2011-11-08 13:39:23

Hi folks!

After some requests, I have decided to release a much longer audio demo of my upcoming game Perilous Hearts. In this demo I explore the store at the start of the adventure where you can build up your inventory so to speak, and then I go on to complete levels 1 and 2. Note that if you do not want any plot or strategy spoilers, do not listen!

Also note that if you are offended or otherwise affected by the killing of little virtual monkeys, this may not be suitable for you either as I do end up killing quite a few of the little cuddly things. And oh how I enjoy it! Smirk.

I would very much appreciate everyones feedback on this. There's obviously lots more further ahead in the adventure, but this gives a much better introduction to the game than what I provided in my last speech.

The link is:
http://www.blastbay.com/audio/perilous_ … e_demo.mp3

Enjoy!

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall

2011-11-08 13:45:42

I! am! crazy! about! iiiiiiiiiiit! oh yeaaaaaaaaah! You can't know how I am looking forward to it!

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-11-08 17:35:42

Hi Philip,

You know, if anything, you just became responsible for two things:
1. A chuckle from me because of how you get into the game while playing, which makes me want to silently install a microphone next to your desk somewhere hidden so we can all hear your excitement while playing, and...
2. The loss of those couple of dollars it takes me to buy this game. Lol!

Great job. From what I've heard, I'm quite impressed. big_smile
So, may you never get bored again. After all, you have code to write! tongue

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2011-11-08 18:13:46

well done

it's a perfect game,

by the way, why didn't you use your spear at all in close combat? after all you've bought that, instead you were fighting with a knife which i have no idea where did you get it

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2011-11-08 18:29:27

Hi,

Wait, as far as I've heard he didn't go for the speer. I take it the knife is something you just... Er... Take with you, I guess? Always handy to have one of those around...

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-11-08 19:08:10

Hi.
Philip I like your humor. Especially the drug pill. smile It would be awesome if alcohol was featured in some way. smile Having that said though, you might have to keep in mind that this is mostly an european kind of humor as far as I know. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
This game sounds really, really great. I like the way that you can wander around and do what you want before going on your mission. Sounds like things are randomly happening around you which is awesome. I like that you can shoot upwards or downwards, and just start a fire and the way you make food. Sounds much more like a mainstream game.
The store at the beginning of the game is a great idea, which makes players to use different strategies.
I love the idea of unlocking things.
I currently don't have more to say than I look very much forward to play this game. Keep up the great work which I'm sure you'll do. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2011-11-08 19:17:52

LOL. pritteylittle monkey, bang! oh noo i shot the little monkey
philip i'd really enjoyed that demo the best demo i've ever herd.
I really enjoy the fact that the anamals fight eachother.
I can't wait to get this game and start maiming monkeys!
Yeah,i no, i'm cruel but it's sooo fun listening to there little crys of terror while being roasted alive. muahahahaha

I'm gone for real :)

2011-11-08 19:29:57

Awsome demo as I already said on the mailing list.

i don't know if I'd want a mike next to philip, he has a rather disturbing sadistic twist when it goes to monkies and I do wonder where he got all those sounds, ---- maybe he has a monkey torture chamber in his basement big_smile.

The drug pill is certainly fun. maybe it'll actually turn out that Mellany isn't a volunteer worker at all but a drug smuggling agent working for interpol, and those villagers are growing highly pieceful plants which she's attempting o destroy, thus going for the final fight of the game, Jim vs melany assisted by a rabid hippopotamus and five chocolate soldiers from out of his fevered imagination.

Can you save the world of dreams, ---- or at least interesting visions from the evil authorities? big_smile.

Again, very much a joke there, I'm actually quite interested to know what the overall plot will be even though kidnapped girl plotlines aren't something I'm too keen on personally.

hadi, as Ghorthalen said, Philip didn't buy the spear, or indeed the pepper spray, but obviously Jim starts with his own knife rather than having to buy it, which makes a lot of sense both logically (it'd be stupid to go to the jungle wihout one), and as game play mechanics sinse the knife is also used for butchering corpses so you would be stuck on the first level without it.

I once in fact read a book called Hatchet, about a boy lost in the wilds of canida after a plane crash. The only thing he had with him was a small hatchet his father game him to go camping with. He began by using the hatchet to kill animals, at one point tying it onto the end of a stick to make a spear, then he started making other tools, chopping wood for kindling so that he could use flint to spark a fire, making a shelter by chopping up small branches etc.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-11-08 19:30:10

I'll definitely be buying this one as soon as possible. And while I probably won't post many updates it's inspired me to get back into BGT, which due to life in general has been put on the back burner for a while. But my imagination has been busy with lots of game ideas, none of wich I'm ready to actually code but which I've been trying to jot down so that the groundwork is already in place when the time does come. I mentioned one of them a while back, the Pirates! game, which I'm going to sit down and have a long talk with my brother about when he comes for Thanksgiving. He used to play that game a lot in his younger days so he'd be th best person I think for getting info on how best to make the game in audio.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2011-11-08 19:55:49

yarrr! that be good bryan. If you need voices let me know, I've actually been in several productions of pirates and thus am used to doing the voice.

