, but that is incredibly inadequate. I use the term "god" as it's the word most people tend to use for that sort of experience, but in many ways it's an inadequate term. Neither were they particularly frequent , I have only had perhaps three in my life, however I was always able to summon echoes of those experiences at will by the appropriate meditation, though that is the part which has fallen off, hence my agnosticism, or at least my agnosticism on the idea that the thing we call "god" actively bothers about humanity.

I don't ask you to believe these experiences. Indeed a good agnostic friend of mine once said that to him they were like a program trying to open an incorrect file type, which is likely correct sinse one of the problems of human language is we don't really have adequate terminology to explain such experiences accept to people who might have shared something similar (one reason why for a while I called myself a universalist and believed that all religions were pointing at the same thing). However hopefully this does show why I find the idea that religion is just about believing claims against evidence or that you could dismiss the beliefs and experiences of those who have devoted their lives to becoming closer to "god" (if that's an adequate term), so easily.

Ironically of the people i would met who I'd describe as having an active faith, some have been christian, one was a rabbi, one an islamic mystic and one a budhist monk, though none of them had that sort of militant, aggressive quality I've noticed in zealous fundamentalists, sinse part of that quality I've noticed seems to be a sense of peace with the world and with those around them, and that is one thing a lot of militant fundamentalists don't seem to have

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-05-07 13:24:09

Dark, well, I do understand where you are coming from, but I don't think you fully understand where I am coming from regarding my views of religion and science. I suppose that for someone such as yourself who has spent their life studying philosophy and are use to debating with like minded individuals my views seem a bit simplistic and perhaps a bit narrow minded. While I can fully appreciate things like Thomas Kuhn's discussion of scientific progress and paradigm shifts I don't think that can help me any when arguing with religious fundamentalists who have one view, and only one view, of the world. I'll be the first to admit my opinions are not completely objective and unbiased, and you are right to say that my personal experiences have colored my views to a certain degree.

You said above you don't believe that religious fundamentalist views are very common over in the UK, and you wouldn't find them worth your time. You see, that's precisely the problem. They are very common over here in the United States, and while I do not equate all Christians with Christian fundamentalists  I do find myself arguing with fundamentalists who are very unreasonable and very irrational. As a result I can't afford to get into philosophical debates over religion and science because those people already have a very simplistic view of the world and I try to give them an alternative view of the world that is hopefully simple enough to grasp where I am coming from.

To give you a prime example of something going on in my life right now that is pertinent to this discussion as you may or may not know my ex wife and I are going through a highly contested divorce. Right now I have taken my ex wife to court over our son's education. I want to enroll him in public school my ex wife and her family don't want him going to public school and instead want him enrolled in home school or in Christian bible school. The reason I object so strongly to either of those ideas is my ex wife, her parents, and most of her relatives are Christian fundamentalist types who take everything in the bible absolutely literally. They believe the entire universe was created in six literal days, they believe the universe is only 6,000 years old, and so on. They don't have a very high opinion of science and have told my son that Evolution is a lie, the Big Bang is a lie, and basically told my son not to listen to me because I don't know what I am talking about. They told him if he believes anything I tell him about science that he will go to hell which has poisoned his mind against me.

Its easy for someone like yourself to be nonchalant  and easy going about religion because you don't have a reason to fight over it. However, what would you do if you were trying to read your son a book about something like dinosaurs and when you tell him Tyrannosaurs Rex lived 65 million years ago only to have him reply, "mommy says that is a lie because the earth is only 6,000 years old?"

I don't know about you, but that sort of thing makes my blood boil.  Thanks to freedom of religion being protected by the U.S. Constitution people like my ex are allowed to get by with teaching American children like my son absolute ignorant concepts such as the world is 6,000 years old without any proof or evidence to back it up. They are allowed to get by with poisoning children against science and making them distrust the scientific method and the analytic process in favor of just believing in the literal word of God. So in an instance like this yes faith and rationality are at odds with each other, because they are completely two different world views.

