2007-04-01 18:46:27

Hi,

Does anyone here play pokemon on the gameboy or ds? And, are you totally blind? I can do it, it just takes a bit of exploring and such. I'm just curious, what's pokemon stadium like? Is it easy? And what about super smash bros mele for the game cube, also pokemon colacium? Are these somewhat accessible?

thanks-
Tyler

(I own pokemon stadium 1, but are not sure what the options are in the pokemon lab...can anyone tell me them, with a bit of a description please?)

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2007-04-02 01:13:03

You've come across one of my embarrassing secrets. I am a self-styled master! Hehehehe.

Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Stadium 2 are fairly accessible, yes. The announcer, while repetitive, is quite accurate. If you can manage battles in RBY/GSC, you can manage battles in Stadium or Stadium 2. A few things of note, however:
1. Rental pokemon. These have levels, stats and movesets that a sighted person would have to tell you or that you would have to figure out by experimentation;
2. Held items. Much as in GSC and onward, that particular feature isn't totally blind-friendly, even if the games themselves are. You may need a little sighted help if you want to equip x pokemon wity y type of item.
3. Mini-games; I don't believe any of these are truly accessible, except MAYBE one or two.
4. The library; this involves "lectures" that scroll across your screen and then questions you have to answer, not to mention trainer fights that are a little more specific. A little sighted help is required if you don't want to tear your hair out.
5. Your room; as in the GSC games, it's useless if you can't see.

A few observations about pokemon in general, on handheld consoles for playing: it seems that they get more and more accessible as they're released. RBY, for instance, required you to know precisely where and when to use most HMs (Surf, Strength, Cut), and was rather tedious late-game...not to mention that the safari zone's a pain in the tail. GSC's only true hangup is the Ice Path, where you slide about on ice and sometimes have to push boulders around on ice, and you're not told when you're sliding. Even a simple whirring sound while sliding would probably have been close to enough. The 3rd generation on the GBA (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald), are even better yet. There are some small issues you might need help with (such as a turnstile puzzle in the sixth gym or maybe a teleporter puzzle in the eighth, and definitely the cracks in the floor going up the Sky Pillar), but I managed to beat that one with the least help of all. Every pokemon has itss own cry, generally speaking (even if some, like Machamp and Slowbro for instance, are similar); attacks make different sounds (the better the generation, the more definition these get). The items menu is a bit of a pain (for this reason I often over-train so I don't need potions or other items in a pinch), and stats/personalities (personalities in advance generation only) are also somewhat annoying. Overall though, the console games are fairly good. The Stadium games involve virtually no explanation and as I said: if you can play the consoles, you can play the Stadium games with little difficulty. I've beaten the second one, am still working on the first one. Which reminds me...that Juggler has to die! Stupid Horn Drill!

Now, as for Pokemon Colosseum on the Gamecube? I'm not 100 percent sure but I don't believe it's accessible, because you don't make a sound when you bump into walls and battles, though not real-time, are slightly more involved. Besides, there are puzzles and such. I'm not totally sure on that one, however.

I'm waiting to see how accessible Diamond and Pearl are. I've mainly jumped off the fan-wagon (if I was ever on it) because they just keep screwing with things (GSC was my favourite generation, and to this day I have a competitive L100 team that hasn't yet lost, and I've been in some mighty hairy fights)...but I'm curious to see what they will have done, both accessibility-wise and difficulty-wise.

I hope I was of at least some help.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-04-02 02:39:33 (edited by timberwolf1991 2007-04-02 02:40:40)

Hi!

Can you email me, msn me, you really, really sound like you know what your talking about!

[email protected]

Well, actually, I need sited help getting from one city to another- but, now that I know you did it (and a friend of mine...well, I haven't met him in rl, but he sounds nice enough) I'm gonna try and do it myself, lol. Anyhow, in stadium, I remember one thing- the c buttons and how they chose pokemon according to the first, second, and third in the list, what was the order again? Btw, I heard with the rental pokemon (on stadium), it goes in pokedex, order, fro example, at the top would be vovbisore, then, go right ivysore, veenasore. Go down, charmander, charmellian, charezard- etc. Btw, do you know where an easy-to-use poedex is on the internet? And, are the cries of pokemon different on stadium than on any of the gameboy games?

thanks

2007-04-02 02:41:45

Man, I look like a horrible speller. Sorry, I'm stuck with jfw 7.0 and IE 7.

