2011-11-21 19:43:27

Hi all,

This post will be rather long. So please do excuse!
I typed up a little text just now, explaining how my current project, ScapeSkate, came to mind. Now since this doesn't have much directly related to gaming, I thought it'd fit here the best.
I tried to keep it as less geeky as I could. Why did I? Well, maybe someone is interested how things worked behind the scenes. And, I'm not done with the game yet!

How ScapeSkate came to mind

It's pretty unspectacular. So I was bored on some afternoon, if I'm not mistaken it was a tuesday. I went through my sound

folder, actually searching up sounds for one of my projects in progress, when I came across some pretty cool skating

sounds.
I listened to them for a while and imagined: "What if I were to take them and..." By that time, I had a temp folder already

created. "... make it into an Audiogame?" after that question, the sounds were neatly organized into folders, so I could

work better with them later.
Then I sat back. The chair squeaked loudly as I began thinking, interupting my thoughts for a moment. A door slammed, and

that's how the ideas came into my head. Falling right into the house with the door.
I wasn't going to go too spectacular. I had complex 3D scenes in my head, but then my other projects cried out my name.

After each became a hug and a sudden close of EdSharp windows, I had the code for the game open. But then, how to start?
With thinking. What did I need? Sound library! So, promptly, a PureAudio.dll joined the folder. What else? I gave good old

User32 a call over there, asking it to do some key handling for me. It said with proper payback, it would. So, after I got

that out of the way...
All the internal stuff started to happen. I began writing and writing...
I didn't have much in mind at first. I changed my mind about a dozen times, until I had a first, somewhat playable version

ready. It was pretty horrible, but I decided to post it anyway.
I had many ideas. The walls had been rewritten maybe 3 times since I didn't like how they came out, the sounds had been

re-done about 2 times as well.
I spent about 3 hours perfecting... Ahem, making it playable for someone.
So I gave it out to private testers. So private that I'll just name their names as Bob, Jake and... Carl? Sounds good.

Actually it was Pitermach, Robjoy or Erion or Rob, and Aaron, but whatever.
They liked it, so a first beta went out to AudioGames.net. Now since I'm not subscribed to Audyssey and hardly ever check

Klango, neither of them had a message from me, I just hoped someone would mention it.
Then, a day later, I was talking to Peter via IM. I have no idea why, but I tried to fool him into thinking I got into a

car crash... Neh, that didn't work out too well. He just knows me too good. big_smile
I just did that to pass time while I was writing on the next beta. Then, suddenly, Lirin, or Tom, began to message me. I

was like "Whoa dude! He likes the game!" to myself. He messaging me was probably the best thing that could have ever

happened to the game.
We ended up talking alot. He gave suggestions, I began implementing them. It was him who motivated me enough to make the

second beta and publish it.
Thanks to the critisizm on the forum, I had nightmares about riding a skateboard around the town, drawing an MP5 and

generally pwning everyone.
I was happy to wake up to... A very cold morning. I just knew I'd do something huge that day...
After recovering from a hangover by not drinking, and a very odd IM conversation with Erion (Robjoy on here, but you can't

stop me calling him Erion!), I thought I'd get back to work, when I got messaged by Lirin. He offered to record the self-

voicing parts of the game. I was like "Dude! No way!" and he was like "Sure dude" and I was like "Awesome man!" and he was

like... You get the idea.
I typed more code. And code, and code, and code... Until Lirin, after about just some hours, said "Dude I'm done!" and I was like "Dude! No way!" and he was like "Sure dude!" and I was like... You get the idea.
So a bit later, I had my speak functions all set and ready. With a flick of my dragony tail I put the sounds into their place, and waahaa! After just a minute of code, it worked.
I rested my paws for a little, and thinked more. Then I wrapped up the game, and magically dropped it into the Box of Beta 3. And this is what you've got now!
The game is much more developed than I had ever thought it to be. And hopefully, this is what will get me somewhat known and at least give me some reputation in the audio game world.
I can claimb myself a pretty horrible game designer, I think. Most of my games imho are a mistake to me somehow. But this one may be one of my jewls I will keep in my cave. And I'll share it with you!

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2011-11-22 04:03:55

Hi,
Yeah...I can't say some of your projects were terribly spectacular: Skiball is what comes to mind at the moment.
BUt this one is definitely impressive.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-11-22 05:23:55

so this is what scape scate is!
Lol gorthalon i am sorry for asking so harshly what the hells scape scate? i thought it was something that someone just made up to piss me off because thats happened time after time, people would be like dude, you should do voices for grand theft auto for the blind and im like does that really exist? Then after hours of looking they are laughing in my face, hahahahaha rob you fell for it, your so dumb, lol rofls. But scape scate does exist smiles.
Hope i havent made you up set on my montezumas revenge full version thread i just got upset and well, yeah, again, i am sorry, i feel so imbarrissed and stupid
Rob

I no longer use skype like I used to, so feel free to follow me on twitter at rockmasterrob for updates, to chat and all that good stuff. I follow any and everybody back who follows me.