When debating science and religion with someone like yourself I don't have an issue discussing concepts like the problem of induction or paradigm shift because we are both rational educated people. As for me personally I don't think science holds all the answers and have experimented with a variety of religious views over the years because I'd like to believe there is something more to life. When I was a  college student I took a few comparative study courses on religion and as part of those course studies I spent some time studying Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, Islam, and Christianity.  I think those studies were fascinating, and I did get a grudging respect for multiple points of view about God and the universe. However, I am and have always been more of a skeptical person at heart so I don't necessarily think I can subscribe to any religion based on faith alone. I prefer to apply Bayesian probability  to any hypothesis I am uncertain about in order to gauge its probability or likelihood to see if it is something worth pursuing. So I am a bit of a doubter when it comes to things of the supernatural even though I would like to think there could be something more.

As far as the topic of ethics goes I don't think ethics is a function of science either, nor do I believe ethics are exclusively a function of religion. I consider myself a humanist and as such I believe ethics require empathy for the suffering and needs of others. If I had to boil it down to one simple rule I'd say treat others with the same respect you want to be shown, or as the Christians would say, "do unto others as do unto you." That seems to be a universal ethical principle and that sentiment has been echoed by many religious figures including Jesus, Buddha, and Confucius to name a few.

While it seems most of our ethical and moral principles come from religious sources they are often similar when it comes to the basics. Certain crimes like murder, adultery, theft, and lying are all taboos in just about every culture we could name. We can, for example, study the Egyptian Laws of Maat which are some 5,000 years old and see that even at the dawn of written history humankind were already aware of the need to have ethical codes banning serious crimes against fellow people such as murder. So ethics have been around a long time, and future cultures simply built upon what was established then.

I don't personally believe science and reason alone are a good guide to ethics and morality, but we can use them in conjunction with some universal ethics to have a fair and decent outlook on life. I do believe though if someone has some decent humanist values such as doing good for goodness sake combined with critical thinking that most people will act in a way that is to the benefit of his or her community rather than being self-serving.

Unfortunately, religious fundamentalists and extremists  are often coming from an irrational upbringing of hatred and have a warped sense of right and wrong. It is for that reason that an Islamic extremist can walk onto a bus load of Jews, Christians, or whatever and blow himself up thinking he will go to heaven and be awarded 70 virgins as a martyr.  That sort of thinking is completely irrational and is totally self-serving. I strongly doubt a humanist would do something that extreme because it would go against our understanding of ethics and basic morality.

Regarding religious experiences  that of course is something only the person having that experience can relate to. Religious experiences by nature are personal events, and it is not really up to someone else not having had that experience to say that experience was real or not. At most all someone not having had that particular experience can say is it is something outside their own personal experience, and therefore the best they can do is just keep an open mind on the subject. There is nothing wrong admitting we don't know if something is in doubt and there is no way to prove it happened or not.

However, that said, I do understand your point of view about religion not just being about believing in claims against evidence. Your understanding of faith and mine are quite a bit different. As I understand it your definition of faith is based on people's personal experiences where what I am talking about is blind faith based on literal interpretations of scripture. In short, we are having a discussion about two different concepts and language being infallible as it is we were using the same word to describe two different concepts. I don't really have a problem having faith in something based on some personal experience like you were talking about, but I do have a problem with blind faith, belief, in something that goes against all available evidence such as my ex and her family believe.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2014-05-08 04:18:56

hi.
i thought today and i have a question:
as you know, in the old testament many times god says that if somebody will not do the things he said to do, this man will be destroyed from israel.
i thought, why jesus didn't said this thing: who will not believ in me will be destroyed from israel?
i mean that thing he could tell to the jews.
maybe if he said that, today the jews were believing in him (jesus).
so the question is: why he didn't told this thing?
kamochek.

kamochek.

2014-05-08 09:43:37

Yup, indeed. Another spammer, this absolutely did not make sense in any way. lol

Talking about the old testament:
I'm not sure whether Jesus already has been born when god wanted to get rid of those who didn't follow him.
I don't think so. Please, to all the others, correct me when I am wrong.
But actually, this wastaking place before Jesus and his followers.
The bible does not actually start with Jesus, it starts with Adam and Eva, who were, regarding the bible, living in paradise till Eva told Adam to eat one of the forbidden apples. Jesus does not play a role here at all.

