2007-03-27 01:51:33 (edited by dark empathy 2007-03-27 02:11:59)

Well, my continuing crusade to try out every text rpg that isn't likely to flood my comp with viruses has finally lead me to

the Gothador game found here

I have a few thoughts and observations regarding the game.

In a rare display of organization, I'm going to devide up my thoughts into pro and con.

Pro:

1: Lots of exploration, with a huge map and many different locations.

2: A plot that isn't just slammed in a text file for you to read before playing, you seem to need to actually discover things, which is good.

3: there's also an exploration factor particularly in the matter of finding out what things do. Also a
dynamic item system with fairly extensive creation, item recipes, some generated via quests.

4: the noob tutorial quest is also relatively un-boring, ---- in fact, sometimes i have to go and check the text tutorial to know what to do next and how to do it.

5: Huge number of quests, with new stuff added litterally each day it seems.

6: Pvp and player interaction seem thus far to be optional (though I could be wrong about this), and the large number of quests seem to indicate that you can play the game single player. However, there is also the option to talk to other characters, which might be a good thing.

7: new stuff for high level characters being released, so none of the going stale that happens with the Logd varients.

8: The price is quite low, only five dollars a month (two pounds or so for me), and sinse paying gets you extra areas to explore I might considder it at some point.

Con:

1: Large amount of stats and collectables, possibly indicating a repetitive action trend once i've finished the noob area.

2: Not exactly the world's most enspiring writing or quests thus far, though this might change (as I said, background info seems to be beeing slowly revealed).

3: Very few options in changing screen layout, it's really annoying to have lots of stuff knocking around that I don't need!

4: Separation of descriptions into "logue" "Description" and "Action" sections. While it's not hard to read, it does seem to knock out the flow of the plot a litle for me.

5: A turn base system that's truly! annoying! you start with 40 turns, get a new one every 30 minutes. While you can improve both of these factors, at the moment it's a real pest.

6: game seems unforgiving and wasteful of certain stats. In combining items, I typed a number in the wrong box, was told "You don't have that many" but the item stil vanished. then, the 50 turn restore potions only restore 40 turns and the other 10 are lost, not carried over. both of these are bound to change when I become less of a newby, but stil thought I'd mention it.

7: Lots of screen reading required. it'd be great if instead of just being labled "move here" the links had the grid coordinates in them, that would make navigation a lot faster. I might well contact the game admins about this (it strikes me it would be an easy change to make). Though thinking about it, given the turn regeneration rate, I suppose slow navigation might actually be a bonus.

8: You have to pay at all!

Any more thoughts would be welcome, paticularly if someone who's played more of the game than I have ccan confirm that any of the "con's" are just there because I've made a bodge somewhere.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-03-27 06:09:31

Andy Smith:
Try to stay relatively on topic, please. A little drift doesn't always hurt, but loading your post with stuff from other topics doesn't help. They're called topics for a reason.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-03-27 09:18:16 (edited by dark empathy 2007-03-27 09:23:32)

Indeed. I'm glad you got the manual, but we already have one topic about the R09, I'd rather just have your gothador related thoughts here please.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-03-27 10:52:35

You may very well get an email soon, Dark, where you're asked if you want to have fourteen days free. They come with benevolence potions that give you AP.
And now for my own thoughts:
The quests aren't all that well-written, and the game does become something of a grinder, but the h uge world and hundreds (yes, hundreds) of quests sort of make up for it. There's not too much roleplay on it, but it -is accessible, if a little slow. As a newbie, using benevolence potions is somewhat wasteful, yeah. As an aside: I think the prices are a little high (not for actually supporting but if you want to buy ultimate speed potions or benevolence potions). The game is updated quite often and the player base is exceedingly helpfu..

It's not my idea of a wonderful game, but it can kill time and it isn't bad.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-03-27 11:12:14

Hi Jayde.

