2014-01-31 20:16:12

Okay, I launched steam. Then I find the game in my library. And I tried to launch it and I get the following error. Steam error failed to start game missing executable. See the steam support side for more information. Okay button. I click on this and of course it exits. What should I do? Thank you again in advance.

2014-01-31 20:28:08

This is something i can see first time.  Try to reinstall skullgrls and see what will happen.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2014-01-31 21:14:54

Fastfinge, please take your ideas to the general boards or something. It's really not doing you any good here, nor us. You're just further upsetting the people who wish to support the developer who has continued to show his commitment to his audience. If you're not going to talk about skullgirls then there's no reason for you to be on this thread. The people who  have played skullgirls think you're wrong, otherwise they wouldn't be playing it, and there's a 99.99 percent chance of you not being able to convince us that we should stop playing this awesome game.
SO,
PLEASE,
KINDLY,
G,
T,
F,
O,
that's all in caps FYI in case you didn't bother to check.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2014-01-31 21:21:03

@sneak: This discussion is entirely about skullgirls, and its accessibility or lack thereof.  Just because you don't agree with a point of view gives you no right to ask that it be censored. Nor does it make it appropriate for you to ask me to "get the fuck out" on a public forum. Please consider growing up.

2014-01-31 21:23:16

actually, this thread is about skullgirls, you're ranting is about steam's acccessibility. Skulllgirls once the actual game takes over, is accessible.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2014-01-31 21:55:28

@sneak: But getting there is only sort of accessible, sometimes, with hackish work-arounds.  If I said to a person in a wheelchair, "My building is fully accessible, accept for the 11 stairs you have to climb to enter the building!" that just wouldn't make my building fully accessible.  So any reviews of the wonderful things inside my building would absolutely involve the entryway.  In this metaphor, steam is the entryway with the stairs, and skullgirls is the building.  My original post was intended to agree with @Blindjay in pointing out that the title of this topic is somewhat inaccurate. Then everyone else decided that I was sent straight from hell and should be crucified. I have spent the rest of my posts justifying my original position, and wiping the shit that everyone is throwing in my face out of my eyes.

2014-01-31 22:12:40

@fastfinge Sneak described exactly what I meant to say to you.. You have your right to disagree with steam accessibility, but please create your own
topic to discuss it.. Because you're breaking the discussion of skullgirls itself. Imagine that you decide to go to the movies with friends.
You arrive there. There's lots of people watching the movie when suddenly you decide to use your iPhone to play a game, check messages or just talk
loudly.[everything without headphones].  I don't have to tell you what's going to happen, right?
Just apply the same idea to this topic.

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2014-01-31 22:22:01

At Fastfinge: You know, there is an interesting state of mind that humans experience when the conditions are right. People have wondered about this state of mind for centuries, and asked themselves how they might achieve it. The state of mind some might call, fun. That's right my good sir, it's called fun. Whether we throw money away by drinking boos at a bar and call it fun, or spend thousands on fancy cars to drive down back roads at hundreds of miles an hour only to crack our skulls open later, hell, some folks just have fun doing it. Whether a blind person spends money on certain video games that may or may not be accessible, is still fun, just for the experience of playing that game. Honestly, i don't think valve, microsoft, or google give a damn how you have your fun, as long as you spend a little money here and there to put some money in there pockets. My point here is, who the hell cares how we have fun! You can stand on your mountain of bitterness and complain to the masses for all the little good it will do you. Quite frankly man, your attitude just pisses me off because you have the audacity to try and rein down your negativity on a good comunity who doesn't care how they game, as long as they get some enjoyment out of it. Why you feel the need to tell blind people how to be good blind people and not support mainstream companys because you have beef with them is quite frankly unpopular in this good group of people. I'm almost to the point where i'm wondering if your simply a troll. The guy to jump in the middle of a civil topic and start crap because it makes you feel better some how?

2014-01-31 22:22:53

@drg: The topic did stray a little, but I started discussing steam in relation to skullgirls, and all of my substantive posts on the matter (esp. in reply to @robjoy and @aaron) have been in relation to both skullgirls and steam.  But you are correct that when I post my draft petition requesting the minimal changes from valve (audio CAPTCHA to create an account, checkbox in the installer for screenreaders to add the required settings during install, and I think that's all) that will make the Windows version of Steam at least minimally accessible (as in can be installed and operated without OCR or sighted help) to get feedback before creating it on change.org, it will be time for a new topic.

I will also agree that now we aren't even discussing skullgirls or! steam, but instead the topic is becoming a discussion about what we're discussing, and this is getting silly.

