2007-01-30 16:24:48

Hey! (or Hi! if you want)

In the first place I'm wondering what game genres you - very skilled - gamers are missing. And at the other hand, I'm searching for some inspiration.

There's a new audiogame coming up, because the stuff that I like in a game is rather scarce. Now I've made a little set-up, but maybe the game can be extended with the thoughts of others. So, what games do you like? And an even harder question, what is your favourite game?

Note: I'm not a enormous big programmer who knows all the tricks of DirectX, so it all can result in nothing.

2007-01-30 19:37:15

Well, if your going to be making a game, as i said in the other topic, I'd love to see an audio rpg or stratogy game, but they might be slightly hard to program. For myself, I love exploring different environments and plots most in games, thus I really enjoyed SHades of doom, Monkey business Superliam and Tarzan Jr (even though that one was slightly easy).

then again it depends on my mood, I do sometimes like a quick blast on something like Alien outback, and at other times I play something a bit more sedate such as Jim kitchen's golf game.

I think in general just as long as it does something different from what's been done before, eg, it isn't yet another audio space invaders it'll or be good ;D.

No offence to our devs, , Judgement day Troopanum 2 and Alien outback are all great games, but when there are perhaps only about 50 audio games in circulation it does seem a bit strange that a fifth of them are space invaders games.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-01-30 20:05:53

It'll be a game in the style of Super Liam, because I just like that game! The only difference is that it won't be a side scroller.

Any suggestions are still pretty welcome!

2007-01-31 10:20:22

well, the knds of games i like are sci fi, eg shades of doom vip- and doom sighted
i also like fantasy games such as myths and monsters and magic. One game in this style i liked was a ps1 game called pandemonium.
where you have to navigate 3 bosses spread out over 18 very hard and fun levels encountering a number of odd creatures all of whom have it in for you.
i have recently using wavepad recorded seveal sounds from said game and would be happy to share a few for this game.
3 inparticular are weapon spells, one is ice which freezes your appoinant so you can smash him, another is a pulverise spell which obliterates your enemy, and the third, my personal favorite is a bright green shrink ray which shrinks your enemy so you can squash them.
i also have a number of enemy sounds and if you would like any of them for your game either e-mail me by using the e-mail link or find me on skipe.
my skipe name is
o.b.s.i.d.i.a.n._.k.n.i.g.h.t.
just remove the periods and you've got it.
note, e-mail me first before adding me if you have skipe or i may delet you by mistake.

i am thinking of starting my own website and uploading the entire folder up there for public use, but i don't quite know howto start off ceating a website.
can anyone give me some pointers?
hth

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2007-01-31 15:27:22

Ah, Pandemonium one of my favourite playstation games, along with Pandemonium 2 of course. I'd love to be able to get the music to both games, so if you know anywhere that might do it Archer please post a link.

Now as to game suggestions, up to now, no audio game has really featured different playable charactors. thinking about pandemonium sort of brought this to mind.

Particularly in a fantasy themed game, different charactors would be greatt!

Even in a first person perspective, there are various factors you could mess about with to make the charactors different. Their rate, strength and distance of their attacks (a sword vs a bow for example). You could also play with their starting health, or ability to use items or other attacks, for example, one charactor could pick up knives and chuck them at enemies, another could just throw them (as in the walk along beat em up final fight).

If you were planning to make the game more Rpg like with gold, experience or special attacks such as magic, there are even more things you could do to distinguish the charactors, though again, difficulty of programming might be a factor here.

As I said before, I'd also love to see more cutscenes in games, this was one of my favourite things about superliam, and the only really big letdown imho, with Shades of doom. I don't imagine they would be hard to put in to the program and for me they can add a lot to the experience of the game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-01-31 16:50:30

Now I'm hesitating a bit... I want to create a nice audiogame, just like the others out there. But I also want to create a game that is just for fun, so without scoresystems and lives which you can loose.

2007-01-31 16:57:17

good point dark, thinking about it there are a lot of sighted games where this is true and no developer has picked up on this.
one of my personal faves donkey kong country was also true of this, you primarally used donkey for fighting however at any time in the game you cold use diddy. there is also the fairly new ps2 game primal where you play a human and a rock sprite while you try and save the nexis, a world etween worlds while you learn to fight in the shape of the creatures that live in the 4 worlds you visit.

p.s dark, i can try and record the music straight off the game if you like, i still have a mint copy of the game, i've had it for 9 years since i was ten, and i still find it a great game now.
send me an e-mail and i'll try and get those songs for you.
best reg

2007-01-31 17:34:54

Personally Davy, score systems don't really matter to me all that much in games, even something like Troopanum or Pipe 2, I play mostly to get all the enemies and experiences of the game and of course get to the ending. This is why I liked Superliamd and shades so much, sinse the scores really didn't matter.

as to lives though, I think my favourite live system is the one employed in Mega man games. You have three or five lives to complete a level, and once they're gone you need to start that level again, but if you finish the level, the game is saved and you won't need to finish that level again (and sinse some of the Mm games have pretty hard levels, you certainly wouldn't want to do them again!). this way you have challenge and a penalty if you lose, but don't have to replay the entire game from the beginning every time.