I've got a confession to make, isnse I signed up and then waited for the Gothador mail to get through my mail account's Spam filters, both mails arrived together and my first thought was "Oh damnation! this game's spamming me!" And thus I deleted the mail.

Mega Ooopse!

Anyway, I think the turn system in Gothador is rather harsh, particularly the way that each combat round is one turn. thus, four misses = two hours apless. Ditto when it comes to traveling. though if the tutorial is right and you can reduce the Ap recovery time to five or ten minutes, this might cease to be a problem, especially as I said, given the slower navigation with a screen reader.

If anyone wants to contact me in Gothador, my name there is Darkempathy (no space), as "dark" was already in use.

I'll probably register on the Gothador forum as well at some point.

Please don't ask me for too much help though, as I said, I've only just started with the game myself.

2007-03-27 16:11:08

Well...yes, that is fairly harsh, especially for newbies, but you can level up and put the points you get into lowered speed, if you want...or you can find equipment that will reduce your speed. The minimum is five or ten minutes per AP, I can't remember which, and while that is kind of annoying if you miss a lot, the counter is that items to heal or increase AP are damn near everywhere.
As an aside: stats in this game get exceedingly ugly at higher levels. As well, weapons and armour do very scary things. It's quite possible to get a weapon, or a piece of armour, equip it, and find that enemies that you had a 50 percent chance to hit before now have a 89-99 percent chance to hit. Also keep in mind: enemies are NOT EQUAL! This is to say: not every Bat has a 52 percent chance to hit at L1 with x stats, and not every Rat has 3HP, or whatnot. There's some variance, though the weaker the creature is, the smaller its variations.

I'd help you if I could, but I'm not exactly well off by that game's standards. I think, on the whole, they've let stats get carried away on that game (note that one can be over L5000 and still level confidently, and that there are creatures who have quadruple-digit attack, defense, damage and armour stats while having upward of six or seven-digit HP).

2007-03-28 06:18:35

Andy Smith:
Read it again. Dark said when he received two emails when it was confirming his email he thought it was spamming him by mistake. Good grief.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-03-29 07:42:53

I would imagine the "Mega oops" and "I thought" would give you a little bit of a hint wink

cx2
-----

2007-03-29 17:14:54 (edited by dark empathy 2007-03-29 17:16:16)

I always find I can understand myself perfectly!

In this case, I mistakenly deleted the 14 day free trial E-mailfrom Gothador, because I thought it was spam, and thus missed out on my 14 days getting all the perks of payed subscription for nothing!

I repeat: Mega! Ooopse!

Onto important stuff, sorry about the miner absence here, my university network decided to explode on Tuesday, thus denuding me entirely of E-mail and the Internet. The thoughtful people at I.t. Services sent round an E-mail to apologise and explain ;D.

then of course, getting back onto the network couldn't be easy, it of course required re-registration, which, given the density of density at the I.t. services, has me repeating my I.P. address down the phone to them (they couldn't understand Hal for some reason, even when I went through it character by characterr!). Honestly! where do they imploy these people!

anyway, that's why I haven't been around. To get back on track here, I have located a couple of gothador resources which might help people trying to play the game.

This guide here is a fairly streight tutorial explanation of everything on the display and what does what. Unfortunately, it's written by an in game guild (in gothador their called cults), so is a tad biased, but is stil rather good for info content.

for something more general, with item and quest lists etc, there's The gothador book of wisdom 

Looking at these though, it does seem that, as Jayde says, stats have slightly taken over in this game. However, as is my usual practice with a game that's interested me enough to actually bother signing up (many haven't!), i won't make a final judgement about Gothador until I've atleast finished the tutorial quest and done a litle exploring.

Thanks for the Ap tips Jayde. Thus far, I've been leveling Attack and defence (in particular Defence), but when I get a couple more levels I'll have a go at leveling speed as well.

2007-03-29 23:54:08

Andy, you're an odd duck. *smiles* You keep putting little bits of other half-on-topic or off-topic snippets in posts. It's sort of odd, and vaguely confusing.

