2019-09-05 22:28:08

@Dark, Harvey's dream I didn't like at all. I don't understand why he wrote it, it wasn't scary to me at all.
Rest stop I liked a lot, especially when you see the old author's other side. I didn't appreciate his jokes, I've seen domestic abuse for years, mostly from my older step brother. He has the whole crazy boyfriend thing going on. Reading rest stop felt like reliving things from my past. It's interesting the guy writes about a character called the dog, but he seems to be mild mannered, then his other personality turns out to mirror what he writes. It felt to me like king was trying to make the point that writers have a thin line between imagination and the reality of things.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

Thumbs up

2019-09-06 03:02:18 (edited by Dark 2019-09-06 03:04:17)

@Jayde, we'll have to see, as I said,I was disappointed with Susanna's arc in the last few dark tower books and I was not a fan of Mia, and until I reread the series again, which I will certainly do, possibly together with my lady, I can't say much else.

@guitarman, completely agree about the jokes in the rest stop. sometimes I think Stephen King just got into the habit of being crass or tasteless for shock value and often can't kick it, which means frequently even comparatively decent characters suddenly come out with dodgy stuff, like Willa suddenly telling David in the title story how she wanted to "fuck on a train." Sometimes, these crassness's have a lot of point, like the nasty jokes in Gerald's game Jessie remembers, sometimes though it feels rather gratuitous, indeed Norman in Rose Madder was waaaaaaay! overboard.

Well I've done a couple more stories so thoughts incoming.

Stationary bike:  I loved the premise for this one. The doctor in the first scene explaining the vision of the workmen in Richard's metabolism struck me as a bit overly King making a pretty obvious author insert (the doctor even talked like King's usual narration), but honestly, once the picture was done, the guys had names and we were cycling off I didn't mind since the story was just so wonderfully weird.
I do wish King had either stuck some more incident in there, or made the story a bit shorter, indeed he basically said half way through "this is how these stories go," also I confess I was a wee bit disappointed when the strange road in Richard's body turned into a sort of amalgamated hymn to childhood cycling, however I was just so interested to see where the premise would go, and hay, king even surprised me with the ending here, especially with how he left so much up to everyone's imagination, rather than going the hole metafictional hog and suggesting, shock horror, that even Richard could be an idea in a book, perhaps a book by Stephen King. Probably not imiho as good as the gingerbread girl, but still not a bad story.

The things left behind:  I was wondering where this one was going, what the items were and thinking the story was a bit disjointed, I only realised as things went on the disjointed quality had a bloody good reason.
Massive credit to King for managing to write a sort of horror story themed around September the eleventh which didn't feel either excessive or cheap, and captured so much of the emotions a survivor of something like that would have.

My only two  miner issues is I did think King reitterated the "we're not dating, but we might be attracted, but we're not because I'm married, even though we're still attracted" business with Paula a bit too much. Indeed as I said of Joyland King does seem to fall a bit too much into the harry met Sally trap of assuming men and women can't be just friends without some vague sort of sexual interest there.

Second, what is it with King and flashbacks that just make his characters slightly scummy? Like his excessive jokes this just seems a bit too much and in because its expected, since if I am to have sympathy for the main character, telling us all about how he was nearly caught by his mother mastabating into his sister's underpants is just plane unnecessary.

On the other hand, the ending hear actually made me cry, and I loved the final premise  of why the items kept returning, indeed capturing people's lives through random personal momentous they had hanging about the office is a heart wrenching way of thinking about a terrorist attack.
Definitely a really awesome story, and one King clearly poured his heart and soul into for obvious reasons.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

Thumbs up +1

2019-09-06 10:10:32 (edited by Dark 2019-09-06 10:22:37)

Graduation afternoon:  A bit of a miss here, or at least  a piece that would've been more effective if it had had a little work. King establishes the snobby rich people, and then when the bomb hits they refuse to believe its real, however King  spent a bit too much time on Janis, the protagonist and how she was actually a complex character, quite arrogant in her own way, then at the end had her attitude to the bomb hitting being to lose herself in memories of country music.

