2007-04-12 16:22:49 (edited by Brian Bors 2007-04-12 16:23:15)

The introduction topic got me curios. What hobby's do blind people have (besides gaming). Which hobby's are impossible? Which are doable? Do you use special tools? What about sports?

Do you think everything is possible if you put your mind to it and practice hard enough?

2007-04-12 16:47:17 (edited by Shin_Goenitz 2007-04-12 16:48:37)

Hi Brian.
I like wrestling a bit. But I'm not so interested in sports. Things I like though is reading books, listen to black metal, humor, Lord of the rings, and wrestling, as I said earlyer.

V

2007-04-12 16:50:32

And, about the do you think you can do most of things if you're practising-thingy. Not sure, it depends, I think.

V

2007-04-12 16:52:18

I really hate this kind of topics, but I'm still going to reply to this one.

To be short, I don't like sports that much. So my hobbies include tweaking and tuning my PC until it either is blazingly fast or until it's totally screwed up. And I'm doing pretty well: I haven't had that many crashes the last year. In fact I had none.
And further, well, I like to damage my ears, so I keep messing around with audio stuff.

2007-04-12 16:54:09 (edited by DavyKager 2007-04-12 22:40:51)

Weird, when I started typing the above message I was the very first one responding!

2007-04-12 21:46:38

Hi
I love playing around with computers and assistive technology and finding new technology that is interesting to some one who is Geeky such as the Level star Icon. I like audio production and I currently use sound forge. I also love playing music. I sing, play the drums, and play the piano. I also like to read and if the book is good, I can read a whole volume in one day like I've read one volume of the lord of the ring in one day before.

Game Man

2007-04-13 03:59:54

I don't play much sighted sports, but I like to play some blind sports like goleball, and beep baseball
I like to play the drums
but perhaps my second favorate hobby to drumming which is number one is playing audio and video games:
I love playing grand theft auto and I have from grand theft auto three to vice city stories
I know plenty of cheats for each game in my head and I can go around recruiting grnag members, shooting people, and stealing cars, bikes, and boats
its a lot of fun
Does anybody play any video games like grand theft auto or halo?

Connor

2007-04-13 08:26:38 (edited by dark empathy 2007-04-13 08:36:38)

Well to continue from the introduction thread Brian, I actually have a huge list of hobbies.

As a deffinitional point though, I do not considder myself "a blind person" ie, part of a disperate group who can be lumped together under a specific banner. I'm me! the fact that I'm blind is only one aspect of what I do, ----- true, it makes many things harder, and some things impossible, but as far as my actual identity goes, it doesn't make a difference.

to illustrate, when looking around universities, the disabilities adviser at one uni said "why do you want to do philosophy? that's not what blind people usually do" I told him that I was me, not "blind people" and was doing what I dam well wanted.

This isn't to deny the fact, just the emphasis.

Anyway, to get onto my hobbies. I don't play sports, though I do find things like Rock Climbing, cross country skeeing, cycling, Canooing and the like highly fun (and will take up cross country skeeing as soon as I have the time and money), these all require sited assistance, ----- though in something like cross country skeeing the assistance is slightly less than in something like canooing or tandom cycling.

generally, I'm more interested in the feelings of travel and going places than competing, so sports like football, crickit goal ball or whatever don't particularly interest me as much.

I share quite a few interests with people here, such as playing computer games of various sorts, interactive fiction, and reading (my prefered genre is Sf fantasy or horror, but I generally like anything that's got an interesting perspective or is written in a different way, I'm also a fairly mega Hp and Lotr fan).

I also have a fairly serious music interest, with my taste ranging from full orchestral, to progressive rock (I'm a big fan of Film and Anime scores).

I have a very large Dvd collection, and as I said in the other thread, occasionally knick anime from my brother. Quite often, if there are plot details I miss, i find going on the net to look up a synopsis from somewhere like Wikipedia, or a dedicated fan site can sometimes help.

I think the most major thing I do, is sing and perform. I've done occasional one man shows, but I enjoy stage performing more, In particular, I'm a huge Gilbert and sullivan fan and have done some very serious stuf as regards performing in those.

sinse g&S is almost but not quite opera (I really dislike grand opera anyway), a lot of stage related stuff tends to be singing (you physically can't prance about too much and expect to hit some of the notes). But I also use a large amount fo memorization of stage movement, ----- particularly with reference to the music. I also stick a line of tape with a wire undernieth across the stage near the edge so that I can concentrate on performing, and not worry about falling off.

I have just about enough site to follow somebody on and off stage, ----- though if their in a low contrast costume, or moving quickly, this isn't an option and I'll use an inobtrusive contact (such as a hand on the back.

Other random interests of mine include coffee (I grind my own), occasionally going for random wanders around Durham with or without my friends, playing various instruments, composing music and occasionally writing.

being a philosophy post graduate, I also spend lots of time having weerd discussions with my friends, ----- that or watching old episodes of He man! ;D.

as to the Larp point mentioned in the intro thread, generally the Larp I've seen tends to require either combat or at least a good throwing arm, ----- the mage's spells etc for example are represented by chucking balls at one another. Also running around the woods, which might not be so easy. also, while I'm not certain of the idea of playing a blind character either for the reasons mentioned above (though for Larp purposes it might be something I'd considder(.