Dark: don't level your speed! As I said, there are items that can get you extra speed, as long as you're equipping them.
The site I go to when I want info about something - for it hasn't yet lied - is
www.guildofwisdom.co.uk
and I find it's very informative.

You're going to get bored of this one, I'm afraid, but give it its brief time in the spotlight. I did.
My 14-day trial ran out yesterday.

2007-03-30 09:17:34 (edited by dark empathy 2007-03-30 09:19:59)

Given network explosions Jayde, and the fact that I've got to dash off home for a while next week, I'd probably not have made much out of the 14 day trial anyhow.

the "book of Wisdom" I mentioned above is also the guild of wisdom site, however Wikipedia listed it as the book not the guild, weerd! Stil, I'm slightly reluctant to check that sinse discovery and exploration are both fairly big things in games for me. In the same way, I'm not going to check the various KoL resources unless I get really amazingly stuck (not something that's happened thus far, and I'm lvl six, though given the game's puzles it well might).

As I said Jayde, I'll give Gothador it's due time though, I'm highly interested in the many, many quests! especially as new ones come out so frequently.

It's one of the reasons that I'm so jealous of my brothers world of Warcraft playing, that very large new game areas and quests come out in weekly updates. I know KoL updates, but reading the news, it seems to be more new features, items and multi-player stuff rather than quests and areas.

Btw, Andy smith, I'm glad you liked my Podcast. I'm using Hal v6.53, with the in built Dolphin Orphius synthesisor (version 2), and the Uk English voice alan.

As to understandibility, for one thing, Alan is speaking Uk English, and for another, I will admit I like my voice at a slightly faster speed, and some people do have difficulty with it. i suppose I should slow it down for Pod casts, but for some reason a slower synth voice always sound extremely wrong.

I'll warn people, I might be a litle erratic in posting, the networks been doing some very strange things yesterday, and I'm going home for the weekend.

2007-04-01 21:44:20

Andy Smith:
Internal networks at educational institutions here in the UK are notorious. Even if the tech support guys knew what theyw ere doing, which I can tell you from personal experience is a rare event, the scale they're on makes them tricky. And given that as I hinted most people in IT support at university and college here have no clue what they're doing, one once even told me thata license server goes over the internet which is the biggest load of nonsense I ever heard. This is the type of server they use to say "We have x licenses, only let x users on the network use the software".

Don't assume there has been any malicious actions. These networks are pretty secure, often to the point of not letting users work. There is a lot of paranoia in these people.

cx2
-----

2007-04-06 08:47:03

Indeed Andy Smith, the chance of anything malicious happening to Durham's network is incredibly small indeed!

this is, as Cx2 says though matched by a more than equal amount of paranoyer among the I.T. staff.

In fairness, a couple of years ago, a virus did get onto the network, though ironically, I actually found the virus caused less trouble than the solution, sinse they stuck Mcaffi onto the network with pre-defined settings that could not be changed. One of these was to auto scan the entire comp at startup, which conflicted with hal starting up and wonderfully crashed my laptop!

Anyway, as I say in another topic, I've been having more fun with the network sinse I've got back (hence the lag in posting), and the uselessness of I.t. staff hasn't helped in the least.

Hopefully things are fixed now though.

while i do appreciate the security thing, I rather think that what the network enforces is rather like using an h-bomb to clear a bees nest.

well to bring things back to Gothador, I got back to find an E-mail telling me that I haven't played for a while. I just hope they haven't closed my account after not even two weeks, that would be exessively mean!

It doesn't matter if they have of course, sinse I wasn't all that far through the game, but stil, it'd be annoying, especially as I sometimes have very long periods of offlinitude when I'm at home.

2007-04-06 22:46:18

Extremely easy. What's the problem with signing up?

thus far, I've checked out about a hundred or so of these sorts of games, and none of them caused sign up issues, ----- and even if they do decide to spam you, banning and a good spam filter can solve the problem (though I think far more spam comes from random trauler programs than text based online rpg's would ever generate).

