2007-01-11 09:00:33

Technoshock is a first-person 3D shooter in the style and spirit of the classic 3D shooter game 'DOOM'.   Like traditional shooters, Technoshock lets you control a hero in a 3D environment, with robots nd cyborgs attacking you. This game is distributed as free software.
Game Features: 6  thrilling levels to explore; 9 unique weapons to use (include bazooka); 8 types of robots to defeat (include woman-cyborg); 5 difficulty levels; support  mp3, ogg sound formats as background music and m3u playlist with internet-radio links.
Language: now you can download English release.
Click here to visit description and download page.

2007-01-11 18:54:23

Certainly, I've tried it out. It's very similar to shades of doom, ----- using many of the same sounds and keystrokes, and maybe the same engine (apparently the Gma engine is for sale).

I did find the game to have a few rough edges, such as the scope not seeming to work properly, and the compass directions occasionally being spoken in russian, but I think when it's finished it'll end up as a good game.

Btw Elliott, I've never come across a main stream game describing itself as an "Audio shooter", if you visit the page with the description it's stated very explicitly that this is a completely accessible audio game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-01-11 19:18:24

elliott wrote:

Is this game accessible to the blind?

Hi,
Yes, it is.
Do you have a problem with accessibility?
Really, this game is more difficultly, than SOD. However this game was developed Specially for advanced blind gamers.

2007-01-11 19:25:32

Just looking at the game's page now, a little note that might help to avoid confusion. I could be wrong but I don't think there was ever an AMD K6 series CPU at 600, the highest I ever heard of was 550. You might want to say K7 or just AMD without specifying a type.

I'll comment on the game after I've pulled it down and tried it a couple times.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-01-11 20:08:19

dark empathy wrote:

such as ...  and the compass directions occasionally being spoken in russian

Solution:
1. Open game folder (by default: "C:\Program Files\Tiflocomp Games\Technoshock").
2. copy east.z, north.z,  south.z, west.z  files
from "messages\eng\" folder
into "sounds\" folder.
Enjoy!

2007-01-11 20:27:50 (edited by cx2 2007-01-11 20:28:41)

They are often spoken in English, here's what I noticed:
Upon moving into another room the directions are spoken in Russian
Upon using alt + left/right arrow to turn directions are from then on spoken in English
Until you move into another room, even one you previously visited.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-01-11 21:44:20

I'm sorry if I gave the impression that russian directions was a problem, it really didn't matter all that much.

to be honest, the most serious trouble I had with the game was the lack of scope, particularly as the targiting of enemies in the game seems rather fine tuned (as you say, this isn't meant to be an easy game). Also, perhaps a learn game sounds menue might be helpful. Lots of things in the game seem to immit bleeps (understandable given the fact that the enemies are robots), but quite often I found myself dying because I didn't know which bleep was which.

I also had minor trouble with some of the speak keys, like the speak co-ordinates key.

but sinse the version is listed as Beta, I'm guessing that more work will be done on the game to correct these minor problems. sinse I'm a big fan of exploration games, this is certainly a game I'll be playing fairly frequently.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-01-11 23:54:27

s
p
o
i
l
e
r

s
p
a
c
e

You have to find the scope to be able to use it. As far as i know, its somewhere around the elevator on story 1.
The game is quite good, its sounds could be better in some situations.
For me it was quite difficult to find exits which you had to go through garbage to reach.
After all, it is a beta, and hopefully it'll be improved.
Keep up the good work.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2007-01-12 08:23:10

robjoy wrote:

...For me it was quite difficult to find exits which you had to go through garbage to reach.