2007-04-02 11:20:09

99.5 percent of games are inaccessible, and this is especially true of adventure games, sports games and action games (like shooters). Pokemon Stadium and Stadium 2, being more strategy type games with little true interaction, are fairly accessible.
The cries of pokemon on the stadium games are slightly more "real" versions of their cries in the GBC games. Also, if the announcer is turned on, you'll hear him say something like, "Here's a pokemon change...Oh! It's Tyranitar!"
A word of caution, however: if you think the fights in some of the pokemon games are hard, you ain't seen NOTHING yet!

Oh and...as I said, the only place I had trouble with in GSC was the Ice Path. Everything else is possible, though it sometimes gets tedious (the rocket basement is a little tricky). The trick I find is to follow a wall/border and hope for the best. If it's not working, try something else. *lol*

2007-04-02 15:30:06

i've played it, and it is great, ithiink both games are playable for blind people after some experiment, exploring and trying.

I live to crochet!

2007-04-02 19:22:45

well i've heard my friend play the pokemon on the gameboy thing and it was quite cool and stuff. haven't played it myself though.

2007-04-02 21:23:43

I remember, back in the old days, I played pokemon Silver and Pokemon Crystal for the gameboy color. It was a bit accessible, but I prefer fighting games for the PS2.

Andy, if your using a Gamecube, try Soul Calibur II or Super Smash Bros Melee. They are very accessible, espesually SCII!

V

2007-04-02 21:57:48

Soul Caliber's a little harder because ambient sounds aren't so good. You can do wall and ground combos and stuff, and unless you can see or know the layout of arenas, it's difficult. I have played it, and I'm competent, but I'm better at, say, Mortal Kombat: Deception.

2007-04-02 23:36:16

I love the tekken games! How does super smash bros maylay for gc compare with the n64 version? I have a gc and was just curious, since I have s.s.b for n64, (currently not functioning propperly).
Also, with the n64, I find the following games accessible:

MRC racing (announcer says, "machine selection, track selection, hard left/right curve, a fork in the road soon, etc).
excitebike 64 (stunt mode only), announcer speaks the stunts you do.
1080 snowboarding (fun fun fun! Get a copy! stunt mode is sooo fun! announcer says all the modes, and what tricks you do)
pokemon stadium 1 and 2
Hrm, there are a few more. Most of the games are far and few between- and most if not all listed above have some quirk that putts memorization to the test; for example, in excitebike, you go down 3 on main menu, a, down once more, a, a, select character, a, a, then, your in stunt mode. And in MRC, with the engine sounds, it can be hard to hear the announcer.

I was just playing tekken  5 for the ps2. How do people memorize the modes, and how are the characters for all the games (in arcade history, for example, ) and on tekken 4, and 5, too??

Oh yeah!

I remembered another game for the n64. Hey you pikachu!

Btw, since you play mk: deception, how in the world are you getting through quest mode?

thanks-
Wolfie

2007-04-03 03:45:51

We don't do quest mode with MK games, though for Deadly aliance they did a farly good FAQ of it on GameFAQs.

2007-04-03 05:04:55

You can believe it or you can laugh, but I actually beat DA's quest mode thingy without the help of FAQs. I did this by playing hours upon end with every character and memorizing the sound and speed of each strike. I failed god knows how many times, but eventually got the picture. A couple times asked for sighted help if I just couldn't seem to get something. Deception's quest mode is non-accessible.
I've never been fond of Tekken. I might if I could play it more, but it sounds to me as if a lot of attacks sound the same...though it was an older one I played.
Another few games for the N64 that are accessible: Mortal Kombat 4, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Killer Instinct Gold (my pride and joy, as I am literally unstoppable with Glacius). Favourite combo: fierce punch+cold shoulder+fierce kick+liquidize-uppercut+arctic slam (9 hits - 61 percent damage and it can't be combo-broken because no linkers are used).
We're wandering off topic here a little though. *lol*

2007-04-03 22:02:18

I'm totally agree with you about the Soul Calibur thing, Jayde. But SC3 is a bit better on ambient sounds, but not as good as MK though!

I too, personally love Mortal Kombat. I'm planning to get Armageddon soon!

And you are also right with the Tekken thing. I have tried/have all the games, and most of the attacks sounds simular.

V

2007-04-04 00:15:57

Wo, I used to have killer instinct; could never get glaciouses moves! Love jado, though.

Nod, mk 4 and triligy are accessible, for me at least, until I die which usually happened within the first four stages. I love using jacks, )(down plus punch).

2007-04-04 03:27:19

Put it this way. I didn't need sighted help to get my wicked pokemon teams uploaded onto my Stadium 2 cartridge and then to whip the game with them, and I don't need help in any fighting game.

