2012-02-07 01:16:49

Well, when I posted on my thred "where to learn auto it", someone suggested I try Python. After 3 months searching on autoitscript.com, and the countless hours on google, I have decided to try python. What software and stuff is needed to write, compile and link my python program? P.S: will anyone betatest my program?

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-02-07 11:23:59

Hi,
The question is, what program do you wish to write?
In theory a Standard python interpreter from http://python.org can produce standard console programs, the simplest being

Print("Hello, world!")

Running the .py file will output Hello, world!

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2012-02-07 15:07:38

How do you make an message box with an OK button? smile
msgbox(0, "Hello, world!", "...")
And yes, I know it's AutoIt...

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2012-02-07 15:19:14

Well, I plan to make something simple like a text game perhaps, which I assume really wouldn't need PyGame. If that works and I can get the general programming vibe, I think I might download Py2Exe. Then, I don't really know what I'll do after that. Perhaps a word processer? Maybe a few audiogames? I really don't know at this point. I am looking for beta testers, so when I complete a few of my programs, I'll upload them to dropbox.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-02-08 21:14:28

Well, in theory if you just want to write simple Python apps or scripts all you need is the Python interpreter from python.org. I recommend 2.7 since most Python APIs etc are currently being developed for that version of Python.

Now, other things you might want to get is the WX Widgits for Python so you can create gui applications, PyGame for sound and input support, py2exe to compile Windows executables, PyHook for low-level Windows hooks, PyTTS for SAPI support, etc. There are lots of things you may want to get and use as your programming in Python grows and as you have need.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2012-02-08 23:17:30 (edited by brad 2012-02-08 23:43:40)

Hi. how could i get started in using pythan. i've looked at the tutorails but all they seams to do is talk about hello world and then other things. (ok, i didn't really look but i did about half a year ago) smile. oh yeah i think it was tward who was going to make a site with tutorals onphythan and other langs. yay can't wait. finaly  something about audiogames and other things that i might be able to understand. lol.
sorry for the bad spelling. i rote this fast.
/edit/
i am looking at the python comand line. hmm i think i like it.
i justed looked for tutorals for beginners and couldn't really find anything. could someone help. i think there is a python wiki but i don't no how usefull it is.
as for the type of programe i want to make. as a beginner i;m guessing i won't be making the next greatest audiogame lol but could i at least try for a text and sound bassed game? hmm i don't no but if someone could try to direct me to somewhere werere i could elarn good skills for that kind of thing, that would be nice. thanks.

I'm gone for real :)

2012-02-09 01:42:41

Hi,
I'd personally go for PyInstaller rather than py2exe, for various reasons.
@Brad, I believe there are some free Python books and tutorials floating around, try a web search.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2012-02-09 03:09:48

@brad: Yeah, ask doctor Google LOL! big_smile
@Robjoy: Is pyInstaller like Py2EXE?

2012-02-10 21:19:01

Hi,
There are major differences. The end result is the same, in cases even better. Here's a comparison about python bundlers, maybe it can help in deciding what'd be good for you. https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key … utput=html

Hth,
Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2012-02-13 04:51:27

Thanks robjoy. This might be a little off-topic, but how easy is it to create an account on dropbox so I can give you guys the link to test my program once it is coded and bundled?

2012-02-14 04:06:51

Creating a Dropbox account is pretty straight forward. Go to their website, fill in the form, and download and install the Dropbox software. There isn't really much too it that I recall.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2012-02-14 04:33:58

Thanks Tward. This is gonna be cool!