Feel free to check my blog at
http://www.patrickdembinski.org
Aut enim do tibi, ut des, aut do, ut facias, aut facio, ut des, aut facio, ut facias.

2014-05-08 12:58:04

Hi Tom.

I can completely understand why you hold the view of faith that you do and that you have a problem with fundamentalists. When I said "such views aren't worth my time" what I meant is more Hume's  saying on the same subject "I can reason no longer with him" which is simply that when a person is in such a position that they can no longer recieve any new ideas debate is pretty pointless. I can sympathize with your situation involving your son, and I can completely see why religious fundamentalism is something your concerned with. What however I object to is a class of people (many of whome I've encountered at university), who believe rather as Richard dorkins does, who in fact subscribe to what has been dubbed "Scientism" or the worship of science, the idea that pretty much anything a scientist arrives at is automatically believable simply because a scientist has said it. This also goes with the idea of treating evolution as an almost purposive force. For example one paper I read in connection with my doctral research postulated that disabilities still existed within the population because disabled people basically have tapped into an evolutionary propensity to acquire sympathy for others, thus making disability a survival traite. The paper didn't go quite as far as claiming (as the nazis did), that disabled people were therefore inferior and shouldn't be allowed to procreate but it was certainly going in that direction.

That is the sort of view I tend to object to, sort of the fundamental atheist end of rationalism, indeed a rationalism which, in it's refusal to accept factors such as the problem of induction, Karl Popper's issues of falsfication and the problem of experimental regress and considder any fallibility in the scientific method has almost become the equal of the very religious fundamentalism which it is opposed to.

One really good text book I had for my introductory module on Philosophy of Science was called "what is this thing called science" by A J Chambers. I actually sat down and read the thing all the way through when I finished that module sinse it put forward all the salient arguements in an extremely logical and easy to understand way (indeed it was not such a heavy book at all).

The British audio tape  library also actually had a copy of it in audio, though I don't know if it's sinse been digitized or is available in the states.

Regarding faith, as I said for me at least if I considdered "Faith" to simply be the ability to explain event  with reference to a part translated set of 2000 year old myths, and attempt to fit those myths into an understanding of the world, then I would see no more value in it than any other set of purely irrational beliefs  like those conspiracy nuts who believe everyone is out to get them iin a giant governmental cover up. While I exclusively maintain a scepticism about the scientific method and would not accept scientism, at the same time I do believe it's the best chance we've got at arriving at a consistant understanding of the world, albeit one which only covers "how" things are what they are, not how any individual should stand in relationship to them.

I wouldn't just apply this to religious fundamentalism either. I'm equally scheptical of say evolutionary stories about human behaviour, black box theories of the unconscious mind (such as freudian psychology), or ideas of the supernatural influencing people.  This is also why I mention my own religious experiences but do not attempt  to convince you of their reality, indeed I've had friends who have had religious experiences that I simply am not in a position to explain and would  not wish to try.

This is why I tend to regard "faith" as a much more active, practical,  very different thing to explanations about the dinosaurs etc. Not a set of beliefs, but an active relationship a person has with some sort of divinity, something much more worthy of respect sinse it tends to require both dedication and self diciplin of the emotions, as well as a regard for others, indeed I think it's  often quite an irony that "love thy neighbor" is almost the first thing which religious  fundamentalists tend to violate.

2014-05-08 18:38:37

Kamochek, on the contrary if you study the New Testament more closely Jesus did tell the Jews and everyone else that they must believe he is the messiah else they will parish, be destroyed, etc. Right off the top of my head I can think of a few verses where he explicitly says that, but the one that comes immediately to mind is John 3:16 which Christians often use when talking about the importance of salvation because it gets to the point. In John 3:16 Jesus says, "for God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son so that all who believe in him shall not parish but have everlasting life."

I don't think that verse could be any more plain and to the point. In short, Jesus said if someone wants to have everlasting life they must believe in him, meaning Jesus, else the alternative is everlasting death, to parish, to be destroyed, etc. How much more plain and straight forward does he have to be?