If you can get Jago's moves in Killer Instinct, you should be able to get Glacius's easily. I will note, however, that Jago, Orchid, Kim-Wu and Tusk are all functionally nearly identical where move combos are concerned. Then comes Fulgore, in a class mostly his own; then comes Glacius and Spinal (though not identical, they're close); then come Sabrewulf and Maya, again almost identical. T.J. Kombo is in a class all his own because almost every one of his moves involves a charge forward or charge back, and he has no fireball.

2007-04-04 04:07:52

I miss killer instinct. But, anyway:

1. Soul calibar (sorry, dunno how to spell it). Anyhow, what is it? a fighting game?
2. Has anyone seen my above question? heh, sorry...what is the difference, access-wise, between super smash bros. maylay and super smash bros (between the gamecube and nintendo 64 versions)?

thanks

2007-04-04 12:13:18 (edited by Shin_Goenitz 2007-04-04 12:14:34)

Hi.
The Super Smash Bros Melee has more characters and functions, I think.  Speaking of Super Smash, it will be a new Super Smash game for the Wii, called "Super Smash Bros: Brawl.

Yes, Soul Calibur is a fighting game. You fight with weapons, and it's developed by Namco, the same developer who developed Tekken. You can be Yoshimitsu there, too. And if you have the PS2 version of Soul Calibur II, you can be Heyhachi as well.

V

2007-04-04 12:37:19

i unlocked hayhatchi on s9oul calibur 2.
jade: how! do! you! do! combos!
once when playing kikller instinct i did a combo but don't remember it. i don't know, but i think it was either me or the computer, but one combo was an ultimate combo.
and now, onto mortal kombat. i'm actually getting armageddon. my dad ordered it the other day and hopefully by next friday it will be here. or tomorrow or something. i have deadly allience and deception. don't know how to spell allience though.
i beat conquest mode with sighted help on da, gaining access to blaze and mokap. but, do they have fatalities?
and perhaps this topic should be changed, i don't know what the new name could be though. it's discussion of mainstream games though, no longer just pokemon.

2007-04-04 14:01:35

Well, shin..er, not sure how to spell your name, but its arly here, so I don't have much time.

Do you know if super smash bros: maylay nd super smash bros  gamecube and n64 versions I mean. How do they differ in accessibility? I remember playing super smash bros, and it was more for fun- but it worked. HOw is it on the gamecube?
Hmmm, I've got a transfer pack- peraps it might be worth looking at buying pokemon stadium and stadium 2, and a new super smash bros for n64, as my current version is down and out- played out, you could say. Anyway, I can't wait to grab those games, ah, the memories wink

2007-04-04 16:19:56

The accessibility of the two SSB titles is comparable but not exactly the same. My experience with Melee is limited. I've beaten the first title, although I have trouble with Metal Mario and some trouble with Master Hand. I'm probably best with Kirby. SSB isn't fully accessible in either case though, because enemy movement and attacks are hard to detect and the environment is 3d.

Aaron: combos really aren't that hard. I'll give you an example of a basic combo for Maya (she's one of the easiest). Note that you do each button combination fairly fast,  but evenly, and I'll put each separate move in brackets:
(back+forward+medium kick) - quick punch - (back+forward+Medium Kick) - quick punch - (back+fforward+back+quick punch)

2007-04-04 16:22:48

Sorry, that end is supposed to read (forward+back+quick punch), I've got an extra "back" in there. Now, that combo will do twelve hits and is a little more complex than others, so here's an even easier one for Sabrewolf, seven hits:

(back+forward+medium kick) - quick kick - (back+forward+fierce punch).

Sorry, I get carried away at times, as evidenced by the killer combo from Maya. Those sorts of things come naturally to me.

As for the person asking whether or not it's worth it to get stadium and stadium 2? I'd definitely say so. It'll improve your team-building and team-using strategy, if nothing else. You haven't been truly frustrated till you try and beat Little Cup in round 2!

2007-04-04 18:57:18

Hi.
I have never tried the original Super Smash, but I have tried Melee a hundred times. It's not as accessible as say, Soul Calibur and Tekken. But I have beaten it some times. I love using Donkey Kong and his down+B move!!
And Aaron, in Soul Calibur II, you have Heyhachi from the start.
Damn lucky you! I actually saw after it in the game shop today, but they didn't have it. So I bought WWE Smackdown VS. Raw 2007 instead.

V

2007-04-04 18:59:04

What? I didn't wrote some times. I wrote a hundred.

V