I also will be buying this as as soon as possible too, sinse I deffinately like the way iit's going, though of course it might stil be quite a while before the game is ready to be released.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-11-08 20:02:52

Oh I'll definitely need voies. Because while I'll let Sapi handle stat changes and things like that (and of course in a game like this there'll be a lot of that to keep trac of), all character voices will be human. One thing I forgot to mention in my topic on this game is that sometimes depending on what time period you choose, a nation that might be friendly to you in one decade might not be, meaning that while you might not necessarily always find yourself in constant danger it would make it harder sometimes to make headway in those regions. It would certainly be possible to earn the respect of some key people there, meaning you could get missions or rank, but yoou would have to complete various tasks for them, such as defending the town from invading pirates or pirating goods from somewhere else.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2011-11-09 16:44:05

o no. I think I'll explode if this game won't turn out good from we had heard in the demo.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2011-11-09 19:02:20

Wow, this'll definitely be a blast from, uh, blastbay studios smile
I really like what the game has to offer, very realistic even though I'm not actually the one playing the game. Some elements like firing in trees at creatures below are quite unique for an audio game, very good job on that.
I'll definitely look forward to playing this game.

2011-11-09 19:25:18

Agreed. And it gives me some ideas for what I might do if I were ever to design a game in the style of Metroid. Of course if my Pirates game is months or years down the road a Metroid style game is probably even further in the future. And in a way Pirates is probably easier since it would be mostly menu driven with sound, music and voices for atmosphere.

2011-11-09 19:37:53

Well Bryan I'm not sure how 2D perilous hearts is, sinse I'm not sure for instance whether you can jump to ledges of different hights or whether there is just one level of ledges above the other, we'll just have to see in more complex levels when the game is released.

As to the pirates game I like the sound of that one, though I think aprone has shown pretty conclusively with games like lunimals and castaways that mainly menue driven interfaces don't make for dull games.

2011-11-09 19:43:49

great job Philip, don't know if your taking suggestions, but here goes.

The gun sound is good, but the whistle sound doesn't make much sense for a gun, maybe a zing sound would be more realistic, just an idea.

O, and I don't know if there's any way to here bullet impacts, but either they weren't there or they were too quiet, because It would be easier to here if you shoot things, even though they scream, sometimes there far away.

Nice music and story by the way, o, and a pretty cheap, relativly good sounding cardioid mic is the blue snowball, it's pretty good for voices, and it comes with it's own stand.

I like jim's comments about food and such, how, Philip like of him, smiles.

I wish you would have used the revolver though, didn't get to here that, but the gun sounds are excelent so far.

O, and it seemed a bit slow at switching weapons, weather that was just you playing with 1 hand or not that did that, I don't know, but if you need to change from long to short range real fast, a knife, as you so grimly pointed out, is not going to work on a bhor, smiles.

Excelent, I'll be saving up, I must preorder it!!!

Lol

Now I'm going to listen to that demo again.

2011-11-09 20:59:39

nice job so far, loving the different ground types, not just grass al the way through got quick sand and water as far as i could see.
cant wait for the release!
wink

don't look back, cause you'll loose the road ahead.

2011-11-09 22:57:39

wow!

2011-11-09 23:14:19

Switching weapons is actually pretty fast and convenient but you can only switch to a different weapon when your current one is not being used any more. So, if you want to reload the rifle and then quickly switch to the revolver, you have to wait until the rifle is completely reloaded before you will be able to make the switch. Hope this makes sense,
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-11-09 23:59:55

Actually Jondalar, the whitsle sound isn't entirely inaccurate. I've been around guns for a lot of my life and even fired them on many occasions. Sometimes when a bullet rickochets off, say, an outcropping of rock, it does indeed make a kind of whistling sound. It can be a pretty long one sometimes LOL.

2011-11-10 03:07:30

Love the demo. Hope to see more soon.

2011-11-10 15:28:56

I would gladdly pre-order this!

Philip> Where do you found the "tree-climbing"sounds which are played when Jim walkes on the branch?

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2011-11-10 16:00:38

Hi Dark,
Um...Perilous hearts is most definitely 2-D. If you listened to the deom, you'd knwo that at one point Philip has to climb into a tree to get across quicksand: I'm not sure how you define 2-D if that's not.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-11-10 17:19:33

Where did he find the tree sounds? He climbed it likely.
This one's critical, so answer soon as possible. How good does this run on 64-bit systems? Many games I tried can't run at all, and that would be a show stopper if the answer was no. It's mostly newer ones that finally can run on the platform.

2011-11-10 17:22:23

Hi,

I have hardly seen any game at all that didn't run with a 64 bit system. So far, each one I tried worked just fine. This is written in BGT, and BGT games work just fine with a 64-bit version of Windows... At least I'm strongly guessing it's BGT. I mean, it's Philip writing it after all, right? big_smile

--
Talon
Code is poetry.