there was not really enough poetry to make this a pure mood piece, and a little too much character to make this a poetic meditation, plus of course, it doesn't help that these days nuclear blasts feel a bit old hat, or at least to anyone who grew up in the eighties and nineties, so simply going "look a mushroom cloud isn't it scary" probably doesn't have the instant fear factor it does for the world war 2 generation. Not that the idea of  nuclear bombs isn't scary, just that to shock me in a short story there needs to be a little more behind them.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

Thumbs up +1

2019-09-06 17:53:13 (edited by Dark 2019-09-06 18:07:45)

N: A really good example of a story within a story within a story. i loved the idea that OCD symptoms might actually have occult significance and that the psychiatrist is pulled into things in spite of himself. I don't think king quite caught the otherworldy horror as well as he did in crouch end, what with language being a bit planer, but on the other hand I loved his use of diaries and contrasting accounts, very Dracula.

Its odd, this is a horror story where you know the ending from the start, and where everything is pretty much as you'd expect, account of nasty thing, disbelieving person goes to investigate account of nasty thing, nasty thing is real, person gets got by nasty thing, person leaves account to next person, rend and repeat big_smile.

The odd thing is, this one just worked. There were times I was impatient with the pacing, but then things absolutely paid off and the slowness made sense in retrospect, likewise, while I  didn't get as much idea of the characters as people, this one was all about the scary, particularly the scary use of numbers.

king did over egg the pudding a bit occasionally, telling us about the "world behind the world" and the "Monsters of everlasting darkness," but it didn't bother me as much as it might have done, albeit I probably would've been more scared if King had worked harder not to come up with cliches and use his own phrasing, as he usually does.

Btw, I wonder why in this story, even though King's obviously borrowing Lovecraft's great old ones or something very much like them, he named the creature as Cthun, not Cthulhu? or is there another Lovecraftian monster called Cthun I don't know about? Then again with mentions of Chester's mill and Julia Shunway making a brief camio, I wonder if Cthun was one of the leather heads from under the dome, since its head was described the same way.

Oh, and again the usual King crassness rears its ugly and possibly leathery, head, why he has to describe someone deciding to enter the gate to the field of evil with the phrase "why was I wasting time on fore play, lets get on with the fucking," I don't know.

Its not that I have anything intrinsic against crude language or metaphors, its just, ---- well time and place!

All in all though a good solid horror story and example of the Cthulhu mythos.

Thumbs up +1

2019-09-06 19:00:48

I think some of this stuff, Dark, is just down to personal taste. Willa saying she wants to fuck on a train...what if that's what she really does want, and given that her and David are on their honeymoon, don't you think that's valid? And as for "getting past the foreplay and onto the fucking" sometimes people do say and think things like this. Yes it's crass. But yes it's also true to life.

I'm mostly with you on the stories, btw. Graduation Afternoon worked for me because when Janice retreated into thoughts of country music or whatnot, it's because she knows they're all dead. The cloud is too big and too close. This one broke my heart. It wasn't perfect, but it was good.
The Things they Left Behind frustrated me at first, then really paid off. I didn't cry, but he nailed the ending here. As far as the whole "we're not dating because I'm married" thing, I think he was actually making a side comment about how some people make a big deal out of this. It felt a bit much on purpose, but that's just me.
And as for N: you're spot on. You know what's coming and it still works.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