Archer, the Dkc games certainly are cool, I think the first is my favourite for gameplay, but the 2nd had by far the best music! the environments in both games also rocked! i loved the way you had to use both charactors in consort, like switching to Diddy before you got in a cannon so that you'd fly further.

speaking of game environments, I always like audio games that use a wide variety of sounds and effects to create different environments (like monkey business or superliam). it really gives you a sense that your on a journey, not just playing a game, so maybe that's something you ought to think about Davy.

2007-01-31 18:53:03

I am personally very interested in an audio RPG type of game, something huge and including random fights and such. Not simple, like Last Crusade, but in-depth.
If possible, too, human voices in a game like that are infinitely better than synthetic ones.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-01-31 20:22:52

And another question: Side scroller or "face forward"? The great adventage of side scrollers is that they're easier to code, because you only have to worry about right and left (front and back). I guess a "Face forward" is more realistic.

And that little disclaimer again: I'm an absolute beginner, so this game is going to be some kind of learning-project.

2007-01-31 20:30:30

Indeed i agree. Looking at the capacities of Audio game maker, I think it'd certainly be possible to create an action Rpg ala Zelda, though lacking the ability to save in a game is a bit of a problem for that kind of thing.

as far as voices go, I certainly agree that for the voices of charactors in the game, human speech is deffinately a must (unless the charactors are! actually robots, as in Galaxy Ranger). But for basic information, like charactor stats or coordinates, I can certainly see the advantage of using something like Sapi, sinse it cuts down on file size, and might even be able to increase the amount of items or charactor statistics in the game, and thus make it more complex.

Afterall, attacking with a rusty dagger, blunt dagger, sharp dagger, tempered dagger, well crafted dagger and master assassin's dagger probably all sound pretty much the same, but by the time you've recorded all their names and stats, that's quite a lot of kayage.

like several other things in the audio games line, Last crusade is a reasonable first try, and with some further work done might actually end up being a decent game, but for some reason best beknown to themselves, the authors abandoned it.

It is also horribly easy!

2007-01-31 20:41:23

well, i thinmk that it should be a side scrollers. I am a great fan of side scrollers and feel there should be more.
if you need a voice actor i would like to volenteer, as i have some experience in this field as i do voices for some of my mods.
just drop me a line with a script and i'd be happy to try out a few voices for the char.
best reg

2007-01-31 21:01:39

First, any voice actors would be great! But please remember that it's going to be a free game. smile

Then I'll share my basic set-up now. In that way everyone should know why a side scroller will be useless for this one.
- You're in a canoe, travelling along a river.
- There are two types waterfalls (more about that later).
- Also there are rocks in the river.
- At the end of every level there's a assembly line that takes you to the next one (ever seen an assembly line in a river?).
- Last, you have to find a solution for some things that seem to be impossible.
- There's no mission, you don't have to save the earth or something.

Now, if you have any additions, tell me!

2007-01-31 23:22:44

Hmmm, what's this impossible business? that sounds interesting. Is the game similar to the Canoe stage of Hunter?

While games where you have to dodge or quickly react to objects coming at you in sterrio are entertaining, and certainly fun for a quick blast, there are a fair few of those around at the moment, so a litle more information about what this game has to offer would be good.

If you need an extra voice actor, i'm also available. I do quite a few things on stage, and sing fairly seriously, so am used to working with  a script. just let me know what you need doing.

As a huge fan of side scrollers myself, I'd certainly like to see more of them. Hopefully when the audio game maker is released I'll be able to put something together, sinse I've got quite a few ideas, though without a litle more info I'm not precisely sure at the moment how to produce a 2D game using it.

2007-02-01 00:45:48

I personally aree with Dark and Jade. We need an Audio RPG, even one as relatively simple as the Zelda or Dragon Warrior games. That was going to be one of my projects when Audio Game Mker was released and hopefuly updated with a Save Game feature. But an idea that reallyintrigued me, and I intend to get working on it as soon as I can, was an audio Crazy Taxi style game where you, the player, controlled a taxi driver out to make money by picking up passengers and dropping them off at their destinations within a certain time limit. But given the situation at the Accessibility Foundation just now that's going to have to wait.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-02-01 02:00:16

though the lack of a save feature is indeed a pest, it might stil be possible to create a large Zelda style game by spreading it over several different password protected game files. this would make for a slightly more linniar Rpg it's true, but certainly it'd be a step in the right direction.

I hope this trouble doesn't set audio game maker back too far, especially sinse from some earlier posts it sounds as if whether the project will continue will depend upon community support and how much funding they can get for it.

2007-02-01 09:26:54

i am looking forward to the audio game maker myself, again i have my own set of ideas, and would love to create my own side scrollers for fun, and make other little pocket games like super egg unt and supershot but in my own style.
i like the sound of the canoe game btw, and would love to hear more about it. and how about some enemies to fight off? pirana? alligators? snakes hanging from branches above you?
you can do a lot with a rainforest or jungle game really.
best reg

2007-02-01 09:30:07

The problem with a side scroller is that you can't navigate around objects, because there's no left and right.

