2014-01-08 00:14:21

i got a error when i wanted to enter route 3.
i'll post it below:

of  Step Event2
for object TrainerPerson:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get -1.trainerno(100680, -1)
at gml_Object_TrainerPerson_Step_2
############################################################################################

hth

greetz mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2014-01-08 01:08:41

Also not sure if someone already brought this up for the most recent download but when try to toss an item asks what pokemon to use it on then crashes.  And the thing with Daisy and the town map's still not working but pretty sure that's already been said.
Jackie

2014-01-08 14:31:18

hi, when I want to get the map from the rival's house, it has a code error.
can you fix it?

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2014-01-08 18:13:59 (edited by daigonite 2014-01-08 18:18:32)

Hi I'm busy, just started working full time this week, but I will investigate these issues when I have time. It depends on when I get home. Thanks for the updates although I would recommend refraining from posting the same error that someone else has, if only because it makes looking for the reported bugs a bit easier.

I updated the file in the link again on Tuesday Morning, so if you haven't played an updated version, please do, because I did address the route 3 issue (and I think I patched the Daisy issue too but let me know if it still doesn't work).

I haven't seen the toss issue, what item were you tossing? The only items (I think) you should have are TM 03 Curse, Potion, Poke Ball, Antidote, Parlyz heal.

Something tells me it's TM03 Curse but I need verification. You should not be allowed to toss TM03 Curse. Also is it a quantity issue? i.e. only happens after you recieve TM 03 Curse from Brock.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2014-01-08 21:46:02

hi rachel

i still got the same error for daisy. below the error log i got:

of Key Press Event for <Enter> Key
for object MapDaisy:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get -1.townMaptable(100666, -1)
at gml_Object_MapDaisy_KeyPress_13
############################################################################################

hth

greetz mike

p.s will now try route 3

Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:

2014-01-08 21:50:34

I just tested the updated link, it looks like it wasn't updated. I thought I did but looks like I didn't, sorry guys. I'll try to compile a new version tonight with the TM03 fix added.

TM03 can be tossed if you have a pokemon in your party. But it divides by 0 because you don't have any pokemon if you try to toss it then, that seems to be the origin of that glitch, so I'll fix that before updating the link.

I'll also post the link's address again so you guys don't have to search for it.

2014-01-08 22:16:55 (edited by pelantas 2014-01-08 22:18:38)

edit:
applogies forposting this. i didn't saw your reply till i wanted to read this reply. i am awaiting the new version. good work.
/edit

hi again rachel

i just walked inside route 3 and i got the same error:

of  Step Event2
for object TrainerPerson:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get -1.trainerno(100680, -1)
at gml_Object_TrainerPerson_Step_2

could it e that the link you provided in post 53 hasn't been updated? if the game has been updated it seems to give me the older version.
when you made a new release could you please post the link in the first  post of this topic?

could make searching a lot easier.

hth

greetz mike

2014-01-08 23:19:37

Hay again!
Rachel, I just finnished playing the 0.13 update.
aside from the gym music glitch, I've noticed a few other things.

in reffrrence to the music glitch, if you walk out of the gym while the intro is playing, the rest of the song doesn't start; in fact no music plays until I go into a pokemart or senter or go back into the gym.

Either I don't know the key combonation, or the music volume change doesn't work.

the end of turn report seems to turn on and off randomly.
I turned it off to see what it did in a wild battle, and when I enterd a trainer battle it was on again.
Later; in, say version 0.50 or something the end of turn report could be made to only report things that changed.
so for example, if my Pokemon's helth only went down in the last turn, I don't need to be told that it has 20 out of 20 hp in this turn, as I already know that from last turn's report. And, if I do forget, I can just check the status with the keystrokes.

Also, the sounds for people and such can be a henderence sometimes.
With a lot of people and dorrs the sound field can get vary busy.
When you first enter a town it can help to know where things are.
But it would be nice to be able to; say, have the game point out just the pokemon center or something.

Brock doesn't idintify himself when you walk up to him.
I just had to press enter and hope I was talking to him.

Now that I've heard the music clearly, it sounds like you're using the recordings from the firered super complete soundtrack.
If you like, I can loop all of the songs from my .gbs file to remove the echoes.
I just wish you could feed .ogg files directly to gms because I'm making loops for Adventure at C for a stage I'm making and they all work perfectly as .ogg files.
If you like, I can send you a few samples so you can test them in your project.