Thumbs up

2019-09-06 23:26:22

The things they left behind I liked a lot, because I could relate to the story a lot. I never lived in New York, but I saw the news breaks as they were happening and I remember thinking what next, is this the end of the world? I've been afraid to fly ever since. But the story captures the horror and pain of 9/11 so well.
Graduation afternoon was okay, the nuclear thing I didn't like, but the way king writes the scene of the explosion and the aftermath work very well. I remember in the 80s and 90s, there were threats of nuclear war from the soviets and others, so after a while it feels old, but the story still worked for me.
N was great, I remember when I first read it I was going to church that night, and the story scared me so badly I was very glad to be somewhere like that. I've always assumed that cthun was one of the leatherheads mentioned in under the dome, I just wondered at the time where the giant eye and the thing with heads for teeth were. Maybe they were gone when they entered that dimension at the end of under the dome. I've always liked the idea of a story within a story, so I loved the way n was presented. The people who read n in the audiobook do a great job, especially when doing the voice of cthun. When I look back, the imagery feels so clear, the field, the stone circle, even the sign, "ackerman's field, no hunting." The story doesn't explain who or what ackerman is, but that would've been interesting to know along with everything else.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.

Thumbs up

2019-09-07 01:50:46 (edited by Dark 2019-09-07 18:59:13)

@JAyde, I have no problem with people wanting to make love, or have sex on a train or anywhere else, as part of coping with my genophobia, my lady and I read through both Alex comfort joy of sex books together, we've tried various things together and had conversations about what else we'd like to try.
My problem is more  the  way King always uses the most profane descriptions possible, and that these things come out of left field often in an unrelated situation.

had David been recalling his relationship with Willa and various memories of their lovemaking (or fucking if he thinks of it that way), and then! talked about what she'd wanted to do that would've been fine. Similarly, I can accept that some people get off on talking dirty even though neither my lady nor I do, however in King's case it just seems he puts these things in as almost a routine. Indeed, King almost seems the opposite of Koontz for this, since where the Koontz i've read tend to overdo the treacle and the niceness and tell you how good his characters are, King has to always stick in something a bit offf, usually sexual, as with the protagonist of "the thing's we left behind's" masturbation.

of course, a little of this with one or two characters would make sense and be true to life as you say, but King seems to do it with almost every character almost all the time, even in situations when it seems fairly inappropriate (since apart from that crass metaphor, Johnny in N struck me as an extreme rationalist).

On the dating thing in things left behind, I'm afraid I didn't think there was any meta commentary going on here, after all King as I said did very much the same thing in Joyland, though there it was from the other way around when Stewart's apparently female friend Erin, who was actually with Stewart's other friend at the time starts kissing him and is clearly attracted.

Okay read a couple more stories so thoughts coming up.

The cat from hell: which has to be the most god aweful title for a story King has ever come up with. Oddly enough, the story was actually rather good. Like several of King's stories, it literally does what it says on the tin. Its a purely schlocky, completely predictable and formula horror story with the subtlety of a chainsaw to the guts. I also thought it was awesome! Cats are bloody evil, and this cat had revenge in its mind. I particularly liked how King did almost camera cuts with each of the cat's murders, so by the time the hit man was heading off to peacefully do the cat in, we pretty much know what's coming. The genious part, is what is coming is described in such wonderfully splatterhouse detail, honestly towards the end when the cat was going for the guy's mouth I was thinking "your not really going to do cat alien are you?" and yes, indeed he is!

Okay, its basically a literary version of a mortal Combat fatality, and not a story that would have any long lasting value, but it did its job bloody well, pun most definitely intended.

The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates: Okay, had I read this story before getting married, I probably would've gone "well that was interesting," however the way King captures two people who know each other extremely well and obviously love each other has a really frightening realism to it, especially when reading it whilst in bed holding my wife and unable to sleep. I particularly liked the way James was just sort of vaguely resigned and having a fairly average phone call. Though very different in style and feeling, it reminded me strongly of Ray Bradberry's last night of the world.

the only miner niggle I have is that there  were lose ends that I think King should've either expanded or snipped. For example James , mentions being unsure which door to go through in the station, and I wondered if that would relate to  Anny somehow. Similarly, I really didn't quite get the ending, since while I got that James helped Anny avoid tragedies later, I didn't exactly get why she seemed to be ringing a new york times subscription company or what the title meant, which might just be me being dim.

So, while King got the mood  and characters of this one absolutely right, scarily right in fact, either I'm not getting something or he should've tightened things up a little.