I've never played that level of Hunter (I still need to purchase it), but what I've heard in the audio reviews sounds almost the same as my ideas.

2007-02-01 10:50:32

In main stream side scrollers like DOnkey Kong country, Your supposed to get around objects and levels vertically as well as horizontally, jumping over monsters, up ledges etc. Because the main medium audio games use is sterrio sound, You only usually get a representation of what is to the player's left and right, not what is above or below them, thus Superliam and Tarzan Jr, whilst great games, are lacking something movement wise when compared to something like Super Marrio brothers.

But we'll be seeing one truly scrolling game when Montizuma's revenge is released, sinse that involves traveling on ladders, and a similar approach could be used again to create various games (including audio mega man!).

I've had a couple of other thoughts on how to represent the vertical plane in audio, but whether they get realized will depend entirely upon the capacities of the game maker (one idea involved using an audio scan feature, but I don't think there's the facility to impliment something like that at the moment).

Yep Archer, I'll probably also start out with something symple. I've got a pretty good idea of how to recreate the old Atari 2600 game Berzerk in Audio, which would be cool for a quick run and gun game. I also had an idea of creating a collection of litle minigames, but linked together as a series of challenges set by a psychotic sorcerer.

Davy, I agree with Archer, jungle enemies to fight off on your canoe ride would certainly add something to the game, and serve to distinguish it from the stage in Hunter, where you only encounter rocks and crocodiles.

2007-02-01 14:57:34

If someone can explain me how to jump over rocks with a canoe, I'll be happy! smile Anyway, that's physically impossible.

But if someone is going to create a new side scroller, it would be nice!

2007-02-01 18:27:03

i like that canoe game but yeah it is similar to hunter. hmm interesting skype name method, i think i'll use that (any copyrights already?) smile
alright. i don't know if you've got skype but if you do, add:
w.u.v.e.r.1.
without all the periods. I'm not very keen on emailing, which i said in another topic, but yeah i use skype a lot. just add it if you have skype.
i too really like side scrollers. i actually wrote a documentation for a super liam like game. the controls are nearly the same, but with some cool different things, like new weapons and 16 different levels.

2007-02-01 18:48:13

i designed the final boss fight for the documentation. it's a spoiler below, but i will paste it it's interesting.
level 17: the base
the base of the robot. different to the lab, because it's.... well.... the final battle! all acts will be described here.
acts: 4
act 1
just go through the level, avoiding all kinds of traps... in fact, all of them. shoot the robot. he will taunt you when he is near you. he'll say things like "i shall destroy you!" "you are stupid!" "i hate the earth!" "the police are morons!" etc. when you shoot him, a sound will play. this sound increases in pitch every second. at 4 seconds, the pitch will probably be very high. this means he's about to disappear. so while the sound is playing, shoot him as many times as possible. then a special sound will paly when he disappears, and his final enemies (lots of them!) will come at you. kill them all and the robot will be back again. he goes faster this time. oh, and one more thing -- avoid the laser gun that he's got. if a beep sound begins to be heard in your right ear coming closer, jump when it's near the centre. you could outsmart it and perhaps it will move to the left, or try to lock onto you again.
after you have shot him a certain amount of times, he talks a bit and then you go onto the next act.
act 2:
the robot has transformed into a car! when you hear it near the centre, jump! then go left and shoot it a bit. then jump again. if you shoot it enough it will be disabled for a while. when this happens you can not shoot it, but you can move through the act collecting a few items. then the car will come back again! shoot it enough times and it'll blow up. then you go onto the next part.
act 3:
the robot is very, very angry now! he has transformed into a plane! he will not only try to ram your head but he'll shoot you! so when it's near you jump! after a while you will hear it try to land, duck down and  fire (your laser will be pointing upwards when you duck). you can only shoot it while it's landing! if ya shoot it enough times it goes back up again, and goes faster. keep doing this until the thing goes boom!
act 4:
this is the final act. the robot has fired a blast and it sent you into a plane. the robot is also in a plane. and just when you thought there will be information on how to shoot the thing... no! this time, you are on your own for this act. it'll give ya more of a challenge. however, the following tips will help you:
*chace the plane sound you hear around.
*your plane has side lasers, and enemies come at you. use them when necessary.
*if you hear a beep, beep, beep, centre it up aned fire. you will get an item of some sort. you can get bombs but i will not tell you how to use them! buahahhahaha!
*if you destroy the robot, you will get an amazing 1000000 points for your efferts!

2007-02-01 18:54:00

Okay, I just started with building the program. And I've already encountered a problem, but that's easy to fix.

There's a difference between Hunter and this upcoming game, and that's the way you have to play. In this game you don't have to shoot things, but you have to find solutions for little problems, and I guess there will be some of those lovely bonus levels!

By the way, does someone maybe know a good place to find high-quality sounds?

2007-02-01 19:10:58

hmm... i only know about ljudo.com, but sound-ideas.com does have sound libraries which are quite expensive but i think give you many gbs of sounds.

2007-02-01 19:15:12

I have a few of that Sound Ideas libraries, and the complete BBC SFX Library (really tough stuff), and I'm going to use these, even when they're copyrighted. All for a good audiogame! smile