2014-03-27 19:15:07

This was going to go in the Games room but I fear the numbers aren't there yet, so it'll be here for now.

I look at the Updates tab in the iOS App Store and am amazed by the nature and number of updates. Yes, I manage 178 apps, but even so, how can there be so many apps? Who runs their desktop with 178 apps in their Applications folder/Start Menu/whatever?

And why on a smartphone or tablet? Is the process of app creation and consumption just inherently more joyful on those platforms or something? Perhaps the real game is the amount of time wasted on such platforms …

Just myself, as usual.

2014-03-28 04:52:12

I think the the process of app creation/consumption isn't any more or less enjoyable, it's just the desktop of this century. Myself, I'm the complete opposite. I have barely anything on my iPhone, but everything in the world on my Mac/Windows-based boxes.

2014-03-28 14:28:32

Well, I'm convinced that the overall effectiveness of smartphone apps is less than that of desktops, for sure, as evidenced by the amount of stuff I do on them (like writing this comment, for example). But perhaps enjoying apps is just as important as using them to do stuff? It seems to me that the friction for iOS apps is vastly lower--no doubt a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy that Apple is working diligently to maintain, even as it maintains two separate platforms which it claims have two different audiences/applications.

Gha, I don't know. But thanks for your perspective. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2014-03-28 14:40:18

I do a lot of things on the web when I'm on a desktop, that I have an app for on IOS.  For example, on IOS: rdio, tunein, mail, my bank, facebook, twitter, songza, audioboo, soundcloud, CBC, youtube, and more. So I think it's that apps on the IPhone are more effective than websites, so we get more apps there, whereas on the desktop it's just all done in Firefox or Safari.

2014-03-28 14:47:51

Interesting thoughts.

One thing I have noticed is that Ios has a lot of smaller applictions with  less functionality. Many games are of the arcade type, and many aps are just intended to perform one single function.

That doesn't mean this is all an Ios platform can do, witness something like Kodp or  Blind Square, however I have noticed that  a lot of Aps tend to be smaller in scope  than desktop programs.

Then again, there is equally the arguement that the two platforms  do have a degree of inherent difference. I would  never write a hugely long and complex document on Ios,  nor would I want to handle a web forum on the system even with my bluetooth keyboard.

I would  also not want to store a huge amount of media  on an Ios device or even on the I cloud system, indeed as I have said before I am less than iimpressed at the way Ios handles media management.

I also personally would not want  films or dvds on an Ios device, or come to that to play graphical gamse, though that is more to do with screen size and lack of my big logitech desktop speakers, (as well as my large dvd collection).

For me the Iphone is exactly as intended. it's a portable device and I do portable device things with it, satnav, games on the go, books and media to carry around etc. I tend to keep aps on the phone that I think will be useful in that context. While it has replaced some of the things (such as reading books or playing games on the train), that I used to carry a laptop around for, it still hasn't replaced my  desktop.

If I want to sit down and watch a bunch of dvds, to play a large collection of random music while I'm cleaning, write anything serious,  choose which author I want to read next or play some games for windows, I use the Pc.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-03-28 17:56:32

@Fastfinge: yeah, I think you must be right; many apps are essentially "Consumerised" versions of websites. But doesn't this just support the notion that iOS is all about friction freedom, rather than productivity? Hmm …

The other thing is the updates. Apple practically begs developers to update early and often, leading to the impression that the pace of app development is far faster on iOS than on other platforms, even on Mac. Is this a reasonable impression, or is it merely that updates are more tolerable on handhelds than on desktops? The sandboxed nature of apps gives them a great advantage in being atomically updated, of course; that's the exception rather than the rule on desktops (Adobe Flash and Dropbox are the only two I can think of, in fact).

@Dark: I can't promise anything, but an iPad may change your impressions. Giving iOS a loud speaker and large surface area finds you wishing that Macs were more like that sometimes. smile I think that if you give iOS enough power, the distinction blurs.

And I agree that many apps are limited in scope, by design, and that this may have something to do with this.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-03-28 18:14:35

I've yet to see an Ipad with a large enough display for my personal visual needs sebi, nor have I seen smaller speakers that can have similar affects to a full 5.1 surround, although you can do as well with the right audio and a decent set of headphones).  though I know the same isn't true for others.

Another major turn off for me in Ios is the lack of a propper filing  system or method of organization. While I know there are some semi usable word processing r programs for example, if I wanted to write a book review, spell  check it, draught a few times then put it onto the site, much less anything more complex such as my phd thesis  I would just not be happy with a system where I couldn't tell where the individual files are or what was happening to them.

Same if I for example wanted to download a podcast, or save a text copy of a gamescript from off the net.

This is also as I said why I don't like Apple's approach to media management at least in Itunes.