2011-11-22 10:37:53

Hi,

Haha it's totally fine, Rob. You can't know everything. big_smile
Yeah... I should probably start all over again with all my games... I dunno. Maybe asking the community which games of mine are worth keeping?

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-11-23 15:39:18

Ghorthalon> Nice... I really like the game... (Tetris for the blind)... big_smile

Alex

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2011-11-23 17:25:49

Hi,

Tetris would be something different, though. I don't think this game can be assigned the style of Tetris, can it?
I'd call this game an arcade skating game... Sort of. Still, glad you like the game!

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-11-24 09:47:48

But I play it almost as much as my friends in the school play Tetris... big_smile BTW., I think you're right about the genre...

Alex

2011-11-24 11:20:49

Hi,

Haha big_smile It feels so so good to know people love the game. Also it's what makes it worthwhile for me. And it speeds up development too, because now I'm like motivated and stuff. tongue

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-11-24 15:41:48

Hey man, sweet! I love the ideas behind the story. but I must ask one thing. when you coded the speaker testing functions, the way it came out was like OMG! I have never seen how the functionality of the code working like that? dam! so I was wondering, how complicated was it to code the speaker testing function? the code telling it to tell the voice to say the music will move to the left side then I'm trying to see how the heck you had the music gradually move to the left and the same goes for the right. I'm sorry for the question, but I am really geeky when it comes to these things.

Jonathan Candler, A.K.A, Jonnyboy

2011-11-24 16:23:24

Something like this is actually pretty simple to do in BGT, so I suppose it wouldn¨t be too much more difficult in Autoit with the PureAudio dll, or whatever it's called, sorry for my ignorance. :-D
In BGT, you would just change the pan property of the sound gradually in a loop until it reached a certain value with some waiting in between to make it smooth.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-11-24 16:32:05

Hi Lukas,

You're absolutely right, it's PureAudio. And, I've done it just the way you assumed.
The code for this looks like this:
;From center to left
for $iload = 0 to -5000 step -20
s_setpan($FXMusic[1], $iload)
sleep(10)
Next
;From left to right
for $iload = -5000 to 5000 step 20
sleep(10)
Next
;Wait a bit.
sleep(500)
;Go back to middle
for $iload = 5000 to 0 step -20
sleep(10)
Next

I replaced the speak function calls with comments to make it easier to read for you guys. smile

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-11-24 23:07:30

Lol. I love that code. Lol.

Jonathan Candler, A.K.A, Jonnyboy

2011-11-25 00:15:44

Hi,

You don't want to see all of the ScapeSkate code. There are absolutely no comments in, which could greately confuse someone looking at it. I'll add some... Ur not just will, but must, add some in the future, once things start getting extremely complicated... Which might be the case soon with my new trick features.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-11-26 21:42:27

hello

well, as i always say this game really owns.
1: the sounds, there are awesome, when the scate rolls on the ground, or when you crash.
or even when you grind on the wall.

2: the idea, well one of the winpoint of a game developer is ideas. ideas and ideas.
and you seem to implement this part verry well.
the first time i've heard of scape scate i just said "oh boy... how can we just play this one? it might be just a simple 1mg fun game"
then after i play it, i just got that it feels so nice when you can perform a grinding on a wall, without  stopping your speed rolling.

i have some ideas that can improve your game, however i'm not sure where to hand these off to you.
like ramps, multy player game (like someone sets up a server by creating a session and another joins with connecting to that IP), diffrent kinds of scateboards (speedy, technical and stuff)
more special moves,
and some random items that you can do tricks on them.

after all, gratso, this project which you've started is p nice. at least for me lol

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2011-11-26 23:11:55

Hi,

I'm not sure about multiplayer. Maybe a race mode or something, but I'd do that when I released version 1.0 for the game... and I'm quite far from that.
I'm so glad you like the game. And sounds. And all that.
I'm always happy to receive comments and suggestions. Maybe even if there was something totally wrong with the game.
Again, I personally rate myself extremely low when it comes to creating games. I bet there are many devs who could have pulled this game off far better than me.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-11-27 00:26:00

Hmm. I personally think you need more self esteem. I like the games. I'm not nessessarily good at them, but I still like them.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2011-11-27 00:53:28

Hi,

Maybe I do. LOL. Still, people telling me they like the game just kinda feels good. big_smile
So continue doing that and the update will come sooner. Rofl!

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-11-28 09:20:05

Can you say something about what the next feature you'll add maybe could be?

Alex

2011-11-30 12:29:13

Hi,

I totally overlooked this question, sorry about that.
I've added Newbie mode quite a while ago, because that has been suggested. Then, when grinding too far on the pipe, you no longer fall off but jump off. If the end of the pipe however is above a wall, you will still fall, due to the nature of the game.
Score posting will come next, I think. I'm not sure if there was anything else I had to add except more special moves, and more self voicing and stuff.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-12-01 10:06:34

Haha, that's allright... smile
Have you published that yet?

Alex

2011-12-01 10:33:11

Hi,

I haven't published it yet, no. But I'll try to release it as soon as I can. Obviously. smile

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-12-01 11:31:34

Nice... Looking forward...