2020-03-10 20:46:32

Well, I got the PacMate.   The  only problem is, I had a different cable then the   PacMate uses. I thought I had the right one, which, I mostly did, the voltage and amperage were correct, but it didn't match the connecter. I'm going to go to a local computer store and see if they might have the  right connecter.  It's a genaric 3 amp 12 volt AC adapter, so I thought it would've been the same as the mPower, book port DT, and many other devices that use that same style connecter, byt this one is a little different, On the usual jacks, there is this little pen in the direct middle of the port. On the PacMate, the pen is towards the top instead. I also need to find some compact flash cards, and a usb reader so I can actually transfer shit to and from the device, and have more than the standard 64 megs of storage it comes with...  and if anyone has any pacmate software that you can give me, that would be fantastic. I'll be trying to use this for a week, if all goes well, in replacement of my polaris for word processing and intertainment, because the polaris is buggy and I'm waiting on the next firmware update.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2020-03-11 03:36:26

Yeah, the Pacmate is cool! I have an old Omni a friend gave me, her not knowing the braille display was beat up. Silly seller didn't tell her. Yeah, not sure if he forgot? Or didn't know himself, or maybe, just didn't care. But in either case, I still try to use it anyway, even though the display is busted and the battery doesn't stay on very long.

2020-03-11 04:08:32

I thought the unit had 128 MB of storage, not 64. As for applications, you can always try some audio games. For instance, here's a link for Audio Archery that should work with Windows Mobile.
https://agarchive.net/games/lworks/arch … t%20pc.cab
Here's Chopper Challenge.
https://agarchive.net/games/XSight/chop … mobile.cab

I wouldn't recommend connecting it to the Internet. It's using an ancient version of Internet Explorer that probably doesn't work well with modern websites. There may be a ton of malware out there now, so it's not worth it IMHO.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2020-03-11 06:30:41

the omni has 128 mb of storrage. I hve the pac mate bx from 2005 or 2006.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2020-03-11 06:32:03 (edited by techmaster20 2020-03-11 06:33:57)

Amd as for internet, I wouldn't be browsing with it because the version of IE that it has... Meh. The only reason is for internet capable apps like GS player, and what not. and I thought I remembered finding a zip archive with all the games for the pac mate like Eamon, Drug Wars, Chopper Challenge, Etc...

2020-03-11 07:48:30

Speaking of GSPlayer, I was able to compile it for desktop versions of Windows. If anyone is interested, I can post the download link to the installer.

2020-03-11 08:47:18

Could you do a Pacmate recording sometime demonstrating the old features and some of those games like Audio Archery? I'd be really interested to hear that.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2020-03-11 12:27:40

@56: how did you do it?
@57: you are not the only one. I really want that demo, or I'll cry lol.

2020-03-11 16:32:35

Some of these prices on eBay are laughable. $1,500? Yikes.
I'd be interested to hear your experiences with this unit. I'm all for preserving old tech.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2020-03-11 16:53:48

I threw my unit away a couple of years ago because it wouldn't go 3 or 4 minutes without needing a reset. The Braille Display finally gave up on me as well.

I first got mine back in 2006 or so. I used it from 2006 up until mid 2011. I used it as my main note taking device from my last year of high school all the  way through college. Around mid 2011, I began moving toward a laptop for note taking because the software just wasn’t keeping up with the changing times, and I was starting to notice some issues with the hardware.

I stopped using the unit in 2012 because it needed to be reset every few minutes. I did use the Braille Display for about 4 more years as a display for my computer. Once the display went out, I went ahead and pitched the thing.

2020-03-11 22:09:44

I will be doing an audio review of my experiences with the pac mate as soon as I can get a power cord. I guess getting compact flash cards isn't quite necessary for getting it up and running. I'll describe what condition it was in when I got it, demo some software, etc, and speaking of software, Datajake, could you help a bruhtha out and gimme some stuff to use?