While I know there are aps for handling file management and media, often they rely on either jale breaking or interaction with specifically apple software, neither of which is an option I like too much.

Regarding updates though, wel  one thing I have noticed is that ap updates in Ios are often far more miner than program version updates in Windows.

For example, the recent update to smugglers 5          cessession  had a   about 12 different items on the changelog, including things like "many miner  fixes" where the recent update to startraders added a couple of extra achievement and vo support. 

Of course it depends upon the  individual dev. Kodp seems to have pretty major additions and updates, while games that function similarly to browser games such as monster kingdom   have a similar set of constant miner changes by way of odd   small bits of new content.

I suppose it just depends upon the individual developer and how they want to use the service.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-03-29 00:43:40 (edited by Chris 2014-03-29 00:44:31)

Hi.

I agree with the second poster.
I have way more applications on my computer than I do on my mobile devices.
I also find the mac and Windows to be far more powerful than something like the iPhone or android.
However, I have access to both platforms now and it's kind of cool being able to compare the two.
I'm having a hard time finding useful apps for Android and iOS, although I have more applications for iOS.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2014-03-29 02:46:35

Funny  Chris, games and  handy aplictions was exactly what I got an Iphone for. I can't talk about android, but I'm certainly not dissatisfied about the amount say available games for the platform, it's just that there are some tasks which  either the os or hardware make   preferable on a desktop.

2014-03-29 06:44:18

It seems to me that a lot of people use smartphones and tablets as content consumption devices.  Indeed it is possible (I've done it) to write documents on iOS, it can be really tedious if you don't have appropriate hardware.

Some of the things I use my iPhone for: games (Papa Sangre II is amazing), listening to music and podcasts, reading, and occasionally a document.

Dark, it's interesting that you say a lot of iOS apps are small, since I've found the opposite to be true in some cases.  For instance, look at Papa Sangree II.  That's hardly a small app (in functionality and size).  Or BlindSquare, Seeing Eye GPS, and the like – they're all pretty heavy-duty apps.  Regarding the lack of a filesystem, yeah, that's a real turnoff for me in terms of doing serious work on an iOS device, since you just don't know where the hell anything is, where it's going, where it's being backed up (if anywhere), etc.  Increasingly though this is somewhat of a mitigated issue, since lots of apps are becoming aware of Dropbox (and similar services).

2014-03-29 13:38:20

Well Scot, when I said aps were small in scale I didn't mean necessarily all aps, though I have seen lots of shorter arcade style games, or quick single action grinder rpggs, or aps intended to  do one fairly simple if useful task such as act as an efficient  cumpus or  play radio stations.   

Regarding filing, I personally just like having all my files exactly where I know where they are. I have 700 gb of audio books, dramas and music, my singing lessons (that I record), or useful singing backing tracks, all of which I can find in seconds sinse I've indexed and subfoldered them all.

This is why When for example I have done a solo charity performance with backing tracks, putting together a  playlist of stuff is fairly easy.

Likewise, all my  doccuments are heavily organized. I have folders for game walkthrus, for scripts, for my own poetry or serious writing, for notes and time tables etc.

On Ios I just miss the freedom to organize things as I like them, indeed even on post xp  windows I'd miss being able to say have C:\audio or C:\music folders, (why the hell microsoft want to put music in a documents folder I don't know).

this is why while  I have dragooned Itunes  into letting me stick stuff on my Iphone through playlists so that I can listen to books or music on the go, I'd never use the Itunes organization perminantly (and lets not talk about those stupid id tags).

2014-03-29 17:08:31

Well this is all very interesting. I'm off to learn about a few more apps. Are you quite sure you wouldn't like to join me in the "Post-PC" revolution? smile

@Dark: watch out for a much-rumoured "Maxipad". Of course speakers will always be preferable, but having one on the device along with a large screen really emphasises the general computing nature of these things.

And let's not go back to your rants about iTunes media organisation, because we all know you just hate it no matter what. smile I agree it's unfair and a great shame that Apple did not consider the genuine benefits of a separate hierarchy for all apps that is programatically accessible with some sort of permission, or indeed for individual apps that can be accessed remotely using network or cable, but until Apple changes stance there is always Dropbox and various kludgy apps that offer discs as containers or else allow you to import data from other apps to do something (multiple attachments is a clear example of that).

I couldn't find Smugglers on the App Store. I thought that was PC-only?

@Chris: by way of understanding, can you name the sorts of apps that your computer has that you find more appropriate there? Perhaps I'm really just too old to know what's out there nowadays, but I'm increasingly of the opinion that the computer's best feature is the keyboard. smile

Having said that, would I go computer-free? Errr … no. Solidarity is important too. And yes this has a lot to do with existing familiarity, but also with the concreteness of files and file systems, as Dark said above.