Thumbs up +1

2019-09-07 02:32:28

Oh the cat from hell! I'll admit the title is too obvious, but the cat and especially the end made me laugh and feel sick at the same time. My grandparents had my sister's cats when I read this story, I kept picturing myself being the Hitman and I couldn't go near them for a while.
The new York times story was too strange to be good I always thought. James describing the station and the doors that surround it brought to mind the dark tower doorways. King seems to have a weird obsession with afterlife dimensions, this story and some others have the same feel. Maybe he's expressing his fear of the afterlife in stories because what lies beyond death is unknowable to us all.

Guitarman.

Thumbs up

2019-09-07 02:45:51

As I understood it, there is no especial significance to the number from the call itself. It's just a matter that the number had to come from somewhere, got essentially hijacked briefly. The message is also supposed to be that the dead can reach out to you occasionally, to help you, but you, in your mortal way, can never reach back.

Thumbs up

2019-09-09 07:35:24

Okay I've read a couple more stories so thoughts coming up.

Mute: I liked the initial setup of this one,  particularly with it being a confession about a confession, and us getting almost three separate scenes,  Monette confessing to the priest, Monette bitching to the mute hitch hiker in the car, and the story of his wife's affair and financial shenanigans, also credit to King for creating a wonderfully human and down to earth catholic priest for the guy to confess to, someone who obviously has dealt with a lot of people and heard it all before.
The problem is that this didn't really go  anywhere. As in 1922, it was the story about a rather nasty guy with a rather nasty wife, indeed the guy's self justifications were about as pleasant to read as the details of the wife's rather casual affair and remorseless gambling, this made the payoff super pointless. By the bare way the set up was done it was obvious that the mute would not be quite as deaf as the guy thought and the wife (and possibly her lover), were up for the chop.
This meant when I heard the hitchhiker had tracked them  down and beat them to death with a pipe wrapped in a hotel towel my initial thought was more "oh that's an interesting method of murder," than "oh god someone has just been killed" or even any feelings about Monette's situation.
This one really needed a sting, a bit of calmer, for Monette's response that he ws glad his wife was dead to cost him something, indeed I wondered if the hitch hiker might go and murder Monette's daughter, (his love for her was really his only redeeming feature and while that would've been a nasty ending this is a horror story after all), or maybe that the  "company" the priest mentioned having for lunch would turn out to  be the hitchhiker who'd just heard monette's confession and was rather anoyed about being tattled on, but no, ding dong the witch is dead, hurrah for homicide.

A long story whose end was obvious, and which  just plane lacked the surprise it ; should've had, and whose main character was almost a total arsehole. Not good.

Iana: definitely the worst story in the collection. King's  blind child was so ridiculously overthetop it made me wince, (even at seven being asked  to count steps out loud would've made me feel stupid), and the girl falls over the IV stand, just to make sure we all know how weird and blind she is.
Of course  she has magic powers, because blind  people, particularly blind children are  wonderfully strange and otherworldly and do strange magical blind things.

I've seen  reviews that criticise john Coffee in the green mile and Mother Abigail in the stand as being "magical negro" characters, that is black people who have mysterious magical powers from being so otherwordly and dark skinned.
I never felt that way about either, since both are also shown to be very human characters who   have their own struggles and I loved both, indeed the major point in the green mile is how poor John Cofee's magic powers get him into trouble for just trying to help.

In this story though, Iana is literally called "the magical negro child" by the main character's cynical wife, I'd add blind onto that description too and you pretty much  have a walking cliche, particularly with shock horror, the fact that at the end of the story the main character is told she's dead, because magical blind angels obviously need to go back to heaven where they belong.

Apart from her, the premise of the story might've worked, I got a clearer idea of character here, and credit to King for creating a spiky wife who was cynical without being repellent, also his descriptions of sickness were sort of irreverent to the point of almost surrealism, I also liked how the father who was sick was actually shown to be a real person, indeed credit to King on hitting the contrast between someone very ill and the person they were (which makes his magical blind person even more obviously a major misstep). Even the idea that the power gets passed on, and people get the power to heal others, which had he executed it differently could've made for a genuinely appealing story of miracles, especially with the guy not able to heal his sister in law's Alzheimer's couldn't save this one for me.