2020-03-12 03:25:30

I pulled out my book port a bit ago. I have the oridgnal. lol

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2020-03-12 05:46:27 (edited by techmaster20 2020-03-12 05:49:06)

I'll be searching for a Charger tomorrow. I'll be Amazed if I can actually Find one, and even more so if the thing still manages to hold a charge. And I don't know if you would be allowed to do this, but it would be cool to be able to get my hands on  the braille soft games for the PacMate.WhenI tried to get to the web site I got sent To some survey that Was not unlike a Census  form, With website nowhere to be found except for questions about my income, household, political views, the corona virus, etc. With no obvious indication that the site still functioned.

2020-03-12 18:24:12

The only notetaker that to this day can let you fully edit and read Word documents... The only notetaker to date that let you edit and view Excel files (including formulae!)

I don't remember if you could actually create Powerpoints on the thing but you could definitely view them.

The closest even BrailleSense came to this was writing an "Excel Viewer," but you couldn't actually edit Excel files.

I loved my PACMate through university and was sorely disappointed when I got a BrailleSense (for all its shiny new hardware it sure didn't do half the stuff the PACMate could do.)

As for WM access, you got it all. They hadn't locked anything down. Not like both Humanware and HIMS that give you an adapted layer on top of WM.

To date I haven't found a device that matches the power of the PACMate. In fact, the BrailleSense was so bad they called having a text-only browser a "new feature." LOL.

2020-03-12 20:07:55 (edited by Chris 2020-03-12 20:23:43)

The ElBraille is probably the best modern device we have today. Still, I know what you mean. I never used a PacMate, but it does seem to be the coolest device of legacy note takers.

Does anyone know what the specs of the previous PacMate models are? I think the newest one has 128 MB of user storage, 64 MB Ram, and a 400 MHz ARM CPU. Those are laughable specs today, and maybe even back in 2007. Still, if what I heard about the unit is correct, it managed to do the most with Windows Mobile than any of these other devices. Can the PacMate still be used to authorize JAWS for Windows?

2020-03-12 22:00:04

With the
Orbit Reader 40 braille display and notetaker, the Orbit Reader 20 Plus braille display, and the Orbit Writer Smartphone Companion (which I'll be buying for myself at some point in time), either one could be good replacements.

Not sure if it needs a separate topic really, but just wanted to share what I found for good replacements.

Although the 20 Plus and the 40 are $700 and $1400 respectively, the Writer is only $99! The writer reminds me of the Key Maestro External
Keyboard for the Trekker and Maestro GPS/PDA package.

