2012-02-05 19:29:42

hi folks

as we say in dutch

"hij is op dreef."
or in english he is reaching steam level.

is that valid english? i don't know.

anyway

visionproductions is from now on the proud owner of the second title in it's family.

it is called quest of war

this is comparable with sound rts. mission 1 is as good as my skills alow me written in code. it has a question system in it again. i try to make the game equipped with questions so you can obtain goldcoins and spent these on your desisions.

as i said the game contains one mission. and a few sounds.
with this sounds you should think of:

- sapi voicing
- money sound
- army sound
- gate sound
- background music

it could be that i've forgotten one sound ...

but if people do have better suggestions about how i can improve the game and how to do this, i'd be greatly appreciated.

i am still a novice.

enough ramblings, grab the game at:

http://www.visionproductions.site90.com/quest.htm

enjoy!

ciao

mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2012-02-05 19:59:25

Hi.
i like it a lot.
only one problem is the spelling in the game.
sorry about that. i no i woudln't like to here that about one of my games but yeah that is one problem. apart from that i really like this game.
it is orijonal and i like that. yeah it is a yes no game but it is different and i really can't waitt for an update.
great game!

I'm gone for real :)

2012-02-06 09:54:49

hi

@brad

i know that my spelling isn't the best thing ... i tried to write choise as good as i can, but the sapi voice said something like coise.

but do you want to make a list of the words what are written in the wrong way?
and how i should to write it correctly.

when i come home i'll start with writing a newer version, containing the second mission.

ciao

mike

Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:

2012-02-06 20:45:13

Hi Mike.

Nice use of sounds and congrats on getting a game up and running, however I do have some comments.

To me thus far, the game looks like a very early alpha version. I am not sure at the moment about what sort of game it is, sinse there was no way to check the map, find out what troops or peasants I had, what resources I had etc, it just seemed a series of rather quiz like questions (I wonder if you borrowed some code from your milionaire game), and it also didn't seem to make too much difference what I answered.

I'd be interested to know what you plan game wise. While obviously this was the tutorial mission and start of the game, it is very hard for me to actually pass a judgement on what sort of game this is or what you do in it, sinse this seemed just the interface for giving you the tutorial mission not anything of the actual gameplay of the game.

What their was worked fine, ---- I'm just not seeing a stratogy game at the moment, though you state that is what you are working on, ---- indeed you might considder having a more complete look at the coding for a stratogy game and perhaps showing something that at least shows the map and maybe unit creation and work before the next version, so that it's clear to people what you are working on.

The sounds were great, though i'd rather suggest you pick a different background, sinse the one you have sounds more like a creepy haunted factory than a village at war.

Also, was sapi supposed to speak the alert boxes? As it was, Sapi spoke the questions and comments from your minian, but the question alert boxes were spoken by Supernova.

Supernova was of course fine with these, I just wondered if you planned to have sapi read the lot and thus make the game a complete self voicing one, or to make it a screen reader game, perhaps eventually replacing sapi with speech files.

Other than those things, what there was worked absolutely fine, so your coding is obviously improving, ---- I just can't really see any game in this thus far, though I imagine that is what you are working on now.

You might indeed considder creating something simple to test coding before going for a full stratogy game, maybe a gamebook or a simple turn based combat stratogy game rather than a ful scale military affair like sound rts, sinse obviously you want to get your hand in and improve your skill, rather than rush into making something which doesn't come off quite as planned.

On the English issue, your actual speaking of English and phrasing is fine, ---- not quite what an English person would use, but that just makes it sound unique, rather than ununderstandable.

For instance the phrase "up to steam level" isn't an English phrase as far as I know, ---- unless it's the same thing as the phrase "full steam ahead" which means going for something absolutely energetically with all your might!

I do however like the phrase "at steam level" rather a lot! big_smile.