2007-04-07 03:32:37

It's free! you only need to pay a subscription if you want access to the various subscriber only areas of the game, ----- and you get a 14 day free trial anyhow (though I don't thanks to slightly overzealous deleting on my part).

2007-04-07 22:52:46

Well thus far I'm enjoying the game, but I stil haven't even completed the tutorial quest due to the damned annoying lack of ap regeneration, it seems as a new player that you really! have to be patient with the game and spend literally hours just sitting around waiting to get enough Ap to actually do anything, ----- particularly if your like me and interested in exploring things). What's most irritating is that as an easter present I got some huge regeneration items that it would just be a waste of time for me to use.

I really think that limiting your player to a maximum 40 Ap is an absolute pest, especially given the annoying regeneration rate, and the fact that ap is used for really stupid things like withdrawing and depositing goldand picking up items. 1 Ap each combat round is also just unfair, ------ oh dear, I missed twice, that means another hour sitting around doing nothing!

I deffinately think Gothador is a game that isn't very fair to new players, though hopefully things will change when I've levled up a bit (and at least leveling up isn't too difficult). Oh well, I can always play Kingdom of Loathing while I'm waiting ;D.

2007-04-08 00:54:13 (edited by dark empathy 2007-04-08 00:59:05)

Andy smith, could you please not multiple post, sinse it makes topics annoyingly long and makes what you've written quite a pain to read. there are many forums where this is regarded as spam, and where double posting is disabled, and you'll get in trouble if you try it.

If you want to say more in your original post, please use the "eddit" link (that's what it's for).

to answer your question, as I said originally, the game is free. Subscribing only gives you access to more game areas than the initial realm, and allows your character to do the quests where he/she can change class. thus there's quite a lot more stuff to do if your a subscriber.

You get 14 days free subscription when you sign up, ----- provided your not as dim as me and delete the "14 day free trial" E-mail by mistake.

but as I can certainly confirm, playing the game for free is perfectly fine, in fact, I'll probably only subscribe when I've run out of free stuff to do, ---- assuming of course that I decide to continue playing the game for an extended period of time.

I'd certainly recommend giving Gothador a try though, but be sure to read the tutorial sinse it'll help a lot. Also, the Gothador screen is rather complicated the first time you come across it, so I would advise going to your profile and disabling as much stuff as possible to minimize the amount of random rammel on screen.

also, make sure you read your screen carefully, this is one game where hammering through the tabs just will not work!

2007-04-08 17:48:19 (edited by dark empathy 2007-04-08 17:54:40)

No problem andy, and thanks for cleaning things up. Occasionally, when loading the new page has gone a bit splirky I've had similar double posting issues myself, ---- and in those cases the delete link is indeed my friend.

If anyone's got to higher levels in Gothador, perhaps they could hel me out with the answer to a question.

Personally, in text rpg's, the hole Pvp business just doesn't interest me, and one of my mainn gripes with so many games is that all you basically do is boringly grind your stats just so that higher level players won't constantly pound you and take your cash when you go off line! Legend of the green Dragon was really bad for this I remember at one point, and I'd always logue on to find five or six notes telling me that I'd been killed in Pvp while I was offline. I could of course leave gold in the bank to prevent people knicking it, but it always used to hack me off that sooooooo many people would rob the bank I'd end up losing serious amounts of gold, ------ even though each robbery only took a litle, the shear amount of robberies mounted upto rediculus proportions.
One of my favourite things in KoL is that Pvp is entirely and completely optional!

anyhow, does anyone know if in Gothador, once you get out of the tutorial relm, your going to be constantly robbed and attacked by other players? if so, this will certainly put a huge weight into the "forget this boring piece of boshness" side of the set of metaphorical scales with which I'm currentl weighing Gothador, the scales that have found so many other text rpg's wanting.