Using the recordings from the soundtrack could become a problem seeing as Nintendo is releasing the fireread super complete collection; that contains the gameboy originals; on itunes sometime this year; or, so they've reported.

you've provided documentation with most of your releases, but it might be good to include it on the game's main menu so all people can find out the controls.

I know you were entering this in a hurry; and it was only ment as a place-holder, but some of your intro text is not right.
..."Your own vary Pokemon journey"... and ..."let go!...
also I think you put prefessor instead of professor.

Thanks

Ps; When you were writing the descriptions for the pokemon, what are you basing them on, consept art or 3d moddles?
I just wander because it doesn't seem like some of the details you talk about could be shown in first-gen sprites.

Also; some of the details might not be known by all blind people; such as porygon looking like an early cg moddle from a 90s game. for exampel.
Sorry, I don't remember the exact wording.
Yes, I know the way you described it is probably the only way porygon could be described, I'm just letting you know.
But don't feel to bad though, DVS, the people that make movies accesible to the blind; sometimes do the same thing with their descriptions.
I've used v0.0.9 to test all descriptions except for the four pokemon that have to be traded to evolve.

Also, blind people get almost everywhere using cumpas directions, so if using just one sound to point out the gym for example you could have the game say somethin like
"the gym is north-east of your current position." or something to that effect.

2014-01-09 17:57:32 (edited by daigonite 2014-01-09 18:31:39)

Thanks for the detailed reply. I did actually fix the previously noted glitches last night so I will check out the things you pointed out today.

in reffrrence to the music glitch, if you walk out of the gym while the intro is playing, the rest of the song doesn't start; in fact no music plays until I go into a pokemart or senter or go back into the gym.

This is a fairly minor issue, it's just that the way the music works with loops it can be cumbersome. It's... very unappealing in terms of the way I have to set it up at least (using timers and all sorts of garbage). Don't get me wrong, I'll address it, it's just... eugh.

the end of turn report seems to turn on and off randomly.
I turned it off to see what it did in a wild battle, and when I enterd a trainer battle it was on again.
Later; in, say version 0.50 or something the end of turn report could be made to only report things that changed.
so for example, if my Pokemon's helth only went down in the last turn, I don't need to be told that it has 20 out of 20 hp in this turn, as I already know that from last turn's report. And, if I do forget, I can just check the status with the keystrokes.

The end of turn report toggles with the F10 key, I didn't write any documentation on it since it was a very small change and this isn't really a "full" release but rather a testing release. It could be possible that you were toggling it accidentally.

Since the information can be checked with the A and S keys though on both the Fight and Battle menus I will proably refrain from that, and have it as a sort of preference. I'll look into why the toggle is being turned on and off though since I didn't notice that before.

Also, the sounds for people and such can be a henderence sometimes.
With a lot of people and dorrs the sound field can get vary busy.
When you first enter a town it can help to know where things are.
But it would be nice to be able to; say, have the game point out just the pokemon center or something.

This is something I totally agree with. I think I'm gonna redesign the maps so that they are a little larger so that the sounds don't overlap and become distracting, at least in the case of objects.

I do have a function similar to what you're mentioning but I haven't updated it past Viridian City, since it's hard coded in there. I have been considering redoing the town maps because of the audio upgrade to be wider and this is why. I like your idea with north east though, I wrote some code that can draw a line from a point and I can grab a little bit of that to get the direction (or as my variables call it, the quadrant) and I probably could implement that function fairly easily. After reading what you wrote, I was thinking about producing a menu after pressing something like the F key that allows you to choose the location of an important place, such as Pokemon Center/Gym/Special Attractions, then you can choose that location and locate it.

Adding this feature shouldn't be too difficult since I already have a similar function used with the "blocking the sound emitter" code.

Now that I've heard the music clearly, it sounds like you're using the recordings from the firered super complete soundtrack.
If you like, I can loop all of the songs from my .gbs file to remove the echoes.
I just wish you could feed .ogg files directly to gms because I'm making loops for Adventure at C for a stage I'm making and they all work perfectly as .ogg files.
If you like, I can send you a few samples so you can test them in your project.

The new audio format uses .ogg files. I coooould rip them but I'm just lazy I mean busy *coughs suspiciously*. In all honesty though getting the loops right is a ton of work and recording them from the gb files is also a lot of work, and if you have non-echoed versions that will be great (and I'll list you in the credits too). They're a pain in the ass to find because people think the echo version sounds better... or... something I don't know. Sighties can be really weird sometimes.

I import the files as Wav files via wavosaur since it's portable. I usually use 22050 Hz, 8-bit mono as my settings to try to cut down on loading times.

