2014-04-01 15:58:16

Hello, guys! I'm a noob here on this forum. I am wondering if someone could teach me how to send a PM or a forum email to someone on the forum. Your help will be appreciated.

Team rocket's blasting off again!

2014-04-01 18:27:48

Moderation!

I'm moving this topic to sight and forum feedback sinse it relates to  how things work.

As to your question,  nothing is easier. Under every member's post are links to send a private message and an E-mail, as well as a link to report the post to the moderators. When you hit those you'll be taken to a page with a form to enter the subject and text of your  message.

If you recieve an E-mail you will be mailed a notification from the forum saying as much and giving the person's message (you wo't see their  E-mail address but you can reply directly and they'll be sent your reply). If you want to check your  private messages, use the "Private messages" link at the top of the page, though sinse unfortunately we don't have a way for members to get notifications when they have new private messages at the moment, it's better to send E-mails from the forum sinse you can guarantee people will know they have them.

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-04-01 21:05:55

Hi Dark, thanks for the e-mail and yeah..I wonder if this is a Pun BB issue in general? Do other forums that use it also not have ways of being notified? I hate having to reply to messages like a month after they come in since I'm usually a very quick responder O:-D

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-04-02 15:46:42 (edited by Kenzon Yeoh 2014-04-02 16:03:03)

Hi guys, these are some questions i forgot to ask yesterday:
1. In my private message|outbox, there are some messages that are "sent" and some that are "delivered". May i know what's the difference of the two?
2. can i actually attach files to my message?
3. what's the difference between your user titles? Say, shades of nooby, tank competter, kitchen golfer, and whatnot?
4. Also, whats user karma and what is it for? (sorry guys, i'm new to forums and stuff. In fact, this is the first forum in which i registered! and the reason beeing to join game discussions for the blind. I myself a totally blind who is interested in audio games and computer stuff.)

2014-04-03 11:36:39

@Green: I'm not Dark but speculate that this is simply a forgotten feature of PunBB--a bug. It doesn't apply to all forums, for sure. Sadly there is no way of being told about PMs, not even RSS, so it's generally recognised on here that PMs are fairly ineffective.

@Kenzon:

1. The forum, being centralised, knows when a person reads your message or displays the message list and can show it to you. Personally I consider that a privacy-violating feature, but whatever. Everyone knows everyone on here anyway. smile

2. Text only, it would seem. But being a web-based affair, you can still use BBCode. How swish! Just use email to send attachments. For big files, use external services, as usual. Some members expose their email address (I have, for example); in that case choose the email option to open up your email client. But if that's not been done you may have to send a text email to ask for an addy to use.

3. These are "Ranks". They're pretty meaningless outside the community, but indicate how much posting has been done, and initially decide the privileges you have to post links, reveal your sig in public, etc.

4. Karma is a sum of positive votes on a poster's postings. Once again, basically meaningless outside the community and almost meaningless inside it. I generally only +1 exceptional postings that I especially appreciate and agree with, but this does not mean I don't appreciate and/or enjoy the others. Take that for what it is.

I too only frequent this board (though I've used others); I do everything else by email. Most other boards are annoying and don't emphasise the spirit of the content very well--in short, they just suck.

Enjoy your stay here. It's a nice place with a wonderful community. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2014-04-03 13:00:59 (edited by Kenzon Yeoh 2014-04-03 15:08:22)

Thanks sebby and dark!
You know what? The first game that  made me register here is this one over here: braillemon . (just a recommendation, it's fun, why not try it out?) Not to advertise anything, just to share this with you guys. Daigonite (the programmer of this game) will post download links when new virsions are released. It's still in beta testing, though.

2014-04-05 04:09:07

Not to start a debate between privacy and what not, but it is helpful for one to know if your message has actually been read or just sent. If that person doesn't want to show that to you we could add an optional feature to enable or disable return receipts. I've seen this done with e-mail clients.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-04-05 08:26:18

@Green: yes that is an option. Personally I think read receipts are more trouble than they're worth, though you could of course ask on a message-by-message basis.

Another option that I appreciate (and that, despite being standardised for many years, is not implemented nearly as much as it should be) is delivery receipts or delivery status notification; you learn if the mail was delivered. But this doesn't really apply on a forum, because essentially all messages are delivered all the time, i.e. the board guarantees that the mail lands in the recipient mailbox the moment you hit the submit button and you get the success message. Personally I think that's sufficient; once the mail is delivered, it's out of your hands and what the recipient chooses to do with it is really up to them.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-04-18 16:00:57

Hello guys, its been a long time since i updated this topic. I have a question: what new features are enabled when you move from a rank to another? Like, say, from shades of newby to galaxy stranger? Thanks!

2014-04-20 10:07:06

Hello guys, some  questions from me:
How to know which of our posts gets "thumbs up"s? Also, did every user start with 1 user karma? Next, can i set the user karma to not display itself under my details (Those shown in my posts)? Thanks!

Best regards,
Kenzon