2012-05-14 17:59:04

Hi.
So, I was browzing the front page of this sight, and saw a link called updates. What does this link do?

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2012-05-14 20:12:18

Surprisingly Briant, the updates link actually shows you which entries in the db were last updated, though doesn't mention what updates were made, only that the page or description was changed.

Of course, sinse there was a possibility that it caused tiny electronic goblins to jump out of your monitor and eat your face off, asking this question was a better way of finding out than for instance trying the link for yourself, big_smile.

Not that I mind answering questions, but I would've thought this would've been pretty obvious, and even if not, easier to find out than to ask about.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-05-14 20:24:25

Yeah, I probably should have found out for myself, but I can sometimes be too much of a question asker, and not a find out for yourself person.
lol

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2012-05-15 07:47:47

Well maybe asking the question "what happens if I start investigating instead of asking questions" might be helpful :d.

Seriously briant, in computer matters, as indeed in a lot of life, you can learn a heck of a lot more by just trying things, indeed that's how I got most of what I know about computing.

i used to have a wonderful typing and It teacher who taught me to first off use Hal on a very old laptop running windows 3.1. Whenever I asked her what something was her response was "well try it!" and so I did.

Unless you do something really! stupid like try that reformat option or open a mail full of viruses, your really not going to cause major trouble with a computer, still less when dealing with reliable websites such as this one, (indeed, if you've got a reliable antivirus and know where the alt and F4 keys are, you don't need to even worry about unreliable sites too much as long as you take any warnings seriously).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-05-15 18:37:18

Well, I trust this sight fully, because the moderators do a great job, and stop any trouble that might arise.
Well, I use security essentials for a antivirus program, and it gets the job done quite nicely. It removed a virus the other day that I didn't even know about.

2012-05-15 20:45:59

I grabbed XP for the first time in 2003 and took it for a spin.  I had used a windows 98 machine before, but had only touched the icing on the cake, as they say.  I was sort of freaked out and too scared to do anything else.  Then someone gave me the most valuable piece of information I could ever have gotten regarding computers, and a bit of advice that I always pass along to anyone and everyone who still feels awkward using them.  The advice?  The less you know about computers, the less you have to worry about messing them up, which is why you should just dive into them with no regret.  Those who are greater with computers will always be able to help you fix them, because they've probably already worked on messing them up in ways you can't even imagine.

Example: the first time I touched msconfig I disabled my soundcard.  smart, isn't it?  the thing is, I already knew what I had done to mess it up; it was only a matter of getting sighted assistance and backtracking.  It's never happened again.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2012-05-16 10:27:49

That's really true nocturnus, and indeed my own experience was very similar. When I started with xp in 2002, basically all I'd used a computer for before that was word processing, however once I got online and once it proved computers could also do fun stuff, I was interested to try things.

I think the most dire thing that ever happened to my computer in the early days was the user account crash (one of several user account crashes), that happened when I tried installing the first version of net framework to play some of Tom wards' games.

Luckily, my friend who is now a professional software engineer was on hand to fix it. He gave me the wonderful peace of advice that as long as you back stuff up, there is nothing short of running your pc over with a truck that can go so wrong with post 98 windows that it can't be fixed, even if it takes a reformat, and there are few problems so serious as to even require one of those.

2012-05-16 19:25:45

Hey,
If you need to be completely safe, you should just install deep freeze, and then you need to disable that before anything is saved to your selected partitions, anything else is deleted at restart.
Marc

2012-05-17 00:09:30

Save anything! even just a text file or something to your favourites? or game progress?

I don't personally like the sound of that myself.

2012-05-17 03:56:47

I've seen the deep freeze software in action, and I'll be the first to say that while it does have its benefits on public computer systems such as those in libraries, schools and other such organizations, I'd never recommend it myself for personal use on a computer, unless you have crazy children who tend to get into your computer to play games and the like, at which point I suppose I might retract a bit on that statement.  Otherwise, I find it a rather annoying program to the extent that I actually begged and pleaded with my own school to take it off one of their computers so I could use JAWS successfully back in o4.  they didn't comply, but I wish they would have; changing configuration in jaws was hard enough on its own back then; no jaws startup wizard, no quick settings center.  Every time I turned the thing on I had to reconfigure all over again. sad

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2012-05-17 12:07:07

That was a quite interesting story, I had the same problem with my school in 2005, but now I use deep freeze on my c: drive and let my d: drive be writable.