2020-03-12 22:12:49

I haven't even used the pac mate yet, and I'm already seeing a very similar approach to the note taker in what they did comparing to HumanWare. The PacMate didn't modify the windows CE experience so heavily unlike the other windows CE note takers of the time. They perfectly managed to make a ballenced hybrid of blind friendly note taker and main stream, something that anyone would know about if you mentioned the Today  screen, for example. HumanWare did this about 10 years later with the touch. Although you can't buy a touch with out a braille display, I feel that HumanWare might have taken a few ideas out of Freedom Scientific's book. The fact that when the omni came out, they offered the possibility of sending in your PacMate BX or QX, not the first gen, I forgot what they called it, but the point is, you could send in your BX or QX and they would turn it into an omni. Sense the omni used the same body as the previous generation they would replace the internals and send it back. Doesn't that sound familiar? Also, again, the idea of not modifying the experience of the OS too much beond original was done with the touch, not necessarily with the home screen, but all the apps minus HumanWare's apps are straight up stock android. The HumanWare apps also had user interfaces that didn't feel out of place on android, unlike the polaris where even though the apps under the hood are completely different, if you had a win CE model before the polaris, you wouldn't notice any differences in the default hims apps because they made them function exactly the same. So, I find it funny that 15 years ago, the philosophy of the PacMate is finally being taken  up by the companies that thought the PacMate was too complicated, and said that it wouldn't work. When I make my audio review, I will talk more about this, and even include snippets of a certain FS cast episode where Jonathan Mosen was talking about the at the time, not released omni, because some of the points he made about the PacMate philosophy still stand true today. Example, he was talking about why their unmodified, fully open windows mobile experience was better than the other note takers, and he said something to the effect of When you buy a note taker most people buy it to meet their needs that they have at the moment, school, work, etc.  As you live, your needs might change, and if your nlote taker doesn't change with you, it quickly becomes obselete. I fully agree, and there's plenty of proof. Let's compare the BrailleNote apex, and the BrailleSense on hand, plus, and later on, the u2. The apex was basically the same as the mPower, accept with more storage, more ram, a newer version of the OS that they never took advantage of, and a better processor, more up to date IO and a new form factor. Software wise, it was the exact same as the mPower. The BrailleSense did things that HumanWare claimed to be impossible, like YouTube, Imap support, shuffling playlists, recording in daisy, a better file explorer that had more clear support for  hierarchical directories, FaceBook, Twitter, need I continue? Even though they were both technically closed off heavily modified systems, the BrailleSense was far more capable. As for the specs of the PacMates, the 400 series had windows mobile 2003, 32 megs of ram, 64 megs of flash that was reserved for the system files and other things, but you couldn't store anything on it, it also had an intel xScale arm processor clocked at 500 or 520 mhz, I forget. The omni uses the same body as the 400 series, but updated with a 128 mb flash disc so data wasn't stored in ram anymore, if you ask me, they should've done that from the beginning, the mPower was the exact same specs, accept with a lower clock speed, I think like, 480 mhz. I mean, why would you store everything in ram? That's just asking for trouble. This explains why on both the first gen and the 400 series the device would shut off at 12 percent, to provide you with enough standby time to find an outlet. The omni was also upgraded to windows CE 6.0, and funny enough, it was the first note taker to jump to 6.0.. It was released in february of 2007, and the fs cast episode about the omni came out  in july. The apex wasn't released until 2009, and the BrailleSense u2 wasn't released until 2012 I think.

2020-03-12 22:19:36

The download link for the Windows version of GSPlayer is http://grossgang.com/utilities/GSPlayerSetup.exe
Speaking of games, there is a version of the Frotz interpreter for the PPC. It can be found at http://ifarchive.org/if-archive/infocom … tz_04b.zip
I haven't tested it yet, since I don't have My PACMate with me at the moment.

2020-03-12 23:57:05 (edited by techmaster20 2020-03-12 23:57:52)

how do you add plugins and what not? I assume that's how the BrailleSense got youtube.

2020-03-13 23:48:07

I don't know how, but the damned thing is holding a charge! I just got a power cable today.

2020-03-14 00:30:20

Wow... Just wow.

2020-03-14 00:54:14

Is the unit running Windows Mobile 6.5? I know the latest version of the firmware is 6.5, but is the underlying operating system still running 6.0 from 2007?

I completely agree about Humanware and their lack of innovation. Look at the Apex, which didn't really add anything new or revolutionary. The original BrailleNote Touch is stuck on Android 4.4, the newer one is still running 8.1, the Stream and Trek products aren't being updated with interesting new features, etc, etc, etc. Hims has some interesting stuff going, but they're also significantly behind. I wish I had received a Pac Mate omni instead of a BrailleNote mPower. While the mPower was the device that got me interested in computing, the PacMate would have been so much more versatile.

2020-03-14 02:19:38

Neat you got it working. Would love to hear any kind of recordings you make interacting with/using it.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2020-03-14 02:25:44

Chris, I didn't get an omni. I got the gemn before that. It runs pocket pc 2003 and win CE 4.20. Same as the m power. I also just purchased an internet card, a 16 gb compact flash, and a USB reader so I can transfer stuff to the card and then put the card in the PacMate. I'll start on the audio review when I get familiar with it and have my accessories.

2020-03-14 02:56:57 (edited by queenslight 2020-03-14 02:59:33)

If yall remember the FSCast from
September 2010,
PacMate Omni 6.5 came out around the same time Jaws 12 did, out of all things.