2014-03-18 22:34:45

Hello dear Android smartphone users,
I have an issue with my new smartphone.
Recently I bought "Gigabyte Gsmart Alto a2" with Android 4.2.2 OS installed and there is one big problem with Talkback.
Talkback isn't reading under which key my finger is when typing the text. It only says when i press it, but don't gives any feetback when I'm touching the onscreen keyboard.
Maybe you can suggest me something please?
The phone itself is rather good, I like very much it's dual sim capabilitys, but talking about text typing, it's pain in the...

I'm looking for replies.
Best wishes,
Jonas.

2014-03-19 10:32:42

Hi Jonas.

You might see if there are any updates to the phone. If it'll run Android 4.2.3, you'll have better luck with Talkback. Sounds like your new phone is running a costumized version of Android, which makes some conflicts while using Talkback.
There are a lot of different keyboards you can install. There is a keyboard where you can switch modes by using the volume button on the phone, but I don't remember what the keyboard is called. If the keyboard is the only issue, you can easily replace the keyboard with a more accessible one.
Good luck with your phone, and I don't hope you'll regret your purchase. remember: Most Android phones can be jailbroken and you can install a costumized rom which gives you a totally clean version of Android, which means better accessibility if you have other issues than the keyboard.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-03-19 16:15:56

Hi SLJ.
I installed eyes free keyboard, but it don't works as it should. Also I've tried to look for custome roms, but I don't found any for my phone.
Thanks for suggestions.
And sorry for my bad English.

2014-03-19 17:30:03

Hi! As suggested in an earlier post: try reinstalling talkback! If you can: try searching it from your pc; you'll find it. Then try to reinstall it! Note that you don't have to uninstall it from your device; simply install it as a normal app! I've tryed with my samsung s3 mini and worked fine! It told me that talkback wasn't installed in my phone because there was an older version in my phone! Let me know! Bye for now!

Claudio

2014-03-19 21:45:29

Hi claudiogaranzini.
Can you give me step by step instructions please?
Play store says that talkback is already instaled.

2014-03-19 22:12:30

Hi.

Hmm, what phone are you running? If it's a Samson or HTC phone I think those are really bad in terms of accessibility since the carriers have free rule over what they can put on it.
As for the keyboard, try installing the Google keyboard from the play store and setting it as your default or if you have a bluetooth keyboard you could just pair that and type away.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2014-03-19 22:54:51

Hello Chris.
I bought Gigabyte Gsmart alto a2. That's my phone's nanufacturer and model.

2014-03-20 09:47:10

Hi.
Now I haven't tried that yet on any Android device, but are you sure you have set the Eyes free keyboard as the default keyboard?
I've found something which you might find interesting. Note that I've not tried this myself:
http://blog.blackspheretech.com/?p=219
There are other keyboards out there, but I don't remember what they are called.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2014-03-20 12:11:51

Hello SLJ.
Yes I am sure.
Sadly, I am unable to buy anything because I have no access to my bank account.
Thankyou very much for your help.
Best wishes,
Jonas.

2014-03-20 15:09:35

@Chris, a slight correction. Samsung overlays are actually very accessible and Samsung offers you more accessibility features than google.

Anyway, your manufacturer apparently replaced the keyboard with one that doesn't work as well, but thankfully, you can swap out just about anything in android, keyboard included. While the eyes-fee keyboard doesn't work very well on anything above ice-cream sandwich, there are a few other keyboards which are forks of google's official keyboard code.
The official google keyboard is in the Play Store, but it's available only in a few countries. If it's compatible, install it. If not, try
this or this.
That having been said, my favourite non-google keyboard is Swype, which is made by nuance. It has a much more accessible and better auto correct system and also uses the dragon engine for dictation which is more accurate. The problem, of course, is that it's not free but the link I gave is for a trial so you can try it out.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2014-03-20 18:28:22

Hi.

Hmm, thanks for the correction there.
Still, I'm not buying a samson phone just because they can modify Android as freely as they want and because I've heard that they stop updating their phones and devices really quickly. That, or they're really slow at pushing new Android updates.
So yeah, I'm sticking to my Nexus 7 and pure android.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2014-03-20 19:25:26

Hi guys,
Finally, now I can text without problems, thank you all for advices.
But now I have another problem... I am unable to send messages and I don't know why.
I guess that there are some problems with the message centre number, but I don't know where I can find messaging settings. I tried look for that, but unsuccessfully.
Can somebody help me with that please?
Regards,
Jonas.

2014-03-21 04:44:37

I have a keyboard called Jellbean, or I think its the keyboard. 
Also I was going to ask if you had turned on the Explore By Touch feature on talkback

Have a blessed day. 
Jennifer

2014-03-21 10:06:30

Hi Jennifer,
yes,, the explore by touch feature is turned on. As I wrote, now I can type text, but I am unable to send messages.