Hi,
most likely, you are right that  The game has few speech messages about necessary  direction to move. However it is made advisedly. Please,  fix attention on surrounding sounds (equipments, an acid, a flame and other objects. The game hasn't useless sounds. in many cases you can find the appropriate sound as  a necessary  reference point.
It isn't walk, it is the real fight!  smile

2007-01-12 16:30:03

I too like the game, but I agree with a lot of people. There ought to be a sound descriptions enu so we know what sound means what beforewe even start the game. Not all of them, mind, but some of the general ones.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-01-12 22:48:18

hello,

as about for learn game sounds features in audiogames my views are:
in sirten types of games you could pooll in a learn game sounds menu without any trubble since it wouldn't take off from the actual plesure of discovering the sounds your self, but in  most games, or anyway games that are a bit more than the arcade "game over- type games" encorperating a learn game sounds menu is very childish in some way, since you asume your gamers won't make any effert in trying to understand the different meanings of the game and it's sounds there selves and just hand them in a reddy-made packege with "hey listen to that,"boom...", that is when you shoot"or"die sound is like: and then playing a scream"
I never herd about a mainstream game with "learn game pictures" listed in the game's main menu.

so basicly what I say is: keep learning with the old "tryel and error" method instead of expecting that everything would be predone for you
thanks for listening,:)
regards
Yakir Arbib

2007-01-12 22:59:35

I have to disagree slightly with the previous poster.
Pictures, if well-executed (and most are these days) are fairly nonambiguous. Sounds are not. I say that the sounds which are close together in pitch or sound be given for players, but not all. (for instance, enemies maybe should have sounds, and certain environment hazards, but your gun, your own footsteps, walking into walls...that sort of thing shouldn't).
Hell, most mainstream games have tutorials to explain their graphical representations of things, and while I don't think that we need our collective hands held the entire way, a bit of help might be useful. I myself didn't know about the scope actually, and got rather annoyed when the keystrokes weren't working.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-01-12 23:27:26

hey can someone post a walkthrew here?
I'm stuck

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2007-01-13 00:15:31

Maybe just a walkthrough for the first stage. For instance, there's a mosquito robot in level 1 but I can't find any insect spray. I'm assuming there isn't any on the first level, 'cuz in all my explorations I haven't found any. It's very annoying because when you go to use the toilet there it is right there. iactually had the darn thing blow it up once.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-01-13 03:18:04

BryanP wrote:

Maybe just a walkthrough for the first stage. For instance, there's a mosquito robot in level 1 but I can't find any insect spray. I'm assuming there isn't any on the first level, 'cuz in all my explorations I haven't found any. It's very annoying because when you go to use the toilet there it is right there. iactually had the darn thing blow it up once.

can you send me a walkthrew of level 3 and over?

just remove all the z , r and s letters accept the first r and you will have it

[email protected]

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2007-01-13 05:28:02

As far as learn game sounds menues go, I certainly agree with Yakir that there are lots of things that don't need to be in learn game sounds menues, and can actually spoil the game, ----- such as the sounds of enemies and certain objects. also for obvious reasons, player footsteps or footstep echoes probably don't need to be represented.

However, for navigational sounds necessary to play the game, such as door and object beacons, sounds indicating passage turns (as in Sod), and targiting sounds, I deffinately think there should be one, sinse it can save a deal of confusion. Also, when a game features similar representative sounds, a game menue might help, ----- as I said, in technoshock at first I wasn't sure which was a door indicator, which an enemy robot, and whether I'd got the scope in fact working, sinse they were all various sorts of bleep, and there was nothing to let me know I didn't in fact have the scope.

a lot of main stream games do in fact have pictures of items such as power-ups in their game manual's along with descriptions of what they do, as has already been said, most modern main stream games feature tutorials as well to explain game mechanics.

I don't think there needs to be a big menue ----- just one with a few basic sounds at the beginning, as in Shades.

It might also help to say in the manual that you don't start with the scope, to stop confusion about this.

Certainly I appreciate that Technoshock is intended as a hard game, and I'm pleased somebody has made one. I'll be interested to see what happens with the game in the future.

