2012-02-15 19:08:22

Hey all. Having a bit of a problem here. I just finished building a new Win 7 X64 machine, and all the sapi5 voices I installed won't show up in the control panel's speech listing, only MS Anna. If I play Jim Kitchen's games, I can switch amongst my AT&T and ESpeak voices. Of course, since games like Swamp use the voice from the control panel, I'm stuck using Anna and can't switch. Any ideas on how to get my other sapi5 voices to show in control panel? Thankis much.

AKA president731

2012-02-15 22:09:00

I've had the same problem with that kinda thing. I've tried selecting the narator thing in the control panel and all kinda stuff.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-02-15 22:29:15

Support for sapi changed with Windows Vista. Voices made for sapi 5 before then won't work with vista, windows 7 or presumably windows 8.
Some, like the cepstral voices have been updated, but older ones like Mike, Mary and Sam won't work.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-15 22:45:45

most sapi5 voices work just fine. Go to run and type:
%windir%\syswow64\Speech\SpeechUX\sapi.cpl
and you'll have your 32-bit sapi control panel back.
That being said, the microsoft marry, mike and sam voices won't work without some hacks. Kind of tricky getting the right files registered and put into place, but it can be done. If you have cepstral, AT&T, or something else, they'll work.

2012-02-15 22:51:45

How do you go to run in windows 7? and it's 64 bit isn't it?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2012-02-15 23:37:09

I think it's windows + r

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-15 23:40:07

Ok, I tried doing that, and it gave me an error. "The file could not be found." sad, i've been trying to do this for a year now.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2012-02-19 01:23:02

Lauren, try this file path

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech\SpeechUX\sapi.cpl

Lifted from my explorer address bar so it should work fine.
HTH

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2012-02-19 06:45:00

tspivey and Exodus, thanks both! There's one problem with my first experience into the land of 64-bit solved. Plopped a shortcut onto my desktop.

AKA president731

2012-02-19 13:57:43

Hi,
That didn't work either. sad
Thanks for trying though.

2012-02-20 18:42:29

Hi,
It's C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech\SpeechUX\sapi.cpl. It should work.
best regards,
Jack

2012-02-20 20:48:15

Hi.
How can i make sam, mike, and marry work with windows? Which files do i need to change?

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2012-02-21 00:09:47

Sapi 5 Mike, mary, and Sam can't function on Windows Vista or 7. It would be nice if Microslop hadn't messed up their own voices like that, but they did.

AKA president731

2012-02-21 19:37:17

ARe you sure that there is absolutely no way to make them work on win7?
I have the sapi4 versions, but they can't work with most games.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2012-02-21 23:40:27

Hi,
Unless you use a vertual machine of xp with vmware player, no. You can get the free vmware player
here
and xp you can get at
eurpod
It's a big download, so it takes about 40 minutes with
get right
best regards,
Jack

2012-02-22 02:26:31

bryant, I've asked that very question several places since shortly after I bought Vista HP 32-bit. Even tried to install Jim Kitchen's Mike and Mary package, and when I'd try changing the speech control panel applet to either voice, crashes and error messages right left and center. Posts to several different forums and email groups came up with a definitive "nope". As like you, I'm just glad the sapi 4 still works, even on my Win 7 64-bit, would've thought those would've been broke first, but they still work at least. It's just too bad the free sapi 5 voices are few and far between and crappy, after all who wants to play with Anna or the ESpeak voices constantly in their ear (getting shudders).

AKA president731