2007-02-20 19:51:06

Hello everyone,
I thought I'd post this here to reach a greater number of people.
Since the audio game maker utility does not support midi files, Here's what I wanted to offer to all of you:
if you wish to use midi files in your games and aren't sure how to convert them or don't have the software capabilities, please feal free to send them to me at
[email protected]
I would be more than happy to convert them into mp3 files for you.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2007-02-21 17:59:42

also, i have a friend, and he has a reall cool keyboard.
but if i convert the software to wav, it uses the wingroov synphersizer but i want it to use his keyboard.
what can i do? that way he can send me his midi files and i can somehnhow find a way... any help will be apretiated.

2007-02-21 20:05:48

The way is not to use midi. As I understand midi it does not store sound, it stores instructions for playing it. Similar to how the clipart WMF files don't store pictures but instead instructions on how to draw them.

If he could wire his keyboard to the line in of a PC sound card he could record it however he wanted, be it wav or mp3.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-02-21 22:36:49

Well, almost every PC is covered with a Roland MIDI synthesizer (that Microsoft stuff) or a Yamaha one.
For example, the background music in Old Man Stanley's house has been played by a Roland device.

But I wonder why someone would use MIDI files, they're small, but also dull sounding. They're not as exciting as acoustic music.

2007-02-21 23:00:57

Midi isn't a new format, it has been used for goodness knows how long back when a megabyte for a sound file was a fairly big price to pay.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-02-22 23:04:49

yeah,
a midi file is a sequence of music notes that is played back on a synthesizer on your computer.
this explains why it will often sound different if you try to play it back on a different computer.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2007-02-22 23:34:38

I really like those beeping sounds that early games produced using the soundcard. They were even better than MIDI!
Well, they're worse, but it's good stuff to compare with a current game when the developer thinks that his games sound really ugly.