Sorry about this massive post of doom, but i'm interested in lots of things! and will try just about anything if I can work out a way to do it and have enough energy.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-04-13 11:07:18

to illustrate, when looking around universities, the disabilities adviser at one uni said "why do you want to do philosophy? that's not what blind people usually do" I told him that I was me, not "blind people" and was doing what I dam well wanted.

Brilliant. Now I see why DavyKager hates topics like this one. I should have realized that earlier, and I should stop generalizing.

As for LARP. Our group (over 600 people in Holland) is so massive that their are alway plots and story's going on that do not involve combat. My character can't even fight. He runs away from almost everything. And even than, healers would still be able to heal people without vision. And our magic system doesn't require people to trow anything (they just shout their spell and point to their target). If I were you I would talk to the Game Master of your local group, they might  bend the rules for you, make the game more accessible.

2007-04-13 11:51:42

Hmmm, that's a thought. A friend of mine did actually suggest that i play a bard, sinse I could do all the magic etc with my voice and accordian. That might be a plan, I'll have to look into it.

I'm sorry if I was slightly rude over the generalization issue, it's one of my favourite philosophical wranting topics, not just in terms of disability, but in feminism, nationalism and discussions of prejudice as well.

I'd personally say that all generalizations are always bad, all of the time, ----- grin!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-04-13 15:45:57 (edited by Shin_Goenitz 2007-04-13 15:46:57)

Dark.

Yeah, tandom cycling and canoo riding  is cool! I forgot that.
I also like Skype, talking with friends,joke calling, and there's sure more. Wil post that later.
Fun fact: I really dislike skiing, even though Norway has lots of snow in the winter, at least in Northnorway.

V

2007-04-13 15:48:32

I guess I left somethings out" I like to read books franging from realistic fiction to science fiction or horror
some of my favorites are all of the harry potter books, the adventures of huckle berry fin, and desperation by steven king that was a real good book
really got me scared
on the music perspective, I love classic rock and like jaz
but on a classic rock note, some of my favorate artists are the doors, the rolling stones, deep purple, and boston
does anybody like classic rock too?

Connor

2007-04-14 07:20:00

Hmmmm, if I understand the genre of music you mean, I do like a few from that period, ----- though mostly I'm a beetles fan.

2007-04-15 02:22:30

Dark Empathy
yeah the Betles are good they have some really good songs

Connor

2007-04-15 15:37:32

yeah andy you do that

Connor

2007-04-15 19:56:19

Lucy in the sky with diamonds is ok.
Well CJ, Deep Purple is good. They are actually heavy metal. I'm a huge! fan of black metal.   I like bands such as Dimmu Borgir, Satyricon, Emperor, Mayhem and such.
Speaking of books. My favorite is the Lord of the rings trilogy. The best books I've ever read!

V

2007-04-15 20:37:54

shin,
I didn't know that deep purple was heavy metal but I didn't really read lord of the rings, but I did read the Hobet
anyway, I would have to say that my number one favorit of the betles would have to be "let it be"
I don't know if that was the betles or paul mecartney
can someone tell me which one it was? thanks

Connor

2007-04-16 10:04:50

Don't worry Dark, I don't think your or DavyKager his post was rude.

As for books, the Discworld (Terry Prachet) series is my favorite for the moment.

2007-04-16 16:24:19

@CJ
I think it was The Beatles.

V

2007-04-16 17:21:17

Ah thanks Brian. I've unfortunately met too many people in philosophy who go ballistic when discussing various issues, which certainly doesn't help the discussion.

Diskworld is indeed very humorous, but I don't find I can read the books more than once, as the second time through they're just not too interesting to me, whereas I make it a point to reread Lotr once every couple of years, ----- in fact for my 18th birthday my parents got a wedding ring engraved with the appropriate rhyme in "the speech of mordor" which i now wear on my right hand, ----- it's! our birthday presesent my precious!

then, I don't know how many times i've reread the Hp books, even book six I've reread about four times just to get all the twists and turns of the plot firmly in mind.

2007-04-16 21:57:21

I am a very big hp fan! I have book 1, 2, 6 in braille! Alotta volumes!! I like computers, mixxing, DJIng, and of course audio games!!!

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-04-17 13:53:46

Some additional stuff about me then. I've all HP-books (for my HP Deskjet and Scanjet). No, I meant the Harry Potter books, I've them all as audiobooks (that's 80 CDs). And man, I like doing strange kinda DJ things either.

2011-10-31 04:40:07

um, it is a spammbot?
if so, it is very inteligent (often spammbots are not, but it is)

This is not a signature.

2011-10-31 09:40:51

I don't know. That's confusing. And, I play sports and I am fully blind.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-10-31 10:20:39

Yes a spambot, amazing it resurrecting this very old topic.