Paddy, just a comment about Eve eating an apple. Actually, genesis doesn't really say what kind of fruit it was she ate. All it says is she took from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil and ate. It doesn't really say if it was an apple, banana, pair, peach, etc. I think this is a case of literalism at work because people have for centuries been calling it an apple when the type of fruit is never specified. In fact, it is possible the fruit is allegorical and represents forbidden knowledge rather than being a literal fruit. Make sense?

Dark, yes, I definitely see where you are coming from. You are right debate with someone who has already made his/her mind up that they know all there is to know is pretty pointless. Unfortunately, alot of fundamentalists and even militant atheists fall into that category because all they can see is black and white and a discussion about something that falls into an area in between is impossible. They insist that their view is the one and only view which makes arguing with them a waste of time and effort.

I also agree with you about those people who subscribe to scientism because science, although very useful in many ways, is imperfect and is prone to mistakes. One shouldn't automatically believe something just because a scientist said it or put forth a hypothesis that has not been independently verified. That leads to huge mistakes, and scientists have been known to make them from time to time.

In fact, not too long ago I read a book called Bad Science which exposes a number of cases where so-called alternative treatments in the health industry were rushed to market using poor research and in dependant study has found them to be useless. The alternative health products are bad about making false claims about their products that can't be backed up with real scientific study and people are being duped into buying them all because some scientist or medical doctor endorses it, and it turns out the people doing the endorsing are quite frankly quacks. So just because a medical doctor or scientist says something doesn't necessarily make it so.

As far as the militant atheists go who refuse to see any fallibility in the scientific method it is true that some of them like Richard Dawkins almost are as extreme as the Christian fundamentalists they are arguing with in their personal views. I think for those people who openly claim science is the be all and end all to truth they have some personal motivations that aren't made plain in their books and in their lectures. Let's face it we are all human beings, we all want to be right, but a lot of times we embrace some position based on some emotional motivation as well as some rational reason.

I can use myself as a perfect example. Although, I strongly believe there isn't enough evidence to support the existence of God I'm also a realist to know that hypothesis hasn't been completely ruled out either. Still, my disbelief isn't based entirely on logic and reason alone. I have plenty of personal and deeply emotional reasons for disbelieving in the God of the bible. Some based on personal experiences that lead me to lose any belief in an all loving, all knowing, creator who cares about me or who will intervene on my behalf.

To start with when I first found out I was going blind I was at that time a Christian, and I spent a lot of time on my knees in prayer for God to heal me, to not let me go blind, and I went blind anyway. My family took me to see a faith healer, he laid hands on me, and of course nothing happened. That placed the seeds of doubt in my mind that maybe God wasn't real, because the thing I most wanted was so obviously not granted regardless of how much I prayed.

When I got a bit older, around 16, I had a girlfriend I cared very deeply for. She got a brain tumor, and although the doctors were able to safely remove the tumor doing so caused her a bunch of health issues in the process. In a little over a year after we met she passed away, and I was positively furious at God. No matter how much I prayed God let her die anyway, and everyone tried to comfort me by saying someday we will be back together in heaven or that I need to trust that it was for the best etc. Obviously, I felt cheated out of the life we could have had together and no amount of the usual platitudes could console me or alleviate my grief.

When I got older and became an agnostic I was better able to deal with my pain. I was able to look at it from a new perspective that perhaps if there was no God that losing my vision and the death of my former girlfriend were no more and no less natural events without anyone to blame. Sure, it was alright to feel anger over what happened, but I no longer could direct that anger at a god I no longer was certain existed. I began to look at life as being full of things both happy and sad, both good and bad, with no supernatural god at the switch. I was able to accept things once I realized that sometimes bad things happen and they are simply a random act of nature. Some might view that as cold comfort, but at least it is something I can personally accept at face value as being no more and no less than what it is.