Btw, when I mentioned this one to my lady, she said she'd actively repressed memory of it, and that King really fails with blind people, like Dyna in the langoleers, yet another magic blind girl,  which makes me interested to reread that one as well and see what I think of it now.

Next up is the narrow place, which I believe my lady has mentioned to me before as a wonderfully icky premise which I'm quite looking forward to.

Thumbs up

2019-09-09 14:57:14

Alright with finishing A very tight place this morning we bring the collection to a close so thoughts here.
I've mentioned King's occasional crassness being   distracting.  when he seems to just stick it in in an unwarrented place, however when he devotes himself to it, he can be wonderfully, most carefully and  effusively disgusting in an absolutely hilarious,  and skin crawling way.
I particularly liked how he managed to get even grosser as time went on, what with poor Curtice having to crawl into the holding tank not to mention the fantastic confrontation in the guy's bath.
Actually, what impressed me here  is that King   worked the elements of a successful short story into  what was essentially a shock piece.
Millionaire  stock brokers engaged in  petty grudge matters with millions of dollars are not inherently sympathetic people, and King doesn't shy away from the fact that Curtice is not exactly a nice guy, or even a particularly rational guy with his neurotic tendencies and self harming via vomiting, indeed at the start I wasn't exactly sure whether Curtice or "the mother fucker" was really the injured party.

However, King makes curtice inherently more sympathetic by the fact that he had a dog who he loved, and his rival much nastier by the fact that the rival as much as killed the dog, and that even before we meet the rival and realise the guy is a complete nutball. 
I also liked the fact that   curtice is very much a  character who is also gay, rather than a gaaaaaaaaay! character, that is, king makes him a person first, and gay just as part of that, perhaps lessons he should've thought of a bit more clearly when writing about heavenly little blind children..

I did notice a few recurrent King themes, especially in the physical torment Curtice was going through in the porterloo,  though being as this was a short story, albeit a long one, King didn't overdo things too much or repeat Gerald's game or mysery, he gave us enough info to know how nasty it was and cheer when  Curtice made it out, actually I really liked the use of Betsy's dog tag here.

the final confrontation was quite justified and hilarious. All in all a rousing end to the collection.

In general, the collection has been great fun, there have been some storeis I liked more than others, but a lot of really solid ones, such as N, Tight place  and the gingerbread girl, indeed only a couple of really major clunkers, but that's true of any collection.

As to what comes next, we'll see. I have four past midnight, and my lady fancies doing needful things, but I might give that a rest for a little while.

Thumbs up

2019-09-09 18:43:57

Interestingly, Ayana didn't suck for me as much as for you. She didn't have magical powers because she was blind; she had magical powers because random people get them passed along. As I recall, she was also ill as well as blind, and only like seven years old, and seemingly with someone who, while they knew her, was not actively teaching her properly (thus the counting steps). I felt that her blindness, then, was incidental, and not all that important, really. Thus, I actually quite liked that one.
Totally agree with you about Mute and A Very Tight Place though.

Thumbs up

2019-09-09 19:41:37

@JAyde, I'm afraid Iana being magical and blind sort of seemed forgone to me from the very start, and definitely facts that went together from the description of her eyes, to her sun glasses, to the way King even wrote out the "let me here you count."
Maybe I'm a bit more sensitive about this since I was myself a very sick blind child at the age of seven and always felt mortified when people treated me that way, or maybe its bad memories from the langoleers I don't know. Its also possible the back cover really  spoiled things:

back cover wrote:

In “Ayana,” a blind girl works a miracle

it didn't describe Tight place as "A gay man gets locked in the lavatory!" big_smile.

Still I'm not going to let one  less good story spoil the hole collection anyway.

