2011-12-04 13:10:57

Hi,
Here's my first real thing.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10847682/quiz.7z
Don't forgot to copy the sound files into the "sounds" folder or it will not work. I forgot to do that. I'm such an idiot. Sorry.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-12-04 17:28:37

I tried it.

The one issue is that in the main menu, if you go below test speakers it brings up an error. I think the exit or whatever the option was sound is missing.

Apart from that though I like it.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2011-12-04 18:03:42

thank you. I'm glad you liked it. I couldn't pann the sound, that's the problem.

I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-12-05 03:52:12

hello,
I suggest that you split the left, senter, and rite or just create a beep sound and pan it.
i'll help you in paning.

This is not a signature.

2011-12-05 08:38:04

hi, burak, make it slightly better and then upload it again,
I'm not such an idiot to try a buggy and crappy version of "nothing", so.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2011-12-05 10:05:04

That's rather ... mean

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-12-05 10:21:39

Hi Sid,
There's no one calling you idiot. Try if you want, don't if you don't want to.

2011-12-05 11:37:08

As I said before, programming takes practice, and this is Burak practicing, ---- good for him.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-12-05 13:57:03

Yes. You can't do anything without practice.

2011-12-05 15:23:34

Hi burak.

Nice job on getting a working program running with bgt. I have several thoughts.

firstly, as has been said the menue cut if you went down past test speakers. Also, though I stuck all the sounds in a sounds folder, and there was a speaker test there, hitting enter on "test speakers" just exited the program.

As to the quiz itself, sapi, the alerts and buttons all worked, also it responded to the choices given.

The only problem I found was that when losing, the program cut out before sapi finished speaking the loss message. While this is fine for a short test program, obviously it won't wouldn't be something you'd want happening in a propper game. Perhaps you could try having the prgram finish the sapi speech before exiting (perhaps with a timer or a function to tell when sapi is speaking), or just return to the main menue upon losing or winning instead of exiting the program.

However your obviously going in the right direction with this, and if you continue learning about and working with Bgt will be making propper games in the future.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-12-05 16:06:31

BGT's sapi has a speak_wait method that will stop the program until sapi is done speaking. That would probably be better for messages that come before exiting.
It seems like you put this together pretty quickly, and other than those bugs that have already been mentioned, it's stable. Good job!

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-12-05 18:59:50

HI Burak,
YOu can easily pan your sounds; that's the purpose of teh pan property.
Sid: I'm not sure where you get the right to criticize something without even trying it.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-12-06 08:07:40

hi,
sorry for such a behaviour, I didnt meant to really criticize anything, and i'll try to not getting into such a behaviour in the future.

and burak, I didnt meant to offend you, but when anger overpowers someone, the consequences are not that good.

again sorry for this, i'd better not try to post on the forum when in an angry mood.

apologies

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2011-12-06 11:02:41

Don't worry sid.

You realized you were behaving irrationally, and appologized, and that takes a lot of doing.

2011-12-06 13:54:38

Oh, guys you made me glad. Thanks for pozitive comments. but I know the losing sound was shorter than the text of sapi, so it closed. But I couldn't  solve  the problem of speaker test.

2011-12-06 15:49:43

hi,
exactly. in a few months after I get some time, I'll try to check how bgt works, i've gone through the top the tutorials a couple times before, but cant figure out how come people called it "easy" and how do even novices or people who have no programing knowledge before can make such wonderful creations.
even I would want to check in the near future how "easy" is bgt to try out.

2011-12-06 16:52:10

It is easy. I don't recommend reading it alone, I got help from a few friends.
BTW, I don't need help about this panning problem, it's solved.

2011-12-06 18:37:43

Hi Sid,
BGT is not "easy" in that sense. But if you compare it to C++, for example, you'd see why we call it easy. The overall functonarily of an audiogame is there for you, no need to mess around with low level memory management and DirectX.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-12-06 19:25:34

Hi,

Actually, I'm now very interested in all the low-level stuff. Does anyone have an audio game written in C or C++ and the source they could send me?
BGT is actually really easy. There is not much you have to worry about. You can just start right off with your game.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2011-12-06 21:07:39

I could show you the code behind my sound system in java, though that's probably not quite as low-level as C would b.
It took me a while to figure out how to get java to let me adjust the pitch of sounds. Well after BGT had come out.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-12-06 21:19:27

Hi,

Sure, why not?
Actually, I'd love to see some actual Java code.
I took a few lessons at school, but kinda had to drop it, sadly. I'd love to look into it again though, just for fun.
If you want to, just send something in a PM or anything?
I'm up for it, if you are. smile

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-12-07 04:39:05

Hi,
Actually, I'd put that up on this topic: Kevin's got me curious now.
smile

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-12-07 15:00:30

@ghorthalon, I'd suggest also talking to thomas ward, sinse he uses C and is happy to discuss programming. you might want to go over to Usa games interactive and join the programmers mailing list there as well.

@Sid, Bgt is not easy in the sense of simple, but easy in the sense of focused and documented.

It's a litle like cooking. Most programming languages is like going and getting everything from scratch, huhnting your own meet, growing your own herbs and vegitables, grinding your own grane into flour, not to mention building a fire.

Bgt gives you a set of readily grown and gathered ingredients and an oven.

You stil need to learn the actual cooking, how much of what to add, for how long, techniques like folding pastry or frying, which stil requires skil, time and practice, but not half as much as doing everything from scratch would.

Ultimately, the ony way to learn with bgt is not just to read, but to practice and try things out, ---- make simple programs, try different techniques and perfect your skills.

this is indeed what burak is doing with his quiz program. It's not intended to be a majorly interesting game, but it is serving the purpose of letting Burak perfect his skills, and thus be more able to eventually write a game.

Myself, I've come to the conclusion that Bgt, ---- indeed programming generally, is something which requires dayly practice and work just like learning an instrument.

sinse I'm currently trying to write a phd thesis, this is something I can't give at the moment, but do intend to when I have the time.

2011-12-07 17:22:47

Hi Dark,

Wow, I'd have never thought of comparing it like that! That was cool!
I'll definitely keep this in mind.
And yepp, I might as well join that mailing list. Thanks for the tip.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-12-07 17:41:46

Ok, I've uploaded three files to dropbox.
Here's the basic sound player: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/SoundPlayer.java
Here's a version that supports pitch changes (it's mostly the same as the first one): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/sound2player.java
And heres the SoundBuffer object that I use for a similar purpose as the sound_pool in bgt: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/SoundBuffer.java

The sound player is based on an example I found on the internet, then modified to get it to do what I wanted. So you'll notice lots of sections that are commented out and lots of time-stamping.
The SoundBuffer is all mine, though. tongue

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.