So to get to the heart of the matter I feel as though I have been  lied to by my parents, my church, and everyone else who believed in God because I feel as though I was given a lot of false hope in something that ultimately did nothing to help me deal withe the situation. I would have preferred if people had been straight with me and said there was nothing that could have been done about the situation. Instead of that they continued to feed me false hope by telling me to pray about it, leave it up to God, put my faith in Jesus, and all that. When I did my heart was broken time and time again by unanswered prayers and false hopes. So while I have a lot of rational reasons for disbelieving in a personal God the main one is an emotional one based in having been hurt one too many time by unreciprocated prayers.

Obviously, I can not say what atheists like Richard Dawkins' motivations might be I am sure there is some event, some emotional reason, behind why they are so militant towards religion. For some people growing up in a religious background it is a happy wonderful experience, and for others it becomes a kind of torture. Especially, when they are brought up to believe that God will answer their prayers, that they should seek and they will find, and all that jazz only to ultimately feel betrayed when their prayers are not answered. I don't like being lied to, and I do feel a lot of Christian churches, innocent or not, are giving lots of people a sense of false hope in something that does not exist and are lying to them.

As far as the issue of logic and reason I don't think it is merely a problem with religious fundamentalism either. There are a number of cases where I think people could be more skeptical use a bit of the scientific method to try and come to a better understanding of the stuff they are claiming. As you said there are a lot of conspiracy nuts running around who have all kinds of wild conspiracy theories that don't really have much evidence or credible support. Sometimes the conspiracy theories don't make a lot of sense from a rational point of view.

For example, there is a show over here in the States called Decoded where the host tries to go around the world and prove or debunk various conspiracy theories. In most cases after a very extensive investigation into the evidence for this or that conspiracy theory it is clear that a lot of conspiracy theories are based on a lot of conjecture and wild speculation. Its that old problem of confirmation bias where the conspiracy theorist tries to make the evidence conform to his/her point of view rather than changing his/her point of view to conform to the available evidence at hand. Applying a little research with some logic and reasoning to many of those conspiracy theories usually reveals the lack of proper investigation into the ideas behind them.

Interesting enough it does amaze me how much of American television is taken up with pseudo science type programming. We have shows like Ghost Hunters, Ghost Hunters International, and Haunted History to name a few dealing with ghosts. We have UFO Files, Ancient Aliens, and quite a number of other programs dealing with alien abductions and alien visitations. there are several Christian type programs dealing with such topics as life after death, miracles, angels, and other supernatural events. There are shows like Crossing Over that deals with psychics and contacting the dead. I'm not saying that such shows should not exist, I do find them interesting to a certain point, but I do wonder how many people watch that kind of programming and assume it is all true without a modicum of skepticism.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2014-05-08 23:15:12

Hi Tom.

You are likely correct on history being the reason that a person chooses a certain belief or pattern, although with some   rabbid atheists I've met, (and of course being at a university I've met more than a few), it is often simply that they have never seen the bennificial side of religion or have encountered religious people who's ideas of faith and God are not so simplistic. A great example of this line of thinking was Arthur C clarke's novel the mountains of paradise, which involve communication with an alien probe who gives humanity plans for advanced technology. In a very offhand section of the novel (which is actually much more concerned with that technology and the building of a space elivator), Clarke describes a bishop transmitting the entirety of Thomas Aquinas meditations to the probe to recieve the answer "Bad data" or something like that.

What however struck me about this episode, is that Clarke imagines "aquinas" as the pinacle of religious discourse. Aquinas was both a great theologian and schollar of his day, and indeed furthered the course of what we would now think of as mathematics and science, but the idea that all religious philosophy has remained static sinse the thirteenth century is ridiculous! sinse while undoubtedly there are people who still maintain beliefs that haven't changed (like all those religious fundamentalists who are convinced on the 6000 year age of the earth which I believe was actually a scientific guess from the roman schollar Ptolomee).

It often strikes me tthat a lot of rabbid atheists (as well as needing a good dose of philosophy of science), see religion as soemthing of a straw man and actively disregard the active faith and religious experiences of mystics, preferring to characterize all religious belief as that sort of easily answered fundamentalism.

