2012-02-09 04:04:45

Hey all.
I heard about a new upgrade for the zoom h1.
I got it and there seems to be no instructions for how one would upgrade it.
Has anyone been able to upgrade there zoom and how have you done it?
Note. I'm talking about the zoom h1 here.
It's a great little unit for 99 dollars!
Lol. I even got the extras with it as well.
Wind screen, USB cable, tripod, etc.
I would recommend it to anyone!

2012-02-09 09:11:38

You know, I've heard about it, but I think that your best bet for pretty much the same amount as the ws600 and zoomH1 together.
It's the olympus ls7 pcm digital recorder.
It has good built in speech, 3 mics, 2 stereo, 1 omni directional.
A few on board reverbs, a digital way to increase mic spread from 90 to 120 degrees.
It's got low pass filter, voice activation, 3 recording formats, mp3, wma, and wav, with a choice of qualitys.
It can play files, and it can cut out and mark peases of files.
It has 4 gb onboard, and a micro sd slot.
It's got some pretty good softwhere that comes with it on a disk for transfer, and some mixing.
It can charge off a pc, but I think the kit with the AC adapter is extra.
I think it works with usb to AC adapters like ipod and Iphone chargers.
It's got a windscreen and case with it.
O, and I'm pretty sure it reads daisy books.
But that's up in the air, I'm not sure about that.
I have one, and it's truly awsome.
Well worth the cash.
The lowest price in the states that I've seen is 166 dollars.
Vary good for recording speech,but also sfx, field recording, foly, etc.
Also, it's not a cheap feeling plastic like the not so accessible, but admittedly vary small, handy, reasonably powerful, and portable zoomH1.
It's tough feeling metal, solid stuff.

2012-02-09 14:59:25

Some info about the update can be found over here, here, and here. As for those extra features, I can care less. when it comes to recording, I want something that is easy to use and records well. When I play the records back on the PC, I want good sound. I mainly record in mp3 and wav. I also know where I can get some audio editing software. I don't know about that recorder defender, but the zoom h1 has good mikes on it. I owned a olympus ds 30 and it was made well, but I kind of like the sound of the recording that the h1 makes. HTH.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2012-02-09 23:17:53

@cw
Thanks for not only 1, or 2, but 3! links for that!
I followed the directions and it went quite well.
Well, for the most part anyways.
BTW, my .bin file is still there.
Can I kill it off the drive?

2012-02-09 23:31:50

Olympus recorders are crap. First of all, the h1 is much cheeper than the ls7, by almost half, and it sounds better. It's really simple to use, so all the speech output isn't that required (I wonder just by how much it made it be more expensive).
I have a ds50 currently, but want to switch to an H1 as soon as I can, however other things in life are taking presidence.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2012-02-10 03:17:26

It absolutely souds better then the zoomH1, you can see reviews for both on blindcooltech.
Making generallizations about a company when you don't even own the product I'm talking about is not going to make me trust your judgement.
I'm glad you know where editing softwhere is, so do I.
Was I saying, o by the way, it has a disk that has editing softwhere, but you already have some that's better.
No, I just said it existed, and it's kind of selfish to think that I'm only telling you that.
What about the people who don't have softwhere, but want a recorder.
They would be happy about the softwhere.
Did I say it was the best recorder in the world, no.
The zoomH4 is better, but double the price, and it still has more hiss and hum.
I never said I didn't like the zoomH1, I said in fact, that it was reasonably powerful, portable, and handy
If you don't want extra features then fine, go join the minority of people that don't care about a good deal, or a good universal platform like the ls7, it's great for alot of things, and the features help make it even mor diverse and flexable, which I like.
It's worth 200 dollars with no special features, in my book, and the extras are a bonus for the money.
I said first thing that it caust as much as 2 of his recorders, because I looked up both, so your statement on price is null and void.
The zoomH1 makes you pay for a kit with the esentials, while the ls7's kit just adds some things, while the asentials are already there.
It's also stronger, like I said, and that's just a fact.  There also both quite portable, the zoom morso.
I am not attacking your precious zoom, the ls7 is newer, slightly more expensive, and better in alot of ways, but that does not mean that the zoomH1 is forgotten, and my post never even hinted at that.