2014-01-31 22:26:19

@arqmeister: If I were, I'd have to have been hiding it since 2010. In fact, I've been a member of this community for longer than you have.  The difference is that at least some of those examples of fun, it could be argued, don't harm others.  As for the incivility, I only give as good as I get, and I never start anything.

2014-01-31 22:34:34

You're right fastfinge. We should totally boycott this developer's game. He's gone through all this trouble to make his game as acccessible as he can within a short period of time, and has been quite successful. However, steam refuses to make their client more user friendly. I've sent them a shit ton of emails requesting that their developer''s put in more accessibility and all of them have been replied with a resounding "FUCK YOU BLINDY! NEVER HAHAHAHA!". This behavior is unacceptible, and must be delt with. I move that we never use steam ever again! This will force them to make their client's more accessible! If we stan together they'll never see a single cent out of our pockets, and then they'll see what they're missing out on! I don't know why they would, as they support video games that use visuals that cater to a majority of the populous of the world, but hey  who am I to argue with illogical ideas.

2014-01-31 22:40:26

Sneak, have you played SG already? If not give me a shot when you'll willl and if can i add you on steam!

Cheers

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2014-01-31 22:41:01

Allow me to apolagize for that last post, i lost my head a little there. If you don't agree with people that's fine, but clearly many people don't agree with you, so be it. I'm a little uncertain of how to proceed, as a report was filed complaining about this topic getting out of hand. Fastfinge, i would suggest you lightly step out of this topic, and keep your oppinions to your self today, as the issue is clearly revolving around your stance. If you do stay in the topic, just understand that your stance is not widely supported, and keep it civil.

2014-01-31 22:45:30

I have! I just got it last night and stayed up untill 6 AM playing lol. I got to the end of story mode with squigly, and I got to marie with a few other characters, but she's an asshole! Like for reals! lol. She has this specp that sends you flying to the other side of the stage unless you block it and they can come in high or low or mid and her last form is in the air so you can only hit her with high attacks.    I had classes at 9 so it was pretty harsh, but I managed! Anyway, my user name on steam is sneakyer! The jerk faces already took sneak, and sneaky, so I had to out do them out of spite tongue.

2014-01-31 22:49:04

@sneak: I have sent a number of emails and made some support calls, but they all end up either at a call centre that hasn't a clue, or getting an automated reply.  So Yeah, that's basically a "Hahahaha never!" if ever I heard one.  And please go and reread my point to @robjoy about the difference between LabZero and Valve.  LabZero has done everything they can. The fact that Steam is still awful isn't their fault.  The fact that they won't sell the game outside of Steam is understandable.  If we stop purchasing the game, Valve may begin to feel pressure both from friendly developers like LabZero who want to help us, from us, and from other sympathetic allies.  If we do nothing and continue to let Valve have their 30 percent, things will never change for the better in Steam, but they *will* surely get worse.

2014-01-31 22:53:00

@arqmeister: No problem. We all lose it sometimes. I know I've been reported before, and I will probably be reported again.  I'm passionate about every opinion I have, because if you don't have passion, what's the point of having an opinion?  But this can often turn me into a bit of a lightning rod.  I'm working on extricating myself from this topic as it is; nobody has any new points to make, nobody is willing to give a reasonable, civil, or well thought out response to any of my points, and I don't have much else to say on the subject.  So other than responding to questions directed at me, I'm pretty much done here.

2014-01-31 22:56:33

That's deffinatly not a hahaha never! That's getting people who haven't had any experiences dealign with accessibility issues, which if you're working in a mainly visual world that deals with, video games, then the idea of a blind person wanting to play video games, and then calling you and asking can you make this more accessible for blind people because blind people want to play video games may come as a bit of a surprise because they never even thought about it. You say that pressure from the developer of skullgirl would pressure steam into making a more accessible client, well consider this. If people had taken your route, that is never use steam and keep bitching because they refuse to make things accessible. Skullgirls would have never even became as accessible as it has.

2014-01-31 23:19:21

@sneak: I am familiar with how advocacy works, thank you very much.  And the only company that was worse to deal with than Valve was AOL.  Even in large gaming companies like Sony, EA, or Nintendo, you can at least eventually find a human to speak with who works on products and understands what you're talking about. They aren't willing to do anything, of course, but at least you know you've made someone in middle management vaguely aware of the issue, and maybe laid some groundwork.  If you can find any human at all at Valve who will speak to you, and isn't just a minimum wage employee reading a script at a call centre, you are a better man than I.  Or woman, as the case may be. I mean you're a better woman than I am a man, not that I may be a woman. Ah, you know what I mean. 