Using the recordings from the soundtrack could become a problem seeing as Nintendo is releasing the fireread super complete collection; that contains the gameboy originals; on itunes sometime this year; or, so they've reported.

This is true but I'm mimicking Pokemon MMO's model except using the original music as opposed to the updated FR/LG music. I anticipate that since this project is mainly a personal project that targets an audience that for the most part does not collide with the people who would be purchasing this title it shouldn't be a huge problem. Legality is kind of a weird business which is why I'm making the main game free.

It should be made very clear that Braillemon is a pet project that I do in my spare time and while I devote a lot of time to it I do not produce it for any return in terms of finances or anything like that, and as such, it offers completely no competition with the mainstream Pokemon games, in a similar vein to Pokemon MMO. Pokemon MMO offers donations and bonuses from such things, and I plan to follow suit, as such things are used for server costs and implementation of other projects (the latter which will be my primary focus after Braillemon 1 is fully released).

you've provided documentation with most of your releases, but it might be good to include it on the game's main menu so all people can find out the controls.

This is a good idea, although I've considered it,  the reality is I have been putting it off if only to try to provide more content. I just thought of a good idea though. If on the main menu you press anything that isn't the directional keys or ENTER you could read all the current functions of the key, although the documentation would have to be written hard coded.

I plan on leaving a bit earlier from work today than the last few days so I plan to address some of these issues at least; the map sizes won't probably occur until the weekend though; at work I literally can't do anything yet since they haven't set me up but also because I have no way to update the project either, and I can only take notes and document, and plan for future fixes.

Good news: Save files are almost ready so expect them in the next big release (not these little patches)

Just noticed the stuff about JAWS, gonna let Kyle know since that will probably make JAWS compatibility an issue.

2014-01-09 18:36:40

Hey just wanted to know if the link to version 1.3 is the same link in post 53 or is there a new link somewhere? And the bug with tossing the items involved both the potion and tm03 that you start with. Also found some other bugs with talking to certain people but wonder if they're fixed in the newest one. Oh also went to route 22 for the rival battle but couldn't find him and the grass seemed to be bare, is this supposed to happen right now?
Jackie

2014-01-09 19:58:06 (edited by daigonite 2014-01-09 19:58:45)

The link was updated with the item fix. I didn't do anything else.

Bugs with talking with certain people? Like what happens? Oh, the freezes like with Daisy? I patched that a while ago but forgot to update the link, since it was it should be fixed in the most recent release.

Your rival isn't programmed there yet but there is grass. I might modify the map a bit since there's a lot of traveling south you have to do to reach the grass and it's a bit excessive in my opinion... The grass is definitely there though. You can find Spearow, Rattata, and the two Nidorans there.

2014-01-09 20:57:06

Ah yeah speaking to them works fine now.  One bug that's still there that I forgot to mention before is sometimes in a battle, not sure if it's specifically a trainer battle or if it happened in a wild Pokémon battle the first time, the game will lag about two steps behind, or repeat two steps is more accurate.  So like it will already have said yours and the enemy's moves and move on to the end of turn stats but then it'll say them again and often stays that way, so you'll have to arrow to realize when it's the part where you choose fight, item, etc and the move instead of entering until it says to choose because otherwise you'll miss it because the game isn't at the point where it says what will *your pokemon* do when the options are there.  Also because of this things faint twice, ask to switch pokemon for trainer battles twice, etc.  I think the first time it straightened itself out after a while but when it happened on the newest one it crashed afterwards.  Hope that all makes sense.
Jackie

2014-01-09 21:04:02 (edited by daigonite 2014-01-09 21:06:12)

bjaxstriker wrote:

Ah yeah speaking to them works fine now.  One bug that's still there that I forgot to mention before is sometimes in a battle, not sure if it's specifically a trainer battle or if it happened in a wild Pokémon battle the first time, the game will lag about two steps behind, or repeat two steps is more accurate.  So like it will already have said yours and the enemy's moves and move on to the end of turn stats but then it'll say them again and often stays that way, so you'll have to arrow to realize when it's the part where you choose fight, item, etc and the move instead of entering until it says to choose because otherwise you'll miss it because the game isn't at the point where it says what will *your pokemon* do when the options are there.  Also because of this things faint twice, ask to switch pokemon for trainer battles twice, etc.  I think the first time it straightened itself out after a while but when it happened on the newest one it crashed afterwards.  Hope that all makes sense.
Jackie

I'm quite confused, are you saying that basically the game loops the last part of the battle turn where it goes (whatever has [hp] out of [hp] hit points. Enemy has whatever percent health.)? I have not encountered that myself, if it crashed to the desktop the game will spout an error resembling the errors that other members have posted.