2007-01-13 16:41:00 (edited by cx2 2007-01-13 16:41:50)

Quite right Dark. The tutorials in mainstream games make it entirely clear what is what object in many cases, at least they used to. Many mainstream games also include interactable objects in the manual, such as switches shootable switches etc. Plus while the sound of a dieing scream is pretty obvious the various bleeps for objects like switches and terminals in Technoshock are not.

cx2
-----

2007-01-13 17:32:43

i also agree with dark.
about the game now. i don't know if it's just me, but after i press start game, the game sometimes freezes resulting in, in certain cases, me having to restart my computer. i was, too, surprised why the scope didn't work. i mean i was like what the? i am hearing nothing.

2007-01-13 17:36:08

BryanP wrote:

For instance, there's a mosquito robot in level 1 but I can't find any insect spray.

Hi,
There isn't insect spray in storey 1. retire to the elevator...  And you  unable to use the toilet  twice smile

2007-01-13 17:48:46

Maybe it's just me, but I found the mosquito in level 2, not level 1...and I have yet to find a toilet after reaching L3.

Something I would utterly love to death is a simple cheat code that allows for monster invincibility (pits still kill you and doors can still squash you, but monsters can shoot you all they want and it doesn't hurt). I'm tired of listening to my character's heavy breathing blotting out other game sounds.

Otherwise, this is shaping up to be quite a good game. A couple of notes:

1. You may want to place the scope in the first area, that way you don't have to flail against the first robot and perhaps get shocked two to three times.
2. Either kill the background sound of heavy breathing or change it to something else (faster soft heartbeat, maybe?) Ambiant sounds are already pretty soft.
3. Perhaps include either cheats, a "learn game sounds" menu, or both in a patch/update sometime.

The level layouts make sense, I liked the second level (the way it was done). Another bit of a problem I've noticed is ammo. I'm a hotshot, and I still managed to run out and kept getting killed on level 3 because all I had to use were grenades which don't seem to kill anything except me, even when I throw them while running, and then back off.

2007-01-13 18:45:41

Jayde wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I found the mosquito in level 2, not level 1...

If you found  acoustic sight (scope)  in level 1, then you must go to East to reach the mosquito and  the toilet.

Jayde wrote:

Otherwise, this is shaping up to be quite a good game. A couple of notes:...

Thanks for your advices. I read all posts in this topic carefully.

2007-01-14 00:50:06

I'm afraid I disagree with jade as far as cheat codes go. Cheats are a bonus in a game, perhaps as a reward for finishing, not a necessity. Some games are meant to be easy, and others are just meant to be hard and take a lot of practice in targiting and killing the enemies and avoiding traps.

Of course, there is a frustration factor, but this will vary betwene individuals. So long as deaths aren't due to actually unfair game mechanics, I think things are fine.

the line betwene difficulty and unfairness is obviously very narrow, so I'll give an example:

An enemy which moves a lot faster than the player but in a predictable way so the player can learn it's position would strike me as difficult but fair (as with some of the destroyers in Lone wolf),

But if the same enemy could appear at any time, from any direction and do significant damage to the player before the player could targit it would strike me as boardering on the unfair.

I do however agree with Jayde about the breathing sound effect, especially in such a concentration heavy game.

2007-01-14 01:50:07

Oh no no, please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that cheats are integral, not by any stretch of the imagination. Only saying they'd be handy. Level 2 kicks my tail every time. I've beaten it twice, but I always start level 3 with, like, 20 health and almost jack for ammo.
On the plus side, I found insect spray this time in L2 and a couple more goodies in L1 I didn't get last time. Thanks for the tip about the toilet.

2007-01-14 10:44:35

Jayde wrote:

I always start level 3 with, like, 20 health and almost jack for ammo.

You can recover your health By sleep. You can exchange your time for the character's health. Don't touch a keyboard during 5 minutes and longer (for zero difficulty level), then your character will go to sleep. Every few minutes of sleep give him one percent of health. If you press any key or your character is attacked, he will wake up.

2007-01-14 11:46:04

That sounds like it could take a very long time to get any appreciable improvement. I'm not saying it should be easy to get health back like that, just curious as to the thinking behind it since you're probably looking at the best part of an hour for 10%.

cx2
-----