2012-02-10 05:12:25

If you need what the LS7 offers, then then that is the recorder for you, but if the Zoom h1 is the one for you, then get it instead. If i'm not mistaking, this question was about upgrading the zoom h1, not what recorder to replace it with. I may have some blame for getting us off topic. LOL. Omar Alvarado, I think you can, but I don't know for shure. glad those links were helpful. Guess I will see about updating tomorrow. Right now, I need some shuteye.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2012-02-10 05:53:38

Lol that's ok.
I think the upgrade was successful.
To be honest, I was going to get an ls7but for one thing, I would have had to go 3 hours away from where I was.
Plus, the thing was about 215 dollars US!
So, I went with the zoom.
It's good for now, it does everything that the dm620 does, and miles better.
BTW. the dm-620 is the watered down version of the ls-7.
I'm a proud owner of the dm-620, for the most part.
I would love to see a better auto gain, if you ask me.

2012-02-10 13:52:38

How long did it take you to do the upgrade? What did you mean by almost? What have you notest about the upgrade proccess? Does it go to the mike input after the upgrade? I'm asuming that I don't have to worry about the prompts if there any. LOL. All I really did was google it and posted the links and now I'm trying it. After you are done with the upgrade is there anything werth noting? I would like to use it as a mike with skype, but that isn't why I got it. I got the zoom h1 for recording first. I'm not saying that olympus is the worse thing out on the market, neither am I saying that the zoom h1 is the best thing on the market. Everyone that wants a recorder has to take a close look at what is being sold and compair it to what they want. Auto gain setting thing on the zoom h1 is for shure not the best. asuming what was said about the auto gain was about the one on dm-620, I can see where that could be a problem. Now to go see if that upgrade finished.

DropBox Referral

2012-02-10 17:12:59

To be honest I'm not sure how you use it as a mike.
I say almost because I'm not sure if I was successful.
I still had my .bin file there so I killed it after the upgrade.
So yeah.
Tell me if you have any better luck with it.

2012-02-10 22:50:22

Sorry about getting that upset, I wasn't really mad at you cw.
Mostly pitermach, because, while he's great in descussions, he's also vary blunt, which can be good or bad, but saying, olympus recorders are crap, in the first line of the post is a bit in your face.
That sucks that yours was 215 dollars omar, and as to sound quality, I still stand by the olympus, though the mics on the zoomH1 rock for the price.
Actually, I got you guys off topic, I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to say that you should ditch the zoom or anything, I just wanted to put it out there.
They've changed a bit in the ls7 aposed to the previous model that you own omar.
Most noteably the adition of the omni directional mic.
It adds mor base, though I wish that they'd make it possible to turn the x y mics off too, because you can only turn on and off the center omni directional mic.
Also it has a bunch of good zoom mic settings, I set mine to zoom 6 at high mic sensativity and point it in a direction, and I can here about 3 times better thrue the moniter then I can with my ears, and I've got good hearing.
That and I like that you can set it to 24 bit 96khz format, though all zoom settings have to be disabled which sucks, because your wide 1 2 and 3 settings are in zoom, meaning that your getting a vary low spread stereo field in 24 bit 96khz.

2012-02-11 00:32:30

I have owmed an olympus recorder before. I also know that with all the different recorders on the market, choosing one can be diffecult. I think that zoom h1 came out before that perciffic olympus recorder and when I was choosing an recorder at that time, I was basing the choice I made on the sound of the bilt in mikes. I wanted something that I could zoom in on the person that was in frunt of the roomm. Being able to adjust the mike gain by hand was also a plus for me, and yes recording in 24 bit 96 KHZ WAV was another good reason I used to get the zoom h1. I got it about a month or two after it came out. I do wish that they would fix the battery trouble I'm having. Just for your info, the battery trouble I'm having is that it seems to be drawing a bit to much power even when it is off. I might have gotten a faulty recorder thow. I was going to come down hard on you for going off topic so early defender, but the better side of me told me to kindly respond. After all, if I was to blame... anyway, I better finish this up before my thoughts go all over the place. LOL. Oh yeh, I will see about finding someone to read the display to me during the update.

DropBox Referral