2012-05-17 12:51:12

To each his own; I guess I'm not that concerned with safety or something.  Then again, this is the same guy who surfed the net without an antivirus program for nearly two years, diagnosed his own PC issues and proceeded to clean house as he saw fit and knew how; the same guy who prefered removing Norton's nonsensical and inefective so-called security preventatives, combing the registry for every last trace of the junk; the same crazy guy who has little fear for the word malware because his friend Google has everything he needs to know and he can find the answer with a bit of patience.  smile

Back in 2006 I didn't know of any free antivirus alternatives, and Norton looked clunky; even without knowing very much about protective software for one's computer, I knew I didn't want to use Norton's anything for anything at all.  Eset's products were, unfortunately out of my budget range then as well, which, at age 17, included zero dollars; my parents have always been quite tyranical and oppressive.  Even now at 24, they still do their best to ruin my life, insisting that they alone know what's best for me.  smile

A bucket of crabs truly doesn't need a lid; once one climbs to a certain point, the others are they're to bring it back down.

2012-05-17 13:14:13

Funny, I just read that analogy in unseen academicals by terry Pratchit the other day, (probably the best diskworld novel I've seen in a long time, maybe even better than my old favourite small Gods).

That is however very dire regarding parents. is it sight related? or just general tyranitude, bad either way.

Actually though i sympathize with the lack of antivirus. my colidge network auto installed Mcaffi, which was a nightmare, sinse the network wouldn't let you change mcaffi's settings or do anything with it, and on the occasion the network itself got a virus (ironic given their antivirus paranoyer), Mcaffi, ---- not the virus was the thing that crashed my computer by conflicting with supernova at startup as it attempted to utterly freeze my C drive.

After that when I moved out of colidge in 2007, the last thing I wanted was something like that.

I did however get a virus due to accidental opening of a dodgy mail, which was entirely my fault and could've been avoided if I'd just looked at what I was opening, and at that point dolphin recommended avg to much it, which I've used ever sinse.

I will say that the lack of easily configurable options was one of the things that turned me off jaws when i tried it. In Supernova for instance, I have punctuation levels set differently for different reading methods, so if I'm cursering around an eddit area or writing it reads much punctuation, but if I'm using the virtual focus on a webpage or text application, or doing continuous document read there's zero.

Lack of this in jaws I found quite frustrating, so I'm glad that that aspect of Jaws has changed to make things easier.

2012-05-17 14:00:23

HI Dark,

My parents have always been way over the top; woefully ignorant and convinced of their own wisdom being the key to everything in life, including their children.  I honestly believed when they converted to Christianity a couple of years ago they would be less so; I'm not really sure what brought on that insane thought... maybe, hope?

I suppose it turned out a little worse for me than my siblings, firstly, because my parents favor my siblings more than myself, probably owing to the fact that I am blind and they aren't, I wouldn't know, and also, because of the fact that I am blind in itself, to which they have not bothered to cater to in the slightest; nothing has ever been labeled for me by my parents; they never bothered to educate themselves for any reason on blindness and what it meant for me.  I suppose that my being fairly selfsufficient from God only knows when, insert some early age here, didn't truly help the matter much; perhaps they just assumed I could do anything and everything and that nothing was too complicated or too much.  Maybe they believed I was a miracle of a kid that was best left alone to his own devices and who didn't need atention.  Whatever the case, here I am today, raised by myself for myself, not truly knowing why and or what lies beyond me at this point, but hey, that's part of the game, isn't it? smile

Ok, back to the topic at hand; to be fairly honest, though JAWS has had many features aded in and there is now a quick settings center, I don't honestly believe it improved on the fact that: A, there is a massive bulk of features that are rarely if ever used for anything by most people, and B, everything you knew in versions of JAWS prior to this one is completely useless now as far as configuring the software goes.  ON the other hand, there is some rather impressive and extensive search functionality built into it as well, which allows one to try and find features to enable/disable by typing in querys and the like, but to me, at least, it proves what I just said, that the thing is a tremendous pile of bloatware that could be improved for many by either removing the stuff that no one truly uses, by offering a couple of versions, one that is exceptionally configurable for the full price they have now, and one that is not as customisable and without certain things like ResearchIt; seriously, who needs a search engine built into a screen reader?  Oh wait, I have a few contacts in my list who can't use google.  Hahaha!

2012-05-17 17:50:59

a lot of what Jaws does seems pretty crazy to me, including the update payment plan, but lets not get into that, suffice it to say I love the ability to configure settings in Supernova, it's just a shame that Dolphin are sitting on the api and won't give it to anyone, sinse while I can certainly say supernova does fine at general tasks of reading, lack of direct speech support from audio games and other programs is a serious pain. I have freely told Dolphin that people are being turned off using it by this, ---- and frankly I can't blame people sinse not everyone wants to go to the trouble of acquiring a decent sapi voice to run with stuff, but dolphin don't seem to take notice.

At lest supernova remains good at what it does, and for other stuff I don't mind using Sapi, plus it's not going to cost me the earth to upgrade it which helps.

On the parents thing, well I've heard of cases like that before. Ultimately though, what you ahve to do with them is your business, being related to you really only means anything if it's helpful.

A friend of mine who'd just about disowned her parents used to say "blood is thicker than water, that's why it floats to the top as scum!" big_smile.