In a way, I hope Apple does bring iOS and Mac together. I want them to give Mac the sealed, autonomous nature of iOS containment. And I want them to give iOS the flexibility of a Mac, with alternative app repositories, permission-based access, a user-accessible file system that can be accessed with the user's permission by apps, and extensibility with different kinds of hardware for storage and input. This is not the same thing as trying to shove an inappropriate interface onto devices so that the OS can be reused.

Ah well, I can dream …

Just myself, as usual.

2014-03-29 19:08:15

Hi.

Well, first off I'll say I really, really don't want Apple to turn the macintosh into iOS.
The macintosh is an awesome computer and it is not full of the silly restrictions that Apple puts on iOS.
Sure, you have the stupid Mac App Store which is like the iOS one, but you don't have to use it. You can download applications from other sources.
I'm fine with Apple adding stuff like iCloud integration, just as long as they don't get rid of the finder and lock down the system the way they have with iOS.

As to why I think a computer is better, well I have a few things to consider. Something like a macbook Air or a Windows laptop has a superior processor and memory capabilities than iOS.
For instance, they don't have a 500 gig iOS device.
The keyboard is another reason, although I guess since you can pair a bluetooth keyboard with a mobile device, this isn't a big issue.
Another reason is TTS, although I'm speaking for iOS and I think this is Apple's fault.
I have no idea why Apple restricts voice options on iOS while including tons of voices on OS X. Not only that, but other manufacturers can make TTS voices for OS X while apple rules iOS with an iron fist.
Again, I guess you could say they're trying to protect their devices, but it gets really silly after a while.
Of course, Android is far more flexible than iOS will probably ever be, so it's my best friend along with the mac.
Now, it's not to say I dislike iOS, because I don't.
I just don't understand why Apple feels the need to lock everything down so tightly.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2014-03-29 22:24:45

@Chris: I guess the question you want to ask yourself is: do I have to be afraid of containment?

In theory, with sufficient granularity, you can get a lot of the benefits of iOS, and still have the flexibility. Sandboxing stuff, in and of itself, is not a bad thing and really does provide important security guarantees for the user. Isn't it time our computers got it?

And the appliance nature of iOS is an indisputable win. Now everyone can use a "Computer". Shouldn't we have that on Mac, too?

Of course, you're absolutely right that locking stuff down without giving the user absolute control and understanding by some means is wrong--I would argue, actually unethical. But it doesn't follow from that that sandboxing is inherently evil, and IMHO the Mac could use some of it, to make it a nicer place to do as one wishes, as on iOS. And, in turn, iOS should lighten up a bit.

Just my 2P, as usual. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2014-03-30 00:52:25

Post xp revolution?  in terms of handheld devices and tablets I agree totally. That is actually one interesting fact about Ios, that though there are things I don't like there are some very unique uses wich the hardware such as the touch screen and small size, and the software by way of the Os doing things like location tracking has added, which is why I got an Iphone in the first place. in  terms of desktops, ---- mmmm, maybe not,  which is why I'm still using  and  intend to continue to do so until a better alternative, ie, something that actually  does the things I do with a  computer better comes along. As I've said before I don't tend to care how! it works or what numbers and other rubbish it has, I care what it can do for me.

With Ios I agree that opening the system would be nicer particularly in terms of customizing what software you wanted to do what things on the Ios, and how you wanted to access things, but I doubt apple with change their stance. Security is a bennifit, but it's  of course also a little fringe bennifit that everyone has to pay apple for the privilige of developing or publishing and Apple aren't going to let go of that.

I also personally disagree on the  usability front precisely because! I considder myself a none technical user, but have distinct preferences in how to do things.  useability shouldn't just mean appealing to the lowest common  denominator or effectively telling people to get what  the all mighty   corporation gives them and like it, though unfortunately that is the way things are going in It, ---- and in a lot of the world generally, ---- what ever happened to "The Customer is always right?" big_smile.

As to keyboards, well I agree they will always be used as input devices for  writing and for tasks that require button controls such as a good few types of games. However, the  interface is far easier for sighted users. This was one of my irritations with the Wii where it is the very pointer and menue structure that most users  prise that has killed Vi access in menues for me. For Vi users  keyboards will always be faster at things like finding icons or folders or even browsing menues sinse rather than having to  memorize positions of icons, or flick through a number until you find something, you can always  just hit keys.

That being said, instant informational access is far quicker with a touch screen, for example to read the time on my destkop I'd have to switch to virtual focus, alt tab out of whatever I'm doing and hit ctrl end to go down to the bottom.

I suspect though touch screens are here to stay and I could imagine a time in which keyboards just write and things like hotkeys become a thing of the past, which will be  more  inconvenient for Vi users, though not impossible by any means.