2007-01-21 16:57:07

hi,
someone here had posted something about game recordings. this makes me realize i forgot to post this, this is pretty cool. there are some game recordings over at x-sight.brandoncole.net, and a whole bunch on www.asmodean.net. go to games on asmodean and go to the game audio page. most of these recordings are of bsc games, but there are a few of esp pinball xtreme old man stanley's house, super Liam, and all of the missions in lone wolf and gma tank commander as well as shades of doom.

2007-01-24 18:20:01

Hi,
Thanks for this website! it rocks!

2007-01-24 22:48:40

Sorry for posting that large amount of ... posts, but I just wanted to say that the above website has learned me how to beat Super Liam. big_smile

2007-01-25 20:42:46

hehe, you're not really nearing over seven hundred posts like me, so it doesn't matter smile
and yeah it might give you some spoilers, nice to see you've beaten super liam.

2007-01-29 07:38:38

Alright. Not to slam any developers. There's a bunch of rather more interesting game recordings on

www.brandoncole.net

These consist of samples and reviews of mainstream console and pc games. Check them out, and look into getting a ps2 or psp, because those systems rule!!!!!! Mainstream games rule too! Not that ags are bad, but look into some variety.

Discord: clemchowder633

2007-01-30 05:39:17

The problem with mainstream games is that although many of them are fairly accessible, the majority aren't. I've wanted to get involved with games like World of Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft, etc., but cannot.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-01-30 07:47:14

This is true. However, remember that at least some mainstream games are accessible. Starcraft could probably be played. Diablo would be harder, unless you memorized everything.

But in the meanwhile, games such as Rise to Honor, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, Tekken, The Bouncer, Urban reign and other such games are awesome! I wish blind game devs would make more shooters. And we're talking about shooters like Haylo and Counter Strike. Including multiplayer, good sounds and a good weapons system and shooting engine. If several devs joined together I'm pretty sure they could make it work.

2007-01-30 10:08:22

I don't think starcraft is possible as is, and am fairly sure Diablo wouldn't be even if the levels weren't randomly generated. Point and click controls just won't work for us unless the player has at least a reasonable amount of vision.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-01-30 13:39:14

Yep, using a pointer minus screen reader support is something of a nightmare, even with a small amount of vision. I've recently had several run ins with such things.

i think Max shrapnel was supposed to be an audio game in the Halo style, but with all the shinanigans surrounding Alchemy, I'm not certain what's happened to this game at all.

I do think considerably more could be done with audio games, particularly in game genre's that aren't merely based upon reacting to immediate danger but have stratogy or exploration and plot elements.

I deffinately think features like scanning haven't been taken as far as they could be, probably because of the old trouble about lack of resources.

I really hope audio game maker will keep going as a project upto the point where it is possible to create complex games with new features, such as a 2D platform game with overhead scanning for ledges, or a slightly more involved stratogy game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-01-30 16:00:12

Did I read that someone wants more shooter audiogames? Weird, there are loads and loads of them! The only disadventage is that the sounds are low-quality.

It also gives enough strategy games (ever played SOD? smile ).

I really want more adventure games. Just playing, without worries about that big monster that's behind a door that locks when you passed it...

2007-01-30 18:17:25

Yes, I know that there are shooters for the blind. Davy, what I meant was first person shooters, yes, which include SOD. However, there aren't nearly enough original fps games for the blind. A game such as Haylo would be wonderful, if we had a version of that for the blind, or a game with the same concept. That would be very enjoyable. And yes, Max was supposed to be in that style of playing, last I remember. I wish that more people would try and make games such as that.

2007-01-30 19:45:51

Hmmm, when I was talking about exploration there, i had adventure type games in mind though the term "Adventure" is a litle misleading, sinse Hunter billed itself as an adventure game, even though it's generally an action game.

shades of doom being stratogy? personally, i'd think of it as deffinately a first person shooter. When I was thinking of stratogy games, I meant things like Galaxy ranger or (to some extent), lords of the galaxy, games that involve planning out a campeign, managing resources, understanding information and reacting to what the computer or other players do with appropriate stratogy. Of course, games that combine elements (the way Galaxy ranger combines stratogy and shooter), are certainly good.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-01-31 11:37:26

I have come across a utility that claims it can allow use of a mouse pointer by a joystick, and can supposedly be set up so that movement controls position not speed. I haven't tried it yet, but if it works as advertised it would mean that if the mouse pointer were positioned in the centre of the screen initially you could use the joystick to roughly guess where on the screen you have the mouse and move it around. Not sure whether any games could be played like this.

I'm considering whether it would make playing Diablo 2 vaguely possible with sighted help, probably in a multiplayer situation with someone I know well, but even if it were possible it would be rather cumbersome and you would have very low effectiveness.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-01-31 15:47:35

Hmmm, I recently tried a program that involved use of cursers to move the mouse pointer, but as some of the icons were extremely small, it wasn't exactly useable. What was extremely irritating is that the program involved a few keyboard short cuts, and many things in it could be done directly through windows explorer (opening it's files for example). Because of these features, I have contacted the developer, and did get a response, but I'm not sure what'll come of it.

I don't know who started this hole mouse pointer graffical user interface malarchy, but they need shooting! While using command prompts line isn't easy, at least it's possible to learn.

2007-01-31 21:55:08

lol, well if you are familiar with the DOS edit program you could easily imagine it starting there to help sighted users select text faster etc. From there on it could have grown to where it is now.

Disclaimer:
I am not saying this is how it happened, just how my brain reconciles it in an evolutionary manner. It may be along these lines, or may not.

cx2
-----

2007-01-31 23:53:17

Wikipedia hath the answers methinks, though whether I can be bothered to look them up is another matter.

As with many things in computing Cx2, the doss edit program is something I know in theory rather than ppractice.

with the way some developements are going at the moment, I'd imagine soon sited users will dispense with the keyboard almost entirely. Then we'll have to wait until speech recognition is developed, and given the current focus on point and click technology, that'll probably be a loooooong time. It'll be interesting to see which developement happens first, speech recognition for computers or nerve regeneration!

Good god! the enterprise crew have such an easy life, even counting the Borg!

2007-02-01 15:03:09

I looked up GUI in wikipedia and it only talked about it in reference to operating systems with programs in windows sadly, not sure if there is another topic that would fit better.

Dos edit pprogram was very simple, you had a large edit area filling most of the screen much as in notepad. There was a menu bar over the top as in windows, and a crude looking scroll bar on the right possibly another along the bottom I don't recall. It is basically a quite crude full-screen notepad style set up, with the mouse cursor being the shape and size of one character block given that DOS generally used a screen of 80 by 25 blocks I believe. Use by keyboard was perfectly possible, but selection was more convenient by mouse. Naturally the alt key filled the same function it does today.

My thinking was that the mouse could easily move from a simple selection tool to being used in the menus, then increase the the finesse of the graphics so you can fit more in and include icons, throw in programs running in windows and you pretty much have windows 3.1.

cx2
-----