The problem with Skullgirls is that I'm having trouble understanding why I should rejoice that I can now give Valve 30 percent of the money that LabZero deserves, for an accessibility failure like Steam.  If I could give LabZero all the money, and skip steam, I would be celebrating with everyone else.  But I can't, so I'm not.  And I won't give Valve one thin dime for the services they provide, like making it difficult to play the fully accessible game I just purchased. And I don't think anyone else should either.  The fact that LabZero gets caught in the crossfire, when all they were trying to do is good, is really sad and unfair. But life isn't fair.  The only good things that could come from this in my mind are that Valve feels some pressure and improves things, or that LabZero learns that Steam is stopping them from making a fully accessible game and can find a human being at Valve to complain to.  I'm convinced that media articles, and topics like this, that give the impression that steam is now fully accessible to the blind, are bad for us, bad for developers, and in the long run even bad for Valve themselves.

2014-01-31 23:33:21

@Fastfinge: The problem is that those in the blind community who play mainstream games are a really insignificant part compared to the millions of sighted people.
Even if it's a few thousand, it will not make any difference, because it is just 3-4 per cent of the population that'd actually play games on Steam. By not using their service, we are definitely not putting pressure on them.
The same happened to Apple, and possibly Google. Without the accessibility law, and being sued a couple times, I'd be very interested to see how accessible their OSes would be.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2014-01-31 23:43:30

@robjoy: Perhaps. But I think that accessibility laws internationally have changed enough that the public awareness of accessibility issues is large enough that we would get decent levels of media support, and support from other members of the gaming community, if we started a campaign to carefully advocate for minimal changes.  Also, a growing number of programmers are getting accessibility experience via Google and Apple platforms, so they are more understanding, and more likely to be helpful to us in a campaign to get Valve to give them the tools they need to make their games accessible.  Lastly, the accessibility laws have been in effect long enough that I'm sure the lawyers at Valve are at least aware that getting sued is a risk.  The keys would be that we would *all* need to participate in this movement with one voice, and we would need to make it clear that the changes are small enough they would not affect gaming for sighted players.  Based on the hostile, negative, immature, and divisive nature of the discussions in this thread, I don't believe that the blind gaming community can come together strongly enough to make this movement a reality.  Based on what the community has expressed its overall opinion to be, I firmly believe that mainstream gaming accessibility will only get rapidly worse, not improve.  Members have made it clear that they're willing to just take whatever they're given, no matter how difficult or incomplete. So difficult and incomplete is all we as blind gamers are ever going to get from the mainstream.

2014-02-01 00:01:16

Hi, did anyone get my previous post regarding The error that I'm having with the executable not being found? I hope I can get this fixed. I really really want to play the game!

2014-02-01 00:06:22 (edited by death 2014-02-01 00:07:30)

I think all you have to do is reinstall the game.
Also I just want to point out that even if all the blind people in all the world stood up and screamed naked from the rooftops, developers wouldn't care. In the end it comes down to money, and people just aren't willing to put the effort in to make there games accessible barring a few exceptions.

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.

2014-02-01 00:07:37 (edited by stewie 2014-02-01 00:09:51)

I find it vaguely amusing that you find steamn an accessible medium that requires a number of "hacks" to get around.

How is using the barely accessible Steam application any different than doing the following:
1: Purchasing a ps4 or x box for a large amount of money, with no voice support in the slightest apart for voice commands
2: Taking the time to set it up with sighted assistance
3: Asking for sighted help or reading a number of guides on menu memorization.
4: Asking for sighted help if your looking for a game from the x box or ps4 game store
5: Using your IDevice to access the store, or using your computer to access the store to use the functions on an entirely different console

The Steam application is usable, I was able to set it up in about half an hour (their website is evil).

Boycotting a developer's work due to an intermediary company seems ridiculous. It would be the same as refusing to pay for a game due to the fact that you are playing the game via a Microsoft console.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2014-02-01 00:09:28

Hey shawn, did you ever tell it to download in the first place? You will get the game in your start screen, just navigate to it route your mouse to the skull girls, then right click it should pop up a menu that says something like install play view achievements view changes view forum, you'll want to make sure that it doesn't say install at the top. if it does, go ahead and right clik on that, make sure to curser in a few times so the mouse is directly on it. also, make sure the steam window is maximized. Sometimes not all of the buttons are viewed due to it being such a small window. so yeah. hope that helps.

2014-02-01 00:12:05

yeah, and I realized just last night that you don't even need the OCR, you can just use the vertual cursers and it's fine. It reads everything, you curser over to what you want to click on, route the mouse right or left click and blam done.