As regards suffering contradicting belief in God, while I do understand the position, at the same time it depends entirely on what you believe God to be capable of. I was never taught that God would literally intervine in the world, or that if I prayed for something it would automatically happen. Indeed when I! lost all of the vision of my right eye when i was seven in a massive expulsive hemmerage during an operation, which not only lost me most of my vision but also caused extreme and severe pain, I was never told to pray to God to make it better. Indeed the local vicar (himself having lost a leg in the war), came and gave me communian and talked to me about things. I was told bad things happen, but God would be there if I needed. As it turned out,that prooved literally true according to experiences, and something I remembered over the next few years, both when very alone at my specialist school and afterwards through some very bad circumstances.

Probably the best quote I've ever heard on this subject was at one meeting at Beth Shalom, a British Memorial for victims of the Shoa (holocaust). Two survivers of the concentration camps were debating this. one chap felt (much as you do), that there could possibly be no God with what had happened to them in the concentration camps. he challenged the lady, who still maintained a belief in God and was a Practicing Jew "where was God in the camps?" to which she replied "I knew where God was, I had no problem with where God was. The real question is where was man!"

Of course my current problem is that I am not so sure anymore of that relationship to God , however I would never say it doesn't exist for some people or that I didn't have it at one time, my own issue at the moment is that I am no longer convinced God actively cares about anyone who isn't in touch with God, and if you lose that communication ---- well Tough Lukc.

Regarding science and conspiracy theories and such, well while it's absolutely true I've seen a lot of dud advertising and the like, at the sme time even major scientists can be guilty of bad science, indeed when I was studdying philosophy of a science a friend of mine (himself with extremely good qualifications in physics maths and chemistry), used to read the new scientist and point out articals that fell fowl of say experimental regress or making unfalsifyable claimes.

To give one example, last year I watched a program on colour and psychology. One psychologist on the program (not a presenter, a qualified doctor of psychology), postulated that different colours would change people's perceptions of time, that red, being associated with blood and fire and such would make people perceive time to pass more quickly, while blue, being associated with calm and cold would have the opposite effect.

They took three groups of participants, and asked each to go individually into a coloured room and time how long they thought a minute was. One group went into a red room, the other a blue one, the control group into a plane black room.

The prediction was that the group in the blue room would estimate a minute as longer because they perceived time more slowly. What actually happened on the program was that those who went into the red room made the longest estimates and took the most time, while those in the blue room made the shortest estimates and came out more quickly. this was a direct contravention of the psychologist's initial hypothesis. what he said however was that he still! believed people felt time passing more slowly in the blue room, and made the shorter estimates because people believed they'd spent a minute in there already because of the slower passage of time.

this was one of the clearest cases of unfalsifyable scientific practice I've seen. The psychologist had! a theory, set up an experiment to test that theory, but once the experiment showed a different result altered the theory to remain the same despite that result.

I also find it worrying particularly when people like Dorkins get on the evolutionary hobby horse and want to try and offer "Evolution" as the explanation for anything and everything, telling increasingly weerder unfalsifyable stories about human behaviour and present these as scientific fact, like the disability theory I mentioned earlier.

That evolution exists I do not doubt, indeed it's only necessary to studdy something like bacterial resistance to see evolution in action, but to claime evolution as some sort of explanetory force for anything and everything we don't understand, or assume that everything about humans must! come down to some almighty evolutionary survival of the fittest idea and that the selfish gene makes selfish individuals as many rabbid atheists do seems to me just as consistantly overkill.

Btw, to lighten the mood however, I have an absolutely true story about how philosophy was used for exorcism!

A very famous and well respected Ethicist told me once over dinner when I was president of the philosophy  society at Durham, how he got sick of the endless university burocracy. one form asked him what further professional training he required in order to carry out his job properly. Being totally sick of stupid questions he wrote that he thought he needed qualifications in Exorcism!

This was fine until some time the next term, a first year student knocked on the professor's door one evening and asked him if he could please come and deel with a ghost in her room. She'd apparently looked on the university website and seen that he had recieved training from the university in exorcism!

The professor responded to this by grabbing a copy of David Hume's schepticism, and marching round and round this student's room reading it out in a very loud voice!

The professor says he's still not recieved any training in exorcism, but it must have done the trick sinse the student stopped complaining about Ghosts! big_smile.