2006-09-19 22:19:53

hello,

i wanted to know that can a anty virus software scan your pc whilst it's turned off? because i have the blueyonder pc guard and it says the scedualed time for scanning is at mid night on satuday.
thanks

2006-09-20 00:48:45

No.

2006-09-20 01:08:31 (edited by cx2 2006-09-20 01:09:30)

Not quite so simple.

Antivirus software will often schedule a time to scan your system, this is checking your hard drive. Many anti virus systems also scan in the background, mainly things like incoming emails and web pages you view. The background scanning is usually a constant thing.

To turn off anti virus software you would have to make sure it is not running, or disabled. If it's in your system tray there's a very good chance it's in the background scan method.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-09-20 03:41:44

I read "it's turned off" as referring to the computer. I apologize if I misread the question.

2006-09-20 09:13:44

Ah, probably my mistake actually. Sorry.

You can always run a manual scan, or change the schedule. I'd personally go for a manual scan since it won't suddenly start scanning while you're trying to do something. The computers at the college I went to were horrible for that, if it was idle for more than a few minutes it would start scanning the network drive for some reason. The fact that you only had read access was utterly beside the point it seemed.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-09-20 14:24:08

Hmmm, Cx2, that network sounds even more evil than the one here in Durham, which insists on installing Mcaffi, and woe betide you if you try and install a different anti-virus program such as Norton.

Every month you also have to go through this Network quarrentine malarchy, which involves the network checking you've got the latest versions of Mcaffi and Spybot search&destroy installed, which is fine, accept it has a nasty habbit of turning on settings like Automatic update and pop-up blocker when you don't neccessarily want them (luckily, you can then turn them off).

Thankfully I can do what I like with mcaffi as long as I keep the background scan running, I can do manual full scans whenever I like (I usually manually scan anything I get off the internet).

the only thing is, because the auto scan starts at startup along with hal, if it actually detects a virus the detection will screw things up nicely sinse Mcafffi will conflict with hal ---- my Laptop got a virus last year from the network, and actually the Mcaffi scan caused it to crash in a much worse way than the virus did!

It might also help if the University It staff A: weren't totally paranoid about viruses (according to them if you brouse any webpage that's not approved by the uni you're going to get a rain of viruses), and B: actually knew what they were doing when you ask a question rather than repeatedly saying "Read the manual" which is considerably helpful to me as they so thoughtfully didn't provide iether a braille, tape or computer version.

Oooopse! sorry for the offtopic wrant there. On the pluss side the network connection is rather quick in terms of downloading stuff, so it's certainly not all bad.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-09-20 23:14:23

Well this was a college here in the UK so luckily it didn't impact my personal systems. The techs were just as bad though.

The IT support department swore blind, no offence, that Win 95 was more stable than 98. One time one even went up to a computer with blue screen, turned the monitor off then on again and simply declared it broken. And don't even get me started on their Novell login system, or the time I had to use supernova's magnification on a P166 with 32mb ram running Visual Basic 5 at the same time.

There are some really useless people out there in the computing field. Luckily for me, I'm not one of them.

cx2
-----

2006-09-21 01:00:50

Very true, lol.

A novel logue in? I have great fun with mine.

Officially using any Uni pc requires Username and password, but sinse the only Pc with Hal on it is this one in my bedroom, I never actuallly use such things ----- accept for network quarantine. wen I was an undergrad my Username provided hours of endless fun. It was a long and pointlesslly complex string of charactors, which I couldn't possibly remember sinse I only had to type it in once a year (this was before they instigated monthly quarrantine checks). I then had the anual ritual of ringing I.T. being told to read it from my student card, patiently explaining that this was not exactly the world's best plan, requesting that they mail it to me, and finally having to physically trot down to the I.T. dept with my card so they could read it, because of course they have no possible way of retrieving it from their system.

then we have the password. Despite the fact that i use a standard list of passwords I can remember for websites and forums and such (including my 20 charactor paypal one), the I.T. password has to follow such a long list of requirements such as must contain capital letters and lower case, must contain numbers, must have two letters then a number, that I couldn't be bothered to try and remember one so just wrote the standard randomly assigned I.T. password down in a word document and C&P it as needed, and god speed to any hackers who may come across it!

Sorry for the severe offtopicitude of this post, though if you ask me, inept i.t. people are the worst sort of computer virus imaginable ----- I wish there was a program to scan and delete them!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-09-21 02:19:21 (edited by cx2 2006-09-21 02:21:25)

lol, sounds like we could have a great time swapping stories of idiocy... but I'll leave it here so as not to drag the topic even further off.

Edit:
Just realised, the more they specify for a password the easier it is for a hacker to guess. If it has to contain two letters followed by a number for example. Sheer lunacy.

cx2
-----