2014-03-21 12:06:13

Hi.
Can you give some more details on why you can't send messages? Can you click the send button but nothing happens? Can you make calls?

Best regards SLJ.

2014-03-21 15:14:38

Hello SLJ.
I press the send button, but nothing happens. When I am browsing my messages, I am able to read them all, but it says that is not sent, and there is retry button. By pressing that, situation remains the same.
I am able to make and receive calls without problems.

2014-03-22 05:48:54

I would call your phone provider and talk to them to check to see if there is a text message or data block on your phone service, or just to check out what is going on. 

I know that before I got my smartphone, I had a data block on my phone so that Icouldn't receive spam messages about nightclubs.

Have a blessed day. 
Jennifer

2014-03-22 07:04:46

I like my Android, having recently switched after using an iPhone for three years. Editing typed text was so easy on the iPhone. On Android, I can't tell where the insertion point is, ever, and I can change navigation granularity but I can never remember how to do that. Talkback's gestures are not intuitive at all and often times I have trouble with them.

Anyway, that is why this Jellybean Keyboard attracted me so much! There are two entries for it in the play store. One just says Jellybean Keyboard, listed as free. The other one says Jellybean Keyboard 4.3, also listed as free, both by the same company...so I'm wondering, which one should I get? Maybe the one that says 4.3, but I guess I'll just try both since they're apparently free. I see nothing that says, Pro however, implying that version isn't free, ...so...I'll just play around with this.

The issue of you being unable to send SMS messages definitely sounds like something your cellular service provider will have to take care of.

My opinions are my own. I try not to state them as facts and if I'm not sure about something, I do whatever research I can. I feel everyone should consider doing the same.

2014-03-22 10:05:11

KG4RDF I don't think that is my service provider problem actually
I've had that kind of problems earlyer with my old nokia c5-02 after using other provider. And it was easily fixable because the nokia settings are very clear and intuitive.. I guess I just need to set up my message center number, but I can't find where I can do that.
Thank you all.
Have a nice weekend:).

2014-03-23 07:52:10 (edited by KG4RDF 2014-03-23 08:04:22)

Um, well, since I have no idea what the hell a message center number even is, then I of course can't help any further. Is this something to do with the fact that you're not in the US? Or...am I just Ignorent? LOL?

Anyway, I grabbed the Jellybean keyboard 4.3 and like it so far except that I still cannot double-tap and hold delete to make it clear out an entire edit field. This seems to not be an issue with Samsung phones, maybe because Samsung uses its own keyboard? I don't know. Anyway, my Moto G likes everything else about the Jellybean keyboard just fine. I turned off the settings having to do with typing gestures, figuring that they would be quite problematic with Talkback. If I should reenable them for a better experience, could someone please let me know?

The only other issue I have with Android so far is that there is no way to label buttons! I've posted about that elsewhere on this forum, so I'll end this now.

My opinions are my own. I try not to state them as facts and if I'm not sure about something, I do whatever research I can. I feel everyone should consider doing the same.

2014-03-23 10:05:37

Hi KG4RDF,
I guess all networks has there own message center numbers, but you just have no experience on it.
In all phones message sending settings are set up automatically when you insert a sim card, but sometimes as I now it fails, I need to enter that number manualy.
Maybe that's because my phone can hold up to two sim cards?

2014-03-23 14:58:50

It sounds like there are some accessibility issues in your messages app. You might look for a replacement.

Best regards SLJ.

2014-03-23 15:13:25

Thanks for advices

2014-03-23 21:31:45

@SLJ:

I'm not sure if your post was directed at me or to A Little Gamer, either way...my issue isn't limited to just the messages ap. It refuses to let me hold down delete to clear out an entire block of text in any edit field.

Also, I can't believe I forgot about this! My Talkback speech volume is linked to the music volume. Every time I plug in headphones and want to turn up my speech, the warning about listening to music at high volumes appears and if I can't find and double-tap on the OK button fast enough, the message goes away and I have to make it come back up again. I have searched for ways to disable this and there are several fixes such as rooting your phone and getting some custom modification ap so you can disable the warning. There is also supposed to be a setting under the google music player's settings called Smart Volume, but that is apparently on a Samsung Galaxy S4 running stock firmware because my Moto G doesn't have that option. On the Motorola forums, someone posted that you need to hold down the volume up key at the same time you tap the OK button. Unfortunately, the message disappears too fast for me to do this. Besides, even if I were able to do this successfully and it disabled the warning, it apparently comes back after a device reboot. This is particularly annoying to me because I am totally blind save for light perception and have a moderate hearing impairment. Oh well. I suppose after some more trial and error I'll learn exactly where the OK button is, then I won't even be bothered because I'll be able to get to it quickly and just tap the message away like any normal person would. Haha!

2014-03-24 10:04:38

KG4RDF: Oh, sorry. My message was directted to A little gamer. smile

Best regards SLJ.