There is a miner spelling issue, ---- though of course English is a silly language to spell (i'm english and even I can't do it right all the time!), big_smile. For instance, choice is c h o i c e. If you have a copy of microsoft word, you might set the dictionary dropdown in the spellcheck to English, and then spellcheck your statements for the game in word before copying them into bgt.

You could also try google translator, sinse as well as translating it'll give you the spelling, especially if you just want a dudtch to English translation of a specific word.

I did even once hear of a free spelling and dictionary programm kicking around the net somewhere, ---- though I'm afraid I lost the link for it.

Apart from this, great to see that your coding is working out, and that you are up to steem level yourself! big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-02-07 14:26:46

hi

@dark

my plan was to add question boxes. but i don't know the code to make these also fully spoken. when i try to add the v.speak_wait code, a compilation error appears.

my coding isn't the best thing indeed, as i said i am still a novice. but the goal of the game is to make a sort of gamebook with parts of sound rts in it. in the first mission you should build a farm and the barracks, and as you've seen you can also build a safe.

but the actually goal is a sort of spoken gamebook with the game sound rts in mind and if you haven't done things in the right order, you've seen that the game builds the buildings and closed the gate if you haven't did so.

it wasn't my plan to build a map, but maybe i can learn it from cae_jones.
there is also a little problem with the functions, i am still busy with reading the manual. the last two days i hadn't the time, but i hope i can read it further when i come home. i am at variables at the moment.

and last but not least, everyone should start from beneed the ladder and climb up step by step.
i'll try to figure out the functions and when you press keys that perform different actions ...

ciao

mike

p.s i'll do my best

2012-02-07 16:41:15

Hi Mike.

This wasn't intended as a put down or cryticism in the sense of "what your doing is bad" heck, I'm totally in favour of people creating practice games and you've done more than me so far big_smile.

If your planning more of a gamebook with a war theme, I'd suggest instead of worrying about stuff like numbers of soldiers, instead work on some sort of tactical turn based combat.

for instance, you are told what the enemy maneuver is, how many enemies attack, and need to decide how many and what units to send against them and what sort of tactics your units will use, sort of as if you are the general recieving battlefield reports.

once enemy are defeated, you are asked about capturing teretory, recruiting more troops or defending your position.

The art in the game obviously comes from knowing when you need to take which action, rather than spacially upon the map where units were.

That could make for quite an interesting game which was at the same time not too hard to program, ---- afterall turn based combat system such as those D&D and other tabletop games use are not overly complicated in terms of numbers, but can be a lot of fun in terms fof deciding what skills to use, when to attack or defend, how best to use your weapons etc.

So this would be my advice, sort of aime for a turn based strategical combat game with an overall war theme rather than trying to replicate sound rts.

Pluss of course, ---- well we have lots of map based stratogy games already! big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-02-08 09:48:00

hi

@dark

haha, never mind, i hadn't the idea you're breaking my games down.

big smile

but your idea is a great idea, i'll put the current version of quest of war in the coolbox and will try to make the game as you've mansioned.
the only problem is, i don't really understand the manual, i've learned to program the millionair quiz by using an example game and give it my own spin, with my own questions and sounds.

the other problem is i haven't a big sound library, so a sound of a town at war i can't use. this would be a great idea to have a sound of that kind.

i'll see what i can do.

ciao

mike

2012-02-08 10:25:03

Well good luck on both counts. I'd advise asking your programming questions on the bgt forum, sinse then you might be able to understand stuff slightly better.

2012-02-11 18:59:16

Hi is this game being updated. i like it.

2012-02-18 03:45:24

I really like the game! Playing....

brad wrote:

Hi.
i like it a lot.
only one problem is the spelling in the game.
sorry about that. i no i woudln't like to here that about one of my games but yeah that is one problem. apart from that i really like this game.
it is orijonal and i like that. yeah it is a yes blood pressure medication no game but it is different and i really can't waitt for an update.
great game!

2012-02-20 02:00:52

lol we have spam.
ahahaha blood pressure. wow what next? that was funny.