Thumbs up

2019-09-09 20:38:57

Well, the fact that she's blind is proven incidental when the main character, who appears to have no such issues of his own, gets the ability passed on to him. Thus it's not related to who you are or what you have, it's where you are at any given time. It sounds, in fact, as if Ayana got her gift (probably in the hospital, while dying herself), and was compelled to use it and pass it on. Also, "a girl performs a miracle" sounds so much more bland than "a blind girl performs a miracle". Nah, this is not a magical blind child. This is someone who is, in a rather sad way, a victim of circumstance. And I think (correct me if I'm just flat wrong on this) that the woman who's with her, the one who says "let me hear you count" does not look like her mother/grandmother, but rather like someone who's accompanying her. In that case, I have an issue with that person more than the child herself. But in this way, King is actually hitting it square, because some people most definitely -are just that insufferable.

Also? Regarding magical Negros, to use a tired phrase? Yes, King has done it. Abigail is the most egregious example in my opinion. John Coffey, your mileage may vary on. But it's no accident that his initials mirror those of perhaps the most famous mythical figure in history (his original name was something like John Bowes, but King changed it). In the time and place King chose for his story, Coffey all but had to be black, as a white man would have gotten a fairer trial instead of just being arrested on the spot. After all, if one prison guard can figure it out, and if a few reporters could also figure it out, you'd think they'd go for a retrial...but nope, because that's not what was done for people of colour in those days. So without his skin colour, you don't have a premise. Do I cringe at the idea of a white dude writing a black character who seems destined to heal and/or otherwise set right the plights of a bunch of white people, one way or the other? Hell yes.

Thumbs up

2019-09-10 04:20:57 (edited by Dark 2019-09-10 04:23:35)

While Iana's ability was transferrable, the presentation of her as blind, and the specific association of blindness with otherworldly strangeness was what bothered me here, that and the fact that both the girl and her carer were presented as so "blind!"

but Fair enough Jayde, as I said I just took the story differently.

The "magical negro" thing is something I've only picked up from reading other people's reviews and didn't really bother me as such,, as I said I found John Coffee and Mother Abigail both really appealing characters, especially coffee, partly in fact because of the tragedy of the racism contributing to him not having a trial.

remember that we don't have the history that goes with a lot of that sort of thing in this country (I don't know who your referring to with  your mention of "mythical initials", not that there aren't racists in England, there definitely are, but over here most dark skinned people you meet are usually third or fourth generation west Indians whose grand parents or great grand parents came to Britain in the fifties, indeed here your more likely to encounter racism against Indians or Pakistanis than against black people.

(the first time I heard the N word, was someone listening to gangster rap, and I thought it meant gangster).

I only mentioned the magical negro thing with respect to Iana since it seemed  to me very much a case of "the magical blind girl," though the fact she heals sighted people bothers me less than her presentation as very very blind and therefore strange.

Thumbs up

2019-09-10 04:28:37

Remember, also, that she just sort of walks into a home and is there when people turn around. That in itself is plenty strange without her blindness or the peculiarity of the situation.

When I talk about mythical figures, this isn't something you have to be Canadian or American to know. John Coffey's initials, JC, are also the initials of Jesus Christ, who was also well-known for healing the sick and wounded, and we all know how it turned out for him. Sacrificed, right? Just like Coffey. To me, this is either brilliance or arrogance on King's part, I'm not quite sure which. But it was definitely intentional, he said so himself.

Thumbs up

2019-09-10 04:50:46

Lol, Okay I am officially a stupid head, I thought you meant someone in American black history somewhere when you said "mythical figure."

I also apologies profusely to the god of coffee for not  its closness to holiness big_smile.

I'll have to ask my lady, who is both far more well read in Christianity and stephen King than I am if she picked that up.

Thumbs up

2019-09-10 20:26:43

Okay,  shameless plug, my Review of Gerald's game can be read here

Its basically what I said earlier in this topic, though rather better written.

Thumbs up