2012-02-15 04:11:15

Hi

Do you know a "from dragon tongue to english" translator? I've found a long list of words, but if there's made something like Google Translate, then it would be much easier to use that. Or, if there isn't, how difficult would it be to make a program that translates, let's say "Dovahkiin, dovahkiin, naal ok zin los vahriin" to "Dragonborn, dragonborn, by his honor is sworn".

Best regards
Alex

Zu'u aan vakun ko fin vulon.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2012-02-15 14:19:37

Hi,
Unfortunately it is not easy to write a translator. Computer linguistics is pretty much in the developing stages, mainly because it relies on so many linguistic aspects, such as syntax, morphology, which too have their own problems.
I assume the dragon tongue you're speaking of has its own grammar. If this is the case, it would take at least 2 years to create, plus minus further complications, etc.
If it does not, but it has a dictionary, then its just a matter of text replacing in the source text. However this approach is rather limited, because the translator written this way would be unable to translate complex sentences and still be grammatically correct, unless those are defined in the dictionary itself. Thus, the translator would have limits defined by the dictionary you use.
This is a lot easier to create, as it does not require syntactic analysis, etc, however the moment the language becomes complex (and most artificial languages do, see Sindarin or Esperanto) the translator would become unuseable.

Hth,
Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2012-02-15 14:53:09

The gramma is the same as english, but the words are totally different.
But thanks for the answer anyway... smile I don'y think it would be so

2012-02-15 18:49:12

Hi,
I see. Based on word count (both the english and the dragon tongue has 7), you might seem to be right. In this case its just  simple replace. We'd need a huge dictionary of words. If you have one, I might be able to do something for ya.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2012-02-15 21:18:15

I have... smile
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Language

Dovahkiin, dovahkiin,
Naal ok zin los vahriin,
Wah dein vokul mahfaeraak ahst vaal!

Dragonborn, dragonborn,
By his honor is sworn,
To keep evil forever at bay!

Alex

2012-02-16 00:56:31

Hi,
Excellent. I've built a word list out of this. I will try to create the actual program this week.
Sadly it won't be perfect, as there are words which can only be used as a noun, but not as a verb and since this won'T have sentence analysis built in, it will translate the verb as it was a noun. Also, sometimes there are multiple definitions for one English word, Ive added the commonly used one over the rare one.
The dictionary will be modifiable, so as new words get added, this could be updated.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2012-02-16 01:39:14 (edited by AlexN94 2013-01-03 15:09:25)

Epic! Thanks a lot... You've now got a karma point... smile
BTW, which language are you going to make it in? (I'm just interested... big_smile)

I don't think this language is growing since it's made for the game Skyrim, but who knows, maybe some fans are bored enough... smile

2012-02-16 11:42:49

Hey,
I'm not sure yet. I have several options, we'll see smile

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2012-02-16 20:24:54

How are you going to do it?

2012-10-02 00:23:12

I have been looking for one to and so far I have only found a long list of words and the entire DragonBorn Prophecy in Dovah and english. I am finding it difficult to make sentences out of the small list of words I am givin, let alone be able to speak the language fluently. If I find anything I will be sure to share it with u big_smile

2012-10-02 15:20:40

Hi,
As far as I know, the Dragon tongue is not a fully complete language, thus it lacks some quite necessary functions of a language, grammar, syntax and speech sounds being a few.
If you have more words to add to the dictionary found in my DragonTrans program, please either contact me or reply, and I'll expand it.

Cheers,
Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2012-10-06 03:12:56

Unfortunately I don't think there are more, since it's made for the game, but after all, there are about 400 words in that list, as far as I remember... smile
It's really nice done~