The flow of battle is the following:

-Before attack messages (switching pokemon, activating effects, ect.)
-First attack sound
-First attack
-Second attack sound
-Second attack
-Your end-turn statuses (poison ect.)
-Enemy end-turn statuses
(If F10 has toggled End Turn Report on)
-Your report
-Enemy report

Can you specify exactly where the issue is happening? (Also I just remembered that Whirlwind/Roar doesn't activate abilities on switch, I'll throw in something that will set those up)

It sounds like either you ran into a wild and trainer battle at the same time, there are two instances of battles occuring, or there is that annoying "repeating speakstring.dll glitch'), athough the latter sounds unlikely. Please post the error that spouts out because I cannot address the problem unless I know exactly how to replicate it.

2014-01-09 22:06:09

Where would I find the error report? I thought they just showed up on the screen so only sighted could see them, or did that change? Couldn't find a log file or anything like that.

2014-01-09 22:55:05

I think the looping changes when it happens.  Just now it happened again after asking if I wanted to switch Pokémon in a trainer battle, but last time it had been during a battle. What it will do is set the voice two steps behind the actual stage of the game.  Normally you would keep entering past your Pokémon's and the enemy Pokémon's hp report, but in this case instead of entering that would be the point where you arrow to choose from fight, item and pokemon.  So you choose fight, but when it goes to the moves list the voice is still stuck behind so it tells you your hp.  After you choose an attack it acts normally, does the sound and says you're attacking then after you enter it does the opponent's sound and says they're attacking, but after that it does the same as last time where instead of entering after the enemy attacks, you have to choose fight and then the attack while the game says your hp.  Because of this the opponent's hp report gets skipped because after you choose a move it again acts normally with reporting your and your opponent's moves.  And this time it waited until talking to the next trainer to crash, so it's really weird where it's not set in stone for when it happens.  Let me know how to get the error report so I can post it as well.

2014-01-09 23:40:00 (edited by daigonite 2014-01-09 23:55:47)

The error report happens in a new window that pops up. It is a window with a text box inside of it with text that can be copied to the clipboard. I'm not sure how accessible it is, but other members have copied the crashes, including people with total blindness. I'll contact one of my buddies tonight on how he does this to try to help you out a bit.

There is no error logging feature anymore which is fairly unfortunate since that was a lot easier... However, this new window will be popped up every time the game encounters an error that fatally crashes the game.

This is a really weird glitch and obtaining that error log will definitely help narrow it down.

Here's a sample log to help you out with it (posted by pelantas)

for object MapDaisy:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get -1.townMaptable(100666, -1)
at gml_Object_MapDaisy_KeyPress_13

The error log tells me exactly where in the code there was the problem, what the problem was, and what object it occured in, as well as any variables involved. So yeah, very helpful and I hope that we can get you on board with getting those copy-pasted soon, since I have not encountered this error.

Can you give me a bit of information regarding where this has happened? Please recount what the trainer that you fought was and where if at all possible. The name of the trainer and the map will be good enough for me locating this. I can't replicated it like I stated which makes tracking this issue quite difficult and I haven't seen anyone else come across this problem. With a glitch like this it's very important to track the problem. Useful stuff is where you are, how you encountered the battle, any peculiar things besides the glitch itself that happened, ect. What starter you started with however isn't that useful unfortunately.

2014-01-10 00:50:47 (edited by bjaxstriker 2014-01-10 01:26:39)

Every time this has happened was in Viridian Forest.  Not sure the first time because I wasn't expecting it, but afterward twice it happened when fighting bug catcher Doug and once with another bug catcher, I forget the name not sure if it was Sammy or the other one but when progressing in the forest it's two trainers after Doug.  Nothing else unusual was happening before the battle or even before the glitch, it just sort of happens unexpectedly.  I'm not sure if this is what the others are doing but since the error window comes up right after the error is encountered I tried select all and copy pasting once the game stopped but all it does is make Microsoft stop responding every time it tries to paste.  So weird!  I hope I'm doing something wrong in trying to copy it that way.
I don't know if this helps but I tried going into a Pokémon battle after it happened again with a Trainer but didn't crash yet, and the Pokémon encounter music played but before the Pokémon appeared it said Spearow (the first in my party) grew to level 0, then crashed.

2014-01-10 03:08:28 (edited by daigonite 2014-01-10 03:15:28)

bjaxstriker wrote:

Every time this has happened was in Viridian Forest.  Not sure the first time because I wasn't expecting it, but afterward twice it happened when fighting bug catcher Doug and once with another bug catcher, I forget the name not sure if it was Sammy or the other one but when progressing in the forest it's two trainers after Doug.  Nothing else unusual was happening before the battle or even before the glitch, it just sort of happens unexpectedly.  I'm not sure if this is what the others are doing but since the error window comes up right after the error is encountered I tried select all and copy pasting once the game stopped but all it does is make Microsoft stop responding every time it tries to paste.  So weird!  I hope I'm doing something wrong in trying to copy it that way.
I don't know if this helps but I tried going into a Pokémon battle after it happened again with a Trainer but didn't crash yet, and the Pokémon encounter music played but before the Pokémon appeared it said Spearow (the first in my party) grew to level 0, then crashed.

This sounds like some sort of object isn't terminating properly, since the leveling up thing will only happen during certain parts of the battle, which does not normally exist as a battle begins. It's terminating due to divide by zero errors. Lemme see if I can make a quick patch to prevent the crashes at least.

P.S. does this start happening after defeating an enemy pokemon, with any sort of conditions, such as switching?

2014-01-10 03:30:34

Hmm, well it has started after switching once but all the other times its just been in the middle of a turn, when attacking or reporting the hp at the end, so don't think switching is directly linked to the problem. Wish I could get the error message to copy.

2014-01-10 04:17:08

hi, could you add the pc in the main character's house? I read the walkthrough that first, go to the pc and get the potion.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,

2014-01-10 06:05:00 (edited by daigonite 2014-01-10 06:08:04)

hanif wrote:

hi, could you add the pc in the main character's house? I read the walkthrough that first, go to the pc and get the potion.

You start off with the potion in your inventory because your bag is infinite.

bjaxstriker wrote:

Hmm, well it has started after switching once but all the other times its just been in the middle of a turn, when attacking or reporting the hp at the end, so don't think switching is directly linked to the problem. Wish I could get the error message to copy.

If it always happens with switching it's probably the origin of the problem. I haven't stopped the doubling (since I cannot trigger it and I spent 2 hours trying) but I certain instances to "suicide" at the point the menu is generated which might alleviate the problem somewhat. If it does it definitely means that it's related. I'll be updating the link agaaaain to see if this helps at all (at least with the crashing). I'm working on literally next to nothing with this problem which makes this really tricky so yeah...

2014-01-10 06:50:28

the only time i had it happen recently with me was when it asked me if i wanted to switch my pokemon after defeating the first trainer's pokemon and i said yes and then switched and it started telling me what was happening a turn ahead of what i was currently at and then repeating the last turn.  Sorry it may not make sense but i can also tell you it happened with bug catcher rick.

2014-01-10 08:40:58

hi, I also read the walkthrough, that before advancing to verridian city, my pokemon(bolbasor) must the level to level 7.
Where are the other pokemon to fight? And can you enable the save feature again?

2014-01-10 10:07:36

Hey all! Not sure if it ben posted before, but I got the following eror:
ERROR in
action number 5
for object ForceSwitchInfo:

Error in code at line 590:

tts_say(global.voice,170,70,0,'Go! ' +string(Battlevars.partyMon[9]) + youAbi + ' What will ' + string(Battlevars.partyMon[9]) + ' do?');
                                                                                                  ^
at position 97: Wrong type of arguments to +.

Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2014-01-10 13:44:07 (edited by daigonite 2014-01-10 15:12:06)

hanif wrote:

hi, I also read the walkthrough, that before advancing to verridian city, my pokemon(bolbasor) must the level to level 7.
Where are the other pokemon to fight? And can you enable the save feature again?

I can't re enable the save feature until it is fully developed, I can tell you that the next major release (NOT these bug patches) it should be able to save progress.

Looking at this stuff it seems like the issue originates from the force switching (such as having a pokemon killed, or switching at the end of a turn) stuff. I don't know what my work load will be today (probably nothing) so I'll look into different varieties of cases. I appreciate everyone trying to help. In the mean time try to track this behaviour and report any oddities, that will help a lot.

EDIT: It  appears that this glitch occurs when you switch using the "do you want to switch pokemon? dialog that happens after fainting an opponent. There's a couple of other little glitches that I plan to fix as well but this is pretty major. What seems to happen is that for whatever reason it skips menus and that's what causes the offset.

Hamir, your glitch seems to be caused by the area but is not related to the big bug that we're talking about, I'll